Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There's a ton of great info in the OP but I'm dumb so I'm just gonna ask. I need to do a video for class. I also have some ideas for Yotube videos, so rather than just record the video with my webcam I want to do it up proper as a test to see if I like making videos. What camera and microphone should I buy?

I don't want to stream or do anything fancy, I literally just want to do shots exactly like this but in color

I'm willing to spend a reasonable amount of money on this in case it does end up becoming a hobby, but I'm not planning on making making videos my job or anything so I'm not looking to pay professional amounts of money. Just a solid camera and microphone so I look better than my classmates who are recording their zooms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Gripweed posted:

There's a ton of great info in the OP but I'm dumb so I'm just gonna ask. I need to do a video for class. I also have some ideas for Yotube videos, so rather than just record the video with my webcam I want to do it up proper as a test to see if I like making videos. What camera and microphone should I buy?

Just a solid camera and microphone so I look better than my classmates who are recording their zooms

Camera is least of your worries. You can film just fine with your smart phone for video because the quality is pretty good these days. If you really want to get a dedicated camera, I'd suggest picking up a second hand DSLR with a flip screen.

If you want to spend money, spend it on good audio. EposVox and Harris Heller (Alpha Gaming) both do comprehensive gear reviews on this point. Channel Makers recommend a lav mic for most consistent results.

https://youtu.be/9Jy40ZD8teM

That's it. Spend the rest of your time and money on thumbnail, title and content. If your content is good, people will forgive a small channel/creator for lacking high production values.

Canon 600D with a Rode Video Micro and the standard kit lens is what I use. Sometimes if I'm too lazy to set it up, I stick with my Logitech webcam and Apple earbuds. It didn't stop people who enjoy my content from watching, no one even remarked on it.

I'm closing in on 50 uploads and 700 subs right now. I can tell you nobody has ever complained about the video footage quality, even though I've had plenty of blurry/out of focus/badly framed shots.

But people have complained about :
- bad audio/bad audio mixing
- jarring editing
- bad thumbnails

My audio still sucks though I've done a bit of sound treatment now and spend more time on sound mixing. At 1k subs I will probably bite the bullet and get the lav mic.

Improving thumbnails has made a huge difference for me. I just had a video take off for my channel which brought in a huge influx of new audience. It would not have happened if I hadn't nailed the thumbnail.

Leng fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 26, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Man I bought my phone at a Cricket store, it was one of the cheapest ones they had. I think it's a Samesung. It does not produce good video. That's why I'm asking about a camera, because my non-dedicated camera machines that do have cameras, my phone and my laptop, have very bad cameras.

It looks like the Canon 600D was discontinued a decade ago. On the Canon website it says the modern equivalent is the Canon 850D, which is 1,000 dollars. Which is too many dollars. Are there any decent camera options for, like, a quarter of that?

In that video the guy recommends the Tascam DR-10L, which is 200 dollars. Which is a more reasonable amount of dollars. But as I said, I don't need it to be portable. I can't imagine what I'd even do with the portability. And I'm kinda in favor of visible stand up mic for aesthetic reasons, like this

Gripweed posted:

I literally just want to do shots exactly like this but in color

So are there any decent standup mics that could work?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Gripweed posted:

It looks like the Canon 600D was discontinued a decade ago. On the Canon website it says the modern equivalent is the Canon 850D, which is 1,000 dollars. Which is too many dollars. Are there any decent camera options for, like, a quarter of that?

If your phone can't do passable video, then a point-and-shoot camera, like a Canon Powershot or a Nikon Coolpix, would probably be your best bet. They sell them in a range of models, so just verify that the one you're looking at does 1080p video. I don't believe that most (if any) of them have a line-in port for audio however, so you'll need to sync that after the fact.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Man I bought my phone at a Cricket store, it was one of the cheapest ones they had. I think it's a Samesung. It does not produce good video. That's why I'm asking about a camera, because my non-dedicated camera machines that do have cameras, my phone and my laptop, have very bad cameras.

Maybe look into a bang-for-buck phone that specifically has a good camera? That way, if it turns out this isn't for you, you still have a decent phone.

https://www.creativebloq.com/features/best-budget-camera-phones

Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro sounds like it fits your needs and budget.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Gripweed posted:

So are there any decent standup mics that could work?

