Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

logikv9 posted:

i saw hydra smoking a bit early in that match but then i remembered the factoid about having an oil filter now so for some stupid reason i thought it was simply exhaust :shepicide:

that could be said about most of the robots tombstone faces though, with everyone having an anti-tombstone angled wedge attachment sitting in their closets. tombstone is usually just more durable in being able to dish out the hits and the subsequent self-fling across the ring. the internals were sparking with the first one or two hits with their new upgrades.

that said i don't remember if they were using their spinning bar with the bolted-on teeth at the end. to be honest i think the teeth addon is a horrible idea, it can't be stronger than a unibody bar and the moment it breaks off the bar is unbalanced.

Yo, sorry to bring this up from a week ago, but let's talk about metallurgy

Steel can be hard, or it can be tough, depending on alloy and heat treatment.

Hardness is like a diamond - real strong, but you can smash it up with a hammer. It's very brittle.
Toughness is more like what you might see if a car hits a lamppost. The lamppost will bend, but it'll stay in one piece. If you hit it only a little bit, it might deform slightly (like, the top of it might be visibly wobbling) and then spring back.

What do you want Tombstone's solid bar to be like?
Well, if you anneal it to be really tough, then it'll spin around and will never truly break, but it'll be like silly putty. It'll hit another (hardened) bot, and the bar itself will be all gummy and have chunks of it mash to the side and not really do any damage.
If you temper it to be really hard, that's even worse - The whole thing will shatter. This actually happened a few seasons ago, Tombstone's bar split in half.

To be the best of both worlds, you want both - An annealed soft bar in the middle, with a hardened business end to gently caress up bot armour.

There are two ways to achieve this:

You can build a single bar, and harden only the end using some fancy heat treatment process. On something that large and heavy, this is incredibly difficult and expensive. If a bar tip gets slightly hosed up, you also can't really recondition it. You have to toss it and put a new one on. It is also hard to check to see if you've done it right.

The other method is to use a soft bar and put hardened inserts on the end. This is what they've done this season, and there are a lot of benefits. The bar is cheap and easy to make, the tips are cheap and easy to make, and there isn't a lot that can go wrong on the build side. It's easy to check that each part is hard/soft as appropriate, and if the tip gets damaged, you just bolt a new one on.

This is a similar strategy that professional machinists have been using forever for lathes or mills - They have cheap toolholder and bolt on tiny little disposable carbide inserts on the cutting side.

Obviously the issue here is that they didn't bolt the inserts on well enough. So it's a design problem, but not the one you think it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Great Beer posted:

Tombstones been bolting teeth on to the bar for as long as it's existed. Before laser cutting got so cheap it was pretty common and it's generally worked out. Except for that one time with Nightmare.

Yeah, checking, it looks like they have both varieties. They lost their bar in S4 vs. Bite Force, and it was the solid tool steel bar. Makes sense. They've also chipped a tooth a few times.

In short, mechanical engineering is a land of contrasts

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The guy that built it had a kid and isn't involved - He sent Cobalt to the Gigabyte team to run this year

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Thirty second game of pinball before shrederator shrederates itself

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

PostNouveau posted:

Ohhhhhh

I saw on the FB group that despite appearance, the Triple Crown builder is a former Robot Wars champion. Triple Crown was apparently built on relatively short notice as well.

Going through his videos, he's talking about getting his circuit boards manufactured, and saying that the manufacturer delayed his order, due to some sort of outbreak of disease in the area, and they're focused on ramping up production for some medical stuff in the area...

...This thing was built on short notice for March 2020

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Ratios and Tendency posted:

One of it's wheel-things got mangled; it was a perfect height for Valkerie to undercut and get straight into them.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Allow guns and explosives and fight in a forest.

I'm into it

Some way to make walkers actually viable would be really fun. And I mean walkers, not shufflebots

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You'll see a lot of smaller weight divisions that there are 5-6 common kits floating around. Someone pays $600 and assembles it and slaps a unique paintjob on it and competes. I get it if you're just there to see how the competition works for the first time, but a few of them have been running for several years, which seems extremely lame to me.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Rumbles in lower weight classes are pretty common, and imo, kinda poo poo

There's too much going on and no actual coordination

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
There was that vertical spinner a couple episodes ago that popped himself onto it

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Skorpios is good at driving, Sawblaze is good at punching holes in armour.

Probably one of the best at targeted armour holes, actually.

I also like the Skorpios team although I was surprised and horrified that the captain/driver Zack guy is younger than me (he's like, 32)

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
A problem with many bots with huge spinners is that they take a long time to spin up. A well driven and really aggressive bot can stay on them and keep them from ever really getting up to speed.

A cool design feature of Switchback, if it actually worked (it doesn't) is that they can keep the spinner away from the action until it's at speed, then drop it back into the fray.

I feel like that must have been the intention of Tantrum, but they don't seem to talk about it, and it's so small and buried deep that it seems ineffective.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
He's got a good series on building the various incarnations of Overhaul here and other places around his site:

https://www.etotheipiplusone.net/?cat=123

He's posted some frustration at how boring horizontal and vertical spinners are, and I believe him that he has no desire to join all the other teams in converging on almost exactly the same design.

