Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I mean it's not like Fates isn't tortuously attached to Awakening for incredibly flimsy reasons or anything....

Honestly, it's a miracle that it tries to iterate on the base Fire Emblem formula at all, never mind to the degree it actually did so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

I'm having some really bad lottery luck this playthrough, all I'm getting is the same two minerals over and over. If I had the money I'd forge a naginata for Mozu...

It's okay, I'll just build a new lottery! This one will be better and give me cooler prizes, I think. I'm not actually sure what upgrading it does...

At least this is new. Amber is used to forge scrolls, something that might come in handy soon.

Would a green dress match blue hair? I know very little about fashion but I know "blue and green must never be seen" is or at least was a popular saying. Fashion is complicated and scary, I don't know how anyone has the confidence to wear anything.

Oops, I was wrong about children starting with C rank at the lowest, I was thinking of Awakening... So nobody can use this Bolt Naginata. I guess I'll just have to train Caeldori up next chapter, this isn't worth wasting an Arms Scroll on.

Caeldori meets her absent parents, Kaze/Mozu and Hana/Hinata hit their A support, and I get one accidental C between Hayato and Orochi.

And Setsuna and Azama hit their S support. Setsuna's too dumb to realise Azama's a jerk, Azama doesn't feel the need to annoy or belittle Setsuna because there's no point, it's a match made in heaven??? This support is somehow more sweet than it should be.

Mitama might be my favourite Birthright kid in terms of personality, but she's probably one of if not the worst as an actual unit and having Setsuna as her mum does not help. I'll swing by and do her paralogue for EXP eventually, but I'm not in any hurry to put her on my team...

...also her paralogue is one of the scariest in Birthright and I don't wanna do it : (

No unit stats this time. Instead here's a lame "I don't really know what to say about this person" analysis for Caeldori. I won't be giving the kids "proper" analyses since I'm not too familiar with them, but at the very least I'll show their growths and try my best to say something insightful about them.

Caeldori
Sky Knight (HS: Samurai (Subaki), Diviner (Orochi))
A+ Support Partners: Mitama (Shrine Maiden), Rhajat (Diviner), Kana (Variable)
Personal Skill: Progidy (If WHICHEVER IS HIGHER of unit's str/mag < WHICHEVER IS HIGHER of enemy's str/mag, unit deals 4 more damage in combat. In caps because how this skill works isn't clear and a lot of people get this wrong!!!)
Pair-up Stats (C B A S): Def Skl Def Mag+Res
Growths (With Default Class) [Base]:
HP: 45% (45) [55]
STR: 20% (30) [35]
MAG: 40% (40) [15]
SKL: 45% (55) [40]
SPD: 27.5% (42.5) [40]
LCK: 40% (60) [45]
DEF: 30% (30) [35]
RES: 32.5% (52.5) [20]

One look at Caeldori's growths should probably tell you that Orochi is a bit of a weird mother for her to have. Normally Caeldori's somewhat of a watered-down Subaki - still bulky and physically defensive, but a little bit faster and stronger in exchange for less extreme stats. In practice she still tends to be fast and fragile due to the nature of her class and the influence of her mother, but a theoretical motherless Caeldori would be quite similar to her father in terms of stats.

The interesting thing about Caeldori is her amazing personal skill, Progidy. +4 damage is a very strong bonus and it lets Caeldori pick classes with poor offense like Kinshi Knight without having to worry about poor offensive stats dragging her down. Mothers like Setsuna or Rinkah with bad strength and magic growths aren't nearly as bad for her as they can be for other units. Setsuna especially is great for Caeldori, it allows her to get Quick Draw if she promotes into a Kinshi Knight, giving her a damage boost that doesn't interfere with Progidy by raising her strength. This doesn't mean you should deliberately sabotage Caeldori's offenses though, Progidy is not always reliable and sometimes it's better just to have good offensive stats instead.

Otherwise she's another Sky Knight in a route with lots of Sky Knights. Either promotion can take advantage of Progidy, Kinshi Knight with its poor strength and Falcon Knight with the Bolt Naginata. I'm going Falcon Knight just because Orochi is her mother, it would be a waste not to take advantage of that 40% natural magic growth. She's probably fine as a Priestess or a Basara if you support her with Mitama or Rhajat, and the class she gets from Kana can be almost anything. Incidentally Caeldori does not get to inherit the Wyvern Rider class if Jakob is her father unlike Shigure does, she just gets Subaki's Samurai class.

Oh and it is possible for Selena/Severa to be Caeldori's mother in Rev. Yeah.

midnight lasagna fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 29, 2021

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

midnight lasagna posted:

Incidentally Caeldori does not get to inherit the Wyvern Rider class if Jakob is her mother unlike Shigure does, she just gets Subaki's Samurai class.

I'm not entirely sure how you'd accomplish this, since I'm pretty sure male units can't be mothers, but good to know, I guess...?

quote:

Oh and it is possible for Selena/Severa to be Caeldori's mother in Rev. Yeah.

Not only can she do it, she has entirely unique support conversations if she is. They're actually nice, I went for it in Revelations since I wanted to see what the game would do there.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm not entirely sure how you'd accomplish this, since I'm pretty sure male units can't be mothers, but good to know, I guess...?

Someone hasn't heard of the gay Fates patch.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

I'm pretty sure it's nowhere near optimal -even when I was doing spreadsheets I never spent much time considering what the actual better alternatives might be for her- but turning Severa's life into a horrible Ouroboros of mommy issues is too funny not to go for on Rev any time I'm either being a completionist or giving Subaki one more chance to let me down.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Shiny777 posted:

I'm pretty sure it's nowhere near optimal -even when I was doing spreadsheets I never spent much time considering what the actual better alternatives might be for her- but turning Severa's life into a horrible Ouroboros of mommy issues is too funny not to go for on Rev any time I'm either being a completionist or giving Subaki one more chance to let me down.
the fact that this is possible is hilarious to me

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Selena being Caeldori's mother is the only good thing in Revelation.

Caeldori is a decent unit in a great class, but she's hampered by how common that class type is in Birthright. She's usually your 4th best flier to start, and she might aspire to being the second best by endgame.

Ventadour
Feb 17, 2012

Such is the way of things, I fear. I shall consider it a miracle if mine armor is not stained crimson ere this conflict is ended.
I've found Caeldori is nicely suited for Swordmaster, myself - my first playthrough of Revelations I had Hana as her mom (but actually I was passing down Luna from an Effie A+ support - I grinded a lot that time), currently I'm playing with the gay hack with Laslow as her other parent. Both times I had a very balanced, surprisingly sturdy counter to Berserkers. Certainly better than any of the units who start in Samurai and aren't Ryouma.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I’m very sorry to have missed the Conquest LP and will be very interested in this one.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

theshim posted:

Caeldori (a dumb name) usually blows her father out of the water in basically every way, but with Orochi as a mom she's going to be really weird. I'm still kinda baffled at the design choice to include Awakening expys as child units on Birthright, it's just weird to me.

Unrelated, but I don't like the track Conquest, especially the part where it transitions into the main Fire Emblem theme.
"Awakening sold well so we need to make more" seems to be the reasoning behind a lot of the weird decisions in Fates. I think the 3 first gen units (minus Chrom) that got remade as kids in this game were all the ones that won the poll for the beach DLC in Awakening? I think I like Caeldori more than I do Cordelia, Rhajat I'm neutral on, but Asugi feels like a waste of what could have been an interesting parent-child dynamic.

Shiny777 posted:

It is very funny, and from what I remember their A support is surprisingly sweet? Seems like Selena and Caeldori have very similar growths so pairing her and Subaki just gets you what is fairly close to a parentless Caeldori in terms of stats.

Ventadour posted:

I've found Caeldori is nicely suited for Swordmaster, myself - my first playthrough of Revelations I had Hana as her mom (but actually I was passing down Luna from an Effie A+ support - I grinded a lot that time), currently I'm playing with the gay hack with Laslow as her other parent. Both times I had a very balanced, surprisingly sturdy counter to Berserkers. Certainly better than any of the units who start in Samurai and aren't Ryouma.
That makes sense, Caeldori's pretty lucky and pretty bulky, although I'm surprised Hana didn't cancel out both her good bulk and her luck. I've never tried the gay patch but the spreadsheet addict within me is intrigued...