The Canon 600D is still kicking around, but you need to get them secondhand. I got mine on Facebook marketplace for $400, which was $250 for the body and $150 for the lens kit.

There are loads of standup mics. Blue Yeti is the all round favorite these days I think but they are pricey. You can go for something much cheaper though. Here's Harris Heller reviewing cheap USB mics that mostly cost less than $50 with an audio engineer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScV5tP8rbt8

Baronash posted:

If your phone can't do passable video, then a point-and-shoot camera, like a Canon Powershot or a Nikon Coolpix, would probably be your best bet. They sell them in a range of models, so just verify that the one you're looking at does 1080p video. I don't believe that most (if any) of them have a line-in port for audio however, so you'll need to sync that after the fact.

Seconding this. 1080p is the minimum resolution you'll want to shoot at. If you use Davinci Resolve for editing (free), it has a nice little audio sync feature based on waveform which is pretty painless.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Baronash posted:

My old rear end was just assuming that you needed a dedicated video camera, I never would've thought about regular cameras, thanks

Leng posted:

The Canon 600D is still kicking around, but you need to get them secondhand. I got mine on Facebook marketplace for $400, which was $250 for the body and $150 for the lens kit.

There are loads of standup mics. Blue Yeti is the all round favorite these days I think but they are pricey. You can go for something much cheaper though. Here's Harris Heller reviewing cheap USB mics that mostly cost less than $50 with an audio engineer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScV5tP8rbt8

Seconding this. 1080p is the minimum resolution you'll want to shoot at. If you use Davinci Resolve for editing (free), it has a nice little audio sync feature based on waveform which is pretty painless.

This is great, thanks

Megazver posted:

Maybe look into a bang-for-buck phone that specifically has a good camera? That way, if it turns out this isn't for you, you still have a decent phone.

https://www.creativebloq.com/features/best-budget-camera-phones

Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro sounds like it fits your needs and budget.

I used to have an iPhone, but I destroyed it an embarrassing way and ever since then I haven't been willing to spend a lot of money on a phone.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Gripweed posted:

My old rear end was just assuming that you needed a dedicated video camera, I never would've thought about regular cameras, thanks

This is great, thanks

I used to have an iPhone, but I destroyed it an embarrassing way and ever since then I haven't been willing to spend a lot of money on a phone.

Well, that one is ~$250, which is why I suggested it.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Leng posted:

My last upload was the first one I made with the deliberate hopes of it taking off. By now, pretty much most of the planet will have heard Brandon Sanderson's latest Kickstarter has now become the most funded Kickstarter in history.

This video took me three attempts to draft before I could land on something that worked and was reasonably coherent. The next thing from here is to do a bunch more videos off this event which is going to be tough to get right. But hopefully I can get out of my recent slump of bad videos with this and finally cross over 500 subs. That's my goal!

An update: so that video did not take off. The one that DID take off was the one I did the following week. For the first three days it was performing okay, but not great, and then 3 days in, the algorithm just started pushing it out. It's been out for 4 weeks now and is at 16.9k views and added 131 subs, which is just insane for a channel my size (I was about 480 subs before I posted it).

I suspect it took off because of a combination of factors:

1. Timely - everybody was talking about the Sanderson Kickstarter so slews of videos were just going up everywhere. 80% of my traffic came from browse, with another 10% from suggest.

2. The topic was money, so it had broad appeal, beyond just my normal audience

3. The way I approached the video. The sheer amount of money was what got everybody was talking, but nobody was actually analyzing the money itself. I think it's because most of the reaction videos were either authors who already had a mental map of how the money broke down (and therefore this wasn't news; I pretty much thought the same and nearly didn't do this video for that reason...I didn't think anyone would find it that interesting), or they were people who aren't authors and aren't necessarily readers so they don't know anything about publishing and so couldn't really comment knowledgeably on it

Things were busy so I did a 2 hour livestream the week in lieu of a normal video and that livestream also did REALLY well, with 22 concurrents and 3 subs (it's been getting replays too, LOTS of replays).

