Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
superior choices only
yoshotography
yosotography
yostography
yosography
yosgraphy
yosraphy
View Results

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

polyester concept posted:

yo this is rad as hell and I had no idea SX-70 cameras were compatible with 600 film through a mod. I have the original rainbow one step but it sucks because SX-70 film seems harder to find and the low ISO means I can only really use it outdoors on sunny days. I may have to mod mine (I looked up the process, seems like you just gotta replace a capacitor that controls the shutter speed). I wonder if I could rig something with a switch so I could easily swap between both settings.

I wonder this because very recently i was at a thrift store and found an aftermarket AA-powered flash for the one step (called the nissin FIP II) so I don't have to find flash cubes, and it works really well. but my understanding is that when the flash is attached, the camera will always use a fixed shutter speed, and if I am using 600 film it would result in way over exposed photos. I would like to retain the ability to use SX-70 film and the flash if I ever do come across any

There's custom PCBs these days that allow you full manual control so that's always an option.

Jake did my camera and he has very in-depth videos on both SX70 and One-step style cameras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHAicZBfimI

I was chatting to him after getting some flash cubes and you need to be shooting SX70 film for those to expose correctly while he recommends the Mint flash bar for 600 film. The flash exposure on the SX70s is tied to the focus so the closer you focus the smaller the aperture gets.

I actually had my flash cubes out yesterday trying to figure out a good distance for 600 film while focused at infinity. 5-7 meters looks good for the tree, the utility pole is too far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 16, 2024

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
meta af

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i don’t have the motivation to take one picture and this clown is over here taking pictures of pictures

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Y'all should take more photos

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

this isn't special, but it IS heaps of bokeh

personally, i've been taking pictures, i'm not sure why i've not been engaging in :justpost: though. i'll see about putting together a backlog post in the next couple of days.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Carry a camera, any camera, take photos, have a good time.

I've been playing with my Mavica and doing some art that looks like it should be from a PC-98 game.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

holy poo poo do i ever want to preorder this game

apricot blossoms from today:

apricot blossoms from yesterday with snow:

my search for cherry blossoms in snow continues.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i can ride bikes or take pictures, and if it's not raining I'm riding bikes

need a clone for picture taking duties

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

just dropped in my mailbox; £1600 preorder

:jackbud: I was considering buying a lightly-touched CANON R6II for a couple grand, maybe instead I don't do that :O

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’m a big time X100 fan but the pricing is making me consider other options. it’s a great camera but one of the things I love about it is I don’t have to worry about it like I would a “real” camera.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

the light was really good on these, and i’m honestly impressed with how good an image my otherwise obnoxiously dim “i need some kind of long glass on this walk i guess” 55-300 4.5-6.3 can make.

it does focus properly fast at least. if they put this motor in the 300/4, i’d buy a second copy in a heartbeat.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sweeet

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

polyester concept posted:

i found an older tokina 150-500mm 5.6 (constant aperture :eyepop: ) at a thrift store for $65 so of course I bought it. it’s FD mount and I already have the adapter for my mirrorless. this is gonna be fun to play with

(not my pic but this is it lol)

lol hell yeah that's like my FD setup

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i still haven't been using my real gear but i just saw this while i was taking out eggy

it wasn't moving (too cold i guess) so he just very carefully avoided it and then stayed far away lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
by the time i got out there with some cameras it was already moving, so i ended up just using the Q7 + 02 telephoto + 10mm macro ring

then some guys showed up to wash the house windows so i moved it myself, but that only stirred it further

then eggy got brave and smooshed it lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oh no eggy
[cool pictures though]

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

qirex posted:

oh no eggy
[cool pictures though]

well, the window guys left and i noticed eggy in fact didn't kill it, just probably permanently wounded it lol

that gave me a chance to finally test out the c-mount 35mm + C macro tubes though (with the G100). gimme a few minutes to look through the import

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
gonna be honest watching it flail and flop around with a broken wing was just sad, but that meant i had to use burst + keep more of a distance than i'd hoped

quite pleased with the c-mount kit though. that's a $30 lens (i linked it quite a while ago and it's out of stock now, but if someone is interested in a similar kit i can try to find one). and since it's small it fits pretty well with the G100

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
and yeah i realize none of these are particularly good pics, just a cool bug. i can try and take some actually good stuff after i have some nerves in my spine burned off next next monday

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
since i had it handy here's some more serious attempts with the c-mount + g100

obligatory flowers

more dragonfly

bonus non-macro

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
bonus bonus (kinda out of focus, but c'mon that's cute)

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

since i had it handy here's some more serious attempts with the c-mount + g100

obligatory flowers

more dragonfly

i like this frame of the flowers and the lighting combination for this frame of the darner is stellar

