Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Just chiming in to say that this is an incredible OP. I'm in the process of making my first channel and this is gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Type of crit wanted: channel
Any specific issues you want help on: Just a general critique, really. I don't think I'll ever get an audience - I can only really pump out one of these things every three months or so, so I can't imagine getting many views. But I'm really enjoying plugging away at a thing when I clock off of work.

I wanted to start making video essays a while back. I started with this 45 minute thing on why Star Wars kinda sucks. It was the first video I made and there's a bunch wrong with it. The first three chapters are paced way waaaay too fast. Every single sentence comes in too quick and it feels massively rushed.

Then I forgot about it for a year and made this thing on why I really like Subnautica. I've just released it, but I think the opening animation is a bit too long. It kind of comes off like the preamble you get before a recipe online.

The main criticism I get from friends is that the music dominates the narration, which I think I agree with. I want the videos to be vibey, so I think the music should be high in the mix, but if it's a huge issue I'll rethink that approach. Any other criticism would be very welcome too.

EDIT: I didn't follow the request format.

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 17, 2023

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Leng posted:

Hey and sorry for taking so long to reply. It's been a helluva month for me. Anyway!

I had a quick look and by a quick look I mean I intended to skim through your Subnautica video and ended up watching the whole thing. It's really well done in every respect—storytelling, animation, choice of music, everything.

Thanks! Your OP is incredible btw - it really cleared up a lot of things I hadn't taken into account.

Leng posted:

This is an easy fix because it's a sound mixing issue. I wouldn't change your music level or how you narrate, I would just up your vocal levels so it's more easily heard over the music.

I think I've got the audio balance right on the next video. I've also gone back and had another pass at the mix on the Subnautica video and I think I've got it right this time. I don't think you can change the audio on a video once it's uploaded, so is it better to delete the old video and relaunch with the new audio? A few hundred views is probably worth eating, right?

Leng posted:

I think what might be the problem is that you've got a thumbnail/title mismatch with your intro. Your current thumbnail is a pretty awful screencap from the game with giant text that's trying to utilize a pun and then your title explains the pun. It doesn't really evoke the emotions of the personal story that ties the whole video together nor does it convey the sense of wonder and awe you get from playing the game.

I definitely haven't mastered the art of thumbnails yet. So far everything else seems to come pretty easy, but I can't seem to get inspired about making them. I'll definitely do some reading before I finish my next thing.

Leng posted:

What's your current click through rate and retention rate for it? I'd expect both to be low, but I'd also expect that anyone staying past the first minute or so will probably watch to the end because it's high quality content. And 391 views in the first 10 days for what is basically a brand new channel is really good stuff. I think you've definitely got an audience out there and make 1 high quality video every 3 months doesn't preclude you from finding an audience IF it's a really great idea because not all ideas are created equal.

Watch this interview with Paddy Galloway who explains it much better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHhTKwclHCs

Click through rate is 1.1% and retention is about 2:30 which is not great, I guess. :shrug: I watched that video and really got a lot from it. I've got a big list of ideas I pull scripts from, but I'm gonna refine it and spend longer developing them.

Trabant posted:

Oh hey, just realized this thread exists! I've been asking for advice from the editing thread but thought I'd peek in here as well. Here's my crit request:

Channel URL: Swift Kick Industries
Type of crit wanted: channel (I think? I only have two videos so far)
Any specific issues you want help on: Not really -- fire away on editing, audio, pacing, narration, anything that could be obviously improved.

I watched all of your first video and a good deal of the second. I'm not much of a craftsman, so I don't have much to critique on that level, but I have to say everything here was really high quality. The pacing, the cuts, how long you linger on what you're doing before you move on. Audio levels sounded bang on to me. The background jazz with the brushed snares in the first video really sets the tone nicely and I also liked the more spacey beats in the second - it really fits the theme.

Your cadence is good, you speak clearly, and you keep things interesting. I really liked the intro on the second video - especially the cross fade to the top down zoom. I honestly don't really have any notes - I enjoyed both your videos despite knowing nothing about the subject matter. The thumbnails are really good shots - super gorgeous and informative, but do YouTube thumbnails need text maybe?

Trabant posted:

I really enjoyed the animation -- I think it truly sets off a channel vs. others. If I wanted to include something like that, I honestly wouldn't know where to start. It's a great hook and clearly custom. And even though I don't really play video games anymore I stayed through the whole video and you made a convincing case for Subnautica:v: I personally struggled with audio on my second video, so I can't offer a lot of advice there (although it didn't really bother me in your case).

Thanks! It was kind of fun learning to animate, but it was way too time consuming, so I'm not sure I'll commit to anything that long any time soon. I didn't notice any struggle with the audio on your second video - the music dips when it should and doesn't come up too loud between the narration. I think you nailed it.