The follow up video the week has nearly 3.5k views over 2 weeks and gave me another 51 subs, far above my expectations. Thank goodness, because it was the hardest video I've ever tried to make. I had 3 goes at filming it, an insane amount of raw footage and still had no idea what that video was going to be like until I got around to editing it. I was STILL filming more footage as I was editing things together. I also made a deliberate effort to try and weave in more storytelling, a lot of it with a personal connection element, alongside my analysis.

I crossed 800 subs last week, which is kind of wild. I was worried about getting too narrow though because I had done 3 Sanderson-related videos in a row, so I deliberately veered and posted a vlog for my last video. It's a 4/10 which is as good as I can expect, because the top 3 videos are all Sanderson Kickstarter related. My metric for this one is as long as it's doing better than my previous uploads, I'm happy. I'll go back to doing another heavy analysis video for my next upload but I am gonna have to take a break for this week with the school holidays.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Looks like YouTube is moving in on TubeBuddy and VidIQ territory. I just logged into Analytics in Studio and found a RESEARCH tab. It includes 3 pages of aggregated search terms from my viewers.

I don't target search much, but this is going to be so useful. Can't wait to see what other capabilities YouTube is going to add in over time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Here is a pretty good video from a non YouTube education guy talking about the business of YouTube:
https://youtu.be/fDxs5Y13rlk

Lots of good advice there but the one thing that I agree with the most is quality over quantity.

I like Channel Makers a lot but the one piece of advice that they make a core part of their program is to post twice a week and I could not disagree with it more.

I understand their basis for it, but seriously, it hurts more than it helps if you actually have done your homework and know what you're doing content wise or if your videos take a long time to make.

Putting out a video just for the sake of hitting an arbitrary upload deadline is not good. It's different if you have no clue what you're doing and you need to experiment but if you do know your niche and audience, every video that you make that you don't believe in damages your channel.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Another great resource for anybody who is super confused by audio mixing and mastering (and I cannot for the life of me remember if the two mean the same or different things because I am not an audio nerd).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp-6F8SWFSY

I unfortunately film in a room with a lot of hard surfaces so it's echo city galore. This DaVinci Resolve tutorial was great in walking through how to eliminate a lot of the echo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w9doIcnMCk

And this one was great for optimizing the overall audio for YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp-6F8SWFSY

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Great resources, thank you!

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Newcomer in the YouTube education space, Jon Dorman, is making some really great vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4EGeonO6YI

I like this one, because it's focusing on the idea of quality over quantity, which most YouTube education channels are still pushing as the default method, including Channel Makers. And the advice given to focus on getting killer ideas is a good one, though it's hard to apply if you have very little experience with making content. I can definitely point to a handful of videos on my channel contributing to most of my growth, and the incremental effort for doing those videos is pretty spot on: they don't take 10-20x the input, more like 2-5x but the results in terms of channel growth are well beyond 20x.

Not sure how I'm gonna implement this yet. There are still things I want to talk about and that are interesting to me that don't necessarily drive a lot of traffic, which might just be a question of framing the idea differently.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What's a good easy free simple video editing software?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Resolve is the best by far, although it has a bunch of weirdnesses to it.

NickThorn
Jan 11, 2005

I'm fucking wild about KEYKEYs.
My friends and I have been running a channel for about 5 years now.
The channel is called Moderately Neato http://www.youtube.com/moderatelyneato

We primarily focus on movie reviews, horror franchise deep dives (Fright Fight) but occasionally do shows about junk food (Priced to Move), or just VHS dumps of old commercials or weird documentaries that haven't been released otherwise.
Recently our biggest show is Licence to Swill where we pair Spy movies with cocktails and review them based on a set of categories to establish our thoughts on the film. We stick to about a video a month which has been falling wider and wider into a gap because I keep seeing the views capping at 100 with limited comments or likes and it just feels like a waste of time. We aren't looking to get rich, we just want a reasonably creative outlet and think we can be entertaining in offering our insights on the movies.

Analytics:

Any suggestions or crits would be greatly appreciated.

NickThorn fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 6, 2022

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

NickThorn posted:

My friends and I have been running a channel for about 5 years now.
The channel is called Moderately Neato http://www.youtube.com/moderatelyneato

We stick to about a video a month which has been falling wider and wider into a gap because I keep seeing the views capping at 100 with limited comments or likes and it just feels like a waste of time. We aren't looking to get rich, we just want a reasonably creative outlet and think we can be entertaining in offering our insights on the movies.

