Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Alright folks. Discovery Channel has finally set a premier date for the latest season of Battlebots! This time filmed in Las Vegas in the summer. 1st episode is on January 6! It should also be available to stream on Discovery Plus, which last season episodes were actually up the same day the episode aired on Discovery Channel (And actually before it actually aired)!

Here is the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKEFwLJOGOI

And here is a list of the bots that will be competing for the Giant Nut!

https://battlebots.com/2021-season-robots/

Quite a few returning bots that missed last season. Minotaur, Duck, & Ice Wave appears to be actually competing this year.

Bots missing though include Bronco, which appears to be for sale... Also Chomp is not in the competition, I'm sure moving the competition to Las Vegas and having a kid probably made it hard for the team captain.

Also due to covid restrictions, pretty much all of the British teams were unable to compete this season.

And if you missed it from the trailer above... the arena has some "updates" I guess... with this shelf thingy.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Dec 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

If you want some really cool behind the scenes content. Team Scorpios has a really awesome YouTube channel and did a few videos getting setup at the event in Las Vegas. Not really any spoilers other than some minor looks at some of the bots you probably already know are competing. They weren't allowed to film anything once the fights started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfM-Kjj-q_E&t=881s

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Railing Kill posted:

:hmmyes:

Rusty's single (?) win was one of the most exciting things I saw. I mean, it sucked, but I just wanted to see the thing win somehow. How can you not root for that janky lil' guy?

Well speaking of Rusty, he's been upgraded a bit... And for some bounty hunter spoilers Rusty did also beat Kraken by a judge decision and almost gave Copperhead a heart attack in their fight...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Railing Kill posted:

I saw those too. BTW, what is the difference between Bounty Hunters and the main show? All of the matches I watched on YT were just the matches, divorced of context. Was it a play-in to fight against the reigning champ or something, just as an excuse to have more bot fights?

It looks like Rusty 2.0 is like a smaller Chomp? That hammer arm doesn't look like it has the power or reach to do much damage. I might end up missing the drill, as much of a hail Mary as it was. It was just so unique, and kind of thrilling if Rusty actually got a hold of a bot. This revision just seems to be a worse version of what already doesn't work well for most other bots who use it.

Bounty Hunters was an 8 bot mini tournament to fight the chosen champ for the bracket. Also I think most of the teams were pretty happy with the money Discovery Channel put into making that...

Also a smaller chomp might not really be that bad of a thing. Their weapon wasn't bad, it just sent more energy into Chomp than the bot they hit... :lol:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Lone Goat posted:

Duck is the problem because Duck doesn't have a weapon.

Duck does have a weapon now though. And it's the same weapon a few bots have. It's beak is a flipper. Not as powerful as some, but it is weaponized.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

Oh, shoot. I wish I didn't know that because doesn't that mean the participants definitely didn't make the quarters? Spoils the postseason.

Pretty much. You probably shouldn't have read that goon's post if you still haven't seen or are watching the 2020 season... :lol:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

rarbatrol posted:

I'm hoping to see Double Jeopardy do something, at least once.

They do have a YouTube channel it seems and YouTube just recommended me their upgrade video... most amazing takeaway is not only does the new version able to shoot 3 rounds during a match... the old version has been able to do 2 shots...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k37Ka4K3R8c

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Gazaar posted:

I'm here to watch blacksmith get its poo poo destroyed :)

It's cool, he'll still get in the final tournament somehow.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well if anyone wants a bit of a warmup. The year end finals for the Norwalk Havoc league is on the 18th. So you can see which 3lb egg beater holds up the best! Although is a marathon if you were to try to watch it all live. Their events usually easily end up 12+ hours long... and the same 2-3 guys announce the whole thing... :lol:

Which will stream for free on their YouTube channel here -> https://www.youtube.com/c/NorwalkHavoc

They did do a few recap videos that are almost like an actual TV show format for some of their fights over the summer which are pretty cool. Especially if you just want to watch some of the 12 & 30lb action!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well you can watch robot fighting pretty much all day today! 2021 NHRL finals are on today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vdh8qNF0ww

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Thursday is the season premier for those that forgot :).

Not sure if they will do it again this season, but last season the new episodes went up on Discovery Plus on the Thursday, well before the actual airing on TV.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Wow there's some seriously destructive fights there. Gigabyte vs Upper cut & Tombstone and Captain Shredderator? Those are going to be 1 or 2 hit explosion fights...

I am pretty curious about the shelf that they added to the arena and how much it will add or takeaway from the show (Can see it briefly in the trailer)

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 4, 2022

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bertha the Toaster posted:

What's the YouTube exclusive about then? If its meant to be an advert you think they'd use a good fight, but then why would they not broadcast a good fight in the actual episode?

