Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Mozu is fine. If you like growth units, she snowballs hard. In Conquest she rocks because she can pass around Archer to 3 other units and you can end up with a bunch of units with Quick Draw. Even in Birthright she's pretty decent since she can marry Hinata for Samurai skills after promotion and pick up Spear Fighter from Oboro and be a speedy tank with 3 seal skills. Those first 9 levels are a bit of a chore though.

Also I feel like I'm the only one who always makes Kaze a Mechanist. It's his best class option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I actually misread what the OP said about Mozu, with the bit about 'Birthright is least kind to her'. I reread it and get their original point now.

It's funny to me that the OP is using Mozu when she's at her shittiest comparatively speaking.

I always make Kaze a Mechanist too. It's really derp, but due to his stat allocation he really needs the increased bulk and does not need the extra speed from Ninja. Plus I find that Bows are a better secondary weapon type than Swords are too, so there's that benefit.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

LiefKatano posted:

The impression I got is that they like Mozu a lot in Conquest, because she's a Hoshidan unit in the Nohrian campaign - it's Birthright where she's unimpressive, because she's no longer "out of water".
Yeah, basically. Villager might be Mozu-unique but both of its promotions and the Archer class are all things you can get normally in Hoshido. I want to say the kids in Birthright are worse than the Conquest ones so her role as a great mother is less useful too, but I might just be saying that because I've never really used the BR kids that much.

Keldulas posted:

I actually misread what the OP said about Mozu, with the bit about 'Birthright is least kind to her'. I reread it and get their original point now.

It's funny to me that the OP is using Mozu when she's at her shittiest comparatively speaking.

I always make Kaze a Mechanist too. It's really derp, but due to his stat allocation he really needs the increased bulk and does not need the extra speed from Ninja. Plus I find that Bows are a better secondary weapon type than Swords are too, so there's that benefit.
I never normally bother with her in Birthright so using her here is kind of a novelty for me. Maybe if against all good sense I do a Revelation LP I'll use her there too so you can get to see her in an environment that's more kind to her.

I think I prefer Kaze as a Master Ninja in Conquest and a Mechanist in Birthright? I've never really thought too hard about the difference but in CQ he won't have access to Sting Shurikens and appreciates having the Armourslayer, and in Birthright the extra bulk and Golembane go a little further. Yumi are much better than bows so that helps with the decision too.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Time to go to the opera. I took way too many plot screenshots and I have a failed attempt I would like to show off, so I guess I'm going to split this chapter into 2 different updates to stop it from being too long and confusing. Does that mean there will also be 2 different Kevin MacLeod royalty-free tunes for this chapter? Maybe. Maybe...

This view gives me Professor Layton vibes... It's certainly very pretty. If only we got to explore this city fully! Or country? Is this a city or a country I forgot.

Now I'm imagining passive-aggression beach deck-chair wars being waged between Nohrian and Hoshidan tourists like British and German holidaymakers supposedly do. Getting up at the crack of dawn to claim the nicest spots with towels patterned with the Hoshidan flag before the Nohrians can do the same.

The opera chapter is always where the furry characters show up, even in Rev. I don't know why. Surely both versions of the ninja chapter could be gutted for a friendly visit to each nation's allied tribe...

Anyway, this NPC who only shows up once with a unique portrait can't sing for Garon because her mother is dying, so Azura's going to take her place, sing her song while magically disguised as her by Zola, and then we're going to use this distraction to very heroically attempt to capture Garon while he's unnarmed in neutral territory. We are definitely doing this poor girl a favour by implicating her in a plot to capture the famously violent and spiteful king of Nohr.

Elise is also here enjoying the opera. She's the one royal sibling who never shows up as an enemy after Chapter 6, we don't get to beat her up for a stat booster like Sakura in Conquest.

Azura in Conquest was allegedly using this magical song to purge Garon of his demons, here in Birthright she is actively trying to harm him. I don't have any sympathy for Garon because he sucks but these are the kind of underhanded strategies we killed our allies for employing in Conquest.

Oops, Zola was a traitor the whole time and his entirely pointless sacrifice was a set up! I quite like this little scene, having a bad guy sacrifice themselves for someone else is an obvious way to redeem them, but Zola's dive for Takumi was entirely cynical and calculated. He literally just jumped in the way of an attack because he knew there was a healer right next to him and he saw an oppurtunity to score some brownie points.

Zola's not completely betraying us though, he still wants Garon to spare Kevin. Obviously this does not work and Garon kills Zola for the crime of asking him to do anything.

I am genuinely sorry for all the plot. Anyway, this map! This map is really... weird? It's the only Escape map in the series, and it mirrors Conquest's Chapter 12 escape map with Ryoma and the pots.

The escape point is located at the top of the map. Getting here is stupidly easy, just pair Corrin up with one of your 3 fliers and have them escape as early as turn 2 with pretty much no opposition whatever. Even if you got every single one of them killed, you can still either Heart Seal Sakura or spend a Master Seal to promote Setsuna or Takumi.

If you want to do the chapter "properly" however, you'll have to fight your way through a gauntlet of pretty powerful enemies to reach this dragon vein that'll freeze all the water and allow easy passage for your grounded units to the exit. Doing things this way can be very difficult if you don't have a powerful and bulky 1-2 range attacker, there's a huge amount of 1-2 range enemies to break through and the narrow passageways mean most of your army will be stuck queuing up behind a chokepoint with nothing useful to do.

Oh and Garon is here. There is no styling on Garon for bragging rights unless you spend hours upon hours grinding in optional chapters, his stats are insane and thanks to his 1-3 range there is nowhere safe to attack him from. I don't think his stats are quite as high as his endgame ones (spoiler, you fight garon!!!) but he is not a guy you're expected to defeat.

It's only a short distance to the vein and the treasure chest next to it, but good luck reaching it easily. All of these enemies have Javelins or Hand Axes or bows (except this guy), and their stats are pretty powerful too. These Great Knights in particular are a menace, they hit incredibly hard and they're decently fast too. The Hammer this guy drops does help muscling through some of these enemies at least!

I really want two fliers for this chapter, one to carry Kevin and the other for backup. Reina will be a big help here but even she doesn't want to get shot with anything. Mozu won't be contributing anything and Hinata I can't see doing much either.

I'm going to try and do this map at least sort of properly, in that I won't just skip it in 2 turns. I want that precious EXP too badly!

I'm probably going to need some tonics. Trial and error is my general way of figuring out which ones I'll need. I send Orochi and Subaki over to the exit to try to kill some guys for EXP but even with the pair-up she's not fast enough.

Kaze pairs up with Rinkah for more physical stats and takes Kagero's Sting Shuriken to muscle through these armours. The Sting Shuriken is an armourslaying shuriken, it's immensely helpful for this chapter. I assume Kaze won't be bulky enough for this without tonics and will die, this is kind of a trial run to see what exactly I need.

Otherwise nobody at the start really gets to do anything. Felicia can stand near Kaze to give him some bulk, but any unit who gets attacked instead of Kaze is just going to make things harder by not killing in retaliation. Not even Kaden, who's stats I forgot to take a screenshot of. Whoops!

Kaze's got the front line handled so my fliers are just taking out random guys at the top. This Outlaw could kill Reina in a single hit on enemy phase so this wouldn't be a safe thing to attempt normally, but it's turn 1 and I'm just doing whatever so who cares.

Here's the real reason why this chapter is such a pain - this guy. He shows up at the beginning of enemy phase on turn 1, moving as soon as he appears. In Conquest's Chapter 12 you could defeat Ryoma to get a Secret Book as an optional bonus, but here...

Kaze one-rounds and takes little damage in return, nice. It makes me wonder though, what if I just gave him a tonic and swapped out Rinkah for Mozu instead? They get to build support, Mozu gets EXP, his defense remains pretty much the same...

This guy is by far the scariest of the bunch and even he doesn't manage to deal too much damage. Unfortunately he doesn't die in one round either, but perhaps that's actually good? One of my other guys could finish him off.

