Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I'm in. I think this is next in the ordered reading of Death books I have been doing so I can FINALLY read the copy of Night Watch I picked up some years ago...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is one of the few Discworld books that I think it's totally ok to read completely out of order (which is another reason it made the cut for BotM). The "Death Series" books are a lot more disconnected than the others until you hit this one. Mort, Reaper Man, and Soul Music are . . .fine. . . but this is the breakout.

Forgot about Soul Music.

Copy acquired. I haven't been in that particular bookstore (dedicated to SFF) in years and I forget just how big it is. Was a nice excuse to pay a visit.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Kestral posted:

Sold, putting this on the reading list immediately.

I just got to the [spoiler]mall Santa / Miracle on 34th Street[/spoiler scene, which I had completely forgotten. It's rare that books make me laugh out loud, but that part got me a couple times. Pratchett doesn't write children who are true to life, but they ring true on a certain level, don't they? Same as the rest of his characters, come to think of it.

Nice not-spoiler tags, but it is in the OP too so lol for anybody that cares for such things (note I do not)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Crossposted from the discord:

only 43 pages in but its already had some memorable quotes. I'm a quite seen academical and I love this in particular, "Getting an education is a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on." Love Susan as a governess. She is giving these kids a very practical education.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The grotto scene was even better than I hoped

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

After something light how abotu something meaty? How about Grass's The Tin Drum?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Just finished it, and found it a really entertaining but of holiday escapism. But I was astounded to see my Eve main's name William Rubin (both Billy Rubin and bilirubin were all ready taken) checked in a fun way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, here are books entering public domain in january 2022 -- any of these look good to people?

https://www.windowsdispatch.com/public-domain-books-2022/

Sun Also Rises is up there for me, plenty I'd be willing to try though, not knowing much about them a priori