Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Seeing that Hana can get Archer and her growth spread, Archer Hana looks a lot better than regular Hana at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The other reason why I'd recommend Hana to Archer up is the excessive fragility. She was in one-shot range of enemy berserkers, and had a more -than-zero chance of getting hit on my file.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Since you said you're not using Saizo due to this being the garbage unit run essentially, I sort of want to talk about Asugi, his kid. Asugi shares Saizo's trait for very high growths across the board, to the point where as mentioned he can also be a mage perfectly fine. It's also not hard at all to pair him with Sakura since he tends to counteract a lot in his use and she's the healer. Bonus points for having her next to him while that's happening if you can manage it due to a choke-point or whatever.

In fact, they were my first exposure to the 'oh, gross' and 'what the hell?' part of Deeprealms here.

I find Asugi weird primarily because any mother is going to lower his growths in some aspect due to his master-of-all-trades growths. Even Sakura lowers his growths in more than just strength. This makes him very moldable, even if mine ended up kind of useless due to it being a blind first-time playthrough for me.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I don't get why Hayato's bases are so terrible. Seems like it's a combination Birthright unit thing + non-royal thing?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Personally Birthright’s distribution and map design are both very lazy in general.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Man I had forgotten how many of Birthright’s characters are just really kind of lovely. The Mozu map was kind of painful.

It doesn’t help that so many of the characters would actually be a bit interesting with a Heart Seal, but you only get one. What were they thinking? For myself, I threw it on Azama and had no regrets. Apothecary into Mechanist for a hideously effective 1-2 range tank.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That direct Hana/Hinata comparison basically says it all for the two samurai. For whatever it's worth, Hana does her job. You say she's a below-average one, but she has higher offensive stats than Hinata could manage even if he procced growths on them in both levels of difference.

She's still in her optimal point, where her fragility doesn't start comprimising her attacking yet. Late-game she gets one-shot by Berserkers, so probably want a Robe for her later. I didn't really bother because by that point, Ryoma, but still. Take the most effective unit in Birthright and funnel your Dracoshields into him, and suddenly it doesn't feel important that Hana gets one-shot anymore..... she became his stat/dual guard backpack for me.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
On paper, Hayato actually has better growths in Odin in all the ways that matter. He SHOULD be good.

In practice, he's saddled with such bad bases and being underleveled to poo poo that it's a crapshoot whether or not he turns usable. He also doesn't invalidate entire sides of a map with one pair-up partner either....

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Ricken in Awakening was just a confusing case, because he comes later than Miriel, with worse growths, and worse second seal options.

Then again, mage balance in that game was just off. For some reason, the healers have really awful bases themselves, as evidenced by the time I did a level 20 second seal Maribelle.... and she was still worse compared to the level 14 or so second sealed Miriel.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I didn't communicate that well. That Maribelle leveled to 20, and then second sealed to Mage since I was doing a gimmick paired with Chrom, so I wanted her pass on as much stat as possible.

That didn't really work out, since her bases are so bad and her growths worse by enough that the Miriel who second-sealed 12-14 was outperforming her stat-wise despite Maribelle getting like 6-8 extra levels on her.

Granted, that MAY be because for some reason, all the non-Miriel mages suck in a glaring way. Tharja needs to shove a lot of Goddess Icons down her throat before the crit stops being an issue, Henry is late as balls and really slow, the healers start with really bad base stats for some reason, Ricken has no magical second seal class to change into.

In contrast of Miriel being recruited next to immediately (though Lissa is earlier of course), and her one issue is fixed by a single Seraph Robe. Then she'll happily double-counter a dude to add more damage when receiving a wave.

On Lunatic, I found that any first genner needs to second seal since honestly the challenge is kind of lazy by just going STATS. So you need people to take advantage of the faster leveling of unpromoted to cap stats before promotion for real.

Though considering that I found Miriel to outperform Laurent as well, that may just be that Miriel is really good.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Their primary role seems to be spawning children who are better than them at this point.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I’m not sure I understand your dislike for Mozu in Conquest? I found her very useful there for next to exclusive access to Kinshi Knight.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I actually misread what the OP said about Mozu, with the bit about 'Birthright is least kind to her'. I reread it and get their original point now.

It's funny to me that the OP is using Mozu when she's at her shittiest comparatively speaking.

I always make Kaze a Mechanist too. It's really derp, but due to his stat allocation he really needs the increased bulk and does not need the extra speed from Ninja. Plus I find that Bows are a better secondary weapon type than Swords are too, so there's that benefit.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly I'm just glad that Keaton manages to be good in any fashion. Fire Emblem has a very bad track record with beast-type characters being actually good characters to use.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I mean it's not like Fates isn't tortuously attached to Awakening for incredibly flimsy reasons or anything....

Honestly, it's a miracle that it tries to iterate on the base Fire Emblem formula at all, never mind to the degree it actually did so.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly, seeing the Birthright's units growths, I'm wondering why they suck so bad? Like, is it just me or do the Birthright non-royals suck a LOT harder than the Conquest ones? I'm seeing a lot more characters who make me go 'euuuuuuuuuugghhhh' when I see their growths. Or their bases, in the case of people like Hayate.