The Great Knight I sent Orochi to fight can at least be doubled on enemy phase thanks to his Javelin. Unfortunately he is strong and Orochi's accuracy against him is not good.

There's a reason I paired Kevin up with Reina - having him here will bait Xander over to the exit, instead of towards my other units. Constantly having a flier take him in and out of attacking range will have Xander move back and fourth, effectively stalling for time while I activate the dragon vein...

...the dragon vein I need a royal to activate. Kevin is my only royal. Oops! It's a good thing this attempt failed so early, it wasn't very well thought out.

Here's what Big Bro's stats look like. These are straight up higher than the stats he'll have in the final fight against him in Chapter 26. You are not meant to defeat him...

...but you can. I've done it before with an RNG blessed Saizo stuffed to the gills with tonics, but my early promoted Kaze might be able to do the trick? He's got insane defense and a 1-2 range sword, so the trick is to debuff him with shurikens and very very slowly whittle him down.

Peri and Laslow are also here, with much scarier stats than they had in Conquest. Laslow will use Fancy Footwork to boost the stats of his nearby allies. +1 strength and speed isn't much, but it can mess you up.

My attempt ended immediately after when I discovered I had no way of safely dealing with the Great Knight at the top of the map I'd foolishly decided to fight. Whoops!

So what I've learned is: I can pair Kaze with Mozu instead of Rinkah for support points and EXP, Orochi needs tonics if she's going to go attacking random promoted units at the top of the map, and Kevin needs to be ready to activate the dragon vein when I need him to since he's the only one who can. I never post these failed attempts normally so hopefully this was interesting or educational! Sometimes when you don't know what to do you kind of have to throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks.

Next time: An easy win???

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
A fun thing about this chapter is if you're doing a Captured Units run, those Great Knights are your first promoted enemies you can capture (since you can never capture Invader units), and they're strong and beefy units that completely outclass everything up to that point and will last you a good long while.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

That's an HP, strength, and defense tonic for Kaze, and a speed tonic for Orochi. My funds are a little tight but I'm sure I'll get some more to waste soon.

I didn't want to find another song so here's the same one again. It's very escapey.

Here are Kaden's stats, I neglected to post them last chapter. He is a Kitsune, Birthright's beast unit. Unlike the physically powerful and defensive Wolfskin of Nohr, Kitsune are much faster and more resistant at the cost of worse physical stats. Resistance is somewhat wasted on units limited to 1 range attacks only, but Kitsune can be useful. Unfortunately Kaden does not start with a Beastrune to boost his bulk like his Conquest counterpart, so he's stuck with an item that makes him even more fragile than usual.

His Beastbane skill can be useful against the mounted units of this chapter, but otherwise Kaden won't be contributing a huge amount this chapter. Thankfully the 3 maps after this one are all full of beasts for him to deal effective damage against...

Someone needs to be undeployed to make room for Mozu. I'd rather bring Hayato along to unlock support points with Felicia, so Hana unfortunately must stay home.

Otherwise things are pretty much the same. Kaze on the front line, Felicia backing him up with her defensive aura. Mozu's there instead of Rinkah just to build support points and maybe steal some EXP.

Orochi is airlifted to the top of the map to clean out the enemies there. She can double this Great Knight thanks to her speed tonic. I don't know if I need anyone to do this but it's good EXP so why not.

Oops, it seems like Kaze can't one-round anything anymore! I might have assumed Rinkah only boosted his strength as much as a tonic...

...and Orochi was fighting against the odds to kill this guy without dying herself next phase thanks to her poor accuracy. Hmm, despite my alleged "learning from mistakes" last attempt I sure haven't thought this out.

On the bright side, Kaze's inability to kill has left some fresh meat for my weaker recruits. Normally this would be wasting time for Xander to advance on my army, but with Reina flying Kevin over to bait Xander away from the front lines I might have more time to waste,

I don't mind Hayato getting kills if they all look like this. That magic's going to be a hard pit to climb out of, but suddenly these stats don't seem so bad?

Rinkah will appreciate this for defeating any other Great Knights, although some inventory shuffling might have to be done to get it to her.

Look, there's Kaden being useful! I want to support him with Rinkah, so I'll be doing my best to keep them together.

Kaden deals good damage against the Cavaliers, but he also takes a lot in return. Skills such as Beastbane only double the might of weapons, as opposed to how regular effective weaponry works which is that their might is tripled when they're effective against their opponent.

I'm going to swap Kaze to his Brass Yumi - he'll one-round Outlaws with it and all but one enemy will be forced to engage him at 2 range anyway. Felicia moves with Kaze to keep his defenses buffed.

Orochi's going to get killed by Xander if she stays here, so I swap her to Subaki and pin this Cavalier so he'll be forced to attack and be defeated on enemy phase. I think someone drops a Beast Killer soon...

With Xander all the way back here I no longer have to worry about activating the vein before he arrives... Although it might be an issue if he's in front of the escape route.

More stats for Rhajat when I eventually unlock her. Felicia is far to weak to hurt anyone now.

Oh, here's a time incentive I'd forgotten about - this Outlaw has Locktouch. I hadn't even noticed until I'd already attacked him. That's one less thing to worry about! I guess I could stall out the whole chapter if I really wanted now.

Meanwhile Reina takes Kevin and flies around killing random enemies to clear a path for an eventual escape. Her personal skill heals some HP after every kill, it's quite helpful when she's got nobody to heal her.

I'm almost at the chest, I may as well put Kevin down here and activate the vein to complete the chapter "properly".

At the start of turn 5 Azura will remind you that you need to escape, presumably confused that you haven't flier-skipped the map yet. All enemies will aggro on you from this turn onward, so things will suddenly get a lot more dangerous.

There's a lot of guys you'll suddenly have to deal with. Managing single tile chokepoints might be easy, but when you activate the dragon vein all the water will turn into traversable land...

Like so. There's a clear path to the exit! Good thing this isn't Conquest and the center platform isn't full of Hexing Rod Shrine Maidens and Lunge Archers.

I guess it was good of me to have sent Orochi to clear out the Great Knight at the top, otherwise he'd be there to foil my escape. Reina cleared out all the other enemies.

A Dracoshield is very nice indeed, a lot of my army is lacking in defense. Who to give it to though...

Unfortunately the front line is now going to be a lot harder to hold. Kaze's bulky enough to take hits in single file but he does not want to be surrounded.

The ice itself gives a slight movement penalty - 1 extra point of movement to traverse for infantry, 2 for mounted units. All the more reason just to fly over it...

Most of the advancing enemies follow the path made by the boats as it's the path of least resistance. Xander however has decided he's going to camp the exit instead of going around... This might be a problem! Also he replaced Peri with a generic Outlaw. I guess that's probably an improvement.

Not to worry, Reina's going to reach the point next turn regardless of where Xander stands. This game isn't mean enough to have him sit on the escape point.

Kaze's going to have to hold out for another turn. There's nowhere safe for Felicia to heal him from, so Rinkah has to step in to shove her up a single tile. I think that's the first time I've used this skill?

Unfortunately all the enemies are now piling on her. I don't particularly care about EXP for Kaze, but EXP for Mozu from dual-guards would have been nice.

So I could end this chapter this turn and I will probably have to to avoud dying, but not needing to worry about enemy phase means I can make some aggressive last minute moves to get some EXP.

First things first, Rinkah needs her Hammer. It would have made sense to have traded it when Rinkah shoved Felicia, but oh well!

Remembering to have Rinkah equip it in combat is one step too much for me though. This frozen terrain looks really cool, although it's odd how how lumpy this frozen lake is.

Three happy couples all get a chance to kill together. I'm glad Mozu got to do something to justify me bringing her!

I could do this if I really wanted to see Xander's battle quote... but I won't. I don't think I would have been able to defeat him even if I wanted to!

What a mess, and what a weird chapter. It's strange to only half cheese a map, but skipping it entirely would have been boring and I did need feel like prolonging it to rout everybody but Xander and Garon. I'm just glad I'm done with it...

I think his strength has actually gotten worse since he reclassed. Please don't kill your poor defenseless brother!

