Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The nice thing about Saizo is that his kid is actually a perfectly valid mage if you want to go that route, so you can safely dump Felicia or Sakura onto him and come out with a decent Master Ninja/Onmyoji/Strategist Asugi. Orochi still screws up any kid because of how badly she dumps speed.

Oh, Orochi. Like, I want to say she's the worst mom, because even for the few kids that want her MAG growths, she sacks SPD, which is almost a death knell. Would be nice for Oni Chieftains... but Rhajat can do better since she actually has a SPD growth, and the only other kid with natural access to it is Hisame, who's very much not a mage. Her consolation is that she starts off better than Hayato, but honestly, she's bad. Even if you give her a speedy unit to pair up, she offers nothing in return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
One of the issues that Birthright has is its barrage of early game units, some of which are kinda bleh. You start chapter 7 with Jakob/Felicia, Azura, Kaze, Rinkah, Sakura, Hana and Subaki. By the end, you get Silas, Saizo and Orochi, and then in chapter 8 you get another four units (Hinoka, Azama, Setsuna, and then Hayato when you finish).

Conquest is not only better at spreading out the rate at which you get new units, but also balancing their join time with their power level. I think the only unit that's underlevelled at join time is Charlotte (and maybe Peri, but you can catch her up quickly if you wanted to). Meanwhile you get a level 3 Setsuna and a level 1 Hayato here.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hinoka is a really solid unit that's wasted on Birthright. Her aura would be amazing on Conquest (Sakura's too). Not that you need it, but her going Kinshi means that she can spread her aura better since she can plink enemies with arrows.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
On the other hand, Birthright also has baffling Heart Seal options. Saizo gets the exact same option as Kaze. Setsuna gets Ninja which is even worse at doing damage. You don't have a single first gen Apothecary but three units have it as a Heart Seal option, including Orochi who's pretty useless at it. Rinkah is the only way to spread Oni Savage since no 2nd gen kids start with that class, with the only exceptions being Hana (who can get it from marrying Hinata) and Orochi (who can get it by marrying Hayato).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, Azama being one of the best physical units is kinda baffling. His stats are fine, but he's still 'just a lance class' after promotion. Except despite everything he always turns out to be absurdly good and caps out with Renewal by endgame which makes him even better.

I think once I had him marry a Corrin with Wyvern talent. Wyvern Lord Azama is a terror.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hinata is yet another 'what if we took this unit, but upended their stat growths from their class?' unit. He's kinda like an Oni Savage in a Samurai class (which is fine, it's his Heart Seal option). Honestly he gets carried by his bases pretty hard, since even in Samurai there's a chance his Str and Spd will start falling behind. But he'll do better than Hana usually so he's your swordie til Ryoma, I guess.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hayato is reminiscent of Ricken in Awakening, except that Ricken was even worse, since he dumped Spd in exchange for Skl, in a game where Skl wasn't really that important.

He's alright. He's one of those units that can turn out good if you baby him a bit, and he does take less effort to become good late game compared to someone like Mozu or Hana. He's still not great, but in a game full of not great units, he's probably one of the better ones of the bad bunch.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Maribelle was really shaky herself. Lissa will naturally pick up Healtouch, which nullifies Maribelle's higher Mag for healing. She's so fragile that she really can't handle taking a hit from physical enemies, and even with her decent Spd/Luck I wouldn't count on her dodging enemies. She also comes right before a wave of desert maps that make her horse a bad option.

You can promote her early and she'll do okay, but her offenses are still kinda shaky. I've had some Maribelles turn out fine, but Lissa will usually turn out better and more consistently.

It's also worth remembering that Second Seal drops your level back down, so your Miriel had at least 24 levels of growth in her.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Tharja and Henry are fine, Tharja can get by a lot on Nosferatu. Henry too, though his accuracy and speed is a bit shakier. Lissa usually turns out alright for me since she's gonna level anyway passively, and then she can just get by doing snipe kills. She could get SPD-screwed, but I've usually had Lissa turn out decent.

Ricken is trash, the only mage that's as bad is Second Seal Virion (why). The only good thing his Second Seal options are for is giving him Luna. He's like Odin, but Odin at least performs okay in Dark Knight.

Laurent is generally poor because there's no dad that gives him everything he wants. He ideally wants MAG and SPD, but no dad gives both outside of Robin. The best you could do is just give him a speedy dad and let him loose on low RES enemies. He's got Dark Mage so he'll never be outright bad, but he's not as good as the job as the 1st gen ones without tunneling for it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Archers are also more useful in Conquest. In Birthright enemy fliers are usually wyverns, which have high Def at the cost of Res, while in Conquest you fight pegasi which are the opposite, so archers are much more likely to exploit them for easy kills. Archers also have weapon triangle advantage against ninjas, and there are definitely a few key maps where you face quite a few ninjas.

Finally, it's the competition. In Birthright Mozu has to deal with competition from Takumi, who pretty much blows away any other bow wielder. In Conquest there's Niles and Shura, both of who can have shaky Str growths. Every other bow option is either after promotion (Selena and Laslow), or a child unit.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's worth noting that if you give Takumi access to Samurai (via Ryoma, Hinata or Hana), he gets a unique Swordmaster skin based on his father.

Not that it's really worth doing, but hey. Sakura also gets a unique Priestess skin based on her mom, but hers is way easier to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cythereal posted:

Also if you do grinding maps, you can marry Scarlet and have a child with her in between the mission where she joins and the immediate next mission where she dies.

That's... actually kinda amazing? I'm surprised they didn't just lock out supports with her, but I guess it's the same as Kaze.

Walla posted:

Wait, you're using Scarlet but not Reina? That's a drat travesty. Also wow, Hayato sucks.

Rinkah does exceedingly well as a Chieftain. I think the class gives her around 10 magic at base and she will shred some fools with a rat spirit.

The Oni line is so weird and I feel like almost any unit can make use of either of the promotion classes in some way. You're either a not-Hero, or just a weird mixed attacker.