Past seasons they've always had an extra fight that they aired on the Scyfy channel airing of the show. It's pretty much an extra fight, but I guess they want an extra commercial break for the Discovery channel airing...

But usually I'm pretty sure it's the fights that weren't that exciting... Although Deadlift vs Jackpot should actually be a decent match unless Deadlift is still having a lot of issues, but I thought they were getting that poo poo dialed in last season...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sadly there's more poo poo for them to bounce off this year so I think it might be bad for the full body spinners.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I haven't seen that much of the new arena accept for what's in the trailer in the OP. But keeping bots from getting stuck between the plexiglass and the rail was a pretty big priority for Battlebots. They were pretty afraid a bot would get stuck there while on fire and they'd have to replace the section before the next fight.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Oh well, Team Scorpios put out a sneak peak video today! Can see the weird shelf thing they have in the back. And also does look like they have something to keep bots from getting stuck on the edge out of the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohsrZObyZe8

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

Ohhhhh, is that why they got rid of the ringouts? That makes sense. I had heard vaguely that there was a safety reason for it but didn't find the specifics.

The Skorpios video above says that the "Shelf" is the new "out area," and they've taken more precautions to prevent bots from sticking between the plexiglass and area edge.

Also the Shelf makes these little contained boxes that should disadvantage vertical spinners this year because you can box your opponent in and make it very hard for them to escape and get distance to spin up their weapons.

I believe it's in 1 of the Team Witch Doctor / Hypershock weekly recap episodes where they had 1 of the Battlebots creators on for an interview where it was mentioned that having a bot on fire is why they didn't want those ringouts.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I believe it's in 1 of the Team Witch Doctor / Hypershock weekly recap episodes where they had 1 of the Battlebots creators on for an interview where it was mentioned that having a bot on fire is why they didn't want those ringouts.

Here is the interview with Greg where he talks about the safety on keeping bots from going out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntvPZBjhlNw&t=1046s

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Huge is going to laugh at the shelf.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's probably usually better to not post much or any spoilers until after the Discovery air time. But the 1st episode is already up on Discovery Plus!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

logikv9 posted:

episode 1 thoughts

captain shred v tombstone - as the thread's tombstone apologist i am deeply saddened by tombstone's horrific self-own. ray definitely said it best that there was too much that was new all at once in tombstone... a lot of what made it reliable was all that old stuff, but to fight against the Zoomer bots it had to try and upgrade where it could. i'm guessing he's going to replace a lot of the newer parts with their more reliable older counterparts, meaning that it'll just be normal tombstone for other fights. which will still be a sight to behold!!

Pretty sure Tombstone will be fine going forward. Captain Shred's design seemed to actually be pretty difficult for Tombstone to do anything. The angle of the body, every time Tombstone hit it, Tombstone just deflected off and likely took all the energy from the hits.

Borsche69 posted:

They need more segments where they inspect the damage after fights cause one of the guys I talked to after the Sawblaze/Minotaur fight thought Sawblaze only did some scratches Minotaur. It did basically the same insanely damaging cuts that knocked out Whiplash last season, but it never looks that impressive from the arena cam

Not sure if they are planning to do it again this year, but last season Team Witchdoctor ran a "Tale of the Tape aftershow" with Will Bales from Hypershock (on YouTube). They usually at least had 1 segment with a team breaking down some of the damage from a fight!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

There's not too many teams that come in with a fantastic bot in their first match. The 250lb builds these teams are doing are basically impossible to actually test weapons on until they are in the box... That fight was quite likely the 1st time they ever had the drum spinning and attempted to hit something with it or even move the arm with it spinning.

It's a pretty good design and will likely do some serious damage once they dial it in.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

logikv9 posted:

that could be said about most of the robots tombstone faces though, with everyone having an anti-tombstone angled wedge attachment sitting in their closets. tombstone is usually just more durable in being able to dish out the hits and the subsequent self-fling across the ring. the internals were sparking with the first one or two hits with their new upgrades.

I don't know, even the bots with a Tombstone wedge are usually planning to actually take a hit from him. Captain Shred... didn't react at all, the hits did basically nothing and likely took very little of the force from the impacts, so Tombstone took it all.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

i want Pain Train to be good, but good lord, they just spin that eggbeater up and then cannot turn for poo poo

Well fun fact, their captain at least, actually runs one of the most successful eggbeaters at the NHRL events, Shreddit Bro. So there is plenty of hope that they will be able to dial it in and figure it out, possibly not until next season since they actually know it's happening already and are not finding out like 2 months before the film date that it's happening.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Seems like it's around 4am EST when they are putting the new episodes up on Discovery Plus. Honestly it's a pretty sweet perk to get to watch the show before the Discovery channel airing... Also nice since I'm not a fool that buys cable TV.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I have no idea what Defender was supposed to do

It's definitely a control bot with a lifter arm. But they went up against a pro driving team in Ribbot and really had no chance to ever control anything.

