Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Duck rules. It's good to have a couple bricks around to keep the glass cannon spinners in check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Fight card baby!

Free Shipping and Blacksmith is going to be a slugfest of two durable bots.

Uppercut and Megabyte is going to be a quick KO for one of them.

Hydra are the heels, but I would be elated if they dumpster End Game on the first episode.

Hopefully Gruff fixed their drive train issues from last season. I want to see that thing just body a bunch of spinners again.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 4, 2022

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

At least back in the old CC days, Battlebots basically got exclusive rights to the bot names and likenesses for the sake of merch and toys and stuff, so often well known bots would show up to indie competitions with slightly different paint jobs and changed names, even though they were effectively the same bot. Shrederator used to be Phrizbee, Duck used to be Whoops, Gigabyte used to be Megabite, Minotaur used to be Touro.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 5, 2022

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Finally got caught up on the first two episodes.

Whiplash is amazing. I was worried about it going in, but it dominated Blood Sport from bell to bell. No one can drive like Matty and there was not one second of that fight that he wasn't in total control.

Watching Mad Catter annihilate Yeti was also a lot of fun. Everyone always underestimates Catter until it destroys something.

Free Shipping should have won his match.

Kraken is so great. He's a wonderful underdog who's never going to win it all, but he never has a boring match.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Looten Plunder posted:

Knowing nothing about this show and whether they are actually good bots, or just had a good match, I definitely think the two bots that are sharing team members would be pretty short odds to go deep. Think it was Blip and Tantrum(?)

(Really wish OP had profiles for all the teams, that official website is complete rear end)

Tantrum was a top 4 bot last year. It's almost indestructible and very fast. The guy who used to drive Tantrum is now driving Blip and he's really good. So yeah, there's both very strong contenders.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Great Beer posted:

Mad Catter was (maybe still is?) built that way. Let's see how that's worked out for them:

https://youtu.be/3ttuUiX4Nn0

Oh.

Don't forget Warhawk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHW1v9NSx4c

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

RIP Mammoth.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Hell yeah, real life Beyblade battle!

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

End Game is so ugly and boring. I'm praying they don't win again.

Pretty bad episode overall. A lot of boring fights where a bunch of bots just weren't working properly. Free Shipping vs. Uppercut was the only decent fight.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 5, 2022

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I think they should give a weight bonus to anything that isn't a spinner, something to change the meta that's honestly getting a little stale at this point.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

The Lightweight class (60 lb) was the most fun class in the Comedy Central days, I'd love to get some of those again. It's cheaper to build those too, so we may see more variation in design and different teams.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Tombstone and Free Shipping have had fought each other countless times at Robogames the past, that could secretly be a good fight.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

oh jay posted:

Captain Shredderator as a YouTube exclusive. Should be "fun".

$5 says it breaks down after like 2 hits.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Not sure, been a few years since they gave them that option... Although Lockjaw is a team that will get in the tournament at 1-2, and I think there is some chance they survive against a flipper bot...

Perhaps the most odd thing on the season, is there are at least 2 bots on the 2021 page that entered the even just for Bounty Hunters season 2, but thus far there has been no word on it being a thing... (Perfect Phoenix, mom wouldn't let the kid miss school for Battlebots... & Big Dill for reasons unknown)

Also Double Jeopardy apparently showed up just for BH.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

That was a really good main event. I'd rather have 3 minute crazy brawls over "oops, vertical spinner just tossed something out of the arena in 10 seconds."

This season is weird because there are a lot of bots that aren't going to be in the tournament even though they're better than some that are. Lockjaw, Kraken, Gruff, Scorpios, Tombstone, Hydra all have losing records while stuff like Riptide or Glitch limped in with 2 wins. Really weird early season.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Queering Wheel posted:

Having your bot ready to fight and having it work reliably is part of the game though. A perfectly-working Hydra might be a better bot than Glitch, but this season, it wasn't working perfectly. Glitch is a better bot than Hydra this season and deserves its place.

Glitch vs. Ghost Raptor was one of the worst fights so far though. Other than a decent weapon, there is nothing good about Glitch, it's slow, can barely move, gets stuck on the arena. It's 2 wins have seemed more luck than skill. Lockjaw has gone the full 3 minutes in 2 of its matches, so most of the bot isn't suffering reliability, it just had tough draws. And now Defender is 2-1 as well, is Defender really a better bot than Lockjaw? Is it better than Free Shipping, another bot that had a brutal set of fights and isn't unreliable? Skorpios is reliable and just had the best match of the season, but they're 1-2.

Apparently this week has Witch Doctor vs. Rusty, which is basically a free win for them, so congrats I guess? Is that more impressive than any of the above bots?

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 6, 2022

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Uppercut vs. Huge is gonna rule.

Legitimately shocked Shrederator got in.

Are we doing a bracket prediction contest like last year?

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 11, 2022

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

It's really weird how many bots only had 2 matches in the prelims. Whiplash, Hypershock, Uppercut, Smee, Rampage, Ghost Raptor, Slammo, Shatter, probably others. That's like an entire extra episode.

edit: Here's my prediction brackets. Let's see your's.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 11, 2022

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

The Ribbot quadrant is weird because Hydra and Tombstone are so unreliable this year. If either of them can get their poo poo together, they could plow through it.

Skorpios is really good against horizontal spinners, but not so much against verticals. Though if it can beat End Game, I'll throw a scorpion themed party.