Zoran posted:

I’m very sorry to have missed the Conquest LP and will be very interested in this one.
Thank you! I may have linked to at least 2 of your videos to explain things I couldn't in my Conquest LP, they're really good.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

This is another chapter named after the lyrics of Ocean's Grey Waves so you know it's going to be an important one. Time to go invade Nohr I guess?

Welcome to Fire Emblem: Awakening's barracks! I don't think this actually the same background but it's what comes to mind when I see it. I would like to pick up some glass weapons in a random event please.

Turns out Cheve already has some existing ties with Hoshido, and Scarlet herself was related to one of the king's servants. I don't really like this reveal but I'm not sure why exactly I don't.

Anyway, the enemy has us surrounded and outnumbered and our plan is to... leave the already outnumbered resistance forces behind and charge straight into Nohrian territory to assault Garon head on, a situation in which we will face even more enemies with even less allies to back us up? Maybe finding Ryoma was a bad idea, his plans don't make a lot of sense.

Scarlet's cool though, shame she's not plot relevant past this one cutscene. She really deserved to be an actual character with real supports. She doesn't even get to support Ryoma!

Great plan, Ryoma.

Oops I'm sorry for all those plot screenshots in a row. Here's some gameplay! This chapter is a defeat boss objective in a big open field full of symmetrical formations of enemies. We really did stumble into Awakening...

This map is a slight jump in difficulty from previous maps, but it's not one that will last. The Cavaliers and Paladins move far and hit hard, and the lack of terrain makes it difficult to hide your squishier units. Not all the formations will aggro at once, but even small groups of enemies can potentially be difficult to deal with, especially as it helps to split your army to prevent yourself from being overwhelmed. Of course Ryoma can cheese all of this easily but I'm not allowed to use him! He would also earn like 1 EXP per kill, he's really overlevelled.

Strategist isn't a gender locked class but the boss of this map is a highly rare Generic Woman character. I love Daniela's portrait and Strategist is a cool class, and as far as capturable enemies go you could definitely do worse. She's bulky, her offenses are pretty good, and Savage Blow is a cool skill you're otherwise only getting if you reclass Scarlet. As an actual boss she's not at all threatening though, just attack her with shurikens and she'll go down easy.

The entirity of this map's upper half will be empty until there are 10 or less enemies on the field, at which point a load of reinforcements will instantly teleport in. If you're routing the map like I am this gimmick is just "oops here's a bunch of enemies that weren't here on the prep screen", but I guess if you're trying to rush the boss as fast as possible you could take advantage of this? Leave as many of the outside enemies alive as possible and rush through the fort while it's undefended...

Various 4-strong formations of mounted units are scattered around outside, some with swords and some with lances. From turn 2 onward one set on either side will begin moving unprovoked each turn. Throwing Ryoma at the Paladins and having your weaker units pick up the scraps is the easiest way to do this, otherwise pay attention to what weapons they're using and respond with the appropriate X-Ruin weapon. Scarlet and Reina are both great for this, Rinkah can work well if she's trained too. Kaden can tear through Cavaliers but they'll also tear through him, he'll need a defensive pairing and tonics if he wants to take on more than a couple of enemies at a time.

Benny and Charlotte are also here, and they're both paired up with one another. They have the exact same join stats they do in Conquest besides 5 extra HP on Lunatic, and they're both... not very intimidating. They don't even move! I guess Benny can stick you with his Beast Killer and throw a Javelin at you...

...but Charlotte is just there to advertise Conquest. I guess if you dangle a female unit in her face they might have a chance at being crit to death thanks to Charlotte's Unmask personal skill, but it would be 100% your own fault if that happened.

It's gonna be tough without Ryoma, but I'll manage! I'll be splitting my army to prevent my more fragile units from getting trapped between 2 oncoming groups of high move enemies. Once again I don't have room for Oboro. Will Mozu ever get to be a Spear Fighter? At least Felicia and Hayato should be S supporting this chapter, if Felicia gets Sol I can get rid of them both.

Time for Kevin to fulfill the most noble purpose of all - helping someone cooler than him be better. Scarlet benefits from none of these stat boosts right now, but as soon as the two of them unlock a C support she'll be getting the benefits from his Supportive skill. I should probably promote Kevin so he gives better boosts but at the same time I want to see if he can cap skill first...

These Outlaws aren't very threatening, but getting rid of them now will stop them from annoying me later. Most of the other enemies here only attack at 1 range.

And the one on the other side for good measure. Kaze gets a decent amount of EXP for this on account of his internal level being lower, but Scarlet only got a single point.

Neat. He still can't use the Steel Yumi I've got going spare, but I think I have some iron ones...

Rinkah will tank the lance users on the right. I think Scarlet has the Pike-Ruin club but that's okay, if Rinkah doesn't kill them then that's more EXP for other people.

Orochi will tank a couple of hits on the left with her Horse Spirit. The Paladin in the closest group has a Javelin which makes them a little annoying...

...I really should memorise the WTA formula for this game. I don't like that it changes with weapon rank! I prefer it when it's just a simple and consistent +1 damage and +10 hit or whatever.

Hinata will tank them with a Dual Katana instead. He's bulky but he won't hit all that hard...

Rinkah's in no danger, although maybe I should have given her a better weapon. As strength blessed as she is her damage output still isn't all that good, Kaden doesn't boost her strength and clubs are quite weak.

Oops, seems like I put Rinkah in range of a Paladin I didn't spot before. Thankfully he aggro'd separately from the rest of his group who have not moved.

Scarlet almost one-shots him but can't quite make the numbers or double... A Butler Kevin would have boosted her speed I think?

I'm sure with just a few boosters Kaden could tear this map apart. Maybe I should have given him some... He's very blessed in strength, but I can't remember if he's levelled up in defense more than once.

Kaze and Mozu enter combat paired up and manage to level up at the exact same time. A little disappointing from Mozu, but I suppose she does need strength...

Rinkah and Scarlet are bulky enough to be self-sufficient, but the rest of my army have to bunch up to kill enemies together before they're overwhelmed. Some of them are more capable than others...

I might have perhaps failed to consider how I'm actually going to get Felicia the levels she needs... She is a bit weak and being stuck with brass equipment certainly doesn't help. I'm sure Hero Felicia would have been quite good in like Chapter 7 but her class bases can't make up for her terrible physical stats here.

Caeldori steals a kill to boost her lance rank and gets a level the same time as Setsuna, skillfully avoiding all the useful stats. She's still better than an RNG-screwed Subaki but I don't think she's going to be very good...

Yet another Nohrian carrying a Hoshidan weapon for me to take from their corpse. Silver weapons aren't useless, but the debuffs they give make them hard to use and high level forges outclass them entirely. I don't have anybody with the lance rank to use this so I'm just going to sell it to buy a Heart Seal for Scarlet.

HP! That's rare. Keep in mind that Rinkah's had a robe used on her, so over 14 levels she has only gained... 3 points of HP. Oh dear.

This map starts to get tricky when the range of enemies starts overlapping. Isolated groups are fairly easy to take down, but when going on the offensive starts putting you in range of other enemies things get tricky.

Azama is good as always, but Hana's poor speed is really starting to concern me. She can only rely on Hinata's support bonuses for so long...

Minor frustrations aside, it's fun to have to use my whole squad and not just lobster everything to death. Maybe if Hana doesn't work out as a combat unit I could glue her to Setsuna for supports... Kinshi Setsuna with Darting Blow could be fun.

Come to think of it, the Pike-Ruin club is basically a Hammer. It's big and it's bludgeon-y. I wonder if there's any practical reasoning for why a weapon of this shape would do well against lances...

This game has a special track it plays whenever one of your units is facing combat that could kill them, but the game seems bad at determining when it should play sometimes. It's playing here but Hana's perfectly safe. I guess it might not be taking into account Hinata blocking the enemy's dual attack, but sometimes it plays even when the enemy is in a defensive formation.

Benny has a droppable Beast Killer which I really wish I had right about now. These Paladins are tanky and this group's only way of dealing with them quickly relies on them having a sword equipped so the Swordcatcher can take them out. Kaze's good at weakening them with Poison Strike but his attacks don't deal much damage themselves...

Oooooh no I was relying on that second hit connecting! Now I've got a Paladin free to attack my squishy units on enemy phase. I think everyone's at near full HP?

Okay good he just wants to bully Felicia. I thought he might have been able to one-shot Hana but it seems not!

Scarlet might not have good 1-2 range but otherwise she's basically Ryoma right now. I love the Wakizashi in this game, it's such a silly concept. A 2 range sword specifically designed for throwing that you can't use to hit someone with for some reason...

