Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Hi thread, I've been a shadow editor for a few creators I know for several years and recently badly derailed the PYF Tweets thread answering questions, so I'm going to hang a shingle here in case anyone wants my insights.

For context I've been editing video since 2004 when I was in high school. I did a little paid work for student films in college, but my side hustle in social media videos started when I met a Disney YouTuber at Disney World (I'm Orlando local) in 2017. We hit it off and I ended up having lunch with them, and they mentioned that due to a family emergency the video they were shooting that day wouldn't be published for probably several days, which they were bummed about because it was the first day of Food And Wine. I mentioned that I had experience in Premiere Pro and ended up with their day's raws in my inbox on the mere promise that I would try.

I have a terrible, nonexistent sleep schedule and ADHD, so I edited the video overnight and had a prelim in their inbox by sunrise. The response was great, and after a few edits and a video call I shipped them the final and they published that day. We didn't discuss pay, I was helping a brother out of a jam and their thanks was enough, but they paid me more than fairly and I was thrilled.

I've edited perhaps a dozen videos for them since, as well as a few others who they shared my info with. I also got a job as a Social Media Manager for a branch of a mortgage company in 2019, which was fun and allowed me to learn the demographics and strategies for the different platforms. During that time I did real estate photography and videography for our partners, as well as talking head style videos of my boss which I shot and edited as style parodies of popular movies. Those were good enough to get me a few more creator contacts.

Unfortunately my boss made a $20m whoopsie just at the turn of the pandemic and every salaried employee at the branch was mysteriously terminated during the first quarter of 2020, and then the CEO found out and fired the branch manager too. Beans.

I still do shadow editing for a few channels, but the reality is that my services are only worth it for channels that are large enough to monetize but too small for employees or contract editors. There are a couple marketplaces for these services, but my experience there is that they pay very poorly and tend to be amateurs with unrealistic expectations, like getting a 30 minute edited video out of 35 minutes of raw footage, or paying $30 for four hours of work, so I don't do that.

Right now I'm working full time fixing up a house for sale and working on videos for myself or existing clients in my spare time, but if anyone wants to ask about editing or my limited understanding of the voodoo under the hood, ask away.

Oh god, so many questions, but I can't get them into anything coherent at the moment (also the ADHD). So I'll just start with some basics about getting started with editing (and the social media stuff too): any good tutorials/books/videos/etc you recommend to get an overview and get started? Like, what's a good way to get some insight into the process, so I can start getting my hands dirty and practice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010

Wow, thanks so much for all of this! I've been busy over the last few days, hence my delay, but this was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for: a great overview to identify the areas that I can start poking at. As you say, you gotta get in there and get your hands dirty, so this gives me the insight of how to do just that.

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010
I'm not a Stargate fan myself, but if I saw this
pop up in my recommendations, I'd think, "Huh, probably looking at the sillier parts of Stargate" (which is what I thought as I first saw it in your post), and give it a look.

Whereas this
was too busy for me to really parse on first glance, and I'd thus give it a miss; even though it has that cosmic horror bit.