Trabant posted:

One thing I'll ask -- not a loaded question, I genuinely don't know -- is whether an essay needs to have a central thesis or some question it's supposed to answer. If the central thesis is "Subnautica is fantastic because of the awe it inspires" without it becoming a video game review, that's perfectly fair. But if you're going for a particular argument, it might need to be more explicit for dumbs like me.

I think maybe a fairly floaty video essay doesn't need a central thesis, but I'm not really sure. I don't necessarily want to commit to anything you could call discourse - I'm way to dumb to even attempt it. I guess I'm just trying to say "Hey I liked this video game" in a somewhat entertaining manner? I have thought about trying to make the narrative a bit more concise, but I'm really bad with words so I'm hoping I can distract away from that with pretty visuals.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Leng posted:

Not specific to video essays but applicable to ALL videos. To get people to click, you need to know what your video is about and clearly communicate that in a thumbnail. To get people to watch to the end, you need to structure and pace the video so that every part of the video develops that core idea in some way.

I really tried to take this on board with my new thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH7K-EyINYY

I laid out the script in a hopefully much more thoughtful way, edited it down to roughly equal lengths, then tried to make each section flow onto the next. I think I got the audio balance a bit better this time too? The vocals are a little fried - I tried to clean them up but I tried my soundcard's auto gain and I think it came out a little crispy. Hopefully it's not noticeably cooked.

The video's done the best out of any I've done so far and I'm just up to 40 subs. Absolutely stoked about that, but I still pulled only about 500 views. I'm gonna make the next thing about something a bit more relevant and see how that does. At the moment I'm pushing these things out about one a month.

Leng posted:

Channel Makers recently put out a new guide to thumbnails that's pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZSFgZhTfRQ

So has Film Booth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv60Vww-YZ4

Colin and Samir's Creator Support channel also has a really good discussion on thumbnails:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtozAfF1zmM&t=882s

These were all absolutely excellent watches and I recently went through and redid all my thumbnails with it in mind. I think they're better without being too corny. But they could definitely still use some work.

I really like this, but I don't think it's YouTube-y enough

This one isn't too bad I think?

This one sucks

Do they convey a message a bit better than the old ones? I'm still not sure that I understand the brief when it comes to thumbnails but I had some nice comments on my editing on the Vampire Survivors one. This thread is an amazing resource - thanks OP!

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 26, 2023

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Trabant posted:

Add one from me to that -- really enjoyed the video :)

edit: forgot to post my own most recent one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mybgpl-228E

The thumbnail can probably be improved, but I'm trying to avoid text so... Keeping it as-is, at least for now. I'm pleased with the final reveal though (timestamped).

It's interesting: I think it's my most esoteric video so far, at least in terms of having no general (pop or otherwise) culture connections, and it's getting fewest views. But it's also 10 percentage points higher for "average percentage viewed" over my other two videos. Maybe it being shorter helps, maybe it's that those who care about weirdo sculptures will stick around longer, maybe it's both?

Awesome - thanks!

I watched your new video and there was a lot that I liked. I feel like you pair your music beds really well with the subject/theme of the piece you're making. I liked that your beds felt very meditative and serene whilst you're working with the wood. The pace of the narration is great and it feels natural with the timbre of your voice.

The only criticisms I have are that I would bring the first notes of the first music bed right up to the start of the video. This might just be a personal taste thing, but dead air at the start of a YouTube video makes me want to click away. But those opening notes and the opening shots would really intrigue me if paired together. I also feel like the thumbnail for this one might be a bit of a miss. I like that you don't have text on them, but in this case I don't think the shot of the final product tells me enough about what the video will be about. But a simple title with a nice font and heavy tracking would give me a sense that something real good is about to be made.

That said - I enjoyed the vid and have no other criticism to offer!

7seven7
May 19, 2006

God, any and all social media promotion is scary and way outside of my realm of understanding, so this is mega helpful to me. Thank you so much for taking the time to dump all that here.

My new thing is out and I've finally figured out how to get high-res thumbnails onto YouTube. I still think my thumbnail concepts need work but I'm getting closer hopefully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__eYV6Ruf-M

Any criticism would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm getting quicker at these, but I'm stuck on a style that's enjoyable to make but I have no idea if it's enjoyable to watch. I don't really feel like I'm improving so any pointers would be taken on board!

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 14, 2023

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I had my last video get picked up by the algo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hwgJYqbwHE

20k views in a week and 200 new subs - I'm dead chuffed. I got the analytics back and can post them here if anyone's interested. I imagine it got picked up because it's a bit of a hot button topic. I've really enjoyed interacting with folks in the comments, but I was not prepared for the level of pendantry from people with differing opinions. I tried to say "I really like this company and things could be better" but a lot of people didn't pick up on that and just focussed on the negatives, so I'm going to try to be more conscious of the words I'm choosing in the future.