I had a quick look over your channel and, without actually watching any of the videos, here are my thoughts/questions:
  • Search and external is making up close to 50% of your views. That's...not great, unless you are in a niche where there is high search traffic. How many people are actually searching for the kinds of content you make? If you can't tap into browse/suggest traffic, you can't get the YouTube recommendation system working for you...and that's the easiest way to get views.
  • Your most popular videos are from 5 years ago when you were doing the retro commercials. Do these still get views or have they flatlined?
  • Assuming you get the click: what does your retention normally look like? If your retention is good, then the problem is with your thumbnails and titles. But if your retention isn't great either, it's time to reassess your content strategy.
  • Titles: I get that you do a lot of episodes in a series and you are utilizing playlists which is good. But you are using up the best real estate in your titles with things like episode numbers and the series name. If you must put it in the title for SEO, put all that stuff at the back, and reserve the first 40 characters for a video specific title
  • Thumbnails: these are very, very busy. Too much text, including text that already exists in the video's title, and too many visual elements going on without anything to help guide me on where to look.

Let's break down this thumbnail to start:

When you look at it full screen, you can see everything fine. Shrink it down to thumbnail size and I can see: a guy, a movie poster (but all the elements are far too small and it's before my time so it's not a recognizable movie post for me), then there are a bunch of guns in the background (because...James Bond, I guess?), but then there's a random top hat flying off in one corner, some sort of briefcase that's obscured by the series name, plus a logo, plus some alcohol bottles obscured by the movie poster, as WELL as episode and series text.

That's eight elements in the thumbnail. EIGHT.

All of them are competing with each other. I don't know where to look - is it at the guy? The text? The movie poster? Who knows? I think I'd probably read the text, and then try to puzzle out what's behind the text. I supposed I'd go the movie poster, but it's too tiny to read, so then I look at the guy, but his expression is kind of blank, but his hand is up doing something, so then I look at the hat. I can't connect the hat to something important so the next obvious thing is the guns because of the green board contrasting with the orange thumbnail background, but there's nothing interesting about the guns themselves so at that point I look at the title. The title doesn't give me any extra information on why I should watch the video, so I scroll past and go to another video.

I would go and study the thumbnails of bigger channels in your niche. I don't know how similar their content is to yours, but just look at how Screenrant does their thumbnails:
https://www.youtube.com/c/ScreenRant/videos and let's take this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6hTPAirkYM) as an example:

This thumbnail tells a visual story. It uses two words: "MOVIE" and "COMIC" and it lays them at the top of a side-by-side image of the same character as a screenshot from the movie and from the comic book. Immediately, I understand that this video is going to be some sort of comparison of the movie and the comic for this character, even if I have no idea who this character is. The Screenrant logo is in the bottom left corner and I would argue it is superfluous because you'll always see the channel name directly underneath the thumbnail and title, but it seems to be a branding decision they've made across the channel. At least they've kept it relatively small and unobtrusive, and it doesn't get in the way of any of the other visual elements.

Now the title. "Everything They Changed About Scarlet Witch From The Comics". On mobile, this would get cut off, but I can still read "Everything They Changed About Scarlet Witch" which is the most important. "From The Comics" is not needed at all, I assume they must have put it there for SEO reasons.

As a potential viewer, this is intriguing. What exactly did they change? Was the change better or worse? How big were the changes? This would appeal to me, whether I've seen the movie or read the comics or both.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Thank you for this thread OP. I've been playing with the idea quitting my traditional job to do art in my basement and this thread is a gold mine of information I did not consider.

Do you have any advice / metric information for the channel name itself? Should a channel name be clear about the channel's niche / content, or does the thumbnail and content matter more?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
It can help, but it can also limit you. A lot of YouTube channels rebrand as they get bigger, and what you'll often see is that they go from a channel name that's very tied to their niche to something more general (and usually more associated with their personal brand).

Don't forget you can indicate niche with your channel banner art and in your title/thumbnails too.

But at the beginning, I wouldn't stress too much about this. Focus on making content and focus on making your content as good as you can.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I've been streaming on twitch for coming up to two years now, and am doing kinda okay with it (not making enough to live on, by any means, but absolutely making enough to upgrade my kit etc), and the OP has immediately made me think "Oh god I'm wasting my time I should be doing this on YouTube instead", so drat, that's a well-written and carefully put together post!