Don't worry, Elise is here to save the day. Sakura never did this for us in Conquest... I know which family I prefer.

It sure does! Innocent people like that poor songstress we just framed for the attempted murder of Garon. Things are probably going to suck for her.

Next time: Hoshido backs a coup in Nohrian territory

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I've never had good luck with Kaden. Keaton is a range-locked barbarian who can be a decent bruiser and tank. Kaden is a range-locked ninja made to kill horses who dies to 2 hits. It doesn't help that it's another 3 maps before he gets any damage upgrades either. His heart seal option is mage I think and his growth and base are atrocious. I guess you could marry him off to Oboro or Rinkah for something weird but I just don't bother with him.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Kaden is okay cause he’s basically just a myrmidon/swordmaster that isn’t gross overkill, and, like, yeah you have options for that but they aren’t great. Like, I wish I just used Kaze or Kagerou on my BR play through but he had enough HP to offset his bad defenses, unlike SOME units.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, but in fates dodgey dodging mechanics that doesn't change that one of the beast stone guys is comically better than the other. And velouria blows Keaton out of the water most of the time and is a great unit to his being just a solid one.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly I'm just glad that Keaton manages to be good in any fashion. Fire Emblem has a very bad track record with beast-type characters being actually good characters to use.

Ventadour
Feb 17, 2012

Such is the way of things, I fear. I shall consider it a miracle if mine armor is not stained crimson ere this conflict is ended.
My main use for Kaden has been passing down Rend Heaven to his kids. I think it worked out best when I paired him with Azura once.

Thanks for this thread! For all its warts, Fates has gameplay I really like and I'm really enjoying reading what it's like on Lunatic, since I only play on Hard.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Walla posted:

I've never had good luck with Kaden. Keaton is a range-locked barbarian who can be a decent bruiser and tank. Kaden is a range-locked ninja made to kill horses who dies to 2 hits. It doesn't help that it's another 3 maps before he gets any damage upgrades either. His heart seal option is mage I think and his growth and base are atrocious. I guess you could marry him off to Oboro or Rinkah for something weird but I just don't bother with him.
I remember seeing a large effortpost about how Kaden can be very useful in a lot of chapters, although it did depend on him being supported with Rinkah and being given tonics which is the sort of thing that makes everyone good. I've never thought much of him either but I'm going to try my best to make him be useful.

Ventadour posted:

My main use for Kaden has been passing down Rend Heaven to his kids. I think it worked out best when I paired him with Azura once.

Thanks for this thread! For all its warts, Fates has gameplay I really like and I'm really enjoying reading what it's like on Lunatic, since I only play on Hard.
I don't remember if I ever played Birthright on Hard or not, so unlike Conquest I'm not sure how different it is... Hopefully enough to be interesting!!!

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

A character must make 20 kills before you can build them a statue, so it's always interesting to see who unlocks their statue when. Kaze's levelled up so many times and been immensely useful so far and yet he unlocked his at the exact same time as Mozu. I guess he's usually weakening foes for others while Mozu's always stealing kills that have been set up for her?

Next chapter is when I'll unlock the level 2 versions of each shop so I'm saving my DVP for then. I don't mind only upgrading the jade spring, it's not as if I'm ever at any risk of running out of fish, and surplus minerals can be swapped for more useful ones.

Kaze's got an A support with Rinkah and only a B with Mozu. A little annoying considering it's Mozu I want him to marry... Kaze/Rinkah builds pretty fast thanks to them both being in the prologue chapters and all things considered it's not a bad support at all, although I think Kaze benefits from it more than Rinkah does.

Subaki and Orochi have hit their S support, and that means it's Babyrealms time!!! Funny that their conversation revolves around Subaki wanting to become a Diviner since that's what S supporting Orochi will allow him to do. I wish I could put Hayato in the babyrealms.

Just out of curiosity I decided to see what his stats would look like as one. His magic might be complete garbage, but the rest of his stats don't seem so bad? He'd certainly be very physically bulky for a magic user, and Orochi would help his magic considerably. Orochi herself has already been quite blessed by the RNG though and I'll have Rhajat joining soon, so I won't do it.

Here's a quick comparison of Subaki's daughter's stats compared to his own. I'm not sure I want to commit to recruiting her just yet, but I might?

She's certainly a lot better than he is anyway. That's +3 strength, +6 magic, +4 luck, and +2 resistance she has over him, compared to the +2 HP, +5 skill, and +4 defense he has over her. She's also slightly lower level... I'm certainly up to replacing him. Maybe I should change my plans and do her paralogue before Chapter 13.

I also need to decide who gets this Dracoshield, I'm genuinely unsure... Orochi's weirdly blessed in physical bulk, maybe she deserves it? Giving defense boosters to units with no defense at all is normally a bad idea, but hers is just about good enough that she could take multiple attacks in one enemy phase. I don't want to hoard boosters so I'll force myself to use it next chapter, but I'm happy to take suggestions!

Here is everyone. I have no long term plans to use Reina, even if she is quite good. I just think she deserves a spot on the list for her contributions so far.

Takumi
Archer (HS: Spear Fighter)
A+ Support Partners: Jakob (Troubadour), Ryoma (Samurai), Hinata (Samurai)
Personal Skill: Competitive (+3 damage dealt, -1 damage taken, and +10 crit when unit is in the lead and supported by a unit of a higher or equal level)
Pair-Up Stats (C B A S): Skl Spd Str Skl+Def
Growths (With Default Class):
HP: 50% (60)
STR: 35% (50)
MAG: 0% (0)
SKL: 60% (75)
SPD: 40% (55)
LCK: 45% (50)
DEF: 35% (45)
RES: 20% (20)

Oops I started writing Takumi's analysis and then realised that the next unit I'm supposed to write for is actually Oboro... Oh well! I'll just write hers next.

Takumi's growths are actually a little lower than what I remember... 35% strength is surprisingly middling for a royal. Archers have great class growths and his performance is good enough (and his competition bad enough) for it to not really matter, but it surprised me when I was typing them out. Neither his growths or his bases particularly stand out compared to your other units, but Takumi's immediate draw is his 14 might personal weapon, the Fujin Yumi. It might not compare to the 1-2 devastation machines that are the Rajinto and Seigfried, but 14 might on a weapon with 0 drawbacks as early as Chapter 10 will make Takumi's invidual attacks the strongest until Ryoma joins, even if he's only making one of them per turn.

I've said before that Birthright's map design isn't too kind to bow users, but Takumi's recruitment time is extremely beneficial to him. Assuming you don't KO him for laughs like I did, the Fujin Yumi will help out immensely in Chapter 10, bypassing the ninjas high avoid with WTA and dealing enough damage to potentially 1 shot them with the right support partner. In Chapter 11 Takumi will one-shot every enemy he fights thanks to the Fujin Yumi's effective 42 might against flying foes, and in Chapter 13 there are many Wyvern Lords your non-magic attackers will struggle to handle.

Unfortunately once that gauntlet is over Takumi merely becomes okay. His stats aren't as busted as you might expect from other royals, and enemy fliers stop appearing in large numbers until the game's final stretch in which every map becomes a giant open field of strong enemies that are very hostile to units who can only counterattack at 2 range. Still useful enough to perform decently well without EXP investment and worth bringing along if there's room, but he won't be anywhere near as powerful as the Conquest royals. Competitive, while potentially powerful, is somewhat of an inconvenient skill to make use of - if you're attaching a higher level unit to Takumi then you're more than likely depriving yourself of one of your better units, and Archers generally prefer to go unpaired to make better use of dual strikes. The bonus still applies even if Takumi is in attack stance, but dual attacks can be difficult to set up consistently. Unlike Ryoma's Bushido it's not a good idea to dedicate a unit for the sole purpose of gluing themselves to Takumi to keep his personal skill active.

