Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
As someone who bought a house that had … 4 cars in the barn (maybe 5? It was a long time ago), I hope they find out the owners quickly because it’s a huge hassle if you can’t.

The husband of the couple my ex-wife and I bought the place from had rapidly accelerating dementia and the wife died maybe 2 weeks or so after we closed. We didn’t follow up on the cars until too late and as best as we could tell, all of their registrations had long expired and we couldn’t figure out who they legally belonged to. All we knew was that they were storing them for a friend.

This was in Ohio and I think it took a year with no contact before we could consider them abandoned. We had no interest in trying to fix them up (they were all the same car - I don’t remember what model, but some sort of early 80’s land boat), so we had to find someone who would come get them who felt like going through the hassle of getting salvage titles.

Luckily it was a big barn.

Maybe their state’s rules are simpler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

I guess vstrom is a dad bike? Really want a newer DL1000

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
The paternalism of the bike increases with the number of cases.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

T Zero posted:

The paternalism of the bike increases with the number of cases.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If your bike's name or trim level sounds like a gated community it's a dadbike

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Calligraphy-rear end bike

OmniumOccidental
Feb 27, 2021

Max DADBIKE with my Aprilia Falco. Upon purchasing it in Baton Rouge, I immediately embarked to the Florida Keys and then back to San Diego.

Sport touring liter bikes are the raddest dad bikes and the forums for my model are seemingly infested with British men in their 50's to prove it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah my readers can’t make them pictures any more than a vague blur so I’ll take your word for it.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

You've gotta click on them, Dad.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I miss my Aprilia Falco and still have the option to purchase it back. Thanks for the reminder

GriszledMelkaba fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 19, 2021

OmniumOccidental
Feb 27, 2021

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I miss my Aprilia Falco and still have the option to purchase it back. Thanks for the reminder

They’re a trip, right?

All the character of an Italian bike, reliable and max dadbike status.

Currently searching for some lighter slipons.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I put a bunch of miles on my father in law’s NC700 today and was surprised at how much I liked it this time around. It was nice to have a big rear end windshield and the DCT was convenient.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I apologize but I unwittingly exaggerated the size of my topcase earlier by 2%. At current rate of dad, this gives me roughly 30 riding years before one of the kids finally succeeds in demonstrating my incapacity and takes the license.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I read the "SH46" as "shag" on first glance. Would have been fitting for a certain type of dad, I suppose.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Remy Marathe posted:

I apologize but I unwittingly exaggerated the size of my topcase earlier by 2%. At current rate of dad, this gives me roughly 30 riding years before one of the kids finally succeeds in demonstrating my incapacity and takes the license.

Thanks I love it

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I put a bunch of miles on my father in law’s NC700 today and was surprised at how much I liked it this time around. It was nice to have a big rear end windshield and the DCT was convenient.

This last year I
1. Became an actual father
2. Bought an NC750
3. Bought a high-vis outfit including airbag vest and helmet.

At this point I think I've reached at least a local maxima of dad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You are the apex predator of the new balance section in your local footlocker

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You are the apex predator of the new balance section in your local footlocker

Heck yeah, cross that off my bucket list.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

BabelFish posted:

This last year I
1. Became an actual father
2. Bought an NC750
3. Bought a high-vis outfit including airbag vest and helmet.

At this point I think I've reached at least a local maxima of dad.

Do you:

1. Have a pressure washer?
2. Always have a "cold one" after using said pressure washer?

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Yes, I dadbike. Peak sensible and cheap.

Pretty much everything I've done with it in the year I've had it has only been to optimize its dadbikeness. Took off the aftermarket exhaust within days of buying it, put on heated grips and a phone charger + holder, changed to a more sturdy top box, and did all the service things not because they were really that bad but because reliable and responsible. I'm also wearing a bright yellow jacket.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The first gen versys is such a cool looking bike imo

That’s the dad talking, I know, but I said what I said :colbert:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The first gen versys is such a cool looking bike imo

That’s the dad talking, I know, but I said what I said :colbert:

And then you ride one. And it's like the motorcycle equivalent of standing in front of the grill drinking a bud light with your neighbor who you don't really like, but you're stuck in the same boat with anyway, on a Sunday, while your one kid is hitting the other kid with a pool noodle, your wife is fully checked out and halfway down a box of white wine, and you stare into the brick facade of the house opposite thinking about how you're going to get up in the morning and drive to your job that you hate but need because it pays for all this, this is your life now, ain't it grand. Kawasaki Versys.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, I owned one, so I know first hand how absolutely terminally boring they are. Their styling writes a check that that motor cannot possibly cash