I know there's a bunch of stuff I should be doing to help grow it - like editing things for youtube/posting related tik toks etc - but I'm just...not. Then again, the main thing that I stream is cryptic crosswords, and I suspect that's just on the wrong side of niche to actually make anything big of it.

I'm currently at 1780 ish followers, and generally have an average of 40-50 viewers, streaming weekday lunchtimes (UK time). Someone kindly made me a channel intro video, which I'm currently using, but that's something else I should probably sit down and actually plan out.

I think I'm getting a bit antsy because the hours streamed is approaching the total followers, and that's going to give me The Bad Chemicals when it does. I mean, it was always going to, but it kinda feels like a weirdly not great mile stone, you know?

If anyone has any thoughts/experience of this sort of slump I'd be very happy to hear them!

The account is https://twitch.tv/brainmage, if anyone's curious.

My most recent bit of tarting it up has been getting a secondhand Fuji X-T20 camera and an Elgato camlink, which I'm excited to get setup and working, because hoo boy does that look better than the old camera I've been using!

https://twitter.com/Brainmage/status/1535956206119968774

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Flint_Paper posted:

I've been streaming on twitch for coming up to two years now, and am doing kinda okay with it (not making enough to live on, by any means, but absolutely making enough to upgrade my kit etc), and the OP has immediately made me think "Oh god I'm wasting my time I should be doing this on YouTube instead", so drat, that's a well-written and carefully put together post!

I know there's a bunch of stuff I should be doing to help grow it - like editing things for youtube/posting related tik toks etc - but I'm just...not. Then again, the main thing that I stream is cryptic crosswords, and I suspect that's just on the wrong side of niche to actually make anything big of it.

I'm currently at 1780 ish followers, and generally have an average of 40-50 viewers, streaming weekday lunchtimes (UK time). Someone kindly made me a channel intro video, which I'm currently using, but that's something else I should probably sit down and actually plan out.

You're doing really well! Building a stream audience is hard. And if you're streaming daily, it is really exhausting to try make the extra stuff. I did 6-8 hours of daily streams for NaNoWriMo last year, and trying to film a weekly vlog on top of that (which was essentially a highlights of my streams with some extra footage) burned me out after that month.

If you're making enough from your streaming to upgrade your gear, then maybe consider hiring an editor from Fiverr etc to help you make those stream highlights. Harris Heller swears by the investment he made in his editor, because it freed him up to make more content. And you never know with YouTube. If you have an audience for what you're streaming, chances are there's an audience on YouTube for it. You just might have to change up the format of how you package it into videos to get it to appeal to people. Like...Disguised Toast has a bunch of videos on Wordle and Wordle variants that have done well.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Any resources for royalty-free music that can be used in the background for videos? The "royalty-free" music YouTube channels seem suspiciously rampant.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

TVGM posted:

Any resources for royalty-free music that can be used in the background for videos? The "royalty-free" music YouTube channels seem suspiciously rampant.

The most widely used one I've seen in my circles is DOVA Syndrome, which lets you use music for basically anything (short of redistributing the music itself) free with basically no conditions attached at all. You used to have to credit them, but they don't even ask for that anymore.
https://dova-s.jp/EN/

If you'd prefer a more focused set, I use music from UTALive's Virtual Sounds Pack, which is free for streamers to use (with credit) for streams and videos.
https://utalive.pro/#viso

I've heard that these sites all provide royalty-free music for streamers as well, but haven't used any of them myself:
https://www.streemtunes.com/
https://streamtasticaltunes.com/
https://www.imunobeats.com/
https://backingtrack.gg/
https://streamwavesrecords.com/

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

Yam Slacker

Vizuyos posted:

The most widely used one I've seen in my circles is DOVA Syndrome, which lets you use music for basically anything (short of redistributing the music itself) free with basically no conditions attached at all. You used to have to credit them, but they don't even ask for that anymore.
https://dova-s.jp/EN/

If you'd prefer a more focused set, I use music from UTALive's Virtual Sounds Pack, which is free for streamers to use (with credit) for streams and videos.
https://utalive.pro/#viso

I've heard that these sites all provide royalty-free music for streamers as well, but haven't used any of them myself:
https://www.streemtunes.com/
https://streamtasticaltunes.com/
https://www.imunobeats.com/
https://backingtrack.gg/
https://streamwavesrecords.com/

Thank you so much!

