Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm so glad this is back, goddamn I've missed this :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bertha the Toaster posted:

So. Much. FIRE.

Imagine being asked to build something that has to survive being on fire for two minutes, and pulling it off. Its mind blowing how hardened some of these machines are.

Switchback was about as unimpressive as I expected it to be. Its great to some kind of innovation but they seem to have gone too far too fast, especially for such an inexperienced team.

A drum spinner which they could use at different heights and smash onto the top of their opponents would be an amazing weapon if they can get it to work, I hope they iron out the kinks

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Bonus fight: Claw Viper vs. Pardon my French

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygZ5QKTB2dM

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 23, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

:haw:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JT Jag posted:

Oof, bad luck for Tombstone

Oh it goes to the judges, good for Tombstone

Tombstone hits so hard, it took out two bots in just one blow. Unfortunately one of those two bots was Tombstone itself. :v:

Hilariously, Mammoth's plan of letting Tombstone go hog wild until it hosed itself up almost worked perfectly apart from one little detail.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Youtube bonus fight, Valkyrie v Triple Crown (world's largest fidget spinner)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfWOehOcZ3k

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PostNouveau posted:

Aw, Triple Crown team is adorable. They look like if my parents build a fighting robot in their garage

Ha ha that was pretty much my exact reaction as well, it looks like Central Casting put out a call for lovable grandparents. I felt bad for them when their robot only lasted 12 seconds before it was catastrophically damaged

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I'm not expecting much, surely we've all realised by now that the YouTube fights are a bit dull and boring? Which is a shame, because I would like it to be a good fight but it being a YouTube fight makes me think its going to be rubbish.

Yeah they obviously keep all the good fights for the actual broadcast and then they go through the fights which didn't make the grade and pick the "best of the worst" for the Youtube release. I'm guessing that either Smeeeeeeeeee gest wrecked within the first few seconds of the fight or Deep Six gets unbalanced and self destructs without Smeeeeeeeeeeeeeee really doing anything

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The thumbnail image gives away the entire fight lol

We knew something was going to happen but that wasn't one of our guesses. :v: Full points to team Smeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee for trying their best to help Deep Six get back into the fight even if their bot wasn't capable of that at all

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 13, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Building your bot so that it balances on skids which are narrower than the killsaw slots is a fatal design error which pretty much guarantees that's going to happen

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It sounded like Deep Six's driver wanted Smeeeeeeeeeeeeeee to tip them even further forwards so their weapon would hit the floor and flip them back out but that also could have gone horribly wrong. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xelkelvos posted:

I think something as simple as making the floor deliberately bumpy would do a lost to change up designs.

I'd also like to see lower weight class fights. Probably something in the 100lbs range. Maybe as a team fight.

gently caress, team fights would be rad in the 250lbs division. Especially if they could coordinate and retool their bots so that they complemented each other's strengths and weaknesses

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh boy, imagine if last season's Duck had a flipper built under it so it could just cannonball itself into the other bots ......

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Youtube bonus fight, Switchback v Slammo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEYcgFJ4xbE

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm telling you, 500 1 pound bots. Name them the Smiths.

One of them is pretty much guaranteed to slide underneath and highcenter most other bots so they win by count out, they just have to make sure that at least 251 of the nanobots survive until that happens

Of course if the opponent isn't groundhugging they're pretty much hosed .....

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zedd posted:

That looks like Gyroscopic hell to drive.

Just add another pair of spinners angled in the opposite direction and then you got a stew going

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chronojam posted:

The best part at the end was Minotaur trying to help and instead just buzzing off one of the stabilizers instead

Yeah it had a real "Lenny trying to pet the fluffy bunnies" vibe to it. :v:

E: I guess it's a case of "If the only tool you have is a hammer eggbeater then every problem looks like a nail egg"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Little video with Scorpios hanging out with Bunny from Team Malice... Also some blaming of Bloodsport for the teams that only had 2 fights. AKA teams not having a reason to go full out if the are 2-0, so Battlebots just not giving them a 3rd fight.

Also a bolt tease pic of whatever is likely coming to Discovery Plus for Bounty Hunters 2. Speculation from it though is... The winners from last season are the bounties

Here's a link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3uTOuKAGlw

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

(More hypershock vs P1 spoilers) Yea, I'm no P1 fan, but they 100% got that win IMO. Even though it was mostly luck on the timing, they lifted their lifter at just the right time to give Hypershock the giant ramp that hosed them for the whole fight...

Yeah I gotta say the decision to not put a self-righter on Hypershock was a fatal flaw, especially when their first tournament fight was against a flipper/control bot. I'm disappointed in the result but not surprised.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Endgame is just on another level this year. 4 fights, 4 knockouts & their total fight time is just over 4 minutes for the season...

I'm rooting for Minotaur, but I'm not really sure anyone is going to be able to stop Endgame from getting another nut this season if nobody even gives them damage they have to repair between fights...

Punting Sawblaze out of the arena about 20 seconds into the fight was a hell of a way to plant their flag on this season and say "Come take it from us", that poo poo was crazy

Of course they're facing Minotaur next so their run might come to an abrupt end real soon :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I'd prefer a way nerdier format that goes into the engineering and design process over the stupid mma whooping poo poo.