The Fujin Yumi's ability to ignore terrain costs makes Kinshi Knight's flying utility less of an upgrade to Takumi than it is to other Archers, but it does still provide him with an extra point of movement and the ability to cross gaps or mountains. Otherwise Sniper is the better choice for both stats and class skills, as well as the instrinsic boosts to hit and crit it provides. Takumi won't do terribly as a Spear Fighter, but it's arguably a downgrade when it takes away his access to the Fujin Yumi. Rend Heaven and Seal Defense are pretty good skills for him to pick up at least, and dipping into the class tree briefly will let him build lance rank for Kinshi Knight.

Troubadour's class skills aren't awful for Takumi, especially since he likes to stand near other, higher level units that would appreciate the AoE buffs, but the class itself is not good for him at all. Samurai's skills don't syngerise well with Archers 2 range, but Takumi's skill is high enough that he could activate Astra a little more consistently than others. A Takumi that's dipped into Spear Master and Master of Arms could have all 3 of Seal Speed, Defense, and Strength could be the perfect unit for setting up kills for others I guess? A Takumi that S supports Setsuna will gain access to the Ninja class tree and therefore Mechanist, a class that can use bows as well as shurikens.

Pros
  • Unique access to the incredibly poweful Fujin Yumi, a 14 might yumi that allows the wielder to ignore terrain cost
  • Incredibly useful in the chapters immediately after he joins, can deal large damage with high accuracy to Ninjas as well as OHKOing nearly all flying enemies he faces
  • Incredibly high skill will allow Takumi to reach 100% hit against nearly all foes in the game when combined with Sniper's Sure Shot
  • Personal skill provides very potent combat buffs, if also a little hard to activate consistently
  • Is a royal, has dragon blood
Cons
  • Somewhat middling speed, suffers slightly more from it than other units on account of preferring not to be paired up as an Archer
  • Has middling performance during chapters 14-22 in which flying enemies are scarce
  • Birthright's map design is not incredibly kind to bow users

My Thoughts: The only person immune to Corrin's mind controlling powers

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's worth noting that if you give Takumi access to Samurai (via Ryoma, Hinata or Hana), he gets a unique Swordmaster skin based on his father.

Not that it's really worth doing, but hey. Sakura also gets a unique Priestess skin based on her mom, but hers is way easier to get.

Ventadour
Feb 17, 2012

Such is the way of things, I fear. I shall consider it a miracle if mine armor is not stained crimson ere this conflict is ended.
Voting to give the booster to Orochi. I'm a bit biased since she's one of my favourite characters - in supports, at least, I've never managed to make her viable long-term - so I want her to flourish in your run.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Man, that Caeldori's gonna be a bit of a mess. I say pick her up and use her! :getin:

Malah
May 18, 2015

SETSUNA HUNGERS FOR BOOSTERS :getin:

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

So I was going to ask for some last minute votes on the Dracoshield since right now I'm sitting at 1 for Orochi and 1 for Setsuna, but it seems someone has tried to swing the vote by buying me a new avatar. They were 100% successful and now I am going to waste this Dracoshield on my flimsy Archer who's never going to get hit. Thanks for that by the way, I really appreciate it : )

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's worth noting that if you give Takumi access to Samurai (via Ryoma, Hinata or Hana), he gets a unique Swordmaster skin based on his father.

Not that it's really worth doing, but hey. Sakura also gets a unique Priestess skin based on her mom, but hers is way easier to get.
I've made Sakura a Priestess before, but it never occured to me she had the same outfit as her mother - I just thought that was the standard Priestess outfit. Same with Lissa as a Sage in Awakening...

It's a shame none of the Nohr kids got the same outfit treatment, even if Garon's class is a unique one nobody else gets. Garon!General Xander would have been a fun little easter egg

theshim posted:

Man, that Caeldori's gonna be a bit of a mess. I say pick her up and use her! :getin:
I will, don't worry! She is 100% replacing Subaki. Can't do Bolt Naginata shenanigans with a guy who hasn't gained magic once.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

It's a choice between two 13s... I said I wanted to recruit Caeldori and I will, but it did occur to me that she'll perform best with the Bolt Naginata and I won't get that for another chapter. If I were to do Chapter 13 I could recruit her after I've bought it, autolevelling her in the process...

Time to liberate Cheve! Then we can install a puppet ruler who represents Hoshidan interests instead.

Oh god oh no run over, the destroyer of worlds is here!!! I've seen what Camilla can do and I don't want any of that.

This is one of those scenes that can make you feel a little embarrassed to be playing Fates while taking public transportation or whatever, Camilla's introduction is a slow walk towards you full of boob and butt shots.

The hug was just one last gesture of affection before she totally murders Kevin and all of his friends. Supposedly the parts of Camilla's backstory you can infer from her support with Niles and Elise's support with Leo imply that Camilla was forced by her mother to kill or at least assist in killing some of his other illegimate children to secure political power, but looking at them I don't really see that? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place or maybe it's a localisation thing, who knows.

Chapter 13 is Cheve time, except now we're the goodies instead of the baddies. Camilla starts where your army starts in Conquest, and we start where Scarlet and her squad would normally be. There's surprisingly few maps in Fates that get turned on their head like this, it's a shame this type of switcheroo wasn't done more often.

Camilla's non-HP and magic stats are actually worse than they are when she joins in Conquest, but she's still a pretty big threat. She'll move as soon as you enter her range and she will use dragon veins too. Bowbreaker is pretty scary on a bulky flying unit, and her Ragnarok tome gives her WTA against yumis too. You'll want a high res ninja like Kaze or Kagero to bait her over.

Royal retainers in Conquest are minibosses loaded with powerful skills, retainers in Birthright are just there so their faces can entice you into trying the other route. Selena is mildy threatening but won't approach you until the chapter's pretty much over on account of her being a footlocked unit behind a moat, Beruka's pretty much a generic Wyvern Rider.

Hans is also here and no you do not get to kill him for good this early in the game. Luring Hans over is a daunting process thanks to his huge crit rate (10% higher than displayed thanks to Gamble!), so you might want to aggro Camilla to trigger him to start moving of his own accord. Otherwise he's fairly easy to whittle down with ranged attacks.

Promoted generics are just a fact of life you'll have to deal with now. The Generals are paired with Outlaws to boost their speed and movement, and the Wyvern Lords require you to bring a bow or tome user to deal decent damage against them. Otherwise the other enemies are mostly filler.

The dragon veins in this chapter drop all units in a certain area to 1 HP. They can be quite useful for dealing with tough enemies (Hans especially!), but watch out - Camilla will use them too. The one she's most likely to go for is the one right next to her which targets the leftmost bridge across the moat, so it's best to go around the long way to reach the enemies back there.

Oh and this one exists too if you're struggling to kill this Outlaw right next to your starting point with your entire army righr next to him. You will not struggle to kill this Outlaw with your entire army right next to him.

There's no room for Reina, Oboro has to be benched once again, but Subaki's here for a special reason - one of these villages gives a Heart Seal, and I want him to grab Duellist's Blow for his daughter. Hopefully the EXP from assisting in dual guards will be enough for him to level up without having to fight a single enemy.

I suppose if someone bought an avatar for me I can't not waste this defense item on my fragile Archer. Setsuna's fairly strength blessed, maybe she can go Kinshi and be a frontliner? Or maybe I have just been bribed into doing something very silly for no good reason.

Some of the rightmost villagers will be targetted by Outlaws if you leave them for too long, otherwise this is kind of a chill chapter. Things don't get too bad until you aggro Camilla and every enemy starts to rush you the turn after. The two villagers north of your starting location make for an excellent chokepoint and the bottom right path has few enough enemies that your weaker units can get some easy EXP there.

First up: this thing, at long last! I'll have to ferry it to Subaki soon if I want him to get Duellist's Blow. I don't have to worry about reclassing him back if his daughter's going to replace him...

Using Orochi to choke this point is somewhat risky, but it's also turn 1 so if she dies I can just reset. All the axe users have a hit rate of about 45% on her and I'm pretty sure with Kevin's Troubadour aura she only needs to dodge a single one to survive...

Some day Mozu will be getting kills on her own steam... My plan to make her a Spear Master isn't going very well, I should really start undeploying some people in order to bring Oboro along.

