Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Channel URL: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1WXSRUiZ5tsUaPm0QmPt8A
Type of crit wanted: Mostly videos but also if my channel needs anything, I'm definitely open to criticism.
Any specific issues you want help on: Where to even start? I'm not even really sure there's any kind of audience for what I'm putting out there, but I know that I can improve. Basically, I record myself doing art (usually while streaming on Twitch), then shorten the video down to about 10 minutes (is that too long?) and upload it to YouTube. Is that a thing? Do I need to add some voiceover or something? I'm not sure what I'd even talk about for 10 minutes. Maybe edit the videos into highlights and talk over that? I really kind of don't know what I'm doing, but I'm eager to learn!

Also, as I mentioned, I stream my art on Twitch (http://twitch.tv/phylodox), but most of my streams are just me doing art with a royalty-free Spotify playlist in the background. Do I need to buy myself a decent microphone and start just...talking while I'm making art?

Anyways, I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

trilobite terror posted:

Are these all original characters that you’re drawing? I think getting people interested in them when they don’t know who Dillran is or why they should care is your biggest challenge right now.

Consider looking at somebody like Boylei hobby time, who does a lot of arts and diorama projects that are either one-off ideas or his own thing, with the occasional build that is heavily inspired by a popular property if not outright an explicit fan-work (ie his Khazad-Dum Balrog vs Gandalf build is literally just the scene from the book/movie, but he never explicitly comes out and advertises it as such).

His thumbnails/video pitches benefit from having really strong concepts in his bespoke stuff and being just recognizable/compelling enough to fans without being outright “Learn To Model Gandalf!!1!!1” when they’re based on a media property.

In your position I might consider leaning more into

1) narrative. Draw your characters in interesting situations that you can build a title around (“They Thought This Dungeon Was Safe!”) and/or flesh them out more.

Don’t just draw a portrait of Dillran, maybe explain a bit about who he is, what his backstory and personality are. Maybe draw him a few different ways and in different scenarios. Resting, at his job, in combat, smiling, upset, etc.

Consider shifting the focus so that there’s more character-building instead of simply illustration.

Or draw a series of panels and craft a fun narrative over them while still retaining the technical advice.

2) the utility to your audience. Is Dillran a TTRPG character? A Baldurs Gate OC? Is he somebody’s fantasy book character or comic character? Could he be all four? Etc. Frame your presentation accordingly.

This ties into point 1. Instead of just one drawing, make a character bible or D&D character sheet.

This is good advice, and I think it kind of zeroes in on a major flaw in my whole channel. The characters I've drawn (so far, there are videos with fan art of popular characters in the pipeline) are original...but they're not mine. My process has been to browse the r/characterdrawing subreddit, grab a character concept I found kind of interesting, record myself making art of that character, and then upload the video. I've been thinking of these as, like, process videos with a minimal focus on the characters because, for the most part, there's not a lot to go on for the characters other than, like, a mood board and a vague description. Dillran in particular was someone going "This is my character, he's a purple tiefling" and I had to take that and run with it. I guess I've been assuming people would be tuning in to see the process of making art, and if that's the case then I guess I should have the thumbnails focus on that rather than the characters?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Okay, that's a lot of amazing advice. I've started by changing the name of my channel. Instead of just my name, I'm calling it "Drawing with Character" because I draw characters (and I often get inspiration from r/characterdrawing). I've embellished my bio a bit to say: "Hello and welcome to my channel! My name is Alan and I'm a character artist. I record myself while making portraits and character pieces and then upload time lapse videos here!" I'm not sure if that's enough, I could add more. More importantly, I've experimented a bit with some different thumbnail ideas, trying to capture that curiosity and also convey that it's a process from initial sketch to finished piece. I've come up with a couple of ideas:

I can't thank you guys enough, you're really very helpful!