Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah just an excuse to have more fights, which Discovery used as an incentive to get Discovery+ because they were exclusive to that initially (they did wind up airing them on Discovery Channel after the season). I think they shot them after the season ended with whoever still had working bots. 8 bot tournament, and the winner would fight a well-established bot like Tombstone or Witch Doctor for a $25,000 prize.

Practically speaking, bounty hunters was a way to fill time between the quarter/semi/final matches when only a few bots were left and teams needed time for repairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I loved hammer and axe bots back in the day but they make so little sense these days, they're just difficult to control and get a good hit with, especially when you compare them to a big drum spinner that you just need to point in the general direction of the thing you want dead.

I really liked shatter for this. The mechanum wheels let it keep the hammer towards the opponent at all times, and the hammer brought down so much power.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
The witch doctor show made it clear how many details go into a successful bot. For example, teams have to tear down their motors and pack the magnets with epoxy to make them impact resistant. Lots of details that are only found when something breaks.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
You can tell the ref you're done and stop moving, but your opponent still has 10 seconds to beat on you until the count finishes.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Glitch was 100% the lesson in weaknesses of omni wheels. Shatter can get away with it because it doesn't need to push up against other bots just keep its distance.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Bonus fight is up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN4Z4MgC8JE

this is the most surgical win I've seen. they called their shot and did exactly that.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I don't remember a bot coming apart like Ghost Raptor since the first season when Tombstone destroyed Counter Revolution.

Besides son of whyachi, jackpot also nearly ripped ghost raptor in half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY3q-ZipPlw

I thought it had been torn apart before but I seem to be misremembering.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Cobalt having its spinner on top instead of the front has been a liability against bots with a good ground game. But against ghost raptor it gave them the hammer saw effect of being able to spin it up and then apply full energy at impact.

Bots with a front facing spinner wouldn't be able to do that.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Captain shrederator goes three minutes without self destructing and smashes endgame while ping ponging off the glass.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
I would like something vicious in the arena. Like a hazard that can maul a bot or send it flying, not just give it a love tap. Put in an uppercut-level spinner somewhere to run your opponent into.

Not an instant win, but a chance for control bots to get real damage.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5yjoIrQaCg

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

The Glumslinger posted:

I think just letting the killsaws be active all fight would be an improvement, its really dumb that they only popup in the last minute

That would really mess with box rushes or fast bots, even if they aren't low ground clearance.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
A functional switchback will be one of the few bots that can meet huge at its altitude. So I'm excited for that.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

rarbatrol posted:

I've always felt that teams could build in a lot of extra smarts in their control logic to compensate for things like gyroscopic force, being inverted, losing a portion of their drive motors, etc. I guess they'd have to have a working robot for long enough to do extensive testing, though.

It's actually impossible to test many bots outside the box. Anything with a high-powered spinner is unsafe to fully activate unless you have a battlebox to contain it. So testing control vs. gyro effects would struggle.

AFAIK, most drive logic is just about getting the right amount of power to the motors to spin them without burning them out. That's hard enough with the amount of power flowing through them. I have heard about fancier control logic in Meltybrains, though those are not battlebots legal. I wish we could get a 250 lb meltybrain in the battlebox...

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Gromit posted:

I'd love to get b-roll that shows the battle damage and talks with the builders about it. It's hard to appreciate how hard some of those hits are until you see a twisted chassis and big bites taken out of that AR500 up close.

There are a few YouTube series that do that sort of thing.

Skorpios:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Le00Pj6zE

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Ribbot definitely looked like they were starting to move in a straight line at the bell. I would've given them more time.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Wedges and bricks were always the most boring part of battlebots. I'm not going to begrudge them the requirement that a robot be capable of doing active damage. Although I wish they would adjust it enough to allow for meltybrain thwackbots.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

PostNouveau posted:

Projectile weapons are allowed. They just aren't very effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3L_UxLsPt0

I think there are rules that prevent making an effective one because you'd damage the box if you just strapped an AK-47 to a roomba.

Guns are surprisingly ineffective against battlebot armor. I can't find the video now, but some folks on Youtube shot battlebot armor plates with a variety of guns and they barely dented it. You'd need a .50 BMG or more to do real damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
NHRL has gone the opposite direction; you don't even need a drive system if your weapon vibrates enough.