Scarlet's been tearing poo poo up on her own but the rest of my units have been forced to retreat, and I'm rapidly running out of retreating room. My best units are just a bit too far away from their attackers to go on the offensive this turn...

Scarlet uses Lunge to drag an enemy away to give me more breathing room. It's not a perfect escape, but it'll do...

Sometimes I forget that being promoted does not make Kaze invincible. I've had my share of close calls with him.

Felicia gets a surprisingly good level and the mostly useless Good Fortune skill. Her luck's high enough for it not to be worthless, but Rhajat wouldn't want to inherit it.

Kaden still hasn't missed a single strength proc. He could cap it before promotion, but that would require him to get it on every single level... Can it be done?

The last few enemies get cleaned up and suddenly there's an army that wasn't there before. This Berserker drops a Bolt Axe and has absolutely no magic at all. Not letting him spawn in would be one drawback to doing this chapter as fast as possible!

This fort has even more tough enemies to fight, although the promoted ones are easily baited out and isolated. The Heroes aren't as scary as the ones I fought in Caeldori's paralogue.

Kevin's still a healer even if he's now serving double duty as a fashion accessory for Scarlet. I do miss Felicia's healing a little bit, it's not as if her combat is making up for not having a third healer.

Benny and friends won't move, so only the Bolt Axe Berserker can reach your units from right outside the fort. He might catch you by surprise but with literally no magic he's not very tough.

A wizard he is not. Nice to see Orochi get even more defense, even if Hayato's now got her beaten on that front.

These guys will happily stand still and let you dismantle them from afar. Benny's personal skill will lower the avoid of units within 2 tiles of him so his presence is a mild annoyance...

There's only one magical axe stronger than the Bolt Axe... The Frost Club! Bonk.

Unfortuately Felicia doesn't have the rank to use this and she's never going to have it. I'll give it to Rinkah for now, but my endgame plan is to have Malig Knight Scarlet use it.

Nothing personal? But it was the guys behind you who teleported in, not you...

Oh right, Benny can throw things. He's still kind of strong! If this were Conquest he'd have Wary Fighter and Countermagic and probably a Steel Javelin or some enemy-exclusive weapon to ruin your day.

Hayato and Benny can support one another in Revelation, but in this world no such co-operation can exist.

yoink

Charlotte can't hit anything, but she might be able to crit one of your girls thanks to the combination of Gamble and Unmask. Lots of 20s on this forecast screen...

0 is a much more comfortable hit rate for me to face. This is what it feels like fighting Hana in Conquest's Chapter 22!

She really is, she never gets speed! Also she got 2 EXP from this combat lol. Charlotte is super underlevelled!

Now for one big gauntlet of unpromoted guys. This entryway is thin enough that they keep Three Stooges-ing themselves and can't all attack at once, so it's not as scary as it looks.

Lots of strength for my magical units. Azama's levelling up quite fast now that he's my primary healer.

Inside the fort are 3 different dragon veins that deal 10 damage to every enemy inside. There's basically no reason not to use them, they can't hurt you and they're very easily accessible.

Okay there's one reason not to use them and that is to make sure your units don't OHKO everything and build guard gauge half as fast. Thankfully an Outlaw stood in front of Orochi to shoot Hana.

Quick Riposte! I could leave it here and have Rhajat inherit this probably better skill, but part of me still wants to grab one more level for Felicia so she can get Sol.

I just noticed that Felicia's gloves appear to be missing and it's really distracting. Battle damage is a thing in this game, although it mostly exists in the form of hats flying off whenever you hit someone. How did this even happen?

The combination of all 3 veins leaves most enemies with only a few hitpoints left. It's a fairly straightforward path to the boss who will most likely die in a single hit, but these weakened Generals and Berserkers look like sweet EXP...

I shall bait enemies from all sides with maximum efficiency. They'll all die to a single attack so I don't have to worry about being overwhelmed.

Hmm, for how much I claim to love the mechanics of Fates I am really bad at remembering that dual strikes are a thing. Good thing Setsuna had that Dracoshield!

Oh, I guess you have to be able to damage a General in order to finish them off. I haven't talked about it yet, but Hinata's Triple Threat personal skill deals some of the damage from sword/lance/axe hits back to his attacker. It's midly helpful, but I never remember it exists so I always mash start to skip combat before I can take a screenshot of it in action.

Setsuna's back on the strength train while Kevin betrays me by not capping his skill. How's he going to hit all those heals now???

Oh right, I have a tool for defeating these guys. With how good the Hammer is I sometimes forget this alternative exists.

There's those Orochi genes in action. Magic will be nice as soon as Caeldori's capable of using the Bolt Naginata...

It's really hard to set up kills for Felicia sometimes. At least she can take a hit with her dual guard and then finish him off?

Quick Riposte in action!!! I'm glad to finally be done with her.

Nothing left but the last few drops of EXP now. Hana's speed is really starting to worry me...

I might have to replace her with her son, the pickle man. Hinata's kid is boring and lame but with Hana as a mother he'd at least be okay.

Daniela doesn't even get to have a fort to sit on to restore her lost HP. Caeldori's stats are so all over the place, it'll be interesting to see what they look like at the end of the game.

That's it! Lots of units almost but not quite at level 20, Caeldori and Mozu are still stuck at D lances, but at least I am now done with Hayato and Felicia. Hayato's not so bad and Felicia would be good as a Maid but I do want to free up space in my army.

Ryoma's the main character now, we're just following him. I think he makes all these stupid plans knowing that he's basically immortal in combat...

Oh and Azura is melting but don't worry about it. I'm sure she'll be fine!

Next time: Rhajat's paralogue, maybe.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
This map is so weird. The first half is this huge open area where you're constantly trying to keep nasty paladins from clobbering your squishies, and then the second half is a ton of free exp and a bolt axe.

Fun fact: if you don't do any kid chapters, Daniela is the only non-generic you can capture in Birthright. She's...not very good. 14 magic at level 6 promoted means she's never going to hit anything worth a drat, and Savage Blow exists, I guess, but she's not going to do anything relevant with it. The most interesting thing about her is her weirdly high HP.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

midnight lasagna posted:

Anyway, the enemy has us surrounded and outnumbered and our plan is to... leave the already outnumbered resistance forces behind and charge straight into Nohrian territory to assault Garon head on, a situation in which we will face even more enemies with even less allies to back us up? Maybe finding Ryoma was a bad idea, his plans don't make a lot of sense.
Ryoma's plans are all made on the assumption that everyone else is as capable as he is. "What do you mean you can't solo the enemy army? They've only got like a 3% hit rate, don't be such a baby."

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
If you make Daniela a Dark Flier, she has a flying Valkyrie Horse. It's funny.

Also yeah, the barracks are the Awakening barracks. You can see the ridiculous Awakening armor.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

midnight lasagna posted:

Felicia is fired from being my assistant for illegally trying to boost her own stats.

This came up in the Conquest LP too. I guess I should tell you, belatedly, that you can access the castle menu without talking to your assistant by pressing Start?

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Even if you can repeatedly try to cook Mess Hall meals over and over until you get the desired effects you want, I still don't like using it until I've got the level 3 version that gives the bonuses to all of your units instead of just half. I don't want to cook 500 fish dinners in a row until Orochi finally decides she's hungry!

1000 gold for the Silver Naginata... That's just about about to let me buy a Heart Seal, but I wanted more. Maybe this is a sign I should hold onto it instead but nah, I want that Heart Seal now.

Oops, it seems like I'm also very short on healing rods. For all the free ones this game gives you I seem to burn through them very fast, maybe I shouldn't have been healing every single 1 HP injury for EXP? Rhajat's paralogue doesn't give any money rewards either so this might become an issue.

Unfortunately I am committed to reclassing Scarlet for skills so I guess I'll just have to go without. Scarlet's got an interesting class set, Wyvern Lord or Malig Knight are both great classes for her to stay in but there's a few other classes she can shop around for skills in. My plan for her is to go Malig Knight after she's grabbed a few things. Not counting the level 15 promoted skills she's unlikely to get before Endgame without grinding, she's got Defense + 2, Natural Cover, Wary Fighter, Luna, Locktouch, Movement + 1, Rally Skill, Lucky Seven, Rally Defense, and Savage Blow, and then Strength + 2 and Lunge which she starts with. That's quite a lot!