I was planning on making the next video a fairly throwaway Top 10 Games of the Year summary, but I've read that once you have a video picked up your next video is pretty important in terms of YouTube figuring out who your audience is. Is there any truth to that?

EDIT: I was also trying to stay anonymous online, but I managed to trace my own name with a simple Google search, so I guess that's out the window and I haven't been as clever as I thought I was.

I'm also not far off of monetising the channel just from one video. But one of the requirements is to have three videos uploaded in the last 90 days. I met the requirement last week, but fell outside of it in the last few days. If I get another hit and meet the other requirements, is there anything stopping me from just throwing up a twenty second video to meet the requirements and get myself locked in to monetision or are the requirements rolling?

One more observation - I haven't had any of my other videos pick up many views off the back of this, but I have had a few people who went through and watched all of my stuff and say that they liked it. That got me pretty stoked, but I think from now on I'm gonna have an ending that flashes my thumbnails and a subscribe button as soon as the main body of the video is over. It's tricky though - I want to have a Patreon callout and a nice attributions scroll, but end cards can only be on screen for twenty seconds, so that means I need to get everything squeezed in on one screen pretty much.

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 20, 2023

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Sardonik posted:

Hell yeah, congrats!

This is completely anecdotal on my part but after I had a video that did well, the next video seemed like it got pushed much further in the initial push than other videos did. Unfortunately the video underperformed pretty hard after that though, so it was back to normal afterwards. The video did this basically:

So I would say there may be some truth to that, I'd be sure your next video is one that can resonate with a mainstream audience.

Admittedly I'm unfamiliar with that kind of monetization, I only had the option of monetizing after 4k watch hours and 1k subs. I will say though that monetization is not the last major hurdle, once you are monetized it can still take a while to get to the $100 minimum payout, I'm still working up to mine.

I've heard so many subscriber call to action best practices I have no idea what the best way forward is myself there. Some people even say not to ask at all. Regardless, I generally do a final little plug before entering my end card screen, at the tail end of the script. Does sound challenging to square that with a patreon name list.

Thanks! This is all great! I've changed the next subject to something a bit more mainstream, but I'll probably not be able to sustain a mainstream audience. I liked getting views on this new thing, but I still want to do this for fun, so I guess I should make my peace with less views.

I'm also not really expecting to make any money off of YouTube, but it would be nice if it happened!

7seven7
May 19, 2006

7seven7 posted:

Thanks! This is all great! I've changed the next subject to something a bit more mainstream, but I'll probably not be able to sustain a mainstream audience. I liked getting views on this new thing, but I still want to do this for fun, so I guess I should make my peace with less views.

I'm also not really expecting to make any money off of YouTube, but it would be nice if it happened!

Well I royally hosed the follow up with this one. 25k views to less than 100 on the next release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me-Zy9q1Bmw

I changed the subject to something I thought was niche, but had appeal. I did a bit of research and saw some big channels with videos on the same subject with around a million views, so I thought it might have potential. I hustled to get a quick turnaround and went with a much more YouTubey thumbnail to garner some early clicks for a push, but I don't think the push happened. It got so few views I haven't even got the analytics.

If I think about it, the intro for my Bethesda video lasts thirty seconds then goes straight into the title sequence. This one lasts about a minute thirty and I thought if I load it up with jokes and a really punchy sequence people might engage, but I judged it really poorly.

Shame, but I'm going to keep going. I do want to get views, but I think what I need to do to get those views is understand what gets people watching whilst still making the videos I want to make.

For the next one I'm going to aim for another thirty second intro. I think the subject of the Bethesda video really helped, but I suspect the Net Yaroze one would've done better if I'd cut the intro down. Hard to tell without analytics, but if anyone has any insights I'd really appreciate the advice.

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 1, 2023

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Leng posted:

The intro might be a factor in drop off and perhaps with the new auto play preview it might contribute to a lower CTR but if I had to guess, I think it's your title/thumbnail.

(The way to tell is impressions and CTR. If you're getting impressions but low clicks, it's your title/thumbnail. If you're not even getting impressions, then that's a different problem altogether.)

Like 80% of the Internet has heard of Bethesda and Steam. Maybe 0.1% of the same audience has heard of Net Yaroze.

You had 3 hooks in your viral video: Bethesda, decline, and predictable. That's speaking to a massive audience, all of whom are fed up with Bethesda getting worse and worse. Some of them will just click for therapeutic shared venting. Others are clicking because they want to know WHY it's all gone to crap and whether it could have been prevented and if there's hope for a turnaround. Still others will be curious because all they know is that Bethesda is a big name and they didn't know there were big issues with it.

I haven't watched your follow up but it's clear from title/thumbnail that it's a totally different kind of video—at least, I assume that you're trying to convince people to check out indie games and at a place that's not Steam.