Underdog can be a useful skill, but it's also one I tend to forget exists. Mozu being as unverlevelled as she is should mean she'll benefit from it for a while. Her accuracy isn't terrible but the 15 extra hit should be nice.

Yum yum, Spirit Dust. Caeldori might appreciate this, seeing as Hayato's probably getting benched and magic is the one thing Orochi doesn't need any more of.

Oops, I miscalculated and it turns out Orochi dies in exactly 2 hits! And she got hit by the first 2 enemies to attack her. This is okay, I can just replay the whole chapter with the exact same moves except I'll have someone else choke this point instead.

At least she'll still get this great level thanks to Lunatic's fixed level RNG. Speed is very cool, you could actually call her fast now!

Subaki will tank the point instead to earn some EXP. The plan is for him to reclass just before he levels up, at which point he'll just have to perform a dual guard or 2 in his new class to level up and get Duellist's Blow.

Weapon triangle doesn't matter too much when you've got 18 defense. His terrible offense doesn't matter, I don't actually want him to kill any of these enemies.

In a game with GBA style RNG and avoid formula Hana could solo almost the entirity of this map, but her dodge chances are dicey enough that I really won't want to leave her in range of more than one enemy at a time. Still though, this is all very satisfying to watch.

Unfortunately I did not think this chokepoint point through much beyond the firs turn, there's now a large number of high movement enemies charging me. Maybe I should have had Rinkah do it instead...

I'll just pretend Subaki is a wall and have all my ranged attackers peek over his shoulders and steal kills. This should be sustainable for at least a little while.

If this were Thracia I wouldn't be complaining about Kevin's needlessly high skill. Heal staves can miss in that game.

I could just restart and handle this chokepoint more sensibly, but I'll work with what I've got. That one Fighter isn't going to kill anyone.

I love this one villager portrait, I almost wish that Conquest got a villager character with her design... I don't know who to give the Talisman to. Rinkah?

Kaden is tearing poo poo up on the opposite side of the map where his help isn't really needed... Rinkah's a great support partner for everyone, but she's especially great for someone fast but fragile like he is. She also appreciates the extra speed he gives him.

Oh, now all the mounted enemies have reached my other units. Kaden will easily one-round all of the Cavaliers, but considering his poor bulk I want to do my best to make sure he's only fighting them and nothing else.

There's nothing more satisfying than two units levelling up at the same time from the same combat. Hana's speed is never going to be a problem so long as Hinata's paired up with her, but 18 isn't quite fast enough to double everything on her own...

Now here's a thing I expect from myrmidon units. I don't actually think they were a very useful class out of a select few games, but I sure have memories of all my fast sword guys dodging axes and critting everything!

A very Setsuna level. Not all of them can involve her getting strength, I guess.

Time for Subaki to take on a new role! What an exciting change this will be for him. Those stats certainly suit him more...

I didn't even give him a weapon, he's just here to be a roadblock. I probably should have at least given him the Brass Katana?

Rinkah's support lets Kaden avoid the 2HKO from Cavaliers, making him extremely useful for taking them out - thanks to dual guard he can take out groups of 4 at a time. That's also an extremely good first level for him! Kaden's strength is actually quite decent, he just can't boost it much until he gets the Beastrune.

The situation has finally calmed down and Orochi can come back out from behind Subaki's back. Hopefully Subaki can secure a level without ever having to do anything.

Both Setsuna and Hayato take potshots from behind the chokepoint to make things just a bit more safer. Setsuna has Azama to build support points with, Hayato is unfortunately on the opposite side of the map to Felicia. I'm not taking this as seriously as I did my Conquest playthrough, if I were I probably would have restarted a long time ago and approached this map with some proper forethought.

Is Hayato finally good? His last few levels seem to have been winners. Unfortunately he's got a blessed and invested Orochi to keep up with.

Underdog boosts Mozu's avoid to pretty decent levels, although definitely not to consistent dodging level. I never realised how mediocre Mozu was in any other class but Archer...

This guy's inventory sums up Birthright's item distribution. Enemies love to carry Hoshidan weapons for the sole purpose of giving them to you. I don't know if they're coded to avoid using them or not, but they never seem to.

The Outlaws have finally started moving and they're out for villages. I can't bring the fight to them on account of the pair of them cowardly hiding in Hans's kill radius, but I can stick Rinkah on a village tile and force them to eat her Throwing Club counerattacks.

The Wane Festal is similar to the Physic staff, just way cheaper and less effective at actually healing. They're so plentiful that you can sling them around without much worry for wastage, but expect to see a lot of crappy single digit heals.

The top half of the map is a bit of a scary place to me. There are many promoted flying units with deceptively large ranges, and if you make the mistake of aggoring Camilla then soon the entire map will be upon you. This red range represents a Wyvern Lord who could OHKO Hana...

15 defense for a level 15 Monk is crazy even for Azama. Perhaps he should have been the unit I used for that initial chokepoint... Rinkah meanwhile has fully commited to being strength blessed and is now 4 points over her average. At this rate I could make her a Ninja and still have her 1 round most of her foes.

I guess I should reclass Felicia into a Hero as soon as this chapter is over and I upgrade the Rod Shop. The support bonuses she'll provide to Hayato as one will boost both his speed and defense by a lot... My plan is to have her pass Sol onto Rhajat so she needs to unlock it soon.

Money is nice. I've not been screenshotting every enemy drop I get, but all the thieves carrying around their pocket money along for robberies have been enough to sustain my coffers for now. Seems like every foe with Locktouch also comes with a 3000 gold bounty.

This is the Wyvern Lord I was worried about baiting earlier. He's not so bad when you aggro him and nobody else, but when he's charging you along with half the map after you accidentally aggro Camilla he can be very tough to deal with.

He's not very scary when Setsuna deals his max HP + 1 with a single hit.

Now I need to start thinking of how I handle Camilla. Allowing all the enemies to charge me of their own volition will mean I don't have to deal with dismantling their fortified positions across the moat, but at the very least I want to take out Hans first if I can. Being pinned between him, Camilla, and a paired up General could be scary.

Good thing he's stood right on top of the blast radius of a dragon vein. This damage won't aggro him but it will set him up for an easy snipe.

Here's the last village on the map. I don't know where this Nohrian got a Hoshidan weapon from... Did they steal it from someone's corpse??? Setsuna's +2 forged Iron Yumi already outclasses it and Reina doesn't have the rank to wield it, but maybe someone will want it.

There is one minor obstacle to rushing him - whoever does so is going to get attacked by this Wyvern Lord. A high movement unit like Kaze could easily snipe him and survive, but I'd prefer someone more in need of EXP did the deed.

You know what, gently caress it. Mozu can hitch a ride with him and do it herself. 91% hit is good enough!!!

Oh? Well Mozu's going to polish your bald scalp and hang it up to use as a mirror. That's a very nice level but all I see is the lack of HP, I think she's somewhat HP screwed.

May as well bait Beruka too while I can, she won't aggro anyone else. She's not very scary...

Oh god oh gently caress I might not have taken weapon triangle into account when I sent Mozu in. Good thing she levelled up in defense!!!

I can lure a few more enemies over before I aggro Camilla. This guy in particular really needs to go, Rinkah should be able to flatten him with a Hammer.

...or not, seems like he doesn't move at all until Camilla does. I could send in Rinkah to bonk him, but then she'd have to take a Ragnarok to the face.

Suddenly I'm not so sure that was a good idea. Setsuna could take out this Outlaw to minimise the damage Rinkah takes, but all those Knights are going to get to toss Javelins at her...

...and then I remembered the Rescue staff exists, and it's really cheap and plentiful to buy. Let's not get Rinkah killed for no reason.

This is much safer. Kaze doesn't fear Camilla's Ragnarok at all, and he can take a few physical hits on top of that with Felicia supporting him from afar. Let's go!

It's a little sad to make Kaze fight his wife from an alternate timeline. How would Camilla feel knowing her husband replaced her with a Hoshidan commoner?