For the sake of not wasting too many seals I'm just going to have her grab the skills from Adventurer before she ends up in Malig Knight. This is absolutely a downgrade for my wyvern-riding juggernaut, but it's only going to be a temporary one. Kaze is currently my only team member capable of opening chests, he needs a partner in crime.

Scarlet and Kevin C, Rinkah and Kaden B. I hope Scarlet's not trying to mine for rare ores by shooting arrows at breakable rocks, that's wasteful!

Caeldori's B support with her mother always contains a unique expression of indignation that changes depending on who her mother is. Figgleworts...

Oh and these two are married I guess. Some of these S supports are awkward to read.

However, given my current money situation, I might have to put off Rhajat's paralogue for a single chapter. I really don't want to do two chapters in a row with only a few healing rods, and she'll join at a higher level if I leave it anyway.

Child unit stats in this game are entirely deterministic in this game - each child has their own base stats, they inherit some stat boosts from their parents, and then if they join at a higher level than 10 then they'll be autolevelled up with their average stats. So kids are immune to being RNG screwed until you recruit them. This means I can work out what stat boosts Rhajat has inherited from her parents by working out her normal average stats at level 15 and then subtracting them from her actual stats. They are...

HP + 0
STR + 2
MAG + 0
SKL + 2
SPD + 1
LCK + 2
DEF + 1
RES + 0

That's under the assumption that this game always rounds down when working out a child's stats from their averages anyway. Rhajat's 8 skill makes me think I should just be boring and have her inherit Quick Riposte instead of Sol, an 8% activation rate isn't very reliable.

Rhajat's stats don't matter right now though, I'm off to Wolfskin Peak to steal all their gold. A task I'm sure would be easier had I not reclassed my Wyvern Lord with enough lance rank to wield a Beast Killer into an Adventurer...

Hinata
Samurai (HS: Oni Savage)
A+ Support Partners: Takumi (Archer), Kaden (Diviner), Subaki (Sky Knight)
Personal Skill: Triple Threat (When user is under half HP, half the damage received from swords lances or axes is dealt back to the enemy)
Pair-Up Stats (C B A S): Def Str Def Str+Lck
Growths (With Default Class):
HP: 55% (65)
STR: 35% (45)
MAG: 0% (0)
SKL: 25% (40)
SPD: 15% (35)
LCK: 45% (60)
DEF: 45% (45)
RES: 15% (25)

Hinata is forgettable. He's got okay bases but pretty poor growths, he's yet another Samurai, and personality wise he doesn't really stand out either. His strange growth distribution would be more interesting if his growths weren't so low...

Hinata is another Subaki in that his growths don't really match his class at all. Just like Subaki he's very slow with good HP and physical bulk, although he's also a bit stronger and luckier in exchange for having much worse skill and no magic at all. His base stats are actually quite solid, he's fast and decently powerful with good physical bulk for a Samurai too. Unfortunately with growths like his he's unlikely to get much better, and his join time invites unfavourable comparisons to Oboro who's got equally good bases and better growths in nearly every stat. He starts out a little faster than she is, but don't expect that to last.

Much like Subaki, with Hinata you can either keep him in his base class to keep his stats fairly average and give him just enough speed to double semi-consistently, or you can reclass him to take full advantage of his physical bulk. A level 10 Oni Savage Hinata will have 27 HP and 16 defense, and with a 75% and 65% growth in each respectively he'll only get bulkier, and even his 11 speed base will be okay for a while until his 25% speed growth catches up with him. Hinata's a unit fairly suited to early promotion thanks to his good bases and poor growths - promoting a unit early means you're sacrificing long term viability for short term gains, and Hinata's not someone who's going to be useful in the long term anyway. His son has the same class as him and will most likely have better growths too, replacing Hinata will be easy so long as you can S support him with someone.

As a Swordmaster Hinata shouldn't have too much trouble doubling his foes, especially with the speed boost he gets from using katanas. He'll be fairly middling in all of his stats though, even his naturally high bulk will suffer under Swordmaster's bases, and his speed will never be good, just passable. As a Master-of-Arms he'll trade speed for power and bulk, although if you're going to be doing that I personally would go all out on making him an Oni Chieftain. Oni Chief Hinata will have to suffer through his poor axe rank for a while, his bulk will be unmatched and he'll have a fairly good shot at capping his defense at 38 if he can reach 20/20. Blacksmith Hinata functions pretty much the same as Master of Arms but without a lance rank, their stats are very similar.

Otherwise Hinata is kind of just a guy who's there. Go all out on making him a tank as an Oni or promote him early and then have him be a stat backpack for someone else as soon as he stops being good, otherwise he's not much more than mediocre deployment slot filler. At least he's better than in Heroes where he's just a guy you grind into paste for Fury 3!

Triple Threat requires you to take large amounts of damage from close range to be useful, it's sometimes handy but not reliable. Archer and Quick Draw can help make Hinata's offenses a little better but doesn't really syngerise with his stats, Diviner is not suited to Hinata at all, and Sky Knight just makes him Subaki but worse. He's already got all the classes he needs imo, he doesn't gain much from S or A+ supporting others in that regard.

Pros
  • Pretty decent base stats and a good starting sword rank of C, fast enough to double a few enemies at base while being decently strong and bulky
  • Will be one of your most physically tanky units as an Oni Savage, even at base
  • Can be promoted early for decent effect (although I suppose this applies to everyone who joins at 10 or over..
Cons
  • Underwhelming and lopsided growths, needs to be reclassed to take advantage of his good defense and will fail to double anything without help from Samurai's speed
  • Terrible resistance undercuts his great physical bulk
  • Quite weak offensively, will struggle to do meaningful damage to enemies he cannot double

My Rating: They should have made him an Oni by default...

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly, seeing the Birthright's units growths, I'm wondering why they suck so bad? Like, is it just me or do the Birthright non-royals suck a LOT harder than the Conquest ones? I'm seeing a lot more characters who make me go 'euuuuuuuuuugghhhh' when I see their growths. Or their bases, in the case of people like Hayate.

Azama is a standout. I do appreciate seeing what a non-Heart Sealed Azama looks like, where from his stats it's clear he's just loving waiting to start using weapons and murdering poo poo. I turned him into an Apothecary asap, so my experience was of devastating arrows to the face and then becoming an utter meatwall tank via Mechanist.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

midnight lasagna posted:

Oh and these two are married I guess. Some of these S supports are awkward to read.

"Stop treating me like a child even though I kind of am! Btw, wanna gently caress?" is one of the character archetypes I despise the most in Fire Emblem.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I think the single most damning thing about your writeup of Hinata is

midnight lasagna posted:

and Sky Knight just makes him Subaki but worse.
Which is impressive, because Subaki is awful enough as is. Hinata can be decently physically bulky but he brings nothing else to the table and is just generally bad in an uninteresting way.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Your Hana is so slooow. It's weird.

For me she's always got so much speed I can make up for her damage with Steel Katanas and the Heavy Blade scroll and still double everything.

Rhajat looks weird with Felicia's hair color.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Birthright really feels like they handed a bunch of the mechanical character design over to the same person responsible for the Dawn Brigade in 10 and then didn't really account for that at all. Same issue where a bunch of the characters have growth spreads that fit another class better, but with way less reason to bother trying to make any of those work under normal circumstances.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's not just that, it's that the growth totals on some of these characters is ridiculously low.

Like, let's compare Hinata to Selena since they're sort of counterparts.

Selena

HP: 40% (50)
STR: 30% (45)
MAG: 5% (5)
SKL: 25% (45)
SPD: 45% (60)
LCK: 30% (35)
DEF: 45% (55)
RES: 30% (35)

Personal total: 250%

Hinata

HP: 55% (65)
STR: 35% (45)
MAG: 0% (0)
SKL: 25% (40)
SPD: 15% (35)
LCK: 45% (60)
DEF: 45% (45)
RES: 15% (25)

Personal total: 235%

Shamelessly copy-pasted from Midnight Lasagna's analyses.

That was less of a difference than I thought it was in the totals.... I guess a lot of it is that my eyes are sort of glued to the Str/Spd/Def trifecta, where 5% strength in no way compensates enough for -30% speed for Hinata.

The Birthright non-royals just still feel kind of bad in general and just all over the place. Like with Azama coming in with a 310% growth total with Setsuna the other retainer having 220%.

I dunno, I still find the Birthright character design to be very confused in general. And very consistently lower in growths than Conquest. Like weird-growth Beruka still beats out weird-growth Subaki for another example.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The game would be better if the royals were all axed and their growths distributed among the remaining characters.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Faillen Angel posted:

If you make Daniela a Dark Flier, she has a flying Valkyrie Horse. It's funny.

