Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Depends on the state. I forget the cutoff in Maine but it’s something like pre-1995 you don’t need a title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can you register the bike if you dont live in Maine though?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

e :D

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 26, 2024

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
seconding/thirding the title thing, not sure what the process is in California to get a new title issued on a 40-year-old vehicle but I imagine it'll be more of a pain in the rear end than getting that bike running would be

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I mean, i want a new one. but my budget is more fancy sport tourer than flagship bagger. the VFR is great but the luggage and stuff is already starting to wear out. and the bike is showing its age a little after 6 years of commuting and touring

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Absolutely rescue that oldwing, but be prepared to do psychic battle with the DMV

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

On my '76, it required a trip to the State Police to do a "Vehicle Number Identification" because the VIN is not in standard format.

They verified that the number stamped on the the thing was what I'd written on the paperwork and that the assemblage of metal parts was motorcycle-shaped.

Fill out everything to the best of your ability then jump through their hoops. It'll be worth it if you can ever get the carbs working.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can get the carbs working. They aren’t too bad as far as racks of 4 carbs go

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I don't care that it's raining with up to 45mph gusts and I've a shitload of errands to run. Absolutely wasn't in the mood to drive a car around.

200 miles on the tank repair and it's still holding. Nothing more than gravel/twin track though.
The bushing bits came in from KTM so I'll throw those on and take it out to the back 40. Few jumps/drops skill building will prove if it's trustworthy or not.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dang those KTM side cases look hella neat.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dented, as god intended

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hepco & Becker Gobis. Twin wall. Doubles as a cooler. Doubles as a 1 ish gallon water tank if a ktm petcock is screwed onto the case.

They're too small for a helmet and are heavy for what they are but are practically indestructible. The dent was my fault ehhh 6 years ago on a rocky jeep trail I probably had no business being on :D

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

taking my touring bike on some sweet jumps

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMrxee_fazo

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Absolutely inspired song choice

FlyFishinInnuendo
Apr 14, 2005

Knew it would be this video before clicking, watched the whole thing again anyway.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

There's no more appropriate word to describe what's happening here than bitchin.

But every time I see this video it makes me aware of how terrible I am at riding dirt.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

dealer in norcal has the 23 wing for 5000 off
:thinking:

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i don't know if this is the right place to post this but I found it remarkable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNbcTorZn3c

mad respect for the wing

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

That's the same bike that did the 1000 mile back road video someone posted in Cycle pics lol. the trip video is newer so I think that happened after it flipped down the hill a bunch of times?

Also one of his videos is him taking it to the sand dunes with a custom paddle tire. Reading comments on a video is usually a horrible idea but in this case it paid off, this wing has lived quite a life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j702iGiKEwU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

And it just keeps going. What a beast

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Kinda like the new bmw 1300. It’s the same weight as my VFR somehow? Idk how it will feel having a big front wheel or if an adv style is right for me, I will never leave pavement except to pull into a gravel campsite once a year maybe

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was just shocked I could flat foot the 1300.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If portly uncles can't flat foot the bike they'll just go somewhere else, you'd be throwing away sales

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Portly uncles have been part of BMW's core GS demographic going on twenty years now, so that doesn't add up

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
It’s the same uncles they were just a bit less portly and more nimble 20 years ago.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Reject adv embrace early 00s sports tourers (the k1200rs is rad and it's shafted af)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The real adv was the bills I paid along the way

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
K1600 or bust
I rode one. Jesus what a heavy bike.

I can't flatfoot my bike with both feet. But I don't really care. Most humans cant with a 37" seat height.

Buddy/neighbor/etc has a R100gs. It's purple. I didn't know it was such. But now that I do...
I kinda gotta have it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd love to ride a k1600 just to see if it's the absurdly sporty Germanic Goldwing I imagine it to be

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

And here I was looking for a K75. That's.. *counts* .. 1,525 less! I need to step it up.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
My impression was it's the bike to buy if I'm going cross country a couple times per week for life of the warranty.

I've done Tuscon to SF (1k-mi-ish) in a day on the old ktm. It was kind of a slog for me. The bmw would just shrug that off and you'd be up for making a return trip.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The longest I've done in a day was about 500-ish miles, on the SV, and while I wouldn't classify it as "fun" in any way, it was fine. 1000 miles sounds like a pain in the butt. Literally.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Interestingly I can do longer stretches on a bicycle than I can a motorcycle. Did my first century last year and I was slow af but I finished it. Meanwhile 6 hours on the vfr has me desperate for a shower and a beer

Think I might ride down to LA here in a couple weeks

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

A MIRACLE posted:

Interestingly I can do longer stretches on a bicycle than I can a motorcycle. Did my first century last year and I was slow af but I finished it. Meanwhile 6 hours on the vfr has me desperate for a shower and a beer

Think I might ride down to LA here in a couple weeks

Sup century buddy?
I've done a few. Longest was 140ish miles. Brooks B17 kept it... not comfy, but planted?
Not sure how to put it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Sup century buddy?
I've done a few. Longest was 140ish miles. Brooks B17 kept it... not comfy, but planted?
Not sure how to put it.

I did the Tour of the Unknown coast last ... septemberish. I guess its technically 99 miles and about 9000 ft of climbing. super pretty. also on a brooks but it was the C17. zero comfort issues but muh legs were dead at the end haha

need to wash my VFR, it still has death valley on it from last year

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I once did about 14 hours on a GSXR-600, like 6am to 8pm, god only knows how many miles, and it was pure torture.

I did 600 miles on the wing one day last summer and it was really enjoyable all the way through. Would recommend

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I once did about 14 hours on a GSXR-600, like 6am to 8pm, god only knows how many miles, and it was pure torture.
:stare: drat as someone who just did a ~2 hour ride recently on the CBR600RR my aging body can't even contemplate that.

I'm eying something like a smaller sport tourer for my next bike. The Triumph Tiger 660 checks a lot of boxes (on paper at least). Maybe not dadbike thread material but dad-adjacent, for the dad with sportier pretenses. Can also be fully dadified with luggage and huge windscreens

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I did the thing a few times where you cycle from London to Paris in <24hr to watch the last stage of the Tour de France. It is a long way! Strava is telling me 320km of cycling. There's obviously a ferry in the middle so you get a little break. Fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

RightClickSaveAs posted:

:stare: drat as someone who just did a ~2 hour ride recently on the CBR600RR my aging body can't even contemplate that.

I'm eying something like a smaller sport tourer for my next bike. The Triumph Tiger 660 checks a lot of boxes (on paper at least). Maybe not dadbike thread material but dad-adjacent, for the dad with sportier pretenses. Can also be fully dadified with luggage and huge windscreens

I think my perfect bike would be one of these with the 765. And cruise control. Maybe they'll put the higher power 660 from the new Daytona in it sometime.