Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Narsham posted:

Given the number of bots that shut down ten seconds into the fight because of a loose wire, Duck’s ability to take a licking is impressive and shouldn’t be discounted. Tombstone forces designers who want to win to figure out how to beat it, and that’s been good for design. The problem with Duck is that not enough designers are thinking about how to beat it: overcoming an effective and reliable defensive bot should be on the list, but there’s still a few designers who seem to plan for the opponent’s bot failing instead of theirs winning.

Duck isn’t the problem, the problem is that more than one team has a bot with no winning strategy beyond “don’t lose.”

it's not complicated to understand.

duck's strategy is to make sure the match is as boring and low energy as possible.

a duck vs duck2 mirror match would be dull as hell.

Tombstone going against 2mbstone would be cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rules are here
https://battlebots.com/rules/

probably would fall under both "Fouling devices such as glue, nets, fishing line, ball bearings and such" and "Weapons that damage the other bot by destroying themselves."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Propaganda Machine posted:

This is a stupid question but I'll ask anyway-

The Tombstone guy used to have a bot called Last Rites which was pretty much the exact same bot. Why the name change?

poking at the wiki seems like multiple bots for multiple competitions with different rules + maybe some contractual stuff which resulted in multiple bots with the same name?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Losing to Mammoth has to be embarrassing, it's like a mixed martial artist losing a match by being slapped into unconsciousness

I love it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

At one point I did the math, and because jade is so insanely tough, replacing steel armor with the equivalent weight of jade seems logistically feasible.

Plus it'd be a cool gimmick.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

They should add some slight hills or elevation too. Varied terrain is more interesting and would mix things up

they have the little round gopher bumps

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Railing Kill posted:

I finally got a chance to catch up on the latest ep.

Was Tombstone v Mammoth the first double KO in Battlebots? Has this ever happened before in any other league? It seems like it would have by now.

Do bonus fights count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5uc3-13uJk

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

=
Tombstone could probably use some sort of an overhaul

I mean they're 0 and 2, that's worse than tombstone

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Doomba Brigade

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

I'm glad the hazards are bad so that indestructible shove bricks with no weapon can't actually win a fight (gently caress duck)

bad comparison, duck is hardly indestructible

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

As is tradition, I'm betting on HUGE winning it all

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Queering Wheel posted:

I honestly have no idea who's going to win so I picked purely based on gut and the bots I like more

heads up: you forgot the play-ins

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

I'll be honest, I really dont think Tantrum was the best bot this year

yeah but next year we'll see Rusty win

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Here's my alternative count-out procedure: on top of 'no motion at all for 10 seconds causing an automatic loss', either team may, at any time, put down their controller for 20 seconds and start a countdown for their opponent to hit them.

If the opponent can't hit an uncontrolled robot in 20 seconds, it loses instantly for not being capable of basic robot combat. If the robot DOES land a hit, the other team picks up their controllers and continue the match.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeNCR posted:

In my opinion, if Hydra had spent more time chasing down Tantrum instead of letting Tantrum dictate the pace of the fight they'd have won, however with the fight that happened, it's easy to score aggression 2-1 for Tantrum.

I think practically speaking, if they'd tried chasing tantrum Hydra would have done a lot worse, given their drivetrain and super low ground clearance

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

if only one bot deals noticeable damage, they get all the damage points

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Esoter1c posted:

That was a great episode, definitely some upsets.

Spreadsheet updated. Slick goku ran away with his bracket this week.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12K6qBzCbkdF1-wGOQmVQ3MxARZjrrTCnGfsCm17rx9c/edit
Would you mind updating it?
I managed to get the worst bracket two years running, but I wonder who won overall.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 10, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

beepsandboops posted:

I know they never made it to the televised stuff, but I still can't over how Hellachopper just straight up used Nazi imagery

Heilachopper

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bots are durable enough now that wedgebot vs wedgebot is just gonna be a robo sumo match, and not even an interesting one

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I talked to the BB site admin and they said they're taking the page down.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cheaper offseason with lightweight bots, do a travelling show

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The NHRL events do seem pretty well run and the live streams they do are really great. I pretty much always post a link a few days before their events. Lots of Battlebots participants there.

I just wish they had a higher production presentation, but that takes a lot of time and money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Chomp kinda sucks, but is the only bot to beat Bite Force somehow
Normal chomp is D tier, Awakened Chomp is S tier.