In which case, your draw is something like "Steam alternative" or "Steam killer" or "best game store you've never heard of" etc, where the hook is the mystery of what the thing is.

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks so much for taking the time to write this up. I'm still wrapping my head around a lot of this, so I appreciate another perspective. The new video ended up getting some views and got me a few subs, but still failed to crack 1k. It made 22.3k impressions with a CTR of 2.6% - so not great. What I'm taking away from your advice is that my thumbnails and titles still need some work. With the Net Yaroze one, when I think about it, I think I failed the concept right out of the gate. I'm not really sure who the core audience would've been. It's a retrospective on the system for people that haven't heard of it. But if you haven't heard of it you're not going to know what's going on in the thumbnail, nor are you going to give a poo poo about the subject matter because it's mega obscure. Really what I'm hoping for is to foster an audience that knows I'm going to talk about something esoteric in a gentle manner, giving you a summary of my subject with some nice vibes, a tiny bit of leftist analysis, and a couple of jokes along the way. Basically I'm going for the HBomberGuy audience without the explicit politicising.

I'm starting to consistently get one or two comments saying that my channel is underrated, but I'm guessing that's just because I've been really finnicky about production values and not because I'm doing anything particularly great. I've been really resistant to the idea due to misplaced artistic integrity, but I think I have to make my peace with using some more clickbaity titles and thumbs. I can't naturally foster an audience if nobody watches the things in the first place. I'm going to spend a bit of time thinking about concepts that might engage an audience, but I still think there's a balance to be struck between "You won't BELIEVE what this company did" and a thumbnail with The YouTube Face versus "A Six Hour Appraisal of Jungian Interpretations of Tomb Raider" with no production values.

Leng posted:

Ok so I asked my husband to watch this one too because I suspect he's actually part of the target audience who would vibe with your content (as I'm typing this, he literally saw you had a Ridge Racer video and clicked on that right afterwards without me saying a thing).

His feedback: "I watch a lot of indie gaming stuff and that part of the title appeals but I have nfi what the Net Yaroze thing is or what's going on in the thumbnail and there's no hook to get me to click"

FWIW he wasn't super bothered about the length of the intro other than saying the self deprecation was maybe a little overdone.

I asked what would've got him to click and he suggested a "______ but ________" title that kept in the indie gaming keywords.

This is super interesting to me - thanks again! I tried to make the thumbnail super easy to parse with a two colour background and the devkit highlighted with an outline, but I'm realising I failed at that. Similar to what I wrote above, but I'm taking from this that again, my thumbnails and titles need work. So far I've been concentrating on making the visuals and audio interesting, but I need to seal the deal with more engaging concepts. I'm starting to see small numbers of engagement with my community tab and my next piece is going to be a top 10 of the year wrap up without much visual flare, so it'll be interesting to see what my subs make of something a bit more straight forward. I suspect it'll flop, but I'd like to do a top 10 every December.

Thanks again for the advice. I want the channel to be somewhat successful and I've been putting a lot of hours into editing lately so maybe it's time to compromise on making the videos I want to make versus the videos a YouTube audience wants to see.

EDIT:: Just to add on to this - is it a valid idea to make some moreainstream videos to garner a following, then gently switch it up to more obscure topics, or is that dooming myself with an inorganic audience?

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 5, 2023

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Leng posted:

This is only a problem if you keep thinking that your title/thumbnail HAS to feature Net Yaroze. It doesn't. If the draw is sharing an esoteric cool piece of retro gaming history that's just awesome, then make that the hook: "The indie game revolution that never was" or "The indie gaming gold rush history forgot" etc.

YouTube really makes you confront this reality like nothing else. You don't have to go all Mr Beast with your title/thumbnails (and in fact you shouldn't because his audience is not your audience) but you do need to practice getting really good at conveying a single, clear idea in your title/thumbnail.

The issue with featuring the devkit is nobody knows wtf that is. I thought you were trying to do something cutesy with a bubble font or something.

In your thumbnail you have:
  • background
  • Net Yaroze logo (very difficult to read text)
  • PS1
  • PS1 controller - with a bundled cable ALSO highlighted
  • The title of the video (INDIE GAMING BEFORE IT WAS COOL) doubled up in two different fonts
That's like 5/6 elements with WAY too much of it being text. My eyes don't know where to focus because the logo is center but then the PS1 and the controller are both highlighted, but so is the BEFORE IT WAS COOL.

You would've been better off just blacking out or blurring/pixelating the devkit to make that a mystery. Or maybe just featuring an image of the devkit as a CD-ROM. I'm not really sure what would work as not my niche but a simplification would've helped.

This in particular is incredibly helpful and really lets me get my head around the general idea and where I went wrong. I don't think I'll be able to do it for the thing I'm working on, but I'm already thinking about how I'm going to go about the next thumbnail with all this in mind. Normally that'd be the part I'd procrastinate over so I'm feeling better about it. Thanks again - I don't really know anyone irl I could talk to about this particular hobby so I can't tell you how nice it is to have somewhere to ask someone about thumbnail theory.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Leng posted:

!!! YouTube is rolling out A/B testing for thumbnails:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY3MFjPVvwc

It's gonna be called "Test and compare" and they'll allow you to upload up to 3 thumbnails. Worth noting that they judge thumbnail performance on "watch time share" (something we can't really calculate previously) and not CTR.

Oh drat that's awesome. I don't have the feature right now but I'm hoping I'll be part of the rollout before my next one is ready.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Trabant posted:

lmao

I put this together in 10 minutes and published it at 10pm on Christmas, got order of magnitude more views than anything else I've published.

Shorts are different, I know, but it's still amazing.

I haven't had any luck with shorts - congrats. And the concept is cool as hell!

I still haven't got the ability to do A/B thumbnails, but I've got three new thumbnails for each of my existing videos ready to go. Also been spending a lot of time researching how to make the concepts of my videos appealing and how to get the idea across in a single sentence. Now that my latest thing is out I've got a few ideas about making the next one something that might get some clicks. I spend hundreds of hours on making the actual thing - it's finally getting through to me that I need to invest a decent amount of time into figuring out an interesting concept, title, and thumbnail if I want to see numbers.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I've just come across Zackary Smigel's channel. I'm probably late to it, but there's some really interesting things on there. I really like the big one on how YouTube feels different recently, but in this video he mentions TubeBuddy and VidIQ. I doubt it, but are they any cop?

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I really wanted to get the A/B thumbnail testing by the time I was done with my next video, but I still don't have the option. So with that in mind I've done a little experiment. I've gone super clickbaity with the title and thumbnail. But not necessarily the content itself.

I'm hoping the thumbnail is clear, simple, and recognisable as a GTA thing. It's a bit baity in that it's an inflammatory statement, but having watched a lot more content on getting views I guess that's part of the game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAVyXjbfmH0

Hopefully that all comes across. And if it gets views, my thinking is that the opening statement is enough to deflect a bit of hate from the title.

I haven't launched it yet since I'm having trouble getting the player to work while I edit the subtitles. On that note - has anyone found a reliable way to get YouTube to format subs correctly when you upload your script? I've tried .txt files with no breaks, a break for each line, and double breaks. I've tried timed uploads, un-timed ones, and nothing seems to output subtitles that don't require upsetting amounts of editing.

Is YouTube's subtitle system just a bit crap and this is something everyone has to do if they don't want auto-subs?

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 1, 2024

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Sardonik posted:

I'm no expert but I think this is 100% a valid approach. I think that thumbnail is great too.

Youtube's subtitle system indeed is pretty crap. The way I did it last was copying and pasting the text of the script directly into the text pane, and then coming back once the algorithm timed out everything, and then manually editing it until it's suitable. Which isn't fun as the interface is rather tiny and doesn't scale well, and begins lagging like hell after extended use.

I'll try this next - that sounds better than chopping them up the way YouTube does it from uploading.

Sardonik posted:

Stargate SG1 Video is up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0_pVvGqPKU

Currently on pins and needles waiting for it to hit the algorithm proper.

I clicked on this out of curiosity, watched the entire thing along with your video on leftism. You've got a new subscriber!

Sardonik posted:

What do people think on best practices for promoting work externally? Will that hurt or help the ability of the algorithm to find the audience? Should I just let the algorithm do its thing for the next 48 hours before sharing it out more broadly?

Generally I've tried posting to the relevant subreddits, but every single post I've tried on Reddit has been immediately downvoted and any comments I've got were pretty hostile. I can only imagine that's hurting my initial numbers, but it's hard not to want to fish for that one success on Reddit that'd give me a little boost. I'm holding off on posting my new thing anywhere and just seeing how the numbers do without external posting. I've only had one video get picked up by the algorithm and it got a hundred views early on from Reddit, then died on its arse, then got picked up from YouTube recommendations a day later.

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 2, 2024

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I launched my new thing on Friday and it seems to have stopped getting views. I got just shy of 2k, which is more than twice what I usually get, so I'm relatively happy.

It looks like it got two pushes around about midnight GMT on both days. Which interesting to me because it seems like most of my audience is in the UK:

The gender split is pretty much what I was expecting, but I'm quite surprised to see the audience skewed younger when all of my other videos have been almost 100% in the 35-44 bracket. I got absolutely bodied in the likes/dislikes ratio when it's normally around 95% in my favour. But I'm sort of assuming it's salty fans seeing the thumbnail and immediately hitting the dislike button. I was hoping my opening line might mitigate that, but I'm not surprised it didn't. I'm somewhat OK with the average duration as well. I was imagining it to be around thirty seconds, so I'll take four minutes.

In terms of retention I'm somewhat pleased. There's a big dip in the graph when I mention not fitting masculine stereotypes at 0:34, another one when I start criticising the series at 06:54, and another one when I shift to praise a series that isn't GTA at 08:49.

All in all I'm OK with the performance, but I was hoping a spicy title and putting more effort into the concept and thumbnail would produce a better result. I'm not really sure what I could've done differently with the title and thumbnail and I'm still looking at improving my numbers, so I'll keep working on it. One nice thing is I now how three people regularly commenting on my posts and videos. It's such a tiny number, but the fact that two or three people like what I'm doing is a really nice feeling.

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 4, 2024

7seven7
May 19, 2006

The Archaic posted:

Hi folks, I've been doing a failed marxist political stream on Twitch for a few years and only just found out about this thread so I've been using Streamlabs unfortunately. Recently some friends of mine approached me to start a podcast with them, so I guess I'll try failing at podcasting too. They sometimes come on my twitch stream and have a blast so they wanna do more.

My question is regarding recording a podcast over zoom/discord since we live in two different countries, if this is feasible. I'm in Canada, they're in the US. We all have mics of varying quality. I have a shure sm7b and a focusrite that I got used at a music shop for dirt cheap but they're mostly using the $50-70 usb mics. I've had good results with these cheaper mics through Streamlabs' audio mixing and I was wondering if there's a mixer app that I can use to apply filters to their audio tracks during recording so they can be tuned individually on their ends.

One option I was considering is having them all record their audio separately and I mix it all together on my end in Audacity and we'd have to sync it up but that's a lot of variables and I'd like to keep the technical side as idiot proof as possible and focus on the content.

Is there a way I can get all audio at once from their end with some filtering/noise cancelling/mixing? Ideally I'd like to do as little post-production as possible.

I used to record and edit a podcast over Discord and I'll say this - if you want the audio to reach a decent level of quality you'll need to put in a lot of time in the edit suite. Discord lags and in order to get natural sounding discussion every sentence from every speaker will need a hard cut. I had a two hour record, and to edit it down to forty five minutes it took an average of nine hours of cuts. I absolutely hated it.

I'd also recommend recording the whole thing locally in one program on your end. Syncing several streams in Audacity isn't reliable and you'll most likely end up with a delay/overlap. Especially when using the delete silence function. But if you record on your end using your DAW it'll be synced from the start.

In terms of filter apps I'm unaware of any as I prefer to mix and master on my own. That said - sweeping for frequencies and compression etc doesn't take that long once you're familiar with the basics.

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 13, 2024

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Trabant posted:

With the disclaimer that I'm probably not your intended audience, here's my impression of the video you linked:

It's clear that you had a wealth of information and thoughts on the topic, and what to me looks like quite a bit of research backing it up! Both the video and audio were well done, and I liked the thumbnail as well.

I thought it could benefit a bit from some more structure or delineation, at least for someone like me. Having sections like (Ancient) History, Creators, Reception, Legacy -- those would give me a breather as you go through the history of the game. Whether you have a formal title card breaking it up into sections is probably a stylistic choice. I like those, but I might be a lunatic.

I'll add that even though I'm not a gamer, I would absolutely be interested in some of the things you have in the channel description, including what a game did for the company or genre or, like in this case, the franchise. I imagine financial specifics might be tricky to get a hold of though, and those happen to be extra interesting in the big picture.

Agreed - I might be the target audience. I watched the whole video and enjoyed it. Your voice, knowledge, and presentation are all up to snuff, but this video would've really benefited from some title cards just to break up the pacing issues.

Other than that - good video!

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Got a new video ready to go. Last release I tried a spicy title and a spicy thumbnail, and while it did more than double my usual views, it also go me ratio'd in the likes and the vast majority of the comments were not positive. The views also absolutely tanked after the first week. I'm talking no new views at all. This time I've been a lot more focused on the thumbnail concept. I've read in a fair few places that simplified thumbnails using red and white are doing numbers recently. That and simplification - getting your idea across with as few elements as possible. I still don't have the A/B testing for thumbnails yet, so thought I'd try my three ideas here:

This is my favourite, but might be a bit niche and the characters are hard to make out on a phone, but hopefully the idea still comes across to fans.

This one looks good small, but the Tekken logo may be illegible. I might swap it out for something a bit simpler but keep the rest of the image. I'd say it's the one most similar to my one successful video, so I'm leaning towards this.

This one might be good for the meme factor, but the text needs addressing. I'm finding it hard to get it readable in small form, but if it's worth a shot I'll keep at it.

Video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2qO6T4Lor8

EDIT:: Tried a cleaner logo but I feel like it doesn't pop/grab the eye as much?:

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 22, 2024

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

You could always split the difference

Great idea - clean logo and it still pops. I'll give it a go - thanks!