Also yeah, the barracks are the Awakening barracks. You can see the ridiculous Awakening armor.
Oh, so I didn't imagine that... I should have borrowed some of Awakening's toilet bowl armour to have the royals wear as a mark of shame on the bench.

Zoran posted:

This came up in the Conquest LP too. I guess I should tell you, belatedly, that you can access the castle menu without talking to your assistant by pressing Start?
Oops! Well I guess I know that now. It'll come in handy for the Rev LP that I really hope I have the self control to not do.

Keldulas posted:

Honestly, seeing the Birthright's units growths, I'm wondering why they suck so bad? Like, is it just me or do the Birthright non-royals suck a LOT harder than the Conquest ones? I'm seeing a lot more characters who make me go 'euuuuuuuuuugghhhh' when I see their growths. Or their bases, in the case of people like Hayate.

Azama is a standout. I do appreciate seeing what a non-Heart Sealed Azama looks like, where from his stats it's clear he's just loving waiting to start using weapons and murdering poo poo. I turned him into an Apothecary asap, so my experience was of devastating arrows to the face and then becoming an utter meatwall tank via Mechanist.
My guess is that it's a mix of IS overestimating the usefulness of some of the weirder unit's stat spreads and this route not being as thoroughly playtested as Conquest, but I can't know for sure they the devs did what they did. The terrible bases make me think they assumed players would grind their weaker units up... I won't say I'm particularly qualified for it or anything but it's fun to think about how I'd buff some of the worse units in this game.

Weeble posted:

Your Hana is so slooow. It's weird.

For me she's always got so much speed I can make up for her damage with Steel Katanas and the Heavy Blade scroll and still double everything.

Rhajat looks weird with Felicia's hair color.
I guess I'm just doomed to have terrible luck with Hana, her initial stat gains were a ploy to trick me into thinking things would be different.

The pink does mess with her gloomy aesthetic somewhat... I guess she'll just have to be a pastel goth in this world. I'd believe she dyes her hair black in Awakening.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

In Conquest we killed a bunch of Kitsune, now it's time to do the same to the Wolfskin? Birthright's Corrin has no concept of mercy so at least this time it won't be a unique tragedy.

"Garou" is an archaic French word for "werewolf", although googling it just got me a load of wiki entries on a guy from One Punch Man. I wonder what could be on Garou Peak? Obviously it's going to be nothing because werewolves aren't real.

Oh there's one. It's okay though, he's smiling! And he has bones for us! I hope Keaton doesn't remember me benching him in Conquest.

Unlike Kaden in Conquest, this guy is more willing to believe us... Presumably we've got less of an army so we're less credible a threat? Or maybe the Kitsune's cunning, trickster-y nature also makes them more paranoid. Keaton did claim to be an excellent judge of character in Conquest, maybe he can see that just this once we're not here to murder everyone.

Unfortunately someone summons some evil fart gas out of nowhere and explodes one of the Wolfskin, completelely ruining our attempt to appear harmless. I wonder who could have done such a thing... Actually, considering how much plot I've skipped you probably wouldn't know. I hope nobody is following this trying to work out the plot from the couple of screenshots I post each chapter. Or maybe it's better that way...

Anyway, big wolf chapter. Normally I prefer Conquest's map design, but considering how awful the Kitsune Lair was this version feels much nicer, and also wouldn't feel too out of place in Conquest's campaign? At least on Normal mode. The enemies have a decent number of off-class skills and it can be fairly tricky...

Unfortunately I have lost as many deployment slots as I have gained by benching Hayato and Felicia, and once again Mozu must go without her naginata and fashion instructor. Much like Ash she's doomed never to be a master...

Keaton himself is the boss here, and much like Kaden he's not much of a threat on his own. He'll gladly stay put until someone enters his range, so he can be left alone until you need to fight him. He is however the only foe here with Beastfoe - Kitsune Lair gave all but one enemy effective damage against beasts in Lunatic, but here Keaton's the only one you have to worry about, so you've got a lot more freedom to send someone like Hinoka or Silas right into a group of enemies with a Beast Killer.

Incidentally from what I've seen of looking boss stats up on the wiki, the only stat boost each boss gains in Lunatic compared to Hard mode is +5 to their HP. Bosses gain a couple of points in each stat from Normal to Hard, but the H -> L jump seems much smaller. Weird.

The unpromoted generics here have no kills and aren't too impressive statwise, but every promoted enemy here comes with one off-class skill. I've not shown all of them, and there will be reinforcements, but I've shown the six ones to be carrying loot. This is a rout chapter so I'll be getting it all anyway.

Individually none of these skills are too dangerous, but some can be very nasty surprises if you're not expecting them. Getting killed by a Counter you didn't think you have to check for sucks, and skills like Aegis can ruin plans too if you don't factor them in...

Or you might be like me and mistake Quick Draw for Quick Riposte and have Setsuna killed in a single hit from full HP on enemy phase. Oops...

This map is filled with dragon veins that slap all enemies with a -4 debuff to each stat, much like Enfeeble and Draconic Hex do. (Temp.) just means that the debuffs decay by 1 each turn much like all stat drops do. There are a few of these but with only Kevin capable of triggering them it'll be tough to take advantage of them all.

There's few completely inaccessible tiles on this map, but the large number of mountains make navigating it slightly tricky. Wolfskin take fewer terrain penalties than other classes so for the most part the enemy will have higher movement than you... I always find it hard to tell different terrain types apart in 3D games like this one, I'm never sure exactly what I'm dealing with at a glance.

The Counter Wolfssenger is one of the first enemies you'll face, so if he ends up killing you you'll only be set back a single turn. Unfortunately his Countermagic counterpart is tucked all the way at the back where he'll most likely be one of the last enemies you encounter...

Wolfskins are white and Wolfssengers are red. They look quite funny when paired up. I still think they look more like yetis than wolves...

Very good for a first level! One thing about me not writing analyses for new characters as soon as they appear means I tend not to remember what their growths look like until I reach the point where I have to write them. Scarlet's only got a 25% defense growth as an Adventurer so this seems pretty good!

Scarlet gets Locktouch and Caeldori steals a hit to finally get C lances. The Beast Killer's only a D rank weapon though.

Mozu's got it right now. I really wish I had 2, it's going to put in a lot of work here! I'm sure Wyvern Lord Scarlet could tear through these enemies with one equipped, but alas.

These two will just have to swap whenever it's convenient. Caeldori can fly, it shouldn't be too hard for her to reach Mozu to trade.

Kaden suffers relatively little movement penalty on mountain and forest tiles, he deals effective damage to every enemy here, and his high avoid only gets higher on rough terrain. He's going to be my trump card here. His bulk isn't perfect but if he keeps dodging it doesn't really matter.

Oh, Mozu's offense isn't so hot without effective damage on her side. Hmm...

Someone else had to do it for her. My money woes are over now! Whoever this guy ate must have been rich.

May as well pop this first vein now. This chapter is full of reinforcements that appear almost every turn from 4 to 10 from various points across the map, so I'd like to start clearing out enemies quickly. The reinforcements that spawn in late will of course not be affected by veins activated on earlier turns...

The stat drops turn the unpromoted enemies into borderline jokes. Still don't think Orochi could double this guy though.

I don't even know what I want to do with Hana and Hinata anymore. May as well keep giving them the occasional kill on their way to S rank so Hisame inherits more stat boosts from them, but they are both turning out quite bad.

Oops. Sometimes it's hard to tell what terrain is what and how far I can move my dudes... I really don't want to choke this point with Setsuna.

I'll choke it with a different bow user instead. GBA FE AI strats!

There goes the Life And Death guy, gone in one clean hit. The rough terrain makes it fairly easy to limit how many enemies Kaden has to deal with in a single turn so long as he sticks to the mountains.

I guess earning strength every level 5 levels in a row was a pipe dream. He's allowed this one failure.

Still though, I want to send Kaden as far forward as possible while the enemies are weakened to buy me some space later on. There's only so many hits he can take in a turn though, and it's dangerous to play as if he can dodge everything.

I hope I brought enough healing rods to get Azama to level 20 this map. Mozu continues to be bizarrely bulky...

Like all promoted units that are only capable of using one weapon type, Wolfssengers get innate bonuses to various combat stats. They get +10 hit, +5 crit, and +10 crit avoid. Hinata's luck is fairly high, but not as high as I'd like...