I guess that's part of what Battlebots is trying to do with mixing things up with the upperdeck, but it really is a challenging problem, trying to encourage more innovation.

Like, Smee and Huge, and probably Hydra don't really have a chance of ever winning. The latter two are hyped up a lot in commentary, but their reputation hasn't really been particularly lived up to

ante fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 27, 2022

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The driver of Big Dill can only use one stick on his controller at a time for some reason

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I'm excited to see how they do, they're the most interesting new concept to be developed in a while.

They talked about why they wheelie in one of their YouTube videos. Basically they have a huge flywheel internally, oriented kinda like where a steering wheel would be. The gyroscopic forces don't like moving in that direction when Blip moves forward, so the resistance causes it to pop a wheelie.

I don't know what it looks inside, but a future redesign could orient the flywheel like a horizontal spinner. That would allow free movement in any of the directions you want free movement in - forward, back, and side to side - but would prevent changes in really good ways, too. It would be nearly impossible to flip, and world always remain planted on the floor. It could be incredible, if they could make it fit.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah, I saw that, but they go through it very quickly.

They'd definitely have to build it from the ground up with a horizontal flywheel as a design goal from the beginning, I'm not suggesting it would be easy. Or even possible.

Very powerful though

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Didn't dude upthread say that they would be released in their entirety on youtube tomorrow?

Sounds like a marketing ploy to drive youtube traffic to the main show.

Why choose mammoth though? Get Blade or Lock-Jaw in there or something, they might actually have a shot

ante fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 20, 2022

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Rotator sucks imo

Tantrum is also kinda boring but I like their team

Neither of them hit hard

Also agreeing that End Game is a boring cookie cutter bot, but their driving is pretty incredible - All of their fights this season, as soon as their opponents get offbalance, they've managed to end it. Absolutely no mistakes.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
And then whine about the judges' decision

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I don't like the rah rah American patriotism, I think it's weird and cringy

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I'm not an American fyi so that whole cultural phenomenon is foreign to me

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
P1 just announced a hiatus to develop a new bot

Tankbots all throwing in the towel

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

PostNouveau posted:

The actual minotaur?

yeah, that bull-headed motherfucker

none of that labyrinth mythology crap

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Someone sneaks a second bot into the same fight

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Would it cause a lot of controversy if they threw the match in Blip vs Tantrum?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Okay, calling it now. There's a hosed up judge's decision relating to Cobalt.

The last one was hosed up, but can you even imagine if that was the finals match

Edit: actually I'm going to go one further.

Exhibit A: someone said that the Cobalt match is important for future context

Exhibit B: Aren has never hinted at any drama, and as far as I've seen, no one has directed any at him. So I don't think he has anything to do with it

Exhibit C: Hydra has been posting judge scorecards and complaining all season

Conclusion: there's a questionable decision in favour of Cobalt vs Hydra.

As much as I like Blip, sounds like both those bots are out

ante fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 4, 2022

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Has anyone commented that a great way to tell who won during the split decision readout is if the first score is from judge Derek, that's always the loser

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Blip is being taken for a ride in the shots that have been released. One big flip at ten seconds in, and a huge one at 35 seconds :smith:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

TomR posted:

Also the dumb shelf wasn't bolted down so bots kept bumping into it, popping it up in the air, and then the drat thing lands on them clamping the bot in place.

Whiplash was robbed! :v:

That was also my takeaway

namaste

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

PostNouveau posted:

Hydra should be winning on frequency factor

That's not what "aggression" means tho

Who is more aggressive, the matador, or the bull?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I think they do? You can see them with earpieces and talking under their masks sometimes. I'm putting it down to the chaos of Mike and the Bazillion Brazillions yelling at their respective refs

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I think I mentioned this right at the beginning, but Tantrum's design in theory is super cool: They can hide the blade until it spins up and then reveal it only when it's at max efficacy. Other spinner often get blocked from spinning up during pins.

In practice, it just never works very well though. They just have the shittiest spinner of the entire competition.

Would definitely have preferred Blip winning, a flipper getting nutted would have been a huge upset.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Tip speed is capped at 250mph, which is a super strange way to do it, because that doesn't specify the actual energies. I hear it's an insurance requirement for the poly carb arena walls.

There was that insane chain bot a couple years ago (hella?) that got DQed last minute for being too insane, but the exact reasons seemed nebulous and arbitrary

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Double jeopardy can now do three shots, and I thiiiiink they're going to be on Bounty Hunters

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
They are doing Battlebots Bounty Hunters, right? I'm pretty sure they filmed it...

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Gonna enter a real live Hercules Beetle with a spinner on it to get me that sweet sweet walker weight bonus

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Double jeopardy is the one that shoots huge steel ball bearings. That will be fun, hopefully they get a couple shots off

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Ribbot or Malice are It

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Gonna be so choked if Glitch crab walks its way to a championship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also it's hard for them for the Slugfest tournament, all 4 of the fights were all filmed in 1 day,

I don't think that's actually true - That seems like a television production white lie to make things seamless for the viewer. All the builder blogs talk about having two fights in two days being really difficult, when that happens.