Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Wait, are you going to use both Hayato and Orochi? People thought the Nohrian mages were bad.

Also I hope you're using Subaki because he's a good guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I always use Rinkah. And Subaki actually. The 2 of them have never turned out horrible. At worst they're simply mediocre, and sometimes they can surprise you.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The only problem with Archer Hana is that Birthright absolutely throws archers at you. Setsuna, Takumi and Reina all in the early game, plus Hinoka and Subaki can promote into Kinshi, and 3 units who can seal into Apothecary, and 3 ninjas for mechanist, and Yukimura and Shura. Also Sakura for good measure. Ninja is a better class for her anyway since she can still use swords and will probably end up faster and stronger than Saizo.

Subaki is a lot like Odin. He's not great, but he's solid in several of the early game chapters and only really falls off after you have Reina and Scarlet. I generally use him in place of Silas. Setsuna is a perfect pairing for him and both make respectable kinshis.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Carlosologist posted:

Hana would be a clear contender for best unit in a game with a 2RN hit chance

Even though Birthright throws a ton of ninjas at you, Master Ninja Hana sounds like a good time?

I guess it does sound a little contradictory.

I've never had good luck with Saizo or Kagero. Both are a little slow when they join and struggle to reliably double. Also Vantage Master Ninja is a thing and Hana uses fewer resources to get there. She'll double more reliably than Saizo and hit almost as hard as Kagero, and Vantage plus effective weaponry makes her shaky durability more manageable. Also also, she'll probably have C swords if you wait to get Vantage which will let her use the best swords as a Master Ninja.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

My only real problem with Saizo is by the time he shows up Kaze is level 9 and can double most enemies with the steel shuriken. He does put in solid work in chapters 9 & 10, and Birthright chapter 10 is a significant challenge compared to the rest of the route.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

It's mostly a Birthright thing. I imagine the philosophy is since you can freely grind then they don't need to worry as much about balance. I think Hayato is the last though. The next 3 chapters give you 3 of the best non-royals in the game, and you have a full roster by Chapter 14 except for Jakob, Izana, Shura and Yukimura.

Azama and Setsuna are 2 of my favorite units in the game. A 10/1 Great Master Azama will legitimately carry you through the mid game easily until you reach Wolfskin Peak at least. Similarly, a 10/1 Kinshi Knight Setsuna is essentially a player phase Reina and will easily perform well through the late game.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I did an all Heart Seal run on Conquest once, and everyone was pretty viable. Trying to do the same on Birthright was just painful.

Edit: Chapter 7 on Birthright with Ninja Rinkah, Samurai Kaze and Pegasus Azura is painful.

Also on the list of poor decisions is Oboro is your only Spear Fighter. Takumi can pass it to Setsuna and Hinoka could give it to Subaki. Orochi and Azama can also share Apothecary with Hayato and Sakura, and now I'm thinking Subaki and Hayato might be competent in those roles.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 11, 2021

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I always want to make Azama a Spear Fighter. I think he'd be good at it, and he and Oboro with Renewal seems like a good time. Also Apothecary being slow isn't too much of a problem since Azama will be strong wnough to nearly one ahot everything.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

That's just a bad Subaki. His strength should be around 11 or 12 by now. This map is why I always use him at least through the mid game. He and Hinoka can easily handle the entire south section, especially if you position Reina properly for attack stance snipes.

Reina is the best Pegasus in the game. She starts with more strength than a 20/1 Hinoka and more speed than Subaki, and she remains useful all the way to end game. Setsuna as a Kinshi can almost match her speed and will be stronger on player phase, but it will still take her 4 more chapters to get there.

Also I've never seen Orochi with that much speed.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Mozu is fine. If you like growth units, she snowballs hard. In Conquest she rocks because she can pass around Archer to 3 other units and you can end up with a bunch of units with Quick Draw. Even in Birthright she's pretty decent since she can marry Hinata for Samurai skills after promotion and pick up Spear Fighter from Oboro and be a speedy tank with 3 seal skills. Those first 9 levels are a bit of a chore though.

Also I feel like I'm the only one who always makes Kaze a Mechanist. It's his best class option.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I've never had good luck with Kaden. Keaton is a range-locked barbarian who can be a decent bruiser and tank. Kaden is a range-locked ninja made to kill horses who dies to 2 hits. It doesn't help that it's another 3 maps before he gets any damage upgrades either. His heart seal option is mage I think and his growth and base are atrocious. I guess you could marry him off to Oboro or Rinkah for something weird but I just don't bother with him.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Wait, you're using Scarlet but not Reina? That's a drat travesty. Also wow, Hayato sucks.

