Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I'm hoping to see Double Jeopardy do something, at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

PostNouveau posted:

Pretty good fight for a YouTube exclusive!

Near the end of that one you can definitely see that Deadlift's frame was warped to the point where it was only driving on 2-3 of its wheels!

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Fish Of Doom posted:

Tantrum was a top 4 bot last year. It's almost indestructible and very fast. The guy who used to drive Tantrum is now driving Blip and he's really good. So yeah, there's both very strong contenders.

I currently view Blip as "Hydra, but more durable." I hope it lives up to that.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Didn't deep six double KO against (with?) nelly the ellybot?

Edit yep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LF9ajD9XcU

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
How blip's flipper works is pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzZufNCXaeE

They push a spinning flywheel into a clutch using a pair of what looks like hand-made solenoids, which begins twisting a synthetic fiber cord. The cord acts as a continuously variable transmission, so it starts out with very little force but ramps up as it continues to twist and shorten in length, which probably goes a long way toward not destroying itself. The cord pulls a sliding assembly inward, and that interfaces with the flipping arm with gear teeth. Springs pull everything back into firing position after the flywheel has lost its momentum.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

sweet geek swag posted:

Nah, Shatter's hammer isn't decorative, it's actually pretty good at penetrating medium weight armor, it just has to hit something important to be useful. Beta doesn't have that limitation, but can't penetrate well designed armor. At that point you are just hoping something shakes loose.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

One of the Mad Catter people tried to build a flywheel hammerbot once and he quickly realized that was a terrible idea

Lol

That's the core problem with hammers. The strongest weapons let you add potential energy over time, particularly with spinners. With most styles of hammer, you're limited to whatever energy you can get from a gas cylinder or a quick pulse of an electric motor. I think hydra and it's flipper get around this a little bit since they've got an active pump to keep pressure.

rarbatrol fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 1, 2022

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Xelkelvos posted:

I think something as simple as making the floor deliberately bumpy would do a lost to change up designs.

I'd also like to see lower weight class fights. Probably something in the 100lbs range. Maybe as a team fight.

Yeah, even just having 1-2 floor plates that are slightly bowed inward/outward would have a huge impact.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

ante posted:

I'm excited to see how they do, they're the most interesting new concept to be developed in a while.

They talked about why they wheelie in one of their YouTube videos. Basically they have a huge flywheel internally, oriented kinda like where a steering wheel would be. The gyroscopic forces don't like moving in that direction when Blip moves forward, so the resistance causes it to pop a wheelie.

I don't know what it looks inside, but a future redesign could orient the flywheel like a horizontal spinner. That would allow free movement in any of the directions you want free movement in - forward, back, and side to side - but would prevent changes in really good ways, too. It would be nearly impossible to flip, and world always remain planted on the floor. It could be incredible, if they could make it fit.

The team posted a montage video of its development https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzZufNCXaeE and well... that bot looks like it's mostly weapon mechanism by volume. I think you could probably reorient it, but it's probably much easier said than done.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I've always felt that teams could build in a lot of extra smarts in their control logic to compensate for things like gyroscopic force, being inverted, losing a portion of their drive motors, etc. I guess they'd have to have a working robot for long enough to do extensive testing, though.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know why they kept any OOB area at all if their new rules is going to be so vague as "don't do it intentionally".

I think the only corner that it's still possible is where the entrance is. That part of the lower wall is hinged and behind it is the door.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
On tantrum vs hydra: control goes to hydra, no question. Damage is probably tantrum, since while hydra did a ton of flipping, didn't seem to have a noticeable effect. Aggression leaves a lot of room for interpretation, but I bet the judges favored the driver that did more charging than pointing at the opponent while stationary. To me, Jake's driving was the definition of defensive.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Borsche69 posted:

idk, circling the opponent also seems like the definition of defensive. you aren't engaging, you're waiting for the perfect shot. you don't get points for aggression just because you're faster.

On the merits of the footage alone, maybe? But we know how the teams drive and their motivations for doing it. Hydra wants to be used as a ramp and will sit there waiting for the moment, and tantrum needs to get partially under a robot in order to get a solid hit with their weapon, so they try to get around to the side. I have a feeling if tantrum had been more damaged during the fight, hydra would have been given both more damage AND more aggression points.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Narsham posted:

Given that Tantrum won the final thanks to damage done to Witch Doctor's undercarriage by that spinner, I don't agree with your "in practice" comment.

I think this is the hidden strength of tantrum's weapon: it hits in hard to predict (or hard to account for) areas on a robot. It's not especially powerful, but it can be surprising when it connects.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
That's probably why Double Jeopardy's weapon had such a large projectile, making it more of a ranged hammer bot.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Great Beer posted:

The two things I noticed is that while he stresses their importance, driving and weapon testing aren't always possible. The weapon even on an ant can be dangerous enough you shouldn't spin it up outside a test box or arena. And definitely don't hit things with it. And robots drive very differently with the weapon spinning which means your driving practice might not mean much if it suddenly becomes very difficult to turn once you spin up.

Weapon testing at that weight class is sketchy at best. There's a video on youtube from the team behind bloodsport where they shred some random office stuff in a parking lot behind what appears to be a strip mall at the edge of town, and even though they're relatively cautious about how they went about testing it, it's still pretty clear they weren't actually safe from being struck by debris.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Great Beer posted:

Quantum did this a few years ago to devastating effect. But the rest of the robot didn't work so well.

Yeah, it's definitely possible but you're usually introducing mechanical complexity and extra weight - not easy for something that's going to be slapped with a 200mph spinning hunk of metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I hope they do, mecanum wheels are a ton of fun on just about any robot. I have to wonder how they'd stand up to Endgame landing a hit on another robot though, that'd be a ton of force applied against those 45-degree rollers.