Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tummyache
Oct 30, 2013

"Disapproval"
Hey everyone, weird tangent, but I'm a programmer and I was wondering if anyone is interested in this dumb thing I made.

http://thepys.com/

I watch a lot of Youtube and I realized the discoverability sucks on that site. I keep seeing channels get stuck in a purgatory where even when they make a good video, Youtube doesn't show it to anyone because it would rather recommend the channels that already have 1 million views.

So I thought it would be funny to create kind of a public broadcast for Youtube videos. There are multiple channels and anyone can add any video to the schedule. Videos are just played in the order they are received, so it's not beholden to any algorithms or anything.

Is that something any of you would use? I built it on a lark over the weekend and I don't know if it's worth pursuing or if it would even help people out. I personally would just like a constant stream of stuff to watch while working, but I don't necessarily care about the quality of that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tummyache
Oct 30, 2013

"Disapproval"

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

As one of those calcified goontube users I would say that having a ton of rooms off the bat is probably not great.
Think about it like a multiplayer game with a low population and a lot of available game modes.
I'd also look into having some library of content that plays itself when no users have input anything. Right now I look at the site and just see test patterns on every channel.
And not to push on the "it should be just like goontube" too hard, but what's the value to me as the user adding videos? Without a chat there's no riffing or community possible. It's just a page that sometimes plays a video I wanted to see. If I watch YouTube by myself it's always I video I wanted to see.

Good points, I was definitely thinking of the prefilled content so the channels don't look all empty.

I'll reconsider the chat thing or some other kind of interactivity. The original intent was for people to have some method of discoverability, so smaller channels got the same shot as larger channels for people to watch their stuff. I assumed less confident youtubers would rather not have a chat riffing on them. I tucked a discord link in there as a half-measure so people who wanted to riff could, but people weren't forced to subject themselves to the riffing unless they wanted to.

I'll do some more work on it over the weekend, thanks for the feedback.