My hope is that if Copperhead and End Game go weapon to weapon, Copperhead comes out on top just due to how much bigger their drum is, like how it did with Lockjaw. Then against I predicted Copperhead going far last year and they petered out to Mammoth in the first round, so who knows.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Copperhead and Lucky looked like a fun match, weird that we got to see Scorpios vs. Malice instead of that. Or the build to Witch Dr and Mammoth that felt like it went on for 10 minutes.

I feel like Shatter has beasically not existed this season with only 2 fights aired and it didn't look that great. Other than that I predicted every single fight correctly, so that's fun. Sawblaze and Hijinx was complete domination, loved seeing Hijinx's gearbox twitching around on the floor.

Also LOL I've been saying Glitch sucks and just got lucky all season and welp. See ya.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 17, 2022

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

You can't spend over half the match flailing on your back uncontrollably and win just because you got one decent hit before burning out your weapon

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I could not believe how much time was wasted on the build up to Witch Doctor and Mammoth. They went on and on through like 2 commercials breaks like, "Will Witch Doctor be ready? Mammoth is so different!" and the Mammoth guy just making poo poo up.

Like yeah, we get it, Glitch sucks so here's Mammoth and Witch Doctor is going to destroy it in 30 seconds. That's why skipping two fights is even more baffling.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Couple thoughts

Jackpot got real lucky. One of their battery packs was dangling on the floor. Hoping Blip just owns them the way they owned Valkyrie.

Black Dragon and Mad Catter could have gone either way. I would have given it to MC due to damage, but whatever.

I'd much rather watch Martin Mason cut wrestling promos than the guy from Glitch blankly staring into the camera and shrugging while unable to form sentences. At least he knows he's on TV.

Ribbot and End Game are the only two robots I didn't want winning, so getting one of them out so early is great! They probably shouldn't have been counted out, but I also don't care since Hydra is about 100 times more fun to watch.

That giant horse bot parts statue is loving cool, what a great idea.

Tantrum took more of a beating that I thought they would. Gigabyte really got a bad draw, they could have taken out half of the other bots in the top 32. Hopefully Tantrum can rebuild decently, I think they can pretty easily beat Rotator.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 25, 2022

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Imagine not liking endgame, shameful.

It's a boring bite force clone and it has the ugliest paint job of any bot in the competition. Neon Green and Orange, great color combo, a big sticker that just says "end game" in times new roman. gently caress End Game.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

PupsOfWar posted:

I like having 1 bot in the competition that's just a pure tank

Since Duck is bad now, Rotator is the brickest brick available

Tantrum, Blip, and Whiplash are pretty good bricks as well.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Eh, I've always assumed that their flag motif happened after they realised the bot they'd built was shaped like Captain America's shield and was always more of a gimmick than a stance

It was originally called Phrizbee in the original Battlebots, but then they took the same bot over to England for Robot Wars. Since that season they had a big "Britain vs. the World" gimmick tournament, they decided to go all out on the American imagery and call it The Revolutionist. And I guess they just kept the America motif ever since and gave it an even wackier name for the reboot in 2015.

If you think the American theme is over the top now, look at the outfits the team used to wear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYgfiTMb-rU

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 28, 2022

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Yeah, there's going to be six Bounty Hunters episodes again.

Also MINOTAUR LET'S loving GO! My entire household was on their feet for that match, one of the all time great BB fights.

I also audibly cheered when Tantrum threw Rotator out with like 10 seconds to go.

Whiplash got screwed.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Minotaur still took a beating in that fight

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Hydra is really slow this season, they've had a ton of drive train problems and alot of getting caught on the arena floor. Blip being so fast and maneuverable may give them an edge. I doubt they're just going to wildly charge into Hydra over and over again like Black Dragon did.

That said, I'm fine with anyone who's left winning except Riptide.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I wonder if Aren Hill pulls something in the semis from a bot eliminated in the quarters.

Teams sharing parts isn't unheard of. Jake even admitted to taking parts from Fusion to stick in Hydra after the prelims.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with Riptide. From earlier threads, a lot of builders are kind of sour on that team for multiple reasons. One of them being that they copied another bot precisely down to the exact screw placement. Another one of them being that they prematurely started against Huge and got a free hit in before the match was restarted. Maybe they pull that again with Sawblaze.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Tantrum should not have beaten Hydra, but I'm fine with them winning the whole thing. Their victories over Witch Doctor and Cobalt were so impressive and driven flawlessly that they earned it. I'm just happy that something other than another vertical spinner won. Tantrum has come a long way from being Tombstone fodder like 3 seasons ago.

The shelf is loving stupid and contributed to a lot of the dumb stuff this season. Blip was basically high centered on the lip of it, multiple robots got stuck under it, it makes horizontal spinners worse since there's not as much room to move around. I'm hoping they release that it didn't work out and get rid of it next year.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Tantrum's spinner isn't meant to do big damage like other vertical spinners, it's more like Sawblaze's weapon where it delivers a lighter weapon in a small burst when it's in control of the other bot. It gets under the other bot and then punches it around/flips it over/knocks it out of the arena. It's a control bot first and the puncher is just a way to use that control.

It's still more effective than Scorpios or Whiplash's spinners.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

There used to be a 250 lb melty brain full body spinner called Cyclonebot. It was ok, but it was also 15 years ago so I'm sure the technology has gotten better since then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U09OITu5wHc

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

The difference now between the old days is that acceptance to the show is curated. Battlebots picks their favorite 60-70 bots and many get rejected. In the olds days anyone could show up with a brick. I feel like they could allow a couple bricks in without ruining the whole thing.