Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Chinatown's High Speed Insemination Services - we're there under an hour or your wife's free.

:piss::bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

d0s posted:

what world do you live in where this won't cause those people to just drive more aggressively and possibly display firearms lmao

Probably somewhere in the PNW. Right now, there are at least four dozen people in Subarus driving three under the limit in the left lane down I5.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Phuzun posted:

I absolutely love when someone speeds past me, weaving through traffic, only for me to catch up several minutes later on the exit ramp. Even better in town, where lights are timed to ensure speeding means you get to sit at a red light while the non-speeders arrive right as it turns green.

They lowered the speed limits where I live by 10-15 mph for every road a few years back. They also neglected to change the timing of the lights. Now you get punished with hitting every traffic light if you go the speed limit. American infrastructure at its finest!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

lmao hope you enjoy running into loose cattle at 150 mph

theres no cattle in the middle of the fuckin desert homeskillet

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Chinatown posted:

theres no cattle in the middle of the fuckin desert homeskillet

oh honey, there are cows everywhere

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

oh honey, there are cows everywhere

just because u see one in every mirror doesnt mean that's true

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

suiting up for my 15 minute commute

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I had a ~73 mile each way commute for ~2 years. It involved driving a highway that no one commuted on & where police only harassed truckers. I regularly did the commute home in ~55 minutes. Morning was closer to 70-80 because there was congestion at one of the earlier parts or I took the other highway. Speed limit was ~55-65 for most of it.

My take on speed limits is most are set arbitrarily low and it blows. People should drive a natural speed for the road, and generally they do and ignore speed limits unless it's a ticket heavy route. Most highways should be 75 or 80-85 at this point, but there are still states setting it arbitrarily low at ~55. Same with lots of other roads where it bounces between 30 and 50 in what should be a ~55-65 zone. In snow and adverse conditions, which are frequent here, most people drive slower naturally too.

If someone wants to go fast(er than me) I always let them pass. I also would just chill if people were going slow. It's going to take about the same amount of time anyway & my schedule was planned with the longer commute in mind. These days I mostly drive ~5-10 over the speed limit because I drive a bunch of stuff where cops love pulling people over and handing out tickets but police here don't ticket for 5-10 over. Need to get into the 15+ zone usually or 10+ and they think they can get you for something else due to profiling your vehicle/road behavior.

Speed limits are a poor compromise. The standard should be "are you driving like an rear end in a top hat relative to other drivers?" But that's too subjective so I dunno.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 8, 2021

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
You guys ever drive on the Autobahn in Germany? That poo poo is so choice and highlights exactly how loving dumb, stupid and wrong the United States is when it comes to roads (and much more!) I swear to god. Spent three weeks in a big Audi wagon just flying around the country and it was a gloriously ego-free cooperative experience. Roads were flawless, not a single person on their phones, nobody cruising in the left lane even if they were going wicked fast. Rigid adherence to the speed limits when present, but once that beautiful 'Unrestricted' sign popped up, :getin:

Pictured: The gauge cluster on a typical drive

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i get in my car and my brain only thinks one thing: full send, maximum attack

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

its all nice on rice posted:

Probably somewhere in the PNW. Right now, there are at least four dozen people in Subarus driving three under the limit in the left lane down I5.

yeah I said earlier in the thread that people do this where I'm at too, and not just a few weirdos but everyone. thing is, they're all in a blind moronic fury at every other driver and angry about the traffic in general so there is tons of aggressiveness and road rage but they haven't collectively worked out how to make highway driving better for everyone so it's just a shitshow. I am from new york and have lived there on and off over the years and for all the poo poo that gets talked about NY/NJ drivers they know how to keep the highway moving so everyone's commute isn't poo poo, and it keeps both the slow drivers and fast drivers mostly happy

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Adaptive cruise control is the poo poo my friends. It should be mandatory on all cars.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Adaptive cruise control is the poo poo my friends. It should be mandatory on all cars.

Ultimately, I think a lot of my concerns are out the window once we automate traffic.

I cannot wait to take driving away from others.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Automated traffic already exists, it's called a train. Abolish cars, put everyone in a metropolis

aceface
Dec 27, 2017

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Earwicker posted:

i drive a prius

LoL you drive a Prius

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Ride a bike

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

KakerMix posted:

You guys ever drive on the Autobahn in Germany? That poo poo is so choice and highlights exactly how loving dumb, stupid and wrong the United States is when it comes to roads (and much more!) I swear to god. Spent three weeks in a big Audi wagon just flying around the country and it was a gloriously ego-free cooperative experience. Roads were flawless, not a single person on their phones, nobody cruising in the left lane even if they were going wicked fast.

There are plenty of dickheads weaving and driving three inches from your bumper while flashing lights when you're overtaking legitimately on the autobahn. Also trying to get into that lane when it's an endless stream of audis and BMWs going 40mph faster than the traffic until they all have to drop anchor because someone managed it is unnecessary stress on both car and driver.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

When I drive on the highway in my city at a buck twenty (Canadian) my range meter thing usually stays the same or goes up. Driving faster is more effective! The limit on that highway is 90.