I was watching some really old fights and the commentator kept saying poo poo like "[robot] will be starting from the red square and they've never had a winning bout starting from that side of the battle box" and it was dumb as hell

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Can they please retire Shrederator now

E: here's Jake Ewert with some behind the scenes footage of the sneaky preparations for their Ribbot fight. "Wedgelets? Oh sure technically the bot still has the exact wedgelets we showed in the photo we sent to production so they knew what we were entering into the fight, wink wink "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tigIA-PwvEE

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 27, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Eh, I've always assumed that their flag motif happened after they realised the bot they'd built was shaped like Captain America's shield and was always more of a gimmick than a stance

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fish Of Doom posted:

If you think the American theme is over the top now, look at the outfits the team used to wear.

Holy poo poo they went the full Hacksaw Jim Duggan

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If Hydra ends up winning the whole shebang I'm going to laugh so much

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It was pretty lovely of the Minotaur team to not accept the result, it was a unanimous judges' decision so it's not like there was any ambiguity there. I blame the referees for the match being such a mess, they made some bad calls. I guess the lovely design of the shelf was also a big factor.
The misogyny from the audience is also super disappointing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also I guess one of the big problems is that the refs seem to be acting independently even from each other and can't confer with each other. I suspect a big factor in this is the giant perspex covid shield between the two teams which means they can't hear each other during the match

If Witch Doctor held off on attacking Minotaur because their ref kept assuring them a count out was about to start then that's a problem.

Also I guess if the teams had started from different sides then that other ref would have definitely counted out Minotaur halfway through the match

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

beepsandboops posted:

I know they never made it to the televised stuff, but I still can't over how Hellachopper just straight up used Nazi imagery

Holy poo poo, they slapped the fuckin' SS Totenkopf on everything. :catstare:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Dang, there were 3 top tier fights in that episode and they were all Hypershock tearing the poo poo out of their opponents. :v: I'm glad they won outright, everything came together for them and they were firing on all cylinders.

It's also really great to see the boring "sit back and let the opponent come to me" tactics used by full body spinners backfire on them spectacularly. :kheldragar:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Otteration posted:

I said it last season, but the mad catter dude just needs to find a way to back out of his WWE persona. He never will, of course, and I will never be able to not ff through his appearances. Sucks that they hugely lost, but thanks to him I was not rooting for them anyway.

Same, it was funny the first time but it's just been tedious and annoying ever since

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They even gave him an 'out' to drop the persona this episode when Team Hypershock walked out doing an impression of him (and doing it better since they incorporated a wrestling move with the folding chair), he could have done a Will Bales impression in response.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's Malice v Madcatter back in season 5 where they got stranded on their rear end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5s1OXKI-aw

They added a little butt spike for Bounty Hunters which was supposed to avoid that happening again but it didn't work and history repeated itself:
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1if4y157eN/

In season 6 they added a sizeable plastic butt triangle:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Aug 11, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PostNouveau posted:

Really cool double-flip by Deep Six on Shatter. I don't know how the physics even worked on that shot that sent Deep Six across the box.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Shatter took one hell of a bearing from Deep Six

Rip

Yeah that one-two shot where Deep Six knocked them up into the air and then smacked them again while they were in mid-air was like something out of an anime battle :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Alex Hattori looked so apologetic when he exploded Free Shipping again, the puppy dog eyes look he gave Gary Gin was hilarious. :v:

PostNouveau posted:

Overall, a lot of weak matches this episode.

Yeah a lot of fights where they flailed at each other and then had to wait for a judges decision, or a bot tripped right out of the gate and basically handed the win to the opponent. And that arena floor was super rough which slowed some fights to a crawl.
I was also looking forwards to some craziness from Mammoth but that just wasn't on the cards which was real disappointing. :(

Lots of low points but I think the highlights made up for it, there were a few absolutely classic moments in there.

PostNouveau posted:

The Glitch captain is so bad on camera. He may be the worst interviewee in the field
The poor dude was so frazzled, I'm guessing he was running on about 2 hrs of sleep and was barely aware of what was going on. :v:

His mention of wanting an "unbranded energy drink" was pretty weird, I suspect that he originally said something like "I need a Red Bull" and the producers made him redo the line. I also noticed that Faruq compared Uppercut to a "Rock You, Sock You" toy robot instead of the actual brand name "Rock 'Em Sock 'Em".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PostNouveau posted:

Pre-show, I'll predict Bloodsport advances to finals and loses to Skorpios.

I'll predict that the finals is Bloodsport v Lucky and the winner will be determined by which bot has the least mechanical issues from the previous 2 fights. Skorpios will be really hard to beat.

Cinderella longshot prediction: Blade V3.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
LOL @ Shrederator making excuses before the fight even begins, and then smashing the head off Ghost Raptor and still managing to lose. They snatched defeat from the jaws of victory!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ante posted:

Hypershock origin story:

Holy poo poo it's Baby Will Bales, he's so young his voice is just breaking. :v:

E: Bot Whisperer Pete Abrahamson at 10:44

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 4, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PostNouveau posted:

Buddy Lee Don't Play in the Street and Witch Doctor cameos at the end

Those fights are also still up on Youtube from when fans uploaded them back in 2011 :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwjiqRA8R1w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN4Yqtwb0Pc

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
:woop:
Aw yeah that was some excellent robot fight action

Poor old Witch Doctor always being the bridesmaid, never the bride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Agreeing with Chronojam, this is all great news.

Also it's great that Fon Davis is joining the show, he was best buds with Grant Imahara. :unsmith: