Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm looking to record and/or stream some cooking stuff, and I need some help figuring out how to set up decent lighting in my kitchen - mostly in that I have no experience with it at all. I have a galley-style kitchen so I don't have a ton of room, but right now I'm just planning on positioning a camera above the stove pointing down at the stovetop and counter next to it (I don't plan to be in the shot myself other than my arms and hands while I'm actually doing things). I don't necessarily need something professional quality right now, since this is mostly just for goofing around with my friends; something basic that I can start out with and upgrade later if I want to is fine. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Leng posted:

Can you film during the day, and if so, do you get any decent natural light in your kitchen in your countertop area?

The de facto recommendation for "cheap amateur stuff that will get you started" is gonna be some sort of LED ring light or panel light. Most of the cheap sets will come with a stand - the stand is gonna be kinda dodgy, but it'll do until you figure out what it is that you need. My ring like has a bendy portion that will allow you to fiddle around with it to do overhead lighting.

Cyro might have some better recommendations for what lighting to use when shooting overhead?

I can do it during the day, but I don't get any natural light to most of the kitchen because of where the window is placed. I'll check into ring lights and panel lights for now; any idea where I would want to place it? On the counter pointing down at what I'm filming, behind me, etc?

I guess to be more specific re: budget and stuff, I'd like to keep the lighting under $100 if possible (mostly due to the other stuff I'm gonna need to buy) but that's not a hard and fast requirement.