It's odd to see her using tomes as her primary form of offense when in Conquest I only ever had her use them for softening up foes for others. The opening cutscene for this chapter also has her attack with Ragnarok instead of her axe.

The combination of shuriken debuffs and Ragnarok's silver weapon stat drops has already shredded her stats quite a bit, but Camilla's still free to fly around the map and axe my squisher units, and actually reaching her to deal the finishing blow is going to be quite tough...

Setsuna's accuracy is too heavily impacted by Bowbreaker for her to go for it, so she takes out one of the Knights instead.

Now that I've committed to wasting Rescues I can just send Kevin in to warp whoever I want over. Getting to waste these charges is very liberating, I wonder how many more I can buy?

It's still a big team effort to take out the Queen of Conquest. Orochi's now overlevelled enough that boss kills are the only thing that give her any decent amount of EXP.

Nice nice. Not that it matters, but Orochi's actually a little behind on strength!

One turn after Camilla goes, all the other enemies start moving. They won't be so hard to deal with, none of them fly or have mounts.

Selena's not scary, but she's got a cool sword. Did swords ever get that big IRL? I doubt she could really lift that with only one had.

Rinkah bonks the other General with a hammer and gets a weird level. I guess magic is nice if I do the Bolt Axe thing, but I've got another unit joining soon who will want it even more...

Hana wins the battle of the sword girls and gets the Practice Katana, an extremely weird Hoshidan sword that grants +5 speed. It's pretty decent for someone like Hinata or Silas who would otherwise struggle to consistently double. I have no idea how Selena got it...

Speaking of sword guys, Subaki still hasn't mananged to get his level. I might have to take drastic measures, such as actually giving him a weapon.....

Hayato's getting bulkier and bulkier. Some part of me thought it might be funny to make him a Butler, but I'm not sure I'll have room on my team...

Very reluctantly I allow Subaki to steal a kill to get him the last bit of EXP he needs. This was the last enemy on the map.

That took a while... Not really in terms of turncount, but more the amount of screenshots I took. I didn't use them all, but most chapters only go about half this long.

This seems like a pretty sensible assessment of the situation. Why couldn't Corrin have come to this conclusion in Conquest?

Unfortunately Leo is here to ruin Kevin's plans to recruit Camilla to our cause. I want a Bowbreaker flier on my team...

And then Ryoma and Scarlet show up to save the day, conveniently waiting for us to have finished the entire chapter before making their presense known. A bit of a dick move for Ryoma to abandon his family to go help in some revolution halfway across the continent, even if it might have helped Hoshido strategically. I'm pretty sure he left Takumi for dead!

Ryoma is a "win game" button, he's got great stats and a 1-2 range sword and his personal skill makes him even more bulky than he is already. He also has a Sun Festal for some reason?. I am not allowed to use him. Scarlet is a very powerful and often overlooked unit I will be using just because I don't think she gets enough love otherwise - I specified bad and overlooked units in the OP so I could justify using her. Unfortunately she's got Kevin as her only marriage prospect so I guess she's stuck with him. At least that means she can benefit from Supportive since he's not allowed to participate in combat at all.

Next time: Caeldori

Malah
May 18, 2015

midnight lasagna posted:

So I was going to ask for some last minute votes on the Dracoshield since right now I'm sitting at 1 for Orochi and 1 for Setsuna, but it seems someone has tried to swing the vote by buying me a new avatar. They were 100% successful and now I am going to waste this Dracoshield on my flimsy Archer who's never going to get hit. Thanks for that by the way, I really appreciate it : )
RIGGED! :argh:

theshim
May 1, 2012

After the monstrous Orochi I had in my Bad Units Run I would have voted it go to her as well, but making Setsuna the goddess of stats she always deserved to be is fine too. :allears:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I have to say, 'Yumi Nikki' is :allears:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Wait, you're using Scarlet but not Reina? That's a drat travesty. Also wow, Hayato sucks.

Rinkah does exceedingly well as a Chieftain. I think the class gives her around 10 magic at base and she will shred some fools with a rat spirit.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Scarlet is cool and also repeatedly killed off in every other route. Yes, that includes the route who's gimmick is recruiting everyone

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FoolyCharged posted:

Scarlet is cool and also repeatedly killed off in every other route. Yes, that includes the route who's gimmick is recruiting everyone

Also if you do grinding maps, you can marry Scarlet and have a child with her in between the mission where she joins and the immediate next mission where she dies.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Also if you do grinding maps, you can marry Scarlet and have a child with her in between the mission where she joins and the immediate next mission where she dies.

It was me, I did this. And I don't regret it, that was hilarious.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Scarlet is awesome. She's basically a royal, especially in a run where those are banned. I think there's few characters who can even reach her raw stats at level 20.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
recently started playing this because I needed something to scratch the fire emblem itch and I'd heard it was very bad and cringey, so I expected to jump in and immediately start rolling my eyes at everything

...but honestly? even if the plot is kinda generic, I'm enjoying the writing more than I ever did with Awakening. Characters have personalities! They're not particularly deep personalities, but I'll take it!

My one complaint is that, unlike Shadows of Valentia, none of the DLC gives you items that let you gently caress with the growth rates, which is a shame.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cythereal posted:

That's... actually kinda amazing? I'm surprised they didn't just lock out supports with her, but I guess it's the same as Kaze.

Walla posted:

Wait, you're using Scarlet but not Reina? That's a drat travesty. Also wow, Hayato sucks.

Rinkah does exceedingly well as a Chieftain. I think the class gives her around 10 magic at base and she will shred some fools with a rat spirit.

The Oni line is so weird and I feel like almost any unit can make use of either of the promotion classes in some way. You're either a not-Hero, or just a weird mixed attacker.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

This is non-lethal combat, Reina! Or at least I think it is. Who are all these strangers we're fighting here, anyway? Have I been killing random outrealm dwellers for sport all this time?

For some reason I think of Reina as being a yumi user as opposed to a naginata user, but her naginata rank is actually higher so that's what she fights with. Kinshi Knight does have a higher yumi rank cap than naginatas, but I don't think that's why I assumed that.

Beating Chapter 13 means I've unlocked the level 2 versions of both shops, and I may have bought just a little too much. I now have a Dual Katana, Naginata, and Club, a Bolt Naginata, a Pike-Ruin Club, an Axe-Splitter, and a Horse Spirit. All of these weapons are cool and good but now I can only afford a single Heart Seal.

With Subaki reclassed and on the bench I no longer have anybody to wield all these cool naginatas I bought... Reina could use them, but she's only deployed when I need her and not really a team member. I guess Caeldori starts with C lances? I really should think before I spend.

You and me both, Felicia... I mean obviously Hero Felicia is a very goofy class choice but I'm also not 100% sure about my decision to have Rhajat inherit Sol - it's a very powerful skill but Rhajat's skill growth is very low at a base value of 10%. Felicia as her mum will boost it, but probably not to an extent that she'll be able to activate Sol at all reliably. I guess I could have her inherit Quick Riposte instead, but that's boring.

At least she looks cool. I love the little hair flip female Heroes do after a battle, Fighter and Mercenary are some of my favourite talents for Corrin because of it.

Speaking of reclasses, here's why I wanted more than one Heart Seal - Scarlet's extremely powerful in her base class, but as a Corrinsexual (I really hate that term) she gets more reclass options than regular first gen units at base. My plan is to have her go Malig Knight and be a mixed attacker, but there's other classes I think she would like skills from too. I'm thinking I'll have her go Adventurer first? She won't be able to level up from combat for a while though, so there's no rush. As a promoted unit she's not going to get much more than 1 EXP per kill.

Setsuna Kaze B, Hayato Felicia A, C everyone else. Felicia please don't say Hayato is like a younger brother, it's only going to make your eventual marriage even weirder.

The Spirit Dust and Secret Book I'm saving, but I guess I should hand out my Talisman at some point. Rinkah would appreciate it, but it would be funny to give it to Setsuna... Hmm.

Everybody is enjoying their brand new weapons! Everybody except Orochi, I forgot to give her her Horse Spirit. I sure hope I don't leave it in the convoy for like 10 chapters in a row.

