Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Different weight class. And if I recall, despite having the same design, they have surprisingly few parts in common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Found his reply in an AMA

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/lyptp2/comment/gpu6iox/

quote:

Last Rites was designed around the 220 pound class, and Tombstone around the 250 pound class. That may not sound like a lot, but it is enough that almost all of the parts are unique to each bot. I use the same motors for drive and weapon, but all of the manufactured parts (frame, motor mounts, weapon assemblies, etc.) are unique for each bot.

Obviously the design is very similar though.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.facebook.com/witchdrshaman/posts/4323931447711656

Looks like Tale of the Tape is officially done. :(

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Of course Derek was the Lockjaw vote. Come on dude

Goons were a mistake.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Bonus fight: Claw Viper vs. Pardon my French

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygZ5QKTB2dM

What a beast!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Or Huge

https://youtu.be/LwtgSlzQHI0

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Yeah, I like the idea a lot, but with a rookie team they were destined to fail this first season.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Captain Shredderator as a YouTube exclusive. Should be "fun".

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

On the other hand, I really appreciate Jameson Go's "Choose your Fighter" energy.

And "We're in the Endgame now" was a good sequel to "Bring Me Tombstone"

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

You know how in baseball* you can say that a play wasn't a homerun, it was a triple with an error from an outfielder? They shouldn't record this fight as a knockout, it was a judge's decision with an error from Deep Six.

*disclaimer: my knowledge this happening in baseball is limited to that time this came up in an episode of Seinfeld.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

bad comparison, duck is hardly indestructible

The original was. I believe it was machined as 1 solid piece with redundant trains in case any went down.

The current build is a shadow of its former self.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

History repeats.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Tantrum-Rotator is gonna be a hell of a fight

I'm not very excited. The battle of two bots much better at receiving than dealing damage.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Man, both them bots hit hard I dunno what you're talking about

Tantrum hits hard twice maybe, then something fucks up with the rails of its puncher.

Rotator theoretically can do some damage, but Victor Soto drives so conservatively that he'll be leading with the wedge side for 2:30 of the clock.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Fish Of Doom posted:

Tantrum, Blip, and Whiplash are pretty good bricks as well.

All of which have more interesting, aggressive driving than Rotator.

I wish they didn't get rid of the dual spinner gimmick. Maybe it wasn't the most competitive design, but at least it was something unique about the team.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

apatheticman posted:

End game is annoying because they always have those big forks, gently caress them forks.

It doesn't though? They've run wedgelets and plows previously.

They've gone a little more fork heavy this season, but EVERYBODY is running more forks this season.

The earlier post about their lovely color scheme and design is 100% on money tho

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I would give the Unrelenting Optimism and Sportsmanship in the Face of Crushing Defeat award to Gary Gin.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Minotaur is actually named after their other bot Touro Maximus. What that bot is named after is an exercise left to the reader.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ante posted:

Has anyone commented that a great way to tell who won during the split decision readout is if the first score is from judge Derek, that's always the loser

Derek's pretty consistent about weighting (complete) control more heavily. He's probably responsible for 10% of all wins for non-spinners.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Borsche69 posted:

idk, circling the opponent also seems like the definition of defensive. you aren't engaging, you're waiting for the perfect shot. you don't get points for aggression just because you're faster.

You can debate if Tantrum's driving was moderate or significant, but sitting in the middle of the battlebox is their canonical example of minimal aggression.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Narsham posted:

Hydra's design trades off speed and power in movement: that's a weakness in the design. If you were to redefine its initial "waiting to be attacked" stage as "aggression," then you have defined away the bot's weakness.

Weakness in design isn't the phrasing I'd use, but you're basically saying all the thoughts I have jumbled in my head with regards to design.

Like, Kenny and Chris are always saying "battles are won in the pits", but it's also true that points are awarded in the pits. In an extreme example, Deep Six should never win any aggression points, because their design doesn't care about it.

In Hydra's case, they knows that running an "un-get-under-able" bot means that they'll get snagged on the floor. Choosing to deal with that by basically not moving instead of adding more ground clearance means that they willingly sacrificed those points back in the pits.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

We should be talking more about how Witch Doctor actually ran forks for the final. Probably what led to their downfall.

And yes, that is me taking a picture of my monitor because I couldn't be bothered to get around Discover+'s anti screenshot technology.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ante posted:

Double jeopardy can now do three shots, and I thiiiiink they're going to be on Bounty Hunters

quote:

Double

quote:

three

:confused:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1541540919312121856?s=20

We've been had. There never was a Bounty Hunters season. It's some kind of champion of champions deal.

Coming August, so that's when you need to fire up your Discovery+ account.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm going to straight up watch this at work, since Thursday is dead in the office. I'll invite the engineers since they love this kind of poo poo.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

He consistently gets a post fight interview even when he loses. Why would he ever stop?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Railing Kill posted:

Agreed. I'm not saying it doesn't work for him. I'm saying it doesn't work for me.

Also: I don't think he can stop even if he wanted to because I think he's genuinely a sore loser/sore winner.

I don't get sore loser from him. But I will say that half of his little skits come off as very disjointed because he isn't great at improv and likely prepares the spiel ahead of time.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Ah, I thought that the episode was a little light on Bot Whisperer commentary. It's here instead.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I was just thinking about how the Discovery Warner thing is ruining a lot of things that I love, but if it ends up with Battlebots in Multiversus, that would be kinda cool.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I think if Lockjaw went all out apeshit, instead of a half-assed wait-and-see strategy, I think they could have done it. But Ribbot definitely deserved to make it to the end, and to win it all out.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Uppercut's bracket to lose, imo. And they might be the only one capable of actually knocking out RotatoR.

Though Mammoth, as always, is the underdog to root for.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Some scattered thoughts:

Uppercut was never 100% and Glitch deserved to move onto Rotator.

Though earlier, I would have given it to Retrograde I think, but again, neither bot was at 100% so I'm willing to accept this.

"We're not a control bot. We try to go for the knockout" THEN WHY DON'T YOU LEAD WITH THE WEAPON INSTEAD OF THE WEDGE! gently caress off.

HAHA. Get hosed Victor!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Uppercut exploding Free Shipping again rules

:yeah:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I think that Glitch mostly deserved each of their storied wins, but taken as a whole, it feels like they've kinda Bradburyed across the finish line.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

In my head, I'm already prototyping some kind of Tantrum-but-with-lifting-arm bot. Some kind of spinner that can be tucked away while building up speed, and the strategy is to pin, lift, and then attack the underbelly.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Faruq with the Pickle Rick joke.

Also: Faruq with the IMDB joke. Absolutely legendary.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Bring back weight brackets and allow interference with other bots imo

Weight brackets are good for the sport, but bad for the show.

Maybe kid me's attention span was lacking, but following the old Comedy Central series sucked when they kept switching from middleweight to heavyweight to featherweight.

I just wanted to see if Biohazard could get its revenge. Get that Wacky Compass out of my face (Wacky Compass was actually good and fun)

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

All the first round fights were very good and super engaging!

The middle was a little uneven.

Great finale though.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Chomp rules. Hopefully some day they'll be back with even more appendages and AI control.

The next version of Chomp is actually just the Battlebox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

:lol: at the folding chairs

Friendship with rake ended. Chair is my new best friend.