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

TVGM posted:

I use the ones from the YouTube Audio library.

There's also Stream Beats:
https://www.streambeats.com/

The founder of Stream Beats was one of the biggest Twitch streamers to switch over to YouTube and has a YouTube education channel with a livestream focus as well, which is pretty nice.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
On editing: Hillier Smith, who is the pro editor behind so many of the biggest YouTube channels around, has his own channel where he does crits on YouTube edits.

He just dropped this video teardown of ZHC's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz-fsMaO2-g

It is an amazing masterclass in how to do better storytelling in videos.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

Yam Slacker
Thanks to this thread's advice, I launched a new channel today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CUaKWu65VY

I've been buying equipment and shooting my art projects with phone cameras for months, but I hunkered down and started actually editing a video last month. The editing process was incredibly time consuming to learn, but also very rewarding.

I initially had a 10+ minute version with voiceover explaining what I was doing and when I showed it to my editor friend they almost instantly stopped it and pointed out that my voice didn't sound natural because I was voicing it a sentence or paragraph at a time with no consistency. They also pointed out redundant footage that was hurting the pacing.

So I basically redid it and threw the idea of voiceover out the window, which was a huge relief. I also focused on quicker cuts to get the overall time down. It took way longer to finish, but I wanted a mostly-solid foundation to start from.

Thanks again for all your help!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Leng posted:

On editing: Hillier Smith, who is the pro editor behind so many of the biggest YouTube channels around, has his own channel where he does crits on YouTube edits.

He just dropped this video teardown of ZHC's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz-fsMaO2-g

It is an amazing masterclass in how to do better storytelling in videos.

This is very good and definitely worth a watch even if you don't make/aren't looking to make those kinds of videos.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

TVGM posted:

Thanks to this thread's advice, I launched a new channel today!

Congrats on launching the new channel! Nice first video, it's great you've got an editor friend to bounce ideas off. You're off to a great start.

I've updated the OP with a link to your channel page rather than the video (just so we don't screw up the YouTube algorithm for you).

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Leng posted:

Congrats on launching the new channel! Nice first video, it's great you've got an editor friend to bounce ideas off. You're off to a great start.

I've updated the OP with a link to your channel page rather than the video (just so we don't screw up the YouTube algorithm for you).

I'm curious about this. Are you saying direct video links make the algorithm less likely to recommend your videos?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I'm curious about this. Are you saying direct video links make the algorithm less likely to recommend your videos?

Nope! It's more like...the people in this thread who might be checking your channel out are probably not your target audience, but it's cool to check out what other people are doing.

Linking people in this thread to a specific video (especially when you've got a new channel and not a lot of views on the video) sends a whole bunch of external traffic to that video that YouTube is going to try and use as data to build your audience profile. Depending on whether people are logged in or not, YouTube may or may not pull in their watch history and if they're not your target audience, that might confuse it and it won't know who to recommend your video to, especially if most people end up clicking into the video, then immediately clicking out to get to your channel page or somewhere else—that's gonna crash your retention.

So yeah, linking an individual video for crits won't hurt too much in the long run, but it's better that I link your channel page in the OP rather than your video, otherwise every time someone clicks your link, it'll go to that video and YouTube will get super confused, especially if the video doesn't have a lot of views yet.

josh04 posted:

This is very good and definitely worth a watch even if you don't make/aren't looking to make those kinds of videos.

Hillier Smith just killing it with these edit crits. Here's him tearing Matthew Beem a new one for bad editing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39QXz1bbWxw
TL;DR (or TL;DW in this case): faster cuts and more shouting doesn't always mean better retention.

I don't watch any Matthew Beem, but so many of these huge creators like using the Mr Beast style intros of just non-stop shouting at the camera with huge bubble text of the shouted words in all caps, and it's soooooo aggressive. It works for Mr Beast because of his larger than life challenge style videos but I don't think it always translates well to different channels. That's why I like watching Ryan Trahan's more recent videos honestly.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I just started streaming for the first time. I feel like my audio/video setup isn’t half bad but I’m not really sure where to go from here - I don’t know what I don’t know yet. Anything obvious I’m missing?