Oboro
Spear Fighter (HS: Apothecary)
A+ Support Partners: Rinkah (Oni Savage), Mozu (Archer), Orochi (Diviner)
Personal Skill: Nohr Enmity (+3 damage against Nohrian opponents (opponents with a Norhian base class - their current class does not matter, so Master Ninja!Shura would take 3 extra damage even though he's not a Nohrian and Master Ninja is not a Nohr class))
Pair-Up Stats (C B A S): Str Def Spd Skl+Lck
Growths (With Default Class):
HP: 30% (45)
STR: 40% (55)
MAG: 20% (20)
SKL: 40% (55)
SPD: 40% (55)
LCK: 40% (45)
DEF: 40% (50)
RES: 30% (35)

Oboro! Her parents died and now she's out for revenge, she's basically Batman. She's cool and fashionable and has one of the most interesting classes in the game, so I think she's a lot of people's favourite Hoshidan character.

Much like Hinoka, Oboro is someone I kind of struggle to say much about. Not because she's bad or mediocre or anything, she's pretty solidly good. It's because she's pretty good at everything that she's hard to talk about. All her stats are very well balanced, Spear Fighter's class growths are above average across the board, Oboro does basically anything well but not perfect. Fire Emblem characters tend to have worse defenses than offenses, especially in Birthright, so in practice Oboro's very average stats mean she's bulkier than most while maybe also being a little slower than average.

Oboro's most likely the only Spear Fighter you'll have for a while, so when judging her I kind of have to judge the Spear Fighter class itself. Spear Fighters are one of the best tanky classes Birthright has to offer - they have good defenses, no weakness to effective weaponry besides Pike-Ruin Clubs, and they use naginatas which raise their defenses even further. Oboro with a Guard Naginata will be one of your most reliable tanks once she's gotten a few levels. Seal Defense is an extremely useful tool for setting up kills for others, and Swap can be nice for getting units to the front line faster or pulling away weaker units who are in danger of being killed. If Oboro has any real flaws it's that she's not quite specialised enough - her attack and speed are both good but not great, she doesn't have a mount, and her bulk is slightly undercut by her poor HP. Her speed is also a little shaky at base, but that's easily fixed by swapping her Steel Naginata for an iron one.

Oboro is predominantly a physical unit so Spear Master is the obvious promotion choice for her, but her magic is just workable enough that she could run Basara with a magic-boosting pair-up partner like Hayato and a Bolt Naginata, especially if she can steal Magic + 2 from him. Both promotion options have great skills so either one is worth visiting no matter which you choose. Oboro will do okay as an Apothecary and every physical unit does well as a Mechanist, but Merchant is an especially interesting option for Oboro as she'll get to keep her lance rank and it'll make her good bulk even better, although it is somewhat of a hard sell over the already powerful Spear Master class.

Archer's not a bad choice for Oboro and she'll do pretty well as a Kinshi Knight, and since Mozu appreciates A+ supporting Oboro as well it's not a bad idea to put them together. Orochi can give Oboro access to Diviner for Magic + 2 as a Basara, but if Oboro's going magical then she probably wants to S support Hayato for it instead. Oboro does well as an Oni, but so does pretty much everyone. Going Oni would let her have a skillset consisting of 3 seal skills plus Shove and Swap if you wanted the ultimate assist unit though.

Nohr Emnity's a bit weird, although for the most part it's just +3 damage against Nohrian units. The weird technicalities don't come into play unless you're fighting other people's armies online. One strange thing to take note of however is that the generic enemies you face in optional grinding chapters don't take extra damage from it, no matter what their class is. For the most part though it's a pretty reliable +3 damage bonus, in Birthright at least it is a good skill.

Pros
  • A bulky unit with no weaknesses to effective weaponry who can use the Guard Naginata at base
  • Very solid stats, has no real flaws besides slightly underwhelming HP, and can work as a mother for pretty much any unit
  • Has good base stats and a high join level compared to other first gen units in Birthright
  • Only first gen unit to have the very useful Spear Fighter class at base

Cons
  • Very balanced stats mean she doesn't hugely excel in any one particular area

My Thoughts: I wish children weren't just limited to men in this game because I love the idea of Oboro having a reverse-weeb goth girl daughter who's obsessed with Nohrian fashion and culture who wants to leave her deeprealm to live in Nohr

midnight lasagna fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 28, 2021

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

So you want Oboro to be Rhajat's mother. :D

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You have Felicia's stats twice in the last update.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
personally, i made Oboro Selkie's mom, because Kaden has attack and speed in spades

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Malah posted:

RIGGED! :argh:
What can I say, democracy is a sham!!! I don't think I'll give her every stat booster but she is 100% getting the dragon herbs.

Walla posted:

I want to use Reina but with deployment slots as tight as they are I don't want to use anyone who isn't contributing to the unlocking of a child paralogue... In an alternate universe she'd have married Kevin instead.

Blaziken386 posted:

recently started playing this because I needed something to scratch the fire emblem itch and I'd heard it was very bad and cringey, so I expected to jump in and immediately start rolling my eyes at everything

...but honestly? even if the plot is kinda generic, I'm enjoying the writing more than I ever did with Awakening. Characters have personalities! They're not particularly deep personalities, but I'll take it!

My one complaint is that, unlike Shadows of Valentia, none of the DLC gives you items that let you gently caress with the growth rates, which is a shame.
Birthright's definitely the least bad of all the Fates games plotwise, it's not great but it's serviceable.

I never bought any SoV DLC but I loved messing around with unit growths in Thracia, more games should let you do that imo. I'd give Setsuna every growth booster just to see what happens.

Walla posted:

So you want Oboro to be Rhajat's mother. :D
...oh yeah I guess she is kind of that huh. Hmm. Is blue hair Goth?

Blaze Dragon posted:

You have Felicia's stats twice in the last update.
Oops! It's okay though, I accidentally posted hers instead of Subaki and he's dead to me now.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Truly Talented? We must be getting a new unit this chapter because that doesn't describe anybody in my army, dohoho!!!

...that's not even true, I have lots of good units. I just like complaining about the bad ones.

Meet Caeldori! She is Subaki's daughter, just in case you didn't think having a perfectionist pegasus rider with red hair wasn't referencing Awakening enough.

Caeldori is one of 3 Birthright kids who are almost identical clones of popular first-gen Awakening characters. Guess who this one is??? Caeldori is a fairly clumsy anagram of Cordelia, it sounds vaguely Gaellic but I don't think it means anything. I would believe it was a name if I heard it out of context though. Personality wise she's somewhat of a pre-Awakening Cordelia - no crush on Chrom, no TPKO-induced PTSD, and no insecurity about her perfectionism. Unlike the retainrs in Conquest however she is not actually Cordelia, her resemblence is merely coincidence with no travel between worlds involved.

Oh and I did make sure to give Orochi her Horse Spirit, just in case you thought I would forget! I thought I would forget.

Conquest exclusive child paralogues range from mildly annoying to direct and brutal kicks to the vitals, Birthright exclusive ones are mostly just rout maps like the route they come from. They do tend to be a little harder than shared paralogues though, and they have noticeably higher level enemies than Birthright's story chapters themselves do later on in the game, so they can be quite good for grinding levels if you're not allowing yourself to do that with the grinding maps the game gives you.

Caeldori's is definitely one of the easier ones, it's got easy to manage chokepoints and enemies that approach in small and easily manageable groups. The promoted enemies can be a little scary, but the map itself gives you the tools to deal with them in the form of Caeldori herself.

The boss is a little scary for this point of the game, he's got 27 magic and he moves! He won't move until provoked though, so I can save him for last when every other threat has been eliminated.

The other promoted enemies hit pretty hard and fast too. Having to deal with them is the price for extracting their delicious EXP...

I'm sorry Setsuna but this Talisman needs to go to someone and I have identified a unit who actually needs it. I'd rather Rinkah avoid magic enemies but she can't always do that...

