Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

You could try The Leaky Establishment by David Langford, Pratchett wrote the foreword to it and basically described it as the nuclear book he would have written in it. It's nuclear weapons research rather than power and if you don't mind the Britishness of the humor, it's absolutely hilarious.

Just found and immediately bought this on Thriftbooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Meaty Ore posted:

Yeah, it reads really quick. I think it took me three or four days reading for about an hour each day, and I tend to be a slow reader. Not having any chapters helped, I think; having few "clean" breaks in the narrative prompts one to keep reading, and of course stuff keeps happening to keep the reader invested.

It's funny you mention this- Pratchett was on record as being against chapters because he thought of them as merely a way to say "Take a break from reading here." It looks like he was right!

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

suggestions for January?
My reccs are:

The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton, is a classic with just some wonderful prose which has gotten me through a lot of winter grumps

or, more winter themed

Early Riser by Jasper Fforde is about a society that goes into hibernation for the winter except for the winter preservation corp whose job it is to keep them all alive. Very fun and whimsical

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

I've been on a big Agatha Christie kick lately, so The Murder of Roger Akroyd appeals to me in a big way, especially since it's with my favorite detective, one M. Poirot.

That said, The Sun Also Rises would give me an excuse to finally read any Hemingway at all.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

The Land of Mist is at least interesting as Professor Challenger, previously best-known for being in The Lost World winds up becoming a devoted Spiritualist (Doyle wound up getting really involved in this in later life).

I do love hearing about Doyle’s wonderfully credulous relationship with spiritualism. I am half tempted to suggest his book about it, which coincidentally is also leaving copyright in January