Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Chomp will return next season a completely autonomous killing machine with chainsaws for hands and a hundred legs each one capable of independent AI-driven action and it will go 0-4 and lose to Rusty.

Railing Kill posted:

My newbie impression from all that I saw was that Minotaur and its driver loving rule, and I hope they win it all someday. I would say Tombstone because :piss: that bot is lethal and its driver seems like a fun dude, but that thing has won like a bazillion times.

I think Tombstone is my favorite bot. Not because it's all that dominant anymore; it seems like most of the best teams have figured out how to beat it. But rather because most teams have to be equipped to beat it. It's the crucible that forges all the other good bots.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Railing Kill posted:

I saw those too. BTW, what is the difference between Bounty Hunters and the main show? All of the matches I watched on YT were just the matches, divorced of context. Was it a play-in to fight against the reigning champ or something, just as an excuse to have more bot fights?

Yeah just an excuse to have more fights, which Discovery used as an incentive to get Discovery+ because they were exclusive to that initially (they did wind up airing them on Discovery Channel after the season). I think they shot them after the season ended with whoever still had working bots. 8 bot tournament, and the winner would fight a well-established bot like Tombstone or Witch Doctor for a $25,000 prize.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

NightGyr posted:

Practically speaking, bounty hunters was a way to fill time between the quarter/semi/final matches when only a few bots were left and teams needed time for repairs.

Oh, shoot. I wish I didn't know that because doesn't that mean the participants definitely didn't make the quarters? Spoils the postseason.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Pretty much. You probably shouldn't have read that goon's post if you still haven't seen or are watching the 2020 season... :lol:

I wonder if they're doing Bounty Hunters again for 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hypnolobster posted:

I, for one, think all battlebots should be superheavyweight walkers that take full advantage of the weight bonus with weird nonsense weapons that don't really work.

:hmmyes:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

I want Minotaur to go all the way this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkbAcwYix7I

Minotaur has been lurking on the edge for so long.

I also want to believe this is the year Witch Doctor gets their hardware poo poo together

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I thought this was a good rundown of all the competitors. I thought I'd gotten it from this thread but then I checked and didn't see it in here, so it must have been a recommendation off a Norwalk video or something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rvaj8nyFGE

- Rotator and Tombstone looking real good

- Apparently Huge has put some work into making their weapon deadlier.

- Rusty now has a team and an actual fabricated body this year (built to look like the old model)

- Duck is uglier because they made new rules that lifters have to be able to lift a certain amount a certain height, so the bill had to get longer

- Bite Force not only isn't competing, but they put out a statement about how bot builders should get paid more. Apparently, when it was a network show, the teams got pretty good compensation, but the only thing Discovery gives them is it ships their bots (for the U.S. and U.K. teams) and pays for hotels. Bite Force wanted to do a big overhauls and try something very new with the bot, but the cost wasn't feasible with Discovery not paying anything. Emphasized that every robot is a money-losing venture across-the-board.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I recall the online "exclusives" in the past were fights with quick weapon malfunctions that turned into shoving matches.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I haven't seen that much of the new arena accept for what's in the trailer in the OP. But keeping bots from getting stuck between the plexiglass and the rail was a pretty big priority for Battlebots. They were pretty afraid a bot would get stuck there while on fire and they'd have to replace the section before the next fight.

Ohhhhh, is that why they got rid of the ringouts? That makes sense. I had heard vaguely that there was a safety reason for it but didn't find the specifics.

Gort posted:

I'll be interested to see what Hydra can even do in the new Arena now that there's no "out" to flip people to. Maybe people can still get stuck between the plexiglass and the edge of the arena or something.

The Skorpios video above says that the "Shelf" is the new "out area," and they've taken more precautions to prevent bots from sticking between the plexiglass and area edge.

Also the Shelf makes these little contained boxes that should disadvantage vertical spinners this year because you can box your opponent in and make it very hard for them to escape and get distance to spin up their weapons.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 5, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It seems like the new arena is going to make driver skill a lot more important and probably reduce the amount of earth-shattering hits (although most of those occur in the initial rushdown anyway, and that's still going to happen).