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Got a new thing ready to go. It's a fairly wanky thing about grief tied into gaming. It's a way slower tempo than anything I've tried before and I'm really struggling with the thumbnail, Here's what I've got so far if anyone fancies weighing in:

I think they're OK at conveying the message but I'm worried they're not serious enough. If someone comes in expecting something funny based on the thumbnail they're gonna click away in two seconds as soon as they see the visuals. Or am I wrong and I should just go with the most eye grabbing thing regardless of a tone mismatch?

EDIT: The video in question -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsPaC24A7Hc

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 30, 2024

7seven7
May 19, 2006

trilobite terror posted:

BRB gonna make a video essay comparing the Yakuza series to Dostoevsky’s The Idiot

Dang - is it too poncey? I tried to be self aware and keep the language plain. Sorry if it's super cringe.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Megazver posted:

Sorry about whatever's happening.

I didn't really see any religious themes in the video, so I'd maybe avoid the symbolism in the thumbnails.

Here's a couple of random ideas I'd personally test if I was making thumbnails for this:

1) The person crying in a puddle meme and a couple of whatever videogame characters you like crouching in sympathy next to them and maybe 'IT'S OKAY' in text above it.

2) A screenshot of the swingset scene from Disco Elysium. Again, some consolatory text above it.

The Disco Elysium shot is an especially good idea. I'm gonna see what I can do with that one first then give the other idea a go if it flops. Both super good ideas and I'm annoyed I didn't come up with something as clear as them. You're absolutely right about the missed symbolism. I'm still really struggling to convey concepts in my thumbnails so this is excellent advice.

EDIT: Here's what I came up with -

Angryhead posted:

FWIW I like it so I didn't think. It's real and you're being vulnerable and hell, I found it relatable. (here's hoping everything will work out for you :))
Though to answer your original question - just as a viewer, not a creator, I don't remember how I found this thread - I would be expecting something different from the thumbnail, like... "oh, did they make a Super Noah's Ark style thing for the PS1??"

Thanks for the criticism - I definitely whiffed getting the message and the tone across.

trilobite terror posted:

no lol not at all. I was half being facetious in a general “video essays, amirite” kind of way, but half being semi-serious after one of your comments in the video about Ichiban being an unrelenting fountain of optimism and selflessness and goodness in the face of constant abuse and hardship and skullduggery from others made me legit think of Prince Mishkin

I was worried you might take it as too insulting of a comment, but I’m only ribbing you a little bit. It’s a great essay, although I will say that I don’t think that any of the thumbnail images you posted really fit with the subject matter appropriately.

I get using the image of the crucifix to convey spirituality, but maybe something more in keeping with the topic of grief might be more appropriate.

Maybe even consider just doing text in the thumbnail, given the seriousness of the subject matter. Like a black background with a center fade to white or gray with text

Processing grief through games

Or if you want a funnier option, “Press X to pay respects”

All good - I'm overly sensitive at the moment what with the things going on and all. I do like the idea of a more serious thumbnail. I'm not really sure why I went with the jokey one.

Sardonik posted:

I thought it was pretty solid! I've used games for escapism for a sizable chunk of my life so I definitely get it.

I'm probably not the person to talk to about thumbnails but I could see the concept of a game box with arms hugging a person under distress, literally comforting them.

This is also a really good idea that I'm gonna play around with. Much appreciated!

trilobite terror posted:

Not to give you notes, but you could probably expand the scope of the essay quite a bit if you wanted to further contrast games as escapism vs games as meditation by talking about games that explicitly deal with the concept, and particularly with regards to your thesis/focus of being in a state of anticipatory grief where you’re expecting somebody to pass in the near to immediate future. That Dragon, Cancer comes to mind.

I tried expanding the script on a rewrite, but in the end I settled on keeping it shorter since it's a fairly heavy topic. I haven't played That Dragon, Cancer but I'm definitely going to now.

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 30, 2024

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Sardonik posted:

Planning on dropping a video this Friday, think this one has real mainstream potential. :toot:

Does anybody know offhand if there's any truth to the rumor that sharing the video around causes the algorithm to push it less in the initial impression pushes? Or does the information of people viewing the video prior to any big algorithm pushes help the video target where the impressions go?

The algorithm being what it is I doubt there's any hard and fast answers to this but I would be curious what lines up with people's experiences.

My evidence is entirely anecdotal and backed up by zero research, but my most successful videos are the ones where I resisted the urge to share them with friends or Reddit and just let the algorithm do its thing. I've tried sharing them to some relevant subreddits after a week or two if the video doesn't do well on YouTube, but that's never gone well for me.

I've also just started posting snippets of my videos on TikTok but nothing promising yet. Not that I'd expect much crossover traffic between competitors. I've just got my YouTube URL rendered on the video with no mention of YouTube in the description or my bio. This might be dumb but I wonder if TikTok picks up the mention of YouTube from the video itself.

