Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

A lot of teams had local resources (shops, vendors) in CA that they'd share with other groups. I wonder how that'll impact bot reliability this season? There were always a lot of stories about "we went down to Other Teams' workshop and made a new weapon after it broke" earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

There's probably room for one Duck. Due to the format, they can make that choice as far as the contestants go. Maybe it's unfair to "Duck clones" but likely better for the community and television.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

NightGyr posted:

I really liked shatter for this. The mechanum wheels let it keep the hammer towards the opponent at all times, and the hammer brought down so much power.

Shatter is just cool as hell, too.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The first time I read that post I mentally swapped in "Deep Six" for what it actually said, didn't even realize until the quote

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Those finals had some really great fights and builds. And good production quality for what's sort of a niche live event. The smaller robots by the big names were a good mix ranging from serious small-scale test chassis to silly concepts but it was cool to see familiar names that can't always compete well on the show like Pain Train having a lot of successful matches.

The different rules and weighting mean you also get some effective multibots at NHRL. Several teams have that dialed in pretty well.

Amazon has a promo for $1/month for two months for Discovery+ right now although that has ads, might be a decent way to catch the next season of the main show.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's probably usually better to not post much or any spoilers until after the Discovery air time. But the 1st episode is already up on Discovery Plus!

Welp time to go watch that, thanks for the tip

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Isn't Shrederator the ideal surface with which to attack Tombstone while escaping unscathed? Angled round surface with very little to bite into, prone to siding and popping into the air. You're deflecting or recoiling from the hit as much as possible, maybe lifting Tombstone in the process, with very little time in contact instead of planting your feet and having that bar crunch through your frame.

I think one of the boxier and/or magnetic-shod bots would be the worst idea for facing Tombstone for the opposite reasons.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I dunno the current rules but often tournaments have a mass% bonus for multibots and a mass% knockout threshold for same. So hypothetically you can bring four tiny bots that are effectively cosmetic and one bot that does something and be fine even if tiny ones fail at the starting line.

NHRL had a ton of very effective multibot teams because of a fairly generous weight bonus. A couple finals matches were multibot vs multibot.

If you slept on watching the NHRL finals live, it's basically twelve hours straight of cool fights and you should go check it out, they have three weight classes and have a lot of the big names from BattleBots competing (including experimental versions of their big systems).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

It's not very evident until a fight like tonight, but Whiplash is actually a solid control bot with a token spinner on its manipulator. It's different than something like Hypershock or Witch Doctor even if there are some cosmetic similarities.

Defender is a different kind of control bot, with a less-experienced driver. Probably a mistake to discount it considering the team/family it comes from. Also, unlikely to be entirely scrapped as a concept even if it doesn't perform this season.

The shelf really needs a big spinner on it to wreck your poo poo if you get tossed up there.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

There's a lot of collaboration and teams that have put in secondary bots without impacting the main one

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I want more gimmicks where nastier stuff shows up if all weapons are disabled or in the final minute

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

So many fires this season, it's everything I wanted.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Duck had forks that seemed to work against it

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Fish Of Doom posted:

RIP Mammoth.

Should be good to see Sawblaze vs MadCatter after the NHRL results. They're different bots in this category of course but Sawblaze is probably eager for a win.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

There's a lot of lucky failures that'll swing a fight due to the massive stresses involved in the 250lb fights, too. And a "good" loss can be valuable since getting into the tournament at the end isn't strictly based on the raw win:loss rating.

Showing you can stick it out for three minutes is thus better.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Hyped for Glitch because I'm a sucker for omni wheels

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Madurai posted:

Sawblaze is important as the only sawbot that was ever worth a drat, much like Beta is important as the only non-lovely hammer.

Scorpios and Shatter are pretty effective, though

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Gruff is one of the bots that really looks heavy but I know it's the same weight class as everything else

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Sammus posted:

If they’d actually gone after P1’s wheels while it was high centered they might’ve had a chance. Instead they waited too long and when they did go for a hit, they smashed the poo poo outta their own bot instead.

Completely rookie team probably has a lot to figure out, the concept shouldn't be abandoned. Weight bonus should happen.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

It's not the biggest if to say that Hypershock is a top tier design with a top tier driver and a top tier bot if they have solved reliability.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Pain Train did do a lot better than prior fights, really good progress from that team. And it's great to see them get recognition for their smaller weight class achievements.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Riptide had a lot of behind-the-scenes videos on YouTube to do self promotion and try to qualify for the show

But nothing like that jump

E: That was the main event I wanted!

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 11, 2022

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

ante posted:

Rumbles in lower weight classes are pretty common, and imo, kinda poo poo

There's too much going on and no actual coordination

I think that's partly due to arena size versus speed.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

That copperhead fight should be really good, main event aside.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Real good fights and it's hilarious to know the slots got changed up which ultimately screwed with the forks arms race.

I get the idea that it was a close match for the final fight, but I don't think it was split-decision close. Sometimes they show the scorecards, would be good to see them this time.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Holy poo poo Glitch

Suck it Hydra

As a fan of the crazy wheels and their weird B2 aesthetic, this is exactly my take. What excellent execution. They earned all those hits and got their timing right.

