Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I'm glad Deep Six is back, I always felt like it never got enough chances to gently caress stuff up compared to it's sheer destructive potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Stone Punkbull 141 posted:

The same parent that turned around on Deep Six still hates Huge and Mammoth with a passion despite pointing out that both manage to win fights.

She laughed her rear end off when Icewave ripped Huge in two.

All three of those bots rule. I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

They should add some slight hills or elevation too. Varied terrain is more interesting and would mix things up

This was my thought but I immediately realized that it would probably only serve to limit the viable drivetrain options. It's something I don't think about much because you can't really see it, but sometimes in a clinch you'll notice that one bot clearly has the superior drive power and/or traction and I realize how major that is for control. One of the builders also mentioned in a voiceover how 4WD has become a big part of the meta too. I'd be afraid that bots like Huge would get hosed over too much depending on the terrain. Though it'd be interesting for other design constraints, like I imagine Tombstone's design is not ideal if it's not totally flat.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I totally forgot that they tried to stage a few giant robot fights, turns out they're all hilariously bad. I timestamped the "action".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLkmufCkqi4&t=597s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-ouLX8Q9UM&t=512s

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

This is a pretty solid counterexample but they're not legal Battlebots since they only have flamethrowers. The idea of using twin heavily armored wedgebots to box rush dangerous weapons is a good one, but it's still just a wedgebot meta. They took a decent beating anyway and if you have to add an active weapon you're losing a lot of armor.

Tombstone's also not the best example since it's so volatile. Pick any other spinner that doesn't tend to destroy itself and it takes a lot more than a gentle tag team to get a KO. Maybe you can win with speed and drivetrain power if pure wedges are allowed, but the Battlebots rules really disadvantage multibots. And once you add active weapons to your smaller bots now you just have to deal with them being dinkier than everyone else's.

Ror fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 6, 2022

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Rondette posted:

I loved seeing Huge on the stage. Is there any other robot that could get up there??

I think it's the only one that could just drive up, maybe a flipper could launch themselves onto it.

I loved how cavalier the Blip team was with self-flipping. I was nervous the whole time expecting some classic break-your-own-bot schadenfreude, but that lil guy is sturdy.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

ante posted:

I also like the Skorpios team although I was surprised and horrified that the captain/driver Zack guy is younger than me (he's like, 32)

This is blowing my mind, it's not just his looks, he seems like he has such dad energy. I had him pegged at mid-40s / 50ish.

Also this meme amused me

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I totally forgot that Jamison Go was on team cat ears for the first season. I know all the BB teams are basically friends but I'd be pretty jealous of Sawblaze if I were Charles Guan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Anything that references Greek mythology is automatically bad, sorry.

I think Minotaur is named after the actual minotaur from history, not the myths based of it.