Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There's a ton of great info in the OP but I'm dumb so I'm just gonna ask. I need to do a video for class. I also have some ideas for Yotube videos, so rather than just record the video with my webcam I want to do it up proper as a test to see if I like making videos. What camera and microphone should I buy?

I don't want to stream or do anything fancy, I literally just want to do shots exactly like this but in color

I'm willing to spend a reasonable amount of money on this in case it does end up becoming a hobby, but I'm not planning on making making videos my job or anything so I'm not looking to pay professional amounts of money. Just a solid camera and microphone so I look better than my classmates who are recording their zooms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Man I bought my phone at a Cricket store, it was one of the cheapest ones they had. I think it's a Samesung. It does not produce good video. That's why I'm asking about a camera, because my non-dedicated camera machines that do have cameras, my phone and my laptop, have very bad cameras.

It looks like the Canon 600D was discontinued a decade ago. On the Canon website it says the modern equivalent is the Canon 850D, which is 1,000 dollars. Which is too many dollars. Are there any decent camera options for, like, a quarter of that?

In that video the guy recommends the Tascam DR-10L, which is 200 dollars. Which is a more reasonable amount of dollars. But as I said, I don't need it to be portable. I can't imagine what I'd even do with the portability. And I'm kinda in favor of visible stand up mic for aesthetic reasons, like this

Gripweed posted:

I literally just want to do shots exactly like this but in color

So are there any decent standup mics that could work?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Baronash posted:

If your phone can't do passable video, then a point-and-shoot camera, like a Canon Powershot or a Nikon Coolpix, would probably be your best bet. They sell them in a range of models, so just verify that the one you're looking at does 1080p video. I don't believe that most (if any) of them have a line-in port for audio however, so you'll need to sync that after the fact.

My old rear end was just assuming that you needed a dedicated video camera, I never would've thought about regular cameras, thanks

Leng posted:

The Canon 600D is still kicking around, but you need to get them secondhand. I got mine on Facebook marketplace for $400, which was $250 for the body and $150 for the lens kit.

There are loads of standup mics. Blue Yeti is the all round favorite these days I think but they are pricey. You can go for something much cheaper though. Here's Harris Heller reviewing cheap USB mics that mostly cost less than $50 with an audio engineer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScV5tP8rbt8

Seconding this. 1080p is the minimum resolution you'll want to shoot at. If you use Davinci Resolve for editing (free), it has a nice little audio sync feature based on waveform which is pretty painless.

This is great, thanks

Megazver posted:

Maybe look into a bang-for-buck phone that specifically has a good camera? That way, if it turns out this isn't for you, you still have a decent phone.

https://www.creativebloq.com/features/best-budget-camera-phones

Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro sounds like it fits your needs and budget.

I used to have an iPhone, but I destroyed it an embarrassing way and ever since then I haven't been willing to spend a lot of money on a phone.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What's a good easy free simple video editing software?