Rinkah does exceedingly well as a Chieftain. I think the class gives her around 10 magic at base and she will shred some fools with a rat spirit.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Scarlet is awesome. She's basically a royal, especially in a run where those are banned. I think there's few characters who can even reach her raw stats at level 20.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

So you want Oboro to be Rhajat's mother. :D

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Caeldori is one of the few kids I go for in every run, if only for the free Swordbreaker. Plus fliers are probably at their best in this route, kinshis are broken and I have had runs where my offense was primarily Hinoka, Subaki, Reina, Setsuna and Caeldori. All on birds.

Also I just realized I have never made Azama a flier. I need to fix that.

Edit: Also Oboro's hair on Rjajat is good, and she turns out to be a competent Basara. Also you can stack 3 decent seal skills on her for magical ranged defuffing.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 29, 2021

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm not entirely sure how you'd accomplish this, since I'm pretty sure male units can't be mothers, but good to know, I guess...?

Someone hasn't heard of the gay Fates patch.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Selena being Caeldori's mother is the only good thing in Revelation.

Caeldori is a decent unit in a great class, but she's hampered by how common that class type is in Birthright. She's usually your 4th best flier to start, and she might aspire to being the second best by endgame.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

You should always use Scarlet. And Reina. Always.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Also, the debuffs from Silver weapons should activate on Player Phase, so you can use them when baiting an enemy and switch to something else when attacking. They're still not worth the money though.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Kagero is another one I've never done much with. She's too slow and fragile, and she's rarely strong enough to one shot anything. Maybe I'll give her a shot in my current Conquest run.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

midnight lasagna posted:

This map is going to become a giant moshpit of Faceless, so undeploying your weaklings is a pretty viable strategy - there's not much terrain to hide behind, and anybody who's not KOing the Faceless that attack them is arguably a detriment. In fact I'm pretty sure if you only deployed an untrained Ryoma and paired Corrin with them and turned on autobattle you'd win with no other input.

This is correct, since that's how I handle this map.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I usually play with no Royal weapons or no Royals, and Ryoma is just an awesome pre-promote without the Rajinto. In my Conquest run I'm thinking of trying him as a Kinshi, because a flying Ryoma with a bow has to be insane.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

You may as well use Kana. Girl Kana is the best and she isn't going to be spectacular. Hell, she's basically a knight who can never double and is range-locked. She's basically an extra bit of challenge.

Also marrying Scarlet is a bit of a waste if you don't use her daughter.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Berserker Scarlet with Death Blow and Awakening would be ugly. It's all possible to get, but the grind would be insane.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I've said it before, but both characters are fine without their special swords. They're still incredibly strong, but the stat boosts and infinite 1-2 range are what makes them broken. Take their special toys away and they're just a really good pre-promote. I often handicap myself by immediately reclassing them and taking their swords away.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

midnight lasagna posted:

Perhaps one day I'll try a reclassed Xander and Ryoma, but I think I'd still keep their weapons in their inventory just for the stat boosts. Although I'd be more willing to take Ryoma's Rajinto away in a version of Birthright that's a bit less dense with enemies towards the end of the game. I wonder if they'd still be the best users of their respective weapons if they weren't locked to just them?

They wouldn't be. Saizo or Silas would make better use of either weapon. How broken unrestricted 1-2 range really is begins to become apparent when you start messing with mods. The Hoshidan Conquest mod has Hinoka replace Camilla's recruitment, and she's given similar bases. She also has an Iron Nagiyari and is possibly better at soloing chapter 10 than Camilla herself.

Zoran posted:

The funny thing is that in Conquest, Xander ends up being better in Wyvern Lord than in a sword class for a stretch of about 4-6 chapters beginning with Kitsune Lair.

There's really no reason to take Xander out of WL. Unrestricted Elbow Room is a decent trade for losing Siegfried and Trample is better than anything he'll get from the Cavalier line.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

LiefKatano posted:

Elbow Room doesn't always activate if you're a flier. It specifically says it checks the tile you're on, rather than if you're receiving the benefits of it.

Also Trample's a Malig Knight skill, not Wyvern Lord - Wyvern Lords get Rally Defense and Swordbreaker.

poo poo, I mixed my classes up. Still, 2 levels of Malig Knight is worth it, and Swordbreaker is still better than anything from Paladin or GK.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

That was fun. Birthright kind of sucks even if I do like the characters.

See you in Revelation. :)