I dunno if I'll like it more or not, but I'm interested to see how it goes. I'm a little pessimistic because I'm more of a fan of big hits and carnage, but I am eager to be proven wrong.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

You can just drive off the Shelf though, it's not like getting yeeted into the corner and being instantly knocked out. You only get knocked out if you stay up there

https://battlebots.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/BattleBots-Tournament-Rules.Rev_.2021.0.pdf

Oh, sounds like it's not really the "out" area then

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

logikv9 posted:

hydra triggers controversy again with a lifter attachment that allows it to flip while hiding on the shelf

"I'm actually on the ground" insists team wyachi as the referee feebly weeps in a corner

lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's robot fighting time!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm not really a Sawblaze believer. I think they win with good driving a lot but that weapon's never been much to write home about. It's like a less-effective Whiplash. I'd think Minotaur takes this one.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
One of the most effective flame throwerings ever. Usually those things don't do poo poo unless you hold the other bot still and roast them for like 15 seconds straight

Same judges this year? I remember one of the dudes was kind of a dipshit last year

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Gigabyte owned goaled themselves there

Ah they weren't gonna win no matter what they did

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah a new looking design

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah Tombstone time

How can the arm not self right

Did it move on its own at any point? It got bounced around, but it seemed like they lost the ability to move the arm themselves.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That ruled

Time for 2 minutes of them of them shoving each other around unless this fire kills Tombstone

They were talking last year about hardening Captain Shredderator up a lot. Seems like they did it!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
We've replaced Blacksmith with Sawblaze. Let's see if the fans notice

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Sweet fight. I'd give it to Blacksmith

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:drat:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hydra gonna do it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol immediate flipper malfunction

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lol

Getting stuck in the saws for a blip completely disabled Hydra

It was smoking right out of the box too. Did not look itself at all.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

There's not too many teams that come in with a fantastic bot in their first match. The 250lb builds these teams are doing are basically impossible to actually test weapons on until they are in the box... That fight was quite likely the 1st time they ever had the drum spinning and attempted to hit something with it or even move the arm with it spinning.

It's a pretty good design and will likely do some serious damage once they dial it in.

I feel like the movement of the arm was working against them a lot. There was a lot of talk about the strength of that weapon in the pre-fight video, but then the hits did not look that big. It seemed like a lot of the energy was going back into the free-moving arm.

Putting a multi-disc weapon on an arm and getting a high angle on the opponents is a cool innovation on its own. I don't remember the arm moving in the fight in a way that made it look like the Switchback team was doing it, so I don't think they intended to rotate it during the fight.

So, then the best way to improve the weapon would be for that arm to be super locked down during the fight, right?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Also, I think we're getting to a point where the bots have gotten hearty enough that Tombstone is no longer favored in most of its fights.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pararoid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA27O7yy90Q
BattleBots Bonus Fight: Jackpot vs. Deadlift

Pretty good fight for a YouTube exclusive!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
A cool breakdown of the Tombstone vs. Shredderator fight by a bot builder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpY4bncxoss

He proves what logikv9 was saying about Tombstone's teeth being a bad idea because it unbalanced the bar, thus the whole robot, if one tooth breaks off but not the other. He unbalances one of his bots weapons and it's basically inoperable real fast.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Didn't Rotator win a bounty tournament last year?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Defender should consider installing a weapon

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I like how they clearly just try to schedule weird fights for the weird robots. Let's make Mammoth fight the lowest to the ground robot in the field

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh wow, Mammoth doing actual damage to someone. There's a first time for everything!

Edit: Ah, OK you can see on the slo mo Mammoth just kinda unbalanced Hijinks a bit and it hosed itself up through the blade hitting the ground.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Kraken-Rotator should be awesome

I forgot the rules if they get stuck are "We send a dude out with a crowbar to see if he can get them apart"

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 14, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So many pieces of Kraken all over the box

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Tantrum-Malice went about as you'd expect

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This should be a great one. Gotta bet on Whiplash of course

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, he actually got a shelf knockout!

Well if anybody was gonna do it ...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

It's vaguely bullshit you can be counted out that late in a match

Nah, they didn't move for like 25 seconds before the countdown even started.

I thought the rules were that a 10-second countdown starts as soon as you're on the shelf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Obviously they should make the bar out of whatever the black box is made of