I think the obvious next step is to decide on a schedule and post it.

I’m planning to play just for fun like normal and if anyone wants to watch then that’s great.

twitch.tv/rootreducer

Edit: If my average viewers chart looks like this, that means people were basically coming in, watching for just a minute or two, and leaving, right?

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 10, 2022

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Harriet Carker posted:

I just started streaming for the first time. I feel like my audio/video setup isn’t half bad but I’m not really sure where to go from here - I don’t know what I don’t know yet. Anything obvious I’m missing?

I think the obvious next step is to decide on a schedule and post it.

I’m planning to play just for fun like normal and if anyone wants to watch then that’s great.

twitch.tv/rootreducer

Edit: If my average viewers chart looks like this, that means people were basically coming in, watching for just a minute or two, and leaving, right?

Oh awesome, a DDR player! Okay so I could only watch the highlight you clipped, which is just of a song which is not much to critique. No idea what your actual stream is like since the full VOD isn't up.

Specifics on the snippets and your questions:

1. Your cam feed has a slight delay compared to your screen feed; I'd try and manually compensate for that in your streaming software settings so that the visual of you playing actually lines up with when your game screen registers the feet presses.
2. Are you doing banter? When the highlight started, I wasn't sure because it opened straight on the song, but then at the end you talked. FWIW, it's hard to get an idea of you as a streamer from the highlight, because without an opening segment of banter and commentary while you're playing, I don't have any way to get to know you.
3. And yeah, viewers will blip in and out of streams, that's normal, they're just popping in to check it out to see if they'll like it. If you want them to stick around, you need to give them an immediate sense of the vibe of your stream. You have about...1-3 seconds to hook them, or they're gone. So uh, play just for fun like normal and if anyone wants to watch then that's great" probably won't get you anybody watching.

So the big question you have to answer before we can provide any useful advice is this: what do you want to get out of streaming?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Leng posted:

Oh awesome, a DDR player! Okay so I could only watch the highlight you clipped, which is just of a song which is not much to critique. No idea what your actual stream is like since the full VOD isn't up.

Specifics on the snippets and your questions:

1. Your cam feed has a slight delay compared to your screen feed; I'd try and manually compensate for that in your streaming software settings so that the visual of you playing actually lines up with when your game screen registers the feet presses.
2. Are you doing banter? When the highlight started, I wasn't sure because it opened straight on the song, but then at the end you talked. FWIW, it's hard to get an idea of you as a streamer from the highlight, because without an opening segment of banter and commentary while you're playing, I don't have any way to get to know you.
3. And yeah, viewers will blip in and out of streams, that's normal, they're just popping in to check it out to see if they'll like it. If you want them to stick around, you need to give them an immediate sense of the vibe of your stream. You have about...1-3 seconds to hook them, or they're gone. So uh, play just for fun like normal and if anyone wants to watch then that's great" probably won't get you anybody watching.

So the big question you have to answer before we can provide any useful advice is this: what do you want to get out of streaming?

Thanks for the feedback! I will post here the next time I'm live, or publish a VOD once my setup is perfected.

1. I am not sure how to edit the video delay - I only see options for audio delay. But I will investigate and see if there's anything I can do here.
2. Yes, I am doing banter between songs. Even though nobody's watching! I will try to come up with a highlight idea where I can show off my personality a bit more.
3. Makes sense. It's tough because I can't really talk during the song, so whoever is watching has got to like DDR as sort of a baseline. But I do chat between songs and hope this can set the tone of the stream. I'm going for chill, relaxed vibes.

Hmm, what do I want to get out of streaming? I am a pretty high-level DDR player and I have very ambitious goals for my progress. It's plain and simple more fun if people are watching - it makes me feel like I have a crowd at the arcade. Having spectators makes me feel like I can push harder toward my goals. So ideally, I'd love even a small group of people to watch and be impressed because it strokes my ego and feels good. Even just 2-5 people watching with the occasional commenter would be wonderful.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Harriet Carker posted:

I am a pretty high-level DDR player and I have very ambitious goals for my progress.