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

saw some cool red winged blackbirds today. had bike, not camera. such is life

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so true

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
man that 35mm c-mount lens really is a good fit for the g100

it looks comically small on the g85 even

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

so as of today, i finally got paid for a gig i took last summer, taking a photo of something in dc to serve as a book cover for a work about race in america. i ended up taking a bunch of shots with different symbolism, but eventually, the authors selected a photo of the national museum of african-american history and culture dwarfing the washington monument (a building constructed via benefit of enslaved african and african-american labor) as their candidate. publisher approved and it went out like that. wild stuff!

because this was kind of a side project at work, there was a shitload of hemming and hawing about how to pay me, and it took from sometime around august 1 until literally today to get the pay from the gig. i guess it’s harder to value the arts than you might otherwise think at a college that contains an art program.

but anyway, it also happens to be that the book published today, and everything becoming real all at the same time really has me feeling overwhelmed by it. this is only my third “professional” gig, after the two weddings, and i don’t know. maybe it’s because of how crap i feel about my computer-adjacent job these days, but i can’t help but think maybe i need to parlay this stuff into an actual professional pursuit somehow. at least maybe buy a larger format printer and sell images at street festivals or something… computer touching is losing its luster

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

to make up for textdump:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

nurrwick posted:

so as of today, i finally got paid for a gig i took last summer, taking a photo of something in dc to serve as a book cover for a work about race in america. i ended up taking a bunch of shots with different symbolism, but eventually, the authors selected a photo of the national museum of african-american history and culture dwarfing the washington monument (a building constructed via benefit of enslaved african and african-american labor) as their candidate. publisher approved and it went out like that. wild stuff!

because this was kind of a side project at work, there was a shitload of hemming and hawing about how to pay me, and it took from sometime around august 1 until literally today to get the pay from the gig. i guess it’s harder to value the arts than you might otherwise think at a college that contains an art program.

but anyway, it also happens to be that the book published today, and everything becoming real all at the same time really has me feeling overwhelmed by it. this is only my third “professional” gig, after the two weddings, and i don’t know. maybe it’s because of how crap i feel about my computer-adjacent job these days, but i can’t help but think maybe i need to parlay this stuff into an actual professional pursuit somehow. at least maybe buy a larger format printer and sell images at street festivals or something… computer touching is losing its luster

hey, it's a start! congrats bud :)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

nurrwick posted:

to make up for textdump:

cool bird pic

have another

bird stick.jpg

left the house twice in one day. incredible

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 3, 2024

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

bird stick.jpg

excellent bords

quote:

left the house twice in one day. incredible
bravery noted, excellent work :hfive:

it’s flower season again, so it’s also time for heaps of bokeh

and because I also went out of the house twice today… here is the exactly one well-focused shot of a short-eared owl from this evening’s effort:

i don’t think i can call heat distortion and my steadfast refusal to actually use my monopod, even when it’s right there in the trunk, a failing of the camera or lens. im the pos today :haw:

they weren’t all trash, at least

nurrwick fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 4, 2024

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i love owls

weird little freaks

local yard rat

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 4, 2024

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

now that is one handsome dog

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

dang that is a fine ratpic, nice work!

so i'm being tasked with recommending some kind of camera setup for some grad students to use for snapshots and video for social posts that will be of better quality than the output they've gotten from phones. i had thought i remembered you all talking about one platform that had a better wireless transfer app than everyone else, but search is not returning it.

as i look generally at kits, though, how bad an idea would it be to throw an mft camera and 12-whatever zoom at people that have never used an ilc before and need to get images onto the web without editing? i like the idea of the g95 and its 12-60 but i also see this 12-45 f4 zoom which would probably be a better thing in the long run considering how much indoors work is likely to happen... but then again people are probably going to whine about size. if the mft answer is "not bad at all" can i get a referral code to make sure both beeftweeter and achmed jones get commission shares?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol yeah i was gonna say "mft owns." ms j got me a 14-140 zoom for it (3.5-5.6 iirc) for valentine's day, and it's totally replaced my 12-60 for obvious reasons. it handles All The Things unless you Gotta Go Fast (25mm is great for this) or Gotta Get Close (my 30mm macro is good for this, but i'd like to get a 60mm at some point so i scare bugs less)

i'd say just get a kit, and if the kit lens isn't good enough a fast prime will do the needful for cheap. this assumes that they'll be ok changing lenses. but i'm not very good at photography, so it's probably best to ignore me tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

don’t take this the wrong way - “i’m not good at photography” is probably extremely relevant here because i have absolutely no idea if the people they’re considering hiring for this position are even going to be aware of a photog requirement, much less into it. a walkaround zoom feels like the right answer, more so than what I found myself wishing we forced our marketing people to use instead of their phones for social snaps (a gr iii or iiix). i don’t expect these people to have the attention span to crop and scale images like you’d need to from a fixed 18mm aps-c view. so yeah, that actually does help as a perspective!

i do know we want them using Actual Equipment instead of their iphone 11 that’s skidded across the floor back-down a dozen times with mic ports upgraded with four years of pocket lint. we’ve seen those results and they’re sad as hell.