Megazver posted:

I like both of these!

If it was my own video I'd probably use the meme one, because I am incapable of earnestly discussing my feelings without being jokey about it, but I think the DE picture fits your vibe more.

Unfortunately the video tanked. I launched it before the DE thumbnail finished uploading so I'm guessing that had an effect. I'm thinking of relaunching - it got about a hundred views. Is it ever worth relaunching a video or would that be detrimental?

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 4, 2024

7seven7
May 19, 2006

trilobite terror posted:

Try just changing the thumbnail first.

I've changed the thumbnail twice now and each time the views haven't budged. It only got about a hundred views, so maybe that's just too small a number to move the needle? I notice other people in the thread mentioning it helps, but for every single one of my videos, the views they get in the first week are the views they settle on whether I switch out the thumbnail or not. I've recently changed a bunch of thumbnails just to test it again and yeah - not a single new view :shrug:

Sardonik posted:

Welp, here goes nothing! It hasn't hit the algorithm proper yet but I'm feeling fairly confident about this thumbnail:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6moe69uWtp4

I really really like this thumbnail. Good luck!

7seven7
May 19, 2006

trilobite terror posted:

Here’s an, I would say, related video from a small channel that was extremely successful in the past month and was recommended to me today. IDK if this helps you in any way but maybe seeing somebody else’s approach to the subject matter gives you some clarity on what to do next.

I do think your title could be a bit more specific “Finding solace” can relate to a lot of different things, people seek and find solace from stress, frustration, and a lot of other different pressures. Your video is specifically about grief and the title should probably reflect that.

(Content warning: discussions of suicide and grief of an extremely personal nature. I disabled the embed because it’s a really heavy subject matter.)

https://youtu.be/ddITF6uuFQI?si=nuVNnVnU4hY8fPbk

Bit late to this, but this was an excellent watch and gave me some clarity. I'm going to relaunch the video with a new title/titlecard.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Sardonik posted:

:siren: Alert, this is not a drill, Davinci Resolve FINALLY supports native .gif importing. :siren:

I know this doesn't sound like a lot and I'm sure most other editors did it natively just fine for years but god finally. Having to convert things before use was deeply annoying.

Genuinely great news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Sardonik posted:

I'll do a full retrospective on my latest video if anyone's interested but wow do the changes of the clickthrough rate seem interesting:

It's almost like the algorithm actually got better at finding the audience for the video over time. :aaa: I shouldn't be surprised but it does seem like it actually went through the effort of finding and refining the audience - something that feels like it hasn't always happened for me.

For this one I did a few things different that I'd expect could be in play - mainly I unchecked 'send video to subscribers' as I didn't think my existing subscriber base would go for this. Based on the initial period clickthrough rate this was probably the right call as the video did not attract much viewership from being listed as a suggested video when watching my previous videos. The downturns in the clickthrough rate correlate with when I was mainly getting suggested video impressions. The video did *significantly* better with the browse feature impressions, and continues to do pretty well there (relative to my other videos at least).

Average View Duration is kind of rear end (16.6%) but I think that might be at least a little forgivable given it's coming from browse feature impressions. It's quite the contrast with the Stargate SG1 video, which had a much better AVD (31.3%) but far weaker CTR (2.2%). This is probably stating the obvious but I think this is another data point that CTR is king. The new video already has more views than the SG1 video, and I'd expect that trend to continue. Fortunately I have a card and end card set up in the new video pointing people to the SG1 video, so hopefully others will enjoy it in time and help it build an audience.

Also definitely successfully reaching my targeted age demographics which is heartening:

So uh, thanks, algorithm!

Thalgorithm.

I still don't really understand how to raise my CTR other than making my videos as good as I can and try to get better at thumbnails. I understand the concept, but I can't figure out what else I can focus on to raise it. I wish I'd thought of not pushing out my last video to my subs. It did better after relaunching with the new thumbnail, but it still underperformed and stopped getting views after a week like normal:

The CTR was pretty abysmal, I badly missed my age demographics, but I'm super surprised with the average view duration. I was really expecting it to be around 5-10% with the subject and presentation I went with. It's also the first video to get suggested on other vaguely gaming themed videos, so maybe YouTube is starting to figure out where to put my content? Either way I decided to start focusing on my thumbnails again ahead of the new video. Normally I start them after finishing the edit, but by then I'm normally tired of the concept, so I don't give it much brain capacity. This time I'm really trying to think about how to get the concept and the flavour of my content across using the language that I can pick out in other YouTube thumbnails. Here's what I've got so far:

The simple title card is my favourite, but the second is probably the most YouTubey. But I do like the last one and I think it might be the most suitable - it's simple, grabs the eye with the laser beams and colour palette, and might be meme-y enough to get the point across. But I still have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, so I'm probably way off base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5K2n6wi_hg

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 22, 2024