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

And then you ride one. And it's like the motorcycle equivalent of standing in front of the grill drinking a bud light with your neighbor who you don't really like, but you're stuck in the same boat with anyway, on a Sunday, while your one kid is hitting the other kid with a pool noodle, your wife is fully checked out and halfway down a box of white wine, and you stare into the brick facade of the house opposite thinking about how you're going to get up in the morning and drive to your job that you hate but need because it pays for all this, this is your life now, ain't it grand. Kawasaki Versys.

:chefkiss:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Somebody ought to swap an MT-07 motor into a Versys just to see what happens

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

Somebody ought to swap an MT-07 motor into a Versys just to see what happens

The world's worst t7?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The extra disappointing part is the versys chassis, suspension and brakes are all really better than they have any right to be.

The chassis says “fun” and the motor says “wet fart”

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

the motor says “wet fart”

Idk, me being a total beginner it's enough engine to provide me with any amount of fun I have any business having. Since I can easily outrun my brothers oversized moped, I've never so far felt 60-something hp isn't fully sufficient.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Is the Versys engine the same as the Ninja 650? For all the hate that engine gets, I can't understand why it was a favorite of stunters for a while.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ionn posted:

Idk, me being a total beginner it's enough engine to provide me with any amount of fun I have any business having. Since I can easily outrun my brothers oversized moped, I've never so far felt 60-something hp isn't fully sufficient.

There are lots of different kinds of horsepower and we only talk in simplistic, childish numbers because marketing is a force of immense evil. There are bikes with 150+ that make you fall asleep and bikes with 30 that feel like ramming a salamander up your nostril. The k650 is a very dependable, very uninteresting way to deliver sixty horsepower, just perfect for this thread

Is the Versys engine the same as the Ninja 650? For all the hate that engine gets, I can't understand why it was a favorite of stunters for a while.

It's the same one yeah.

It was probably popular because it's very rugged, has no fragile bits sticking out, and is commonly available.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s very reliable, torquey, compact and makes good power. It’s just boring along with all that.

ionn posted:

It’s very reliable, torquey, compact and makes good power. It’s just boring along with all that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The ninja 650 motor was also the engine swap of choice for aprilia sxv 550’s that blew up

I want to be clear: they are very good motors. But good and fun/interesting are two different things

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
they also work drat good in klrs.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I love my NC700x. It doesn't have DCT, but I do have saddlebags on it. I also wear a hi-vis vest and full gear at all times and I'm in my 40s. I'm not a father, but I guess I'm a bit of a dad.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
So once you are a fully signed up dadbike member (2nd gen Versys with panniers, top box and touring screen), does it stay with you even after moving on to another bike?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lungboy posted:

So once you are a fully signed up dadbike member (2nd gen Versys with panniers, top box and touring screen), does it stay with you even after moving on to another bike?

Every not-terrible bike you ride will seem incredibly impractical and over the top.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Eventually you’ll get the urge to get something really sporty, engaging and quick.

So you’ll go out and get a used SV

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I was finding that crossing town 2-up on a 200cc engine, five gears up and down every. freaking. stoplight with an anemic set of brakes is a lot of work. Work that might be avoided if I can find something with 40+hp and maybe a couple of really plush seats that are easy to climb into.

The vanvan has to stay though.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
A dadbike is one you can take to Home Depot and buy some things not considering the fact that you brought a motorcycle, but also not having to worry about it because your bags are filled with bungies and cargo netting.

I love this fuckin' thing. My Ducati is unreliable, my Kawasaki has as much power as my vacuum cleaner, my Hellcat sometimes fails to start because the engine is so large, and my Grand Cherokee is.. actually my Grand Cherokee is fine. But I've never had a single issue with this Harley Davidson.

Actually that's not entirely true. I took it grocery shopping once and a bag of flour broke in one of my bags, so for a while everything came out looking like it was in Pablo Escobar's carryon, but otherwise it's been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Strife posted:

A dadbike is one you can take to Home Depot and buy some things not considering the fact that you brought a motorcycle, but also not having to worry about it because your bags are filled with bungies and cargo netting.

Tiny dad bike? I also have a windshield and a diy top case that go on it sometimes

Only registered members can see post attachments!