Here come the reinforcements. I should probably keep these forts covered, they'll soon start spawning in very high numbers and I don't want to get attacked from behind.

Speed! At long last. Defense is nice too... I wonder if she'll hit double digit magic before she promotes?

Reinforcements are now pouring in from all over in large amounts. They'll get through this forest fairly quickly...

I'll give Caeldori the Beast Killer and let them come to her. It's better that way, her accuracy is somewhat dubious and there's no way she's hitting them on the forts.

Of course they instead attack from the mountains. This map is too dark, I can't tell what I'm looking at!!!

Kaden's holding off the north by himself, although I wish he could be elsewhere too. I really like this one screenshot, there's a lot going on!

Okay fine I guess single stat levels are the price I must pay for previous blessings. At least it helps him dodge...

Suddenly I find myself missing the royal siblings. Hinoka can fly to access veins, Takumi ignores terrain with his bow, and Ryoma moves where he wants completely unbothered by enemies. Kevin can't move quickly through these forests and if he somehow made it he'd be clobbered.

I really need Kaden down here to help out, Kaze can't do this on his own...

Take this Master Seal and use it!!! I need a 6 move wolfslayer over here right now!!!

This doesn't look good. Kaze will survive this fight with a full gauge, so if only one more enemy attacks him...

Okay good only the two enemies he couldn't kill on counterattack attacked him, blocking the way for everyone else. If I can just keep retreating I'll be fine?

Azama might have to take a hit, but he's good at that. Maybe I'll get to see some Divine Retribution!

There he is, my deadliest weapon. Those promotion gains might not seem great, but he's also getting +10 innate avoid, crit avoid, and +5 crit.

He's got 73 avoid naturally and then a further 20 from the tile he's stood on. They shouldn't be able to touch him.

See Hana, this is how you dodge tank! And he stuck his sharp tail straight through this guy's wrist, ouch.

...only a single point of EXP per kill though. I guess it's better than dying?

I'm glad it wasn't the Gamble guy who went for Azama. Unpromoted healer classes get +10 to crit avoid innately, but I don't think that would counteract his crit entirely!

The reinforcements are spawning at the top of the map now. They'll make their way over to me as soon as they can, but I don't have to worry about them right now.

A weird stat for Setsuna to pick for a 1 stat level. I won't complain, she needs strength!

Oh and I finally have this now, just not on who needs it... Maybe Setsuna can activate a cool beast form of her own. She keeps falling into animal traps because of the beast inside her!!!

6 whole HP, thanks Azama. The Wane Festal is meant for healers with an actual magic stat.

Things are just barely manageable now. Caeldori can take two hits so I can send her into the mountains with a Beast Killer to go for slightly risky hits to potentially thin out the crowds.

Rinkah's very slowly getting EXP from being Kaden's backpack. Speed and defense are very much appreciated and wow she's over 3 points ahead of her magic average. Maybe she won't even need the Bolt Axe to kick butt as a Chieftain, she can just sling tomes.

All these peaks and forests mean so many important hits feel like coinflips. This chapter can go south very quickly if 60-70% hits refuse to connect, it's annoying. Just not as bad as kitsune land.

Magic! 21 magic is her 20/0 average, I guess she's slightly ahead of the curve.

10 turns and I'm stuck in the same place and there's still loads of enemies on the map. The reinforcements have almost dried up but it doesn't feel like I've made much progress!

Mozu hit C lances at some point and now she doesn't even take damage with the Guard Naginata. Tank Mozu!!!

Sometime after Awakening the developers realised that giving Snipers worse stats than their mounted, multiple weapon-using counterparts wasn't doing them any favours and gave the class great bases to compensate for being locked to 2 range on foot. Kinshi Knights have so much utility in flying and being able to use lances and bows that Archers actually lose strength if they promote into them to balance it out...

I personally prefer Sniper for Setsuna since her strength's dubious enough as it is, but if I'm giving her all my boosters she deserves to be a frontliner.

Please don't get sauce stains all over your kinshi! Their white down makes messes really hard to wash out.

Despite her amazing stats Rinkah feels as if she's underperforming. I might have to give her Scarlet's Killer Axe, I don't know why I didn't earlier.

All the reinforcements are now crossing the mountains single file. I know they're just defending themselves but if I were them I'd give up about now.

Who needs Reina now I've got a flying Setsuna? No pitfall can keep down a girl with wings!!! Just ignore that screenshot of her getting one-shot I posted at the start.

Mozu on a fort easily dispatches of the mountain crossing conga line. This is the weirdest Mozu I've ever had, I wonder how she'll turn out as a Spear Master...

Now for the end of map cleanup. Good levels all around.

Finally! Now I can end this map as fast as possible.

...okay maybe not that fast. I think she needs more boosters.

Here's the Countermagic guy. He can't counter if he's dead so he's not going to take Orochi to the grave with him.

Caeldori can safely lure Keaton over with a full guard gauge. Someone needs to tell Keaton that Rawr! isn't "you killed my friend, prepare to die", it's more "young girl on the internet in 2002".

In another life these two could have married. Oh, the horrors of taking a side...

I'm sorry! I wanted to use the Hoshidan units but I didn't want to have to play Revelation!

That's both her speed and defense capped now. A very fine Mozu.

What a pain! This chapter is much easier with more royals to keep the dragon veins constantly activated. At least I got to show off Kaden's power and level up everyone.

Oh no, how did this happen? The fart gas explosions are back and now they've blown a hole in the ground...

It's okay, Kaze found a fart crystal of his own and blew it up with a well aimed projectile to save the both of them. Had he not reached an A support with Kevin he'd have been too busy talking to have done this. Without Kaze's sacrifice to justify it this whole scene feels a bit pointless.

Kaze understands that the world needs royalty free music. As a ninja he knows that spy mains deserve to have songs to put their trickstab compilations to that won't get their videos taken down.

It's fine, the women and the children all survived. I guess in Birthright it's just another slaughter, we've killed a lot of Nohrians already.

I've never been sure if Hoshido and Nohr have really weird day/night cycles or if this entirely metaphorical. The plot of Rev states that after a certain amount of time the skies over Hoshio and Nohr will begin to change, but aside from this one scene that never seems to happen in any other route.

Oh and here's Jakob. He's travelled through space and time to be relevant to the next chapter's plot.

Next time: Picking up Hayato's horrible daughter from daycare

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I made a very scary Mitama on my all-kid Revelation (singular) run by cheating and buying Life or Death for Azama and immediately classing the kiddo to Dread Fighter. It was stupid, but fun, especially once she got Aggressor and I think her mom gave her Quick Draw for a ridiculous +21 damage on player phase. Also, I'm surprised you're neglecting Silas! His personal's great (maybe less so on a designated healer Corrin, fair, but ol' Kevin can soak a hit then be babied the rest of the level) and he's the main way you can spread around Cavalier-Paladin/GK skills.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 4, 2022

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

...it's Strong Riposte, not Quick Riposte? I thought it matched Quick Draw... I even thought about how it was weird that it would be called Quick Riposte despite increasing power and not speed! LP cancelled, I need to seclude myself in shame.

Anyway. Lapis is the material for forging clubs, so maybe I should start doing that since Rinkah's damage output is looking a little sad despite her blessed strength... If this game's forging system worked like Japanese PoR then I'd be able to forge 255 crit clubs by reducing the Iron Club's crit rate below 5 to cause integer underflow. Nobody would call Rinkah bad then!!!

Speaking of Path of Radiance, look who it is! He's wearing a mask but that's definitely Oscar. I'm not actually going to use him though, I just capture random generics when I'm bored. Aside from his high HP and Cavalier class there's nothing particularly good about this guy.

Great Masters may have better numbers than Onmyojis in everything but magic, and Azama's strength is way higher than his magic... But I'd still argue this decision isn't a complete no-brainer. 1-2 range combat is very useful and Azama is bulky enough to fight crowds of enemies at a time. His magic sucks but there's enough ways in this game to patch it up...

...but I'm still going Great Master because it's way cooler. 28 might with a brass weapon! This guy is nuts.

Looking at these stats I assumed he was quite RNG blessed, but compared to his 20/1 averages he's got -0.15 HP, -0.15 STR, -1.9 MAG, -3.5 SKL, +1.2 SPD, -0.15 LCK, +0.8 DEF, and +0.8 RES. These are insanely good stats for a unit of this level, even if he is stuck in a footlocked class with only E rank lances for combat. Right now I need the healers but I wonder if I could have him steal Kinshi from Setsuna? It would be an excuse to recruit and use Mitama.