Ok so we need to know this as viewers! The perk of streaming is real time interactivity.

Two things I'd do straight away is:

1. Get some overlays that can highlight these goals constantly on the screen and your progress towards them. With the goals there, there is a story and I'm automatically more invested because I'll want to know if you're gonna hit that goal or not. Without this being clear from the stream no matter when I drop in, you're just some guy playing DDR and I don't know why I should stay

2. Find ways to incentivize people to participate in chat. The best streamers interact with their chat all the time, because that's the draw of livestreams. It's hanging out with someone in real time. Get something that highlights chat comments on screen. As a small streamer I don't have a constant chat feed, but if I'm responding to a chat comment, I read it out and bring it up on screen so it's clear

Edit: also was there a specific reason why you picked Twitch over YouTube?

Leng fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 10, 2022

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Thanks for the advice! Putting my goals up on screen seems like such a great idea, like “Today’s AAA goal 3/5” or whatever. I love it!

Leng posted:

also was there a specific reason why you picked Twitch over YouTube?

No real reason. But Twitch Studio made getting started ridiculously easy. I am actually really impressed how good that program is for getting set up.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Harriet Carker posted:

Thanks for the feedback! I will post here the next time I'm live, or publish a VOD once my setup is perfected.

1. I am not sure how to edit the video delay - I only see options for audio delay. But I will investigate and see if there's anything I can do here.
2. Yes, I am doing banter between songs. Even though nobody's watching! I will try to come up with a highlight idea where I can show off my personality a bit more.
3. Makes sense. It's tough because I can't really talk during the song, so whoever is watching has got to like DDR as sort of a baseline. But I do chat between songs and hope this can set the tone of the stream. I'm going for chill, relaxed vibes.

Hmm, what do I want to get out of streaming? I am a pretty high-level DDR player and I have very ambitious goals for my progress. It's plain and simple more fun if people are watching - it makes me feel like I have a crowd at the arcade. Having spectators makes me feel like I can push harder toward my goals. So ideally, I'd love even a small group of people to watch and be impressed because it strokes my ego and feels good. Even just 2-5 people watching with the occasional commenter would be wonderful.

If you're focusing in on DDR streaming specifically, it might be a good idea to take a look at the other DDR streamers and see what they do, to get some ideas on how to handle things on stream.

Also take a look at the categories for other dance games - for example, I see that Stepmania is much more active than the main DDR category, and just from a glance it looks like there might be a fair few people streaming original DDR under the StepMania category instead of the DDR category, something that you could consider trying as well.

In OBS Studio, you can use the Render Delay filter on a source to delay its video by a given amount. I've never used Twitch Studio and I've never heard from anyone else using it, so I don't know if it's possible there - most people use OBS or SLOBS.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Annnnnnnd Channel Makers just posted a video about the thumbnail game evolving:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-zP-EUnEPg

:sigh: and I still suck at them and intros and everything to be honest (yes I am back at that stage where I feel like all my videos are terrible)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Vizuyos posted:

If you're focusing in on DDR streaming specifically, it might be a good idea to take a look at the other DDR streamers and see what they do, to get some ideas on how to handle things on stream.

Also take a look at the categories for other dance games - for example, I see that Stepmania is much more active than the main DDR category, and just from a glance it looks like there might be a fair few people streaming original DDR under the StepMania category instead of the DDR category, something that you could consider trying as well.

In OBS Studio, you can use the Render Delay filter on a source to delay its video by a given amount. I've never used Twitch Studio and I've never heard from anyone else using it, so I don't know if it's possible there - most people use OBS or SLOBS.

Thank you for the awesome advice! I changed my game to Stepmania and checkout some other streamer's layouts and stole a few things from them (and also got some helpful advice and a few followers!)

I also tweaked the audio timing (still can't get the video 100% synced but I think it's close and there might not be anything I can do about it) and added some highlights from today's stream. I'm mostly just really happy that the music, the game, and my footstep sounds are all synced very well. I took the advice in this thread and added some daily goals - so far so good. I am routinely getting a few viewers and actually got my first chat message today! Thanks for all the advice. I'm having an absolute blast.

twitch.tv/rootreducer for for any more critique. I could publish a whole VOD but DDR VODs tend to get copyright strikes pretty easily.

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 16, 2022