Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Aww yeah more Fire Emblem!

midnight lasagna posted:

I picked the girl in my Conquest playthrough, so now I guess I'll pick the boy. Meet Kevin! Named after Kevin MacLeod, musician and producer of an immense amount of royalty-free music that if you have ever watched a youtube video you most likely have listened to. Fitting for a royalty-free playthrough. I totally stole his appearence and birthday from wikipedia, although I didn't look up anything more than that since I didn't want to be weird. Incidentally, the title card and first image of every update will link to a different Kevin MacLeod song for your listening pleasure. Even the banner in the first post links to one! I am absolutely going to regret this stupid gimmick in a few updates time.
This is amazing :buddy:

I did what I called the Terrible Units Run of Birthright a while back (though I only did it on Hard). It'll be interesting to see how our experiences and perspectives diverge on this run. Your Rinkah opening with three strength procs is already going to make her way, way better than mine (though I note she has done her usual thing of being deathly allergic to the HP stat).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

The Rinkah paradox is that she has good speed and excellent defense, but those are undercut by mediocre strength and awful HP and resistance. Even if she's only taking chip damage from most enemies, they'll still kill her fairly quickly thanks to having almost no health to back it up, and mages wipe the floor with her (and even have WTA to add insult to injury). Fiery Blood helps a lot early on, but she'll often end up unable to meaningfully contribute late game.

The Bad Units Run instance of Rinkah ended up a mediocre mixed attacker with clubs and the Bolt Axe and was mostly relegated to backpack duty, but there were a few chapters around the midgame where her high defense let her hold a couple positions that were difficult for anyone else to block. She's playable, and if you toss a bunch of stat boosters on her she can be competent, but even among the generally poor quality of the non-royal Birthright units she's on the low end. I feel like if she was in a GBA game she'd also have like 6 Con just to really drive the point home :v:

theshim
May 1, 2012

I went and dug out my copy of Fates to look at how my dudes were doing in the Bad Units Run. Kinda fun to look back on this stuff, though I don't remember who I used stat boosters on, so it won't be especially accurate as a bellwether.

Subaki is an enigma. I get that they were trying to make an unusual unit, but they forgot to give him something he's actually good at besides Skill. He can be an okay physical wall, especially with the Guard Naginata and switched over to Master of Arms, but it comes at the cost of absolutely wretched Speed and no Res to speak of at all, making him easy prey for lategame Berserkers and Sorcerors (and there are plenty of both). His killing power is pretty pathetic as well, and his personal skill isn't even useful to dodgetank with because of his awful base evade. The fact that he's a flier alone gives him some base usefulness, and even being outclassed horribly as a combat unit he can still provide some utility, but he's just a mess. I was barely able to do anything with him in my Bad Units Run (he was mostly on or over his averages, except a couple points low on defense) and I look forward to seeing you make actual good use of him, because you're a lot better at Fire Emblem than I am :buddy:

Fun fact: the only stat Subaki will cap on average (going through the default of Falcon Knight at 20) is Skill. He's well short of everything else.

Hana is a glass cannon. She will almost always cap Strength, Skill, and Speed, and she packs a surprisingly decent Res, but everything else is awful. She's really good at deleting a target on Player Phase and that's about it. There's a decent argument to be made towards sealing her over to Archer so she can hang back a bit more. She does need to gain a few points of speed early on to be useful but that's not too big an ask with her 75% growth. The Bad Units Run Hana ended up even glassier and cannonier (that's a word shut up), capping Strength and Skill by level 12 promoted. I think I let myself use the free DLC seals for fun so she went through Great Lord for a while, but I don't know if that helped or hindered her to be honest.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Saizo is another oddity. His total growths are very high, but so much of them is dumped into Magic and Skill, stats he doesn't really have that much use for. You can give him the Flame Shuriken and he's fine with it, but he can also use Sting Shuriken for taking out armored units and nothing else really has the defense that Saizo's better off with it. His Speed and Res base growths are also shaky, so he's not going to want to switch around to anything but Master Ninja very much.

Orochi, Orochi, Orochi. You'd be perfectly justified in looking at her HP and Speed growths and immediately dumping her. She'll hit like a truck, but never twice, and she spends most of the game in range to be ORKO'd by nearly any enemy. She does have Capture, but it's so much worse on Birthright - in the main campaign there is exactly one (1) boss you can capture, and they are unimpressive. Some of the kid chapters do have better bosses worth nabbing but it's not nearly enough to justify using her for most of the game.

I've used Orochi twice. Once for my Captured Units Run, and once for the Bad Units Run. For the former she was simply serviceable, but for the latter she became one of my best units. Her speed never rose above mediocre, but somehow she ended up with remarkable defenses, especially once I moved her over to Oni Chieftain, finishing the run with a staggering 30 in both defense and resistance. She still occasionally got one-rounded by Berserkers but on the whole she ended up an incredible mixed tank that could hold huge portions of maps on her own and dish it back with capped magic. I recognize that this is not the typical Orochi experience, but it's given me a huge soft spot for her.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I'm amused at your Hayato's persistent refusal to gain Magic. Really making a name for yourself, kid.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Your units are turning out wonderfully strangely. Rinkah is actually buff as heck and Hayato can't gain magic to save his life. I love the little stories that come out of every playthrough of these games :buddy:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Ahhh, Setsuna. They just forgot to give you growths. Up her growths by 10% in every stat and she'd be decent, but still not good. In my Bad Units Run, Setsuna ended up incredibly blessed in every stat except Speed...and she was still slightly worse than an average Takumi in everything but Speed and Res. Quick Draw and yumi let her still hit pretty hard, but unless you're specifically doing a run like this there's really no reason to ever use her, and she's even an awful mom thanks to her poor growths.