Setsuna has 8 less strength and should not have to suffer through E rank lances, she can have this scroll I've been hanging onto for a while. Bows will still be her primary form of combat, but if I don't help her past E lances she's never going to be able to deal enough damage to justify raising her rank in the first place.

Oh and I guess I have all these spare. I wanted to save the Secret Books for Rhajat, but I don't think I want her to inherit Sol anymore so that might be off the table. I really don't know how to spend any of these to be honest. Do I have to give all my statboosters to Setsuna as a joke to make myself use them?

There's Kaze and Mozu S supported. That means I don't have to have them be stuck together all the time anymore! Kaze is one of my best units but he was never meant to be a "proper" member of the team, he was just there to A support Kevin and unlock his paralogue so I could get the Dragon Herbs.

Unfortunately that's a pipe dream, you've both turned out terribly. I might try and salvage Hana some more, but more likely I'll ditch the two of them and replace them with their son, who tbh is also lame but will at least be less lame than these too.

A lot of my army is close to promoting at 20 now. Rhajat's paralogue is a big open field full of Faceless and is basically free EXP, so I guess I'm going to be going into Chapter 16 with an entirely promoted army. Assuming I can afford enough seals anyway.

I also have a load of kids who need picking up from extradimensional daycare. I want Rhajat on my team, the other two I'll pick up... eventually. I don't want to do all of these in a row. Mitama's also ready to recruit but she shows up like 70% of the way through her chapter. Maybe I'll add in some kid paralogues to spice up the incredibly boring run of chapters that is Birthright Chapter 17 through 22.

Reina
Kinshi Knight (from Sky Knight) (HS: Diviner, Ninja)
A+ Support Partners: None
Personal Skill: Morbid Celebration (Unit recovers up to 20% of their max HP after attacking and defeating a foe on player phase)
Pair-Up Stats (C B A S): Spd Str Spd Str+Spd
Growths (With Default Class):
HP: 40% (40)
STR: 45% (50)
MAG: 5% (5)
SKL: 20% (35)
SPD: 45% (60)
LCK: 10% (25)
DEF: 20% (20)
RES: 10% (25)

Reina has a cool scar and good stats and shoots people with a bow from atop a magic bird. She's also like 40 or 50 years old which makes her a geriatric by Fire Emblem standards. I'd say it's a shame she doesn't get more supports but I have a feeling her personality gimmick would get old extremely fast. She could at least have had a support with Orochi, they were both retainers together...

Unfortunately I've not used Reina a whole lot so I don't have a lot to say for her. She's a prepromote who joins in a chapter where flying bow users are extremely useful, and her base stats and good enough growths can carry her through the rest of the game. Kinshi Knight is one of the most useful combat classes in Fates, and their usual flaw of bad class bases and growths don't hurt Reina so much when her bases are good enough to carry her through most of the game, and even then she's got an effective 50% strength growth and 60% speed growth to keep her relevant forever. Her other growths range from average to terrible and Kinshi's bad growths all around certainly don't help, but that's a problem for the lategame where your other units will have had time to get good and replace her.

I'm not really sure what else to say. Master Ninja and Mechanist are both great classes although Reina doesn't have much reason to swap out of Kinshi, and Diviner is worthless aside from giving her Rend Heaven. The only other classes she can get will have to come from marrying Corrin. Her personal skill is pretty good as a semi-reliable source of healing, although once her bases stop carrying her and she becomes more glass cannon-y she won't want to be taking much damage in the first place. Reina's personal pair-up stats are matched only by Charlotte and Nyx in how minmaxed they are - an S supported Reina will grant +3 speed and +2 strength before factoring in class bonuses. A Berserker Reina would provide 7 strength and 6 speed to Corrin at S rank, although this would require Corrin to have the Fighter talent. Unfortunately Corrin and Kana are the only 2 units who will ever be able to benefit from Reina's personal pair-up stats, so her usefulness as a stat backpack is not nearly as universal as Charlotte or Nyx.

Pros
  • Great bases for her join time, growths just about good enough in the relevant stats to make her useful longterm
  • Joins in the excellent Kinshi Rider class with decent weapon ranks already
  • Immensely useful in her join chapter and worth deploying in many maps after, even if you're only using her to ferry others
  • Great pair-up stats if supporting Corrin, rivals Charlotte as a stat backpack if in the right class
  • Not a bad choice for Mechanist if you want more???
Cons
  • Is a non-royal prepromote, her bases are a little below what you'd expect for a promoted unit and her growths in all non strength, speed, or HP stats are poor
  • Somewhat fragile once enemies start getting tougher
  • Cannot support with anyone but Corrin, not even fellow retainer to Mikoto Orochi

My Thoughts: My favourite character design in all of Birthright. Criminally ignored as a player character, but I could easily see her being a generic chapter boss people obsess over like Awakening's Pheros. She wouldn't look out of place in FE6's Ilia chapters...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

midnight lasagna posted:

...it's Strong Riposte, not Quick Riposte? I thought it matched Quick Draw... I even thought about how it was weird that it would be called Quick Riposte despite increasing power and not speed! LP cancelled, I need to seclude myself in shame.

Quick Riposte is from Three Houses. :v:

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
It's technically from Heroes :ssh:

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
I've used Reina! She is in fact rather fragile as time goes on and WOULD like stat boosters, but she's largely very competent and her design stands out and the like.

She's also one of the characters that arguably most benefits from the Gay Fates hack, in that people who look at her and think she's cool and interesting write her support chains when she previously only ever had one, so there's foundation but an absolute boatload of exploratory real estate. The chain with Beruka in Revelation is remarkably heartwarming.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly I'd say that the Corrinsexuals are really just a victim of the game's insane bloat, and the overworked and already phoning it in writing staff simply couldn't write them more poo poo when there was clearly in-universe justification for them to have more to say.

It's disappointing, but what can you do. It's not like Fates doesn't have problems in other ways.

Ventadour
Feb 17, 2012

Such is the way of things, I fear. I shall consider it a miracle if mine armor is not stained crimson ere this conflict is ended.
To be fair, the problem started in Awakening, which had its own set of characters who only supported Robin and maybe one other person. It's not a good choice imo but Fates didn't invent it at least - we already know it iterated on features from the previous game without really thinking about how and why or is it necessary.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
See: the children characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

midnight lasagna posted:

Speaking of Path of Radiance, look who it is! He's wearing a mask but that's definitely Oscar. I'm not actually going to use him though, I just capture random generics when I'm bored. Aside from his high HP and Cavalier class there's nothing particularly good about this guy.

Eh, looking at his FE9 averages he's -3 on HP, +2 on strength, -3 on magic, dead even on skill, -2 in speed, -1 in luck, average on defense, +6 on res. id say hes turning out okay, the speed defieciency is kinda bad tho.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

Bogart posted:

I made a very scary Mitama on my all-kid Revelation (singular) run by cheating and buying Life or Death for Azama and immediately classing the kiddo to Dread Fighter. It was stupid, but fun, especially once she got Aggressor and I think her mom gave her Quick Draw for a ridiculous +21 damage on player phase. Also, I'm surprised you're neglecting Silas! His personal's great (maybe less so on a designated healer Corrin, fair, but ol' Kevin can soak a hit then be babied the rest of the level) and he's the main way you can spread around Cavalier-Paladin/GK skills.
I used Silas in my recent Conquest playthrough so I'm a little bored of him and Cavaliers in general. It's what usually happens when I play Birthright - whenever I get the urge to play through Fates I always start with Conquest, so by the time I reach Birthright I'm always bored of the Nohrian units. Were it not for that I'd have brought him along though, he's fun and good.

Jadecore posted:

I've used Reina! She is in fact rather fragile as time goes on and WOULD like stat boosters, but she's largely very competent and her design stands out and the like.

She's also one of the characters that arguably most benefits from the Gay Fates hack, in that people who look at her and think she's cool and interesting write her support chains when she previously only ever had one, so there's foundation but an absolute boatload of exploratory real estate. The chain with Beruka in Revelation is remarkably heartwarming.
Oh, neat. I think I read a couple of the Gay Fates hack's supports when they were hosted on their tumblr or whatever, but I've never actually played it or any mod. I wonder if there's a Reina/Camilla support.