Rusty is a pretty awkward sized bot and got some pretty serious airtime from Blip, might be a really fun flipper to watch this year...

Also was pretty surprised on Tantrum being an incredibly effective bot!

And the shelf does rule.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The shelf should be a Robot Wars death pit

Death pits are literally the worst hazard in all of robot combat.

The shelf has actually been useful and enjoyable these first 2 episodes.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Mammoth's upgrades this year with the sturdier flipping arm and extra drive chain might make it a pretty interesting bot going forward. It's never going to win the Giant Nut or anything, but it's certainly able to gently caress over and spoil some other bots from making it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Upper Deck gives flippers a little extra power against the bots that can't self right. Otherwise it doesn't do too much.

But although it was a way for the flippers to get a win, most of their game plan wasn't about getting the perfect flip and getting a bot outside the arena. It's to just gently caress up the bots with the flips and control the match.

A lot of bots are really not made for being flipped high up into the air... Especially if they land on their spinning weapon. A 250 pound bot getting a few feet into the air and falling... that's a lot of loving force getting sent through all the internal parts.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I think if Kraken was able to clamp down faster, he'd actually be a potential contender, for at least the final 4. Kraken is pretty capable of being a solid control bot and in seasons past has been able to penetrate bots, and from their prefight interview they seem to have increased the power of the bite for the season...

I think maybe they just need a 2 stage system for the clamp down, one to just clamp down quick, and the other to put the pressure on and bite in.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Cool what went wrong in 2020 Witchdoctor video! Also a slowmo of them testing breaking a disc and watching how Witch Doctor reacts to it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhaF5V3Xv04

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The only other weight class I've seen Smeeeee in is the 3 pounders at NHRL and it's pretty much just a control bot. No active weapons and it's just a bar with wheels on the sides. 1 of the NHRL events, his active weapon was a flaming penguin in the corner of the box...

That being said, I'm sure the Battlebots version will have some success, 2020 it was just a rookie bot with plenty of work to be done to make it competitive!

Also might be interesting to see how it runs with the shelf & the 2 smaller areas of the arena.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Yeah, if he gets put into those corners he's stuffed, it'd take forever to get out of. I found out yesterday that the bot builders only found out about the shelf a week or two before filming so no one really had time to think about it or prepare for it.

Maybe. But on the flip side, Smeeee is pretty close to the length of the width of those corners and probably could completely control / corral an opponent. If his little spinner things are effective it could be pretty interesting.

Although really, the bots biggest flaw is it's basically a multibot that is chained together... Might be interesting if he with a solid metal bar wedge like his lighterweight Smeeees are.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The killsaws are the most effective hazards because they gently caress up the little wedgelets they have. Which from the interview with the Battlebots creator that Tale of the Tape last year, pretty much is the meta in the Brazilian Robotics...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Looten Plunder posted:

I've just discovered there are 9 seasons of Battlebots on Netflix. I assume these are when it was ABC? My kids are gonna have a poo poo fit when they find out. Any recommendations? Should I just start with the most recent season and work my way backwards? (I'm assuming the show gets better as it goes along due to rule tweaks)tech advancements)

Edit: nevermind, there are 2 seasons and it says it started in 2016 so I assume it's current iteration and it's only season 1 and 2. Guess I'll start at the beginning.

2 seasons and airing in 2016 would likely be the 2 ABC seasons. Doesn't appear that the show is on US Netflix though cause I don't have it? :(

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's really odd seeing Reese from Fusion being a nice & well adjusted builder compared with Jake playing up the villain role...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's because Witch Doctor is a better bot with a better driver. HTH.

Although I don't really believe that Duck lost all it's power for a basic lifting arm that it has... Likely just some sort of issue because it's a new build and 1st time Al has been in the Battlebox for 2 years...

Witch Doctor is a top tier bot if the weapon discs don't break.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

"Sorry Tombstone, you had a tough opening fight, here's a play toy for you"

Also interesting so many bots already featured this season and so many yet to get their first fight in.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Are we already at the point where bits are on their second fight?

Doesn't feel like it

It's kind of the norm for Battlebots. They only have so many episodes and fights. Quite a few of the bottom tier bots are only going to get like 1 televised fight where the regulars and fan favorites will get all 3 of their matches. The other fights will be "basement matches" they throw up on YouTube at some point later.

Which really, a lot of the newcomer bots likely will have had really rough 1st or even 2nd fights and not be something worth putting in a fight card...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Tonight's episode spoiler... not a match result just commentary on the commentary...

considering this was filmed before Squid Game was released... they either got a sneak peak or Chris just coincidentally made a Squid Game reference with the South Korean bot...