theshim
May 1, 2012

A fun thing about this chapter is if you're doing a Captured Units run, those Great Knights are your first promoted enemies you can capture (since you can never capture Invader units), and they're strong and beefy units that completely outclass everything up to that point and will last you a good long while.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Man, that Caeldori's gonna be a bit of a mess. I say pick her up and use her! :getin:

theshim
May 1, 2012

After the monstrous Orochi I had in my Bad Units Run I would have voted it go to her as well, but making Setsuna the goddess of stats she always deserved to be is fine too. :allears:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Caeldori (a dumb name) usually blows her father out of the water in basically every way, but with Orochi as a mom she's going to be really weird. I'm still kinda baffled at the design choice to include Awakening expys as child units on Birthright, it's just weird to me.

Unrelated, but I don't like the track Conquest, especially the part where it transitions into the main Fire Emblem theme.

theshim
May 1, 2012

This map is so weird. The first half is this huge open area where you're constantly trying to keep nasty paladins from clobbering your squishies, and then the second half is a ton of free exp and a bolt axe.

Fun fact: if you don't do any kid chapters, Daniela is the only non-generic you can capture in Birthright. She's...not very good. 14 magic at level 6 promoted means she's never going to hit anything worth a drat, and Savage Blow exists, I guess, but she's not going to do anything relevant with it. The most interesting thing about her is her weirdly high HP.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I think the single most damning thing about your writeup of Hinata is

midnight lasagna posted:

and Sky Knight just makes him Subaki but worse.
Which is impressive, because Subaki is awful enough as is. Hinata can be decently physically bulky but he brings nothing else to the table and is just generally bad in an uninteresting way.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Shiny777 posted:

There was a goon-made calculator for Gay Fates a few years back. Dug up the link for it here, though the actual numbers won't show up for me no matter which browser I open it in. I remember it working fine for me before, so no idea what the issue is there. No one else seems to have made one that I could find with a couple searches.
that is a powerful tinyurl

theshim
May 1, 2012

For some reason I really enjoy the Rainbow Sage chapter in Birthright. It's really easy and silly, but somehow enjoyable. :3:

theshim
May 1, 2012

This map wouldn't be quite so egregious if you hadn't done Leo's map before it. As is, it's just kinda...there.

theshim
May 1, 2012

midnight lasagna posted:

Everyone is on low health, I can't even reach the holes to plug them, and I don't know how many more of these there are going to me. Scarlet's In Extremis would be a lot more helpful if she didn't In Extremiss.
:dadjoke:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Mighty Midori!

theshim
May 1, 2012

For some reason my Selkies are always shitwreckers that put Kaden to shame. Dunno why, her base growths are a bit shaky on the offense, but she always comes out super strong for me. I like Selkie a lot.

theshim
May 1, 2012

This map just tends to result in a lot of corridor turtling thanks to Camilla. It's an okay map, I guess?

theshim
May 1, 2012

Kinda crazy how HP-averse your Mozu is. 30 hp at 20/15 is dire.

theshim
May 1, 2012

midnight lasagna posted:

Kevin's 20/4 averages: 30.5 HP, 11.7 STR, 21 MAG, 22.2 SKL, 21.1 SPD, 18.55 LCK, 12.8 DEF, 12.2 RES

Did anybody click on the Kevin Macleod music links I was posting at the start of each update? After a certain point I gave up trying to match them properly to the mood of the chapter I was playing or even making sure I wasn't using duplicates. Looking at Kevin's averages makes me think he was wasted in his role as a staff and pair-up bot, but rules are rules. Mostly I just regret not being able to cap his skill. I might want him to use the Hexing Rod on Garon still, he needs to be accurate!
I clicked on every one :buddy:

theshim
May 1, 2012

I don't think I've ever not one-turned this map with the Hexing Rod. The thought of dealing with that meatgrinder is awful.

theshim
May 1, 2012

midnight lasagna posted:

LPing Fire Emblem is tons of fun though. Maybe I'll be back soon. I do have a new idea in mind...
Would definitely read, your LPs have been a ton of fun. Well done and thanks for the LP!

theshim
May 1, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Revelations iirc suffers from a bunch of brand new people being thrown to the wolves to make its maps and…man, people might rightfully bitch about Fuga’s Wild Ride or the pacing of FE4 maps, but I think the map where you slowly shovel snow by attacking it and also you have like five deployment slots, and ALSO there’s hidden swag in the snow so you’re punished for beelining the boss, is a series low.
I don't know why but I don't mind that map. Like it's objectively a super slow and dumb map and there's a reason that everyone hates it, but for some inexplicable reason I find it kinda fun.

That said Rev also makes you do Fuga's Wild Ride super early and gently caress that map.

In short, Revelation is a land of contrasts.

theshim
May 1, 2012

It also includes the line "Fire the ice bomb!" which is amazingly dumb, but endearingly so :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

I'd say play it once for The Experience™ (and some of the cross-faction supports are actually pretty good!)

It really wears on you if you try to play it multiple times but once should let you get an appreciation for it, good and bad.