Azama is a standout. I do appreciate seeing what a non-Heart Sealed Azama looks like, where from his stats it's clear he's just loving waiting to start using weapons and murdering poo poo. I turned him into an Apothecary asap, so my experience was of devastating arrows to the face and then becoming an utter meatwall tank via Mechanist.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's not just that, it's that the growth totals on some of these characters is ridiculously low.

Like, let's compare Hinata to Selena since they're sort of counterparts.

Selena

HP: 40% (50)
STR: 30% (45)
MAG: 5% (5)
SKL: 25% (45)
SPD: 45% (60)
LCK: 30% (35)
DEF: 45% (55)
RES: 30% (35)

Personal total: 250%

Hinata

HP: 55% (65)
STR: 35% (45)
MAG: 0% (0)
SKL: 25% (40)
SPD: 15% (35)
LCK: 45% (60)
DEF: 45% (45)
RES: 15% (25)

Personal total: 235%

Shamelessly copy-pasted from Midnight Lasagna's analyses.

That was less of a difference than I thought it was in the totals.... I guess a lot of it is that my eyes are sort of glued to the Str/Spd/Def trifecta, where 5% strength in no way compensates enough for -30% speed for Hinata.

The Birthright non-royals just still feel kind of bad in general and just all over the place. Like with Azama coming in with a 310% growth total with Setsuna the other retainer having 220%.

I dunno, I still find the Birthright character design to be very confused in general. And very consistently lower in growths than Conquest. Like weird-growth Beruka still beats out weird-growth Subaki for another example.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly I'd say that the Corrinsexuals are really just a victim of the game's insane bloat, and the overworked and already phoning it in writing staff simply couldn't write them more poo poo when there was clearly in-universe justification for them to have more to say.

It's disappointing, but what can you do. It's not like Fates doesn't have problems in other ways.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
See: the children characters.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
They don't intentionally give a reason, but she's one of the most reasonable children based on the incredibly hosed up reason they accidentally gave all children.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
You are a very generous person.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Is it just me or does Fates seriously love ostensibly noble and heroic characters committing suicide for the dumbest loving reasons instead of being reasonable?

The writers in general seem to be in love with the whole tragic/noble death concept, but they absolutely do NOT have the chops to actually write it well.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Ventadour posted:

I think in the case of Flora and Scarlet it might be a "don't you wish to see how they end up in the route where you don't go against them?" thing, signaling to the player that ~their choices have consequences~ and ~please buy dlc~. No comment on why they, or unsupported Kaze, die so weirdly, though.

See above:

Keldulas posted:

they absolutely do NOT have the chops to actually write it well.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I find it funny that this update happens right after we talk about other aspects of how insanely lovely this game’s writing is. Azura hands Leo a plot device to convince him to help you, so he hands you a plot device so you can just skip any sense of logistics. And tells you to visit a Sage, which is also basically a huge plot device.

Like holy poo poo, that is some insane density of horrendous writing.

Also, seriously what the hell is with the retainers stats? This IS supposed to be Lunatic, right….?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I believe it was this map that I truly started to just loving hate Birthright. What is it with this complete guessing game that completely fucks you over if you choose the wrong coin flip? It’s so spiteful,

I’m pretty sure I only survived by Ryomaing my way out of it.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm not going to lie, that Great Lord final skill is kind of offensive to me? I was on board with In Extremis being a nerfed wrath cause, sure, that's what they wanted to do. And then they had planned to release THAT.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Wait, how is Midori a level 10 mechanist already without the use of that offspring seal first?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I dislike it heavily myself. Fates already has problems with making unit juggernaut stacks the best tactic in any given situation. This map amplifies it with tons of aoe damage. Since HP is so bad in Fates, it can push a lot of units to 1HKO range, which discourages their use and limits your tactics. So it’s best to have a unit that’s not really taking damage in the first place, hence the Ryoma thing.

The fact you can do nothing to stop her bombing you every round until you fight her means there’s very little reactivity to the map.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
At that point, it literally doesn't matter which character it was....

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
And so Birthright continued to be really kind of bland. These maps were kind of killing my soul when I was playing through myself.

I don't really understand why they even have the Lillith death scenes. She has no plot presence for the longest time before her death scene, and she dies in like the most casual manner ever, and never gets mentioned again after. In a game with generally atrocious writing and plotting, this still manages to stand out based on how baffling it is.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Ryoma and Xander are both antithetical to sensible game design. Their power is so far above the regular characters that they utterly warp map design to accommodate for them. Either you have maps that can only be done by them, or you get maps that get brushed aside by them trivially. There’s no good middle ground here.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
So what's wrong with Revelation anyways? I kind of got burnt out on Fates because Birthright was so crappy, but from what everyone is saying, Revelation is the worst of the three? That.... seems like an accomplishment considering how the quality of the game can just change really suddenly even on the same route.

I appreciate Conquest and all, but with it being so experimental it gets some really lovely maps on top of the good ones. But I can forgive failure based on experimentation at least. So it makes me slightly sad that Conquest is apparently the only good path, considering that it's really flawed still.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah that description completely destroys any possible interest I could ever have to play Revelation. Thanks for the summary and the LP as a whole, it was a good ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Given what keeps happening to Lilith, it's not like they have any idea as to how to make a meaningful death scene.