Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Oh boy, going again, huh. I am quite fond of Setsuna and Rinkah, so this is already off to a promising start. Birthright's cast is... significantly less interesting or fun as a whole compared to Conquest's, but there are highlights around, and there are three of the kids I like a whole lot. (I... still primarily hang out in Terrible Balance And Map Design land if I want to use them for cross-country supports and just give up any pretense of not grinding to make my paper dolls kiss.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

I've used Reina! She is in fact rather fragile as time goes on and WOULD like stat boosters, but she's largely very competent and her design stands out and the like.

She's also one of the characters that arguably most benefits from the Gay Fates hack, in that people who look at her and think she's cool and interesting write her support chains when she previously only ever had one, so there's foundation but an absolute boatload of exploratory real estate. The chain with Beruka in Revelation is remarkably heartwarming.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

I always forget about Marcath and its arbitrary illnesses. It's just a deeply pointless interlude on both routes. At least in Conquest it's where Peri and Laslow join, so you get a boon?

I definitely didn't know that about Mozu and Oboro being the same height. Fully agreed, their portraits make them look like they have much more of a difference.

Tales From Gay Fates unit notes from the last analysis: You know who's actually a very appropriate mother for Rhajat it's slightly surprising wasn't an option in canon Revelation? Elise! Pair up the two "the game is very insistent you know they're legally adults and it's Not Weird, Okay" mages, and you get a Rhajat who can best be described as a magic nuke even more than Ophelia. Plus if you're feeling ambitious you can let her inherit one of the Malig Knight skills. (In terms of actual pairings, her S with Selkie is a nice capstone and her fully original chain with Sophie is really very sweet. She tries to hex Avel into obedience and passivity because she's worried he's going to legitimately kill his rider one of these days.)

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Ventadour posted:

I considered doing this but I balked at Elise's bad skill hurting Rhajat's even more, was that a big issue? What class did you stick her in? If I want to use Rhajat I make Sakura her mother, personally.

You know, you'd think it'd be an issue, but even tossing just one secret book at her makes her accuracy perfectly serviceable. It's not that big a dip in growth. And even then, the pairing can only happen in Revelation, which means access to more freebies and both types of shops in My Castle, so there's really nothing stopping you from setting up a +2 or +3 Thunder tome for her to use by the time you grab her.

You can also pass her (or have her pick up) Death Blow from Oni Chieftan and turn her into a crit machine even with lower skill that expected, which is good fun. I tossed her around a little, but really, she wants to be in her natural Onmyouji state by the end.

Anyway, Kagero! She's cool! She feels wasted in Ninja, obviously, but also having someone with her level of strength hurling 1-2 range weapons with no drawback is really nice. Not a bad candidate for Dread Fighter if you're using the DLC classes; it won't help her skill but it will give her more weapon options while not cutting off her shuriken access. Has the interesting quirk of being a rare FE character who's exes with another playable character; she and Saizo broke up years ago to better focus on their duties. She also used to be one of Mikoto's retainers but swapped over to look after Ryoma, so she's got a pre-established very sweet friendship with Orochi.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Bogart posted:

Gay Fates is supposed to add new supports for all the Corrinlovers, isn't it?

Shiny777 posted:

It added a fair few options for them, yeah. Don't recall what else Scarlet got from it or know what else might have been added for her since I last played with it, but I know it gave her a Ryoma support and she makes a pretty solid mom for Shiro.

In addition to being able to marry F!Corrin and Ryoma, between the base mod and the unofficial continuation/add-on, Gay Fates also gives her romance/support with Felicia, Oboro, Orochi, and Jakob with a P/C support with Dwyer.

I admittedly haven't seen much of them in action because that would involve playing Birthright again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

Selkie! Probably my favorite Hoshido character. She deserves the world.

You're generally not wrong about her mechanically, but if her other parent is properly strong they generally make sure her relevant offense is always plenty good. And she's very speedy and skillful. So you'll just generally end up with a good and reliable unit with wider skill and class access than her dad, who really doesn't have the chops to make Diviner stuff work for him regardless. On my most recent Gay Fates run, I made her other dad Benny, which gave her some nice family supports... at the cost of basically getting rid of her highlight, because she and Benny actually have the same hair color. It also gave her some nice beef in Str and Def, obviously.

I find it generally IS a good idea to have her swing into Basara for a little bit, because her tendency to double and usually perfectly solid skill mean she'll trigger Rend Heaven plenty, which can definitely help if her offenses aren't overwhelming. It also does something fun with a VERY slight mechanical niche she has. Namely, there are only two characters in the game who can provide a +3 Luck support bonus: Anna and Selkie, with Selkie being the one with way more support options even if Anna has wider reach with a support hack. Basara is the only class to provide +5 Luck in pair-up support, and unlike Anna, Selkie's got Basara access built in. As such, if you want to run some sort of weird luck-based gimmick build, especially on a child unit like Midori or Kiragi, Basara Selkie is the support partner who can provide them the biggest boost.