Endorph posted:

Eh, looking at his FE9 averages he's -3 on HP, +2 on strength, -3 on magic, dead even on skill, -2 in speed, -1 in luck, average on defense, +6 on res. id say hes turning out okay, the speed defieciency is kinda bad tho.
Any Oscar who's not 5 points behind in strength is better than average imo.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

"Rajat" is an Indian boy's name meaning "silver", or "courage". It's not really a fitting name for a girl from fictional Japan, but at the same time I'm impressed any anagram of Tharja could be a name at all.

Oh no, I wanted a break from dark maps! Can we sleep in a bed to make it daytime?

All the things you could do with magic and you use it to turn your home into Echoes Act 4. Nobody likes summoner enemies or swamp maps. Nobody.

21 children... I wonder how many support conversations that would be? This game's got a lot of mediocre supports but there's some really good character growth and lore in the sibling support between Faceless 7 and Faceless 13.

Time for a big open field with lots of damaging, movement-slowing swamp and trees. The forest tiles are easy to make out but to me the swamp and regular ground tiles look the exact same, which is what I got for trying to play a dark map during the middle of the day.

The objective is to rout everything, but an infinite amount of Faceless reinforcements will spawn so long as there are dragon veins active. I'm not 100% sure of the mechanics, but it seems like 1 or 2 groups spawn from the veins nearest to you every other turn. Deactivating all the veins isn't necessary to win like Seigbert's paralogue, but turning off the ones closest to you can help you not get overwhelmed. This chapter is free EXP if you want it to be.

Rhajat will happily stand here in the middle while a load of Faceless kill her family and all their friends. You can either talk to her with Hayato to recruit her instantly or defeat her with anyone and have her join at the end of the chapter, either one works and will be necessary to complete the map. If you don't want to ferry Hayato over to her then defeating her can be a quicker and easier alternative. Unfortunately defeating her won't stop the Faceless from spawning, and it's not possible to visit the village tile she's on either. I hope the people who live there aren't too upset with all of this.

Each group of Faceless comes with a different skill, as do the reinforcements. Between them they have every breaker skill and Aegis and Pavise, which can be a little irritating if you're not paying attention. As individuals they're not particularly tough or threatening but there are a lot of them.

Each acid bog has a dragon vein in the center you can use to erase them, turning the surrounding tiles into regular ground and stopping all future spawns. You'll have to remove every single one to stop Faceless from spawning entirely and I'm not sure removing individual bogs slows their spawn rates down until you've removed them all, but you can at least stop them from appearing in areas you don't want them to.

Hayato has to come because this is his daughter, otherwise for the first time since Chapter 9 I am free to bring Oboro!!! Felicia is too busy on the bench to take responsibility for her monstrous offspring.

Already my no royals restriction is causing me grief. The only way Kevin could reach this turn 1 is by pairing up with someone, and I don't want to waste any of my other units doing that.

This is going to be a very boring chapter, both to play and to commentate. It's a big open field with only 1 enemy type and it's too dark to see anything!!!

This chapter might be a potentially infinite source of EXP, but the enemies here aren't as good for it as the ones in some other paralogues. There's no promoted enemies unlike almost every other paralogue in Birthright, these Faceless give as much EXP as an unpromoted level 17 opponent would.

This map isn't very difficult or strategy intensive so of course I'm going to play as terribly as possible. I am just sending my units at the enemies and hoping things work out. Here you can see I have trapped this Faceless right up against Kevin for him to punch freely.

With the enemies all rushing towards me there's no real need to interact with the back half of this map, I can hold out here and fight the Faceless as they approach. Having more royals would be nice but splitting my army might make these fights harder, not easier.

Only the closest bogs seem to spawn enemies anyway so it's not as if there's any consequence to leaving the far veins active. Although I do wish they wouldn't spawn right on top of me.

Critical hits are a great thing to show off when there's nothing else interesting going on. I'm a little worried about what I'm going to do for some of the midgame chapters, Birthright has some really boring and dark maps during the early invasion of Nohr that I'm going to have to sit through, and breaking them up with equally dull child paralogues won't help much. There's at least 3 more Faceless spam maps I'm going to have to commentate.

This acid bog is gone now but my poor eyes can't really tell. I miss the clear visuals of GBA FE's tiles, you could always tell what you were looking at and you didn't have the problem of not being able to spot clear tiles among forests.

Scarlet earns 1 EXP from combat with a Faceless. Unlike my other promoted units she doesn't even appreciate the weapon rank increase, she's not going to be using bows for very long. Unfortunately she's one of my best damage dealers right now so she has to steal lots of kills or else this map will take forever.

It's going to take a lot of boosters to make Setsuna a useable frontline unit. As an Archer pair-up partners would just slow her down, but she might need a defensive partner if she's using her naginata. Hana's helping a little but she doesn't boost her physical bulk and Setsuna's already fast enough!

Turn 3 and already most of the enemies are gathered in this one corner. I appreciate not having to trek over to the dragon veins at the top of the map, but someone needs to go and talk to Rhajat.

Two bad levels for the happy couple. I say bad for Kevin because I want him to cap skill and he's not doing it, those stats are fine for a healer. Scarlet I expected a lot better from...

At least she doesn't have to be an Adventurer for much longer. As a 9 move Malig Knight she's going to be great!

Now I understand the value of splitting up - having to shield my weaker units means I can't have my stronger ones kill as much on enemy phase as I'd like. If all the enemies weren't in one place I wouldn't have to make big defensive walls like this one.

Hana's glued to Setsuna so Hinata's just hanging out on his own. He's not great at killing stuff but he is at least alright at not dying.

I don't have any Master Seals available in the convoy and I'm not sure how many I have left to buy. Nobody's promoting this chapter even if they're all at level 20...

A triumphant finish for Rinkah! HP and defense are the only averages she's not ahead of. More importantly this means I can put Kaden as the lead in their pair-up again...

It's not a real update if I don't almost get Kaze killed. I think I have to accept that he's not bulky anymore, my enemies are now capable of defeating an early promoted unit without too much effort.

Turn 5 and the entire map is now on top of me. Rhajat you are so grounded.

Mozu falls back on her other weirdly blessed growth in magic now that her defense is capped, and Kaden gets back on the strength train. I can only assume Selkie's going to be amazing with two incredibly blessed parents.

Soon Hinata is going to be fighting to save the life of his son in a map much like this. He's got to shape up if he wants him to survive!

Kaden cleanly one rounds all of his enemies now. There is no Stonebreaker skill so he's free to cleave through these fools like they're nothing. Beaststone Kaden might be weak and fragile, but Beastrune Kaden can be a juggernaut.

Finally reached acid bog number two. The rules prevent Kevin from ever wielding a weapon so I'm always going to have to babysit him through these maps.

9 turns this took! Rhajat your grandchildren are rude and out of control and they don't respect their elders.

Thankfully Rhajat is now here to... I dunno, all the enemies are on the other side of the map. If she were a royal she could start removing bogs but she isn't so she can't.

Bad map, boring map. Boo.

Faceless are tall and they don't have baby faces, or any face at all. I'm sure she could work something out!

Cast Heal on the zombie! I think that's a thing that works. A shame this isn't an animated cutscene and you can't see Kevin swining a Bloom Festal like it's a weapon.

A flimsy excuse for Rhajat's stalkerish obsession with the avatar character, but I guess it's more than Awakening gave. If Corrin is Rhajat's mother this scene plays a bit differently. There's no Faceless, just Rhajat fawning over her mother while the S support music plays. It's definitely something.

I was tempted to lump in stats with this update but all the life has been drained out of me, I'll do it later. I'll just show off Rinkah's 14 skill cap because it's funny. Poor Rinkah...

Next time: Takumi has dysentry.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I hope you can get a lot of Master Seals because you sure got a bunch of people to 20 there.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I was a little behind so it's not entirely relevant anymore but for whatever reason Caeldori uses a slightly modified version of a map from Thracia 776, specifically the map where you fight Reinhardt. One of the hardest maps in the series.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

midnight lasagna posted:

Oh, neat. I think I read a couple of the Gay Fates hack's supports when they were hosted on their tumblr or whatever, but I've never actually played it or any mod. I wonder if there's a Reina/Camilla support.

I believe there is, I have it installed but haven't made much headway in Revelation yet.

Could be a fun twist if you get it in your head to do Revelation, no one's done a complete Revelation LP or any Fates (or Awakening) with the gay mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It is against my religion to not pass down two skills to a child character so I find your Rhajat to be an abomination.