But North America cities are trash.
I've been watching Not Just Bikes on YouTube a lot and now I long for the superior Dutch city.

https://youtu.be/bglWCuCMSWc

Vroooooooooooooom

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I don't own a car

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Saalkin posted:

When I drive on the highway in my city at a buck twenty (Canadian) my range meter thing usually stays the same or goes up. Driving faster is more effective! The limit on that highway is 90.

But North America cities are trash.
I've been watching Not Just Bikes on YouTube a lot and now I long for the superior Dutch city.

https://youtu.be/bglWCuCMSWc

Vroooooooooooooom

My local council has been trying to petition against the final stage of a bikeway, connecting the two 20km- 30km major bikeways in my city to one fully linked 50km bikeways.

Roads and transport is pushing hard for a carefree city thing in the next 10 years, which I'm all for.

Can't wait for it to be done sometime next year

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
It's cool to go fast.

Although I agree cars should be banned and everybody should use public transport.

But until that's viable I'm going to drive like a maniac and if I drive through the side of a Starbucks then serves you right for letting your average person be in control of a 1 ton death machine.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Butternubs posted:

It's cool to go fast.

This guy gets it

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Drive slow homie

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I live on a dead end street and everyone drives normal except there's one vrbo house at the end of the street and those loving vrbo renters speed up and down the street and I go yell at them and then I email the owner because I'm a cranky old bitch.

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.
If you're a speeder in my city, you will have a stroke trying to drive in some neighborhoods where the locals drive at speeds ranging from "such a nice day for a drive" to "I think we turn left up here somewhere oh wait it's a little further"

I keep it to 5-10mph above the posted limit, or just...go with traffic. I got smokes and a radio, a few extra minutes doesn't bother me.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i never lift, and i certainly never use the brakes

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i never lift, and i certainly never use the brakes

They are tools of the coward.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Saalkin posted:

They are tools of the coward.

:haibrow:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Sophy Wackles posted:

What’s the deal with assholes laying on their horn behind me when I’m waiting for pedestrians to cross in the crosswalk? You want me to murder those people so you can get to your destination 10 seconds faster? gently caress you.

a while ago there was a cat on the highway during morning rush hour so it closed for a few mins so they could catch it. people were incensed. "It's just a cat!" So they were ok with a cat getting murdered so they could get to work 15 minutes sooner that day. By the law of transitive property, this means that they would be willing to murder a cat every day to get to work 15 minutes earlier.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jestery posted:

Ride a bike

Makes those 250 mile drives I like to speed on take a bit longer

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

neeeeeeeeoooooooowwwwwwwmmmmmm

that's me speeding :cool:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Grevlek posted:

When I go the posted speed limit, I lock my cruise control, sit in the middle lane, and watch cars go by.

you can also dial your cruise control to 5 over the limit and do the same thing without pissing other drivers off as much :cool:

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Always wondered what was going on behind the blank indignant expression of someone driving too slow and now i know

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Going fast is not just cool. It's way cooler than following the law.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I am an active driver. Not a reactive driver. Speed limits on highways where I drive are 55 mph, but very few people actually drive that slow. The typical speed people drive is about 65 in the right lane and 75 in the passing lane.

Anyone driving 55 in the passing lane is actually subject to a ticket in my state. The passing lane is for passing and if you’re just cruising going the speed limit in the passing lane then gently caress you.

I 100% recognize that when I’m going 75 instead of 55 it’s not saving that much time, however the total lack of stimulation and shear boredom that occurs when you’re driving behind some slow rear end in a top hat makes the whole trip seem a million times longer.

It’s like watching the world’s shittiest movie about a trunk.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

scott zoloft posted:

Always wondered what was going on behind the blank indignant expression of someone driving too slow and now i know

honestly their speedo is probably just out of whack and they think they're going the speed limit. almost every not new car has this problem. it's super noticeable if you use a gps that also has a speedo. the car will be claiming 70mph but you're actually going like 65mph.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

jump in the car for a quick trip down to the store for some errands, as soon as the tires roll off the driveway and hit the tarmac i'm flat out, on the redline, full tilt, headlong at the machines limit

i'm speeding again

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Some real speed racists itt

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
I don't see corners, stop lights or pedestrians. All I see is the Apex, the chequered flag and my pit crew.

Police car lights? more like Encouragement lights.

I change my tires after every commute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

KakerMix posted:

You guys ever drive on the Autobahn in Germany? That poo poo is so choice and highlights exactly how loving dumb, stupid and wrong the United States is when it comes to roads (and much more!) I swear to god. Spent three weeks in a big Audi wagon just flying around the country and it was a gloriously ego-free cooperative experience. Roads were flawless, not a single person on their phones, nobody cruising in the left lane even if they were going wicked fast. Rigid adherence to the speed limits when present, but once that beautiful 'Unrestricted' sign popped up, :getin:

Pictured: The gauge cluster on a typical drive

Only registered members can see post attachments!