Actually toward the end, I thought the driver was going to run into the edge, but they managed to get things to a stop again before impact. Considering they're so new that's pretty good, a lot of other bots would've just slid into that.

E: All these fights were great so far but it was great to see Ribbit and P1 dressed up as each other and the match was pretty exciting yet methodical with some good back and forth.

Gotta say I'm a big fan of the upper deck.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 25, 2022

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Riptide and Glitch are both good, though. Hard to not cheer for rookie bots having legitimately great success, especially in the context of the reliability issues in older seasons.

Blip is likewise awesome although that's an experienced team. The weapon is a shockingly effective design and the bot itself feels real durable.

If this kind of stuff can spur on new designs or revisions from the veterans and encourage more rookies and weird designs then it's not bad at all.

Don't get me wrong though, Lockjaw and its predecessors were always my favorites. And Gruff is a beast.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The best part at the end was Minotaur trying to help and instead just buzzing off one of the stabilizers instead

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

If it had been able to actually get its lifts off, consistently, they would solve those key issues. Whiplash is consistently effective as a control bot. If you had that caliber of driving and reliability it would be another story.

But that is also taking us back to the "Glitch deserves it" discussion where reliability and good driving and timing are so important. Also mechanum wheels are awesome.

Anyhow that's why they always emphasize selection committee every single show. It's not strictly the numbers that get you into the tournament.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Bertha the Toaster posted:

It would mess with how the flipper works though, no idea if it would work if the flywheel was rotated 90 degrees.

That's a problem that "shouldn't" be hard to overcome.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

PITT posted:

That lucky and copperhead fight was more entertaining than every fight in the last episode, why is it a youtube fight?!? :psyduck:

They're both good, honestly. Uppercut was in danger with its anti-flip bar taken off so there was some good tension, it's surprising to see them both just get too jammed-up to continue.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

TomR posted:

I think if you have to move your bot out of the way because the other bot is coming towards your bot then that bot is showing movement and shouldn't be counted out yet.

Completely agreed and this is a good, easily-tested metric. You don't need to evade an immobilized opponent. Man, just compare and contrast that fight with the Blip vs Valk one.

Not sure how easily teams can communicate with the judges but if you had to voluntarily stay put in order for the other bot to be counted out (much like you voluntarily must stop touching them usually) it could probably work.

But yeah: If you have to keep moving several feet in different directions because they're coming for you, they're still a threat! Finish the job.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

El Fideo posted:

The Icewave vs Whiplash match was also uploaded at the same time.

https://youtu.be/zcsmn96O5F4

Posted for convenience

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Their channel continues to have really good battle damage and engineering alike. Anybody asking for this in the main show should check into the Skorpios channel.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

TheJadedOne posted:

For as much as that talk about how amazing drivers both mattie vasquez and jameson go are, daniel frietas should be talked about in that list more. That fight and the control he had over his bot was top notch.

Minotaur's driver just channels his spirit into the robot instead of controlling it like an RC car so it's not quite the same.

What a crazy amazing episode, though. And such a shame about Whiplash.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

oh jay posted:

Minotaur is actually named after their other bot Touro Maximus. What that bot is named after is an exercise left to the reader.

Not to be confused with Toro or Maximus, of course.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I'm okay with the ringouts that have happened so far, and do like them from a certain perspective -- but that's precisely why the upper deck has grown on me over the course of the season. It's a more specific and intentional target for such things and it's been used well (even though it's brand new and a bit of a surprise) plus it checks the safety box.

It feels more controlled in practice and there's potential for more drama watching a robot attempt to recover while the other one lurks like a shark. Unfortunately, that the red edge is a sticking hazard inconsistently in way that does not happen with the yellow edge (like with Whiplash).

Wait does this mean Hydra eats a DQ if he tosses a robot on top of the viewing windows? Very mixed feelings there.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah exactly. Minotaur was "crab walking", but also really obviously limping in Witch Doctor's direction - it had to keep retreating from it.

Also I always laugh when they have a guy come out with a crowbar and get to it lol

Same thing with the Ribbot fight, there needs to be some better metric for deciding if your movement is controlled. The circumference test mentioned, or maybe having you agree to stay within x feet of your own position while you wait for the countdown on the other bot. Run away, and the countdown must reset much like attacking can risk a countdown in progress.

If you need to move out of the way because they're coming for you, it means they're coming for you.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Borsche69 posted:

Part of the problem just seems to be the scale of the scores. 3 points doesn't deliver a lot of granularity. Hydra was in control for like 80-90% of the fight (at least how it looked from TV). But the way it's forced to be scored makes it seem more like they were only in control for 2/3rds of the fight.

Probably less editing for time could help overall but I'm in agreement when it comes to granularity talk. It wouldn't make scoring easier, but I wonder if even something like "first half/second half" scoring could help make a difference. One point for being "more aggressive" in the first half, one point for being "more aggressive" in the second half, one point for overall intensity?

Actually it's at the point of reliability and battery power that going four minutes might be another welcome change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

hexwren posted:

who the gently caress in the league thought that was even sightly okay

Probably a fellow spinner