Scarlet's not coming, she wouldn't earn much EXP and there's not really any room. I was hoping that Benching Subaki would free up room but he's forced deployment in this chapter and his daughter's going to take his empty slot. At least when I get Rhajat I can dump both Felicia and Hayato?

There are three little islands your units start deployed on, but for simplicity's sake I've paired up half my units so I only start on 2 of them. It'll be easier to manage chokepoints that way. Each island gets 1 healer, Felicia's taken up the club and won't be helping anyone anymore.

Showing up just after the map starts to prevent you from seeing her stats in the pre-battle deployment screen, here's Caeldori! She's inherited Duellist's Blow from her father and Magic + 2 from her mother. Her stats are a bit all over the place thanks to her mother being a slow magic user, but right now she's still pretty useable.

What's most important of all is that she starts with a Swordcatcher, a naginata effective against all types of swords. It is a very cool and powerful weapon and will allow her to make mincemeat of all the troublesome Heroes dotted about the map and maybe even one of the two Paladins. Starting with a non-iron weapon makes her somewhat unusual compared to the other kids, I wish they gave them more interesting starting inventories more often.

Caeldori might be half snail from her mother's side but thanks to her bases and Darting Blow she's fast enough to double and kill these Heroes almost exactly. That crit rate is a bit scary though!

In some games I think characters with enough support points to have unlocked a conversation effectively have that support even though the conversation hasn't been viewed yet, but I don't know if that's the case in Fates. If it is then Caeldori should be getting C level support bonuses from both of her parents already.

Felicia's support bonuses as a Hero are very handy, she gives a lot of defense and speed thanks to her class but also the magic she naturally gives. It's strange to see Hayato get one round KOs!

This part of the map is so much easier to manage with only one island to worry about, bunching up my units here means I only need to keep 2 chokepoints in mind instead of 4. Sadly I don't think it's possible to have everyone start on the same island if you're using all deployment slots available.

Mozu's quite unusually bulky, she'll only get bulkier when I reclass her to a Spear Fighter... 20 maps down the line because I keep not bringing Oboro.

My tougher units (and Mozu) have this much smaller island to hold down.

Without Darting Blow to help her, Caeldori needs a support partner to finish foes off for her on enemy phase. I'm interested to see how her stats will turn out with such an odd choice for a mother.

Rinkah's making absolute mincemeat of all these swordies with her Dual Club. I'd like Kaden to get EXP too but he's still a bit fragile.

I guess Rinkah was starting to feel a little slow. It's hard to notice with her strength being as blessed as is, but Rinkah's doing quite well on the magic front too.

Heroes naturally have high skill so my unpaired units are seeing a lot of 1 or 2% crit chances against them. I'm not too worried about a restart this early in the map, but I'll have to watch out when I'm baiting out the remaining enemies at the end...

The huge amount of EXP these promoted units give compared to anything else make unlocking paralogues very important for EXP gain if you're not grinding like I am. It's tough to decide whether I should give promoted unit kills to either my weak units who need EXP or my stronger units who struggle to gain EXP from any other source.

Assuming you're done listening to whatever Kevin MacLeod thing I listened to at the start of this update, you should totally click this screenshot to hear the map music. Conquest is one of my favourite songs from Awakening and it plays during all the Awakening-clone unit's paralogues. It makes me feel extremely nostalgic even though I don't really like Awakening and it only came out... 8 years ago?

...this is my cue to say OH NO I'M AGING but somehow 8 years for Awakening doesn't seem so bad? It does feel like a long time ago since it first came out.

This is unfortunately what happens when Orochi and a Sky Knight have a kid. Somehow on my first playthrough I didn't realise Caeldori was meant to be Cordelia at first despite knowing that Awakening-clones were a thing in Birthright, and hearing this music in her join chapter, and Subaki being an obvious homage to Cordelia already...

The enemies on the left will move unprovoked after a couple of turns, the ones on the right side of the map following them a few turns after. There's so few of them that you're not likely to get overwhelmed, this chapter is quite relaxing besides the occassional crit rate.

The Paladins do hurt a little. I can't wait for Kaden to get his Beastrune, he really needs just a little extra bulk.

Conquest is the perfect relaxing song to listen to while I peacefully farm all of this EXP. Kind of an unfitting name for such a nice song come to think of it.

Kaden's base strength growth is quite good but his class growth less so, they add up to 50%. So 2 in a row is quite lucky!

I guess Mozu's a magical tank now, that's cool. I could make her a Basara if I really wanted. It might be funny!

Hayato's now got more defense than magic, Kevin heals very accurately, Hinata's just a bit crap. I now want to see Kevin cap his skill before he promotes, if nothing else it's funny.

Hana's not faring much better, she's still below her averages and I think I've been neglecting her lately. She and Hinata spend all their time paired up so it might be time to start favouring one of them instead of the other...

Two 1 stat levels in a single map, how unfortunate. I can't complain about Azama though, he's otherwise been doing excellently.

Left side is done, now the rightmost units will trickle into my chokepoints. The mix of physical Mercs and magical Dark Mages is a little intimidating.

Hana noooo! You were my second best unit for a while...

I'd go for this without a second thought at the start of the map, now I'm not so sure. Missing an 88% is unlikely but not impossible.

Hayato can have it, he's bizarrely tanky and can handle being smacked around by the two Mercenaries this puts him in range of. I'm almost annoyed that he's doing better now, I wanted to bench him to make room!

All these 1 tile bridges make this a good map for the Illusory Yumi. 10 extra res is very nice!

Stop being good! I want to get rid of you!!! At least Rhajat will inherit these great levels.

Luring the boss can be a little tricky, his range overlaps that of 2 other powerful units and he doesn't like to move unless he can hit someone. Thankfully a potential dual attack lured him out...

...a completely pointless dual attack. Enemies thinking they can dual attack units in defensive formation is silly but it does make my life easier.

Magic tanking is supposed to be something Kaden's good at, but his Beaststone eats into his resistance. Plus he'll be attacked by a load of enemies if he stands here... I might have to retreat a little.

Kaze to the rescue. I'm so glad I promoted him, he's like a mini-jagen with the added bonus of debuffing everyone he hits!

He's not immortal though, even with WTA and super high res. Sorcerers are scary!

A weird level for Setsuna, and a very nice level for Kaden! He's not normally this good.

Dealing with the rest of the enemies is a matter of luring them with Kaze and piling on them with everyone else. I didn't have any better action screenshots to establish a bunch of combat was happening so here's Hinata dodging by balancing himself on the MISS!! text.

Kevin will hit his skill cap at 23... That's 3 more oppurtunities to hit skill once on a 55% growth, I believe in him!!!

Not much to this chapter, or any of the other Hoshidan paralogues really. They're mostly going to consist of level up screens.

Caeldori your father gained strength twice across like 8 levels, the bar you have to cross is so low it's beneath the ground.

Next time: The tragic deaths(?) of Charlotte and Benny

theshim
May 1, 2012

Caeldori (a dumb name) usually blows her father out of the water in basically every way, but with Orochi as a mom she's going to be really weird. I'm still kinda baffled at the design choice to include Awakening expys as child units on Birthright, it's just weird to me.

Unrelated, but I don't like the track Conquest, especially the part where it transitions into the main Fire Emblem theme.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Caeldori is one of the few kids I go for in every run, if only for the free Swordbreaker. Plus fliers are probably at their best in this route, kinshis are broken and I have had runs where my offense was primarily Hinoka, Subaki, Reina, Setsuna and Caeldori. All on birds.

Also I just realized I have never made Azama a flier. I need to fix that.

Edit: Also Oboro's hair on Rjajat is good, and she turns out to be a competent Basara. Also you can stack 3 decent seal skills on her for magical ranged defuffing.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 29, 2021

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
If I recall, the lore reasoning for the Awakening 1st gen expies being BR children was "reincarnation for a second chance at life with less tragedy" or something...

Make of that what you will.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Rhajat specifically is implied to be a pre-incarnation, given that on her death she says "I see... a desert... where we meet again" or something to that effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, that one free(?) DLC chapter definitely implies that Fates came before Awakening, sometimes shallow fan service is just shallow fanservice.