Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I've been told they even have a 6th gear now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Jazzzzz posted:

I've been told they even have a 6th gear now

I haven't ridden a six speed yet but I'm sure it's entirely superfluous

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
it would be, mostly just gives you a gear to hit when your muscle memory from other bikes tells you to upshift from 5th at highway cruise speeds

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I've been slowly turning my FZ6 into a dadbike with a small tank bag, a 10L dry bag that more often than not stays strapped to the pillion, and dry bag panniers for trips.

My mesh jacket also went from a Bilt to a Klim. I don't think I'll ever be interested in an Aerostich, but I do want an airbag vest

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
The place I bought my valk from has another one for sale, 9k for a 2014 in all black and 1500k on the odometer. Beautiful bike that's not even broken in (which likely means it needs things changed just from sitting). Wonder if it's that low priced because the used bike markets getting better or because they don't think it'll sell. Bikes definitely worth more then 9 k imo

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Dadbike overload

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0kgfgmFZhk

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

dear god my poor brovaries

Very wholesome click. Highly recommend.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Sylvain seems like such a great guy :3: I've been catching his videos for a while now.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Bike status: dadded.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Something about Kawasakis in white is just :kiss:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whoops

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
You can't do that on a dad bike

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

You can't do that on a dad bike

You can't tell me what to do! You're not even my real dad!!!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

are those the feelers on your goldwing?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Not anymore they're not

:dadjoke:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Not anymore they're not

:dadjoke:

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I'm attempting to turn the FZ6 into a dadbike, but I'm unsure if the top mount and seat for this old thing are actually still available. Yeah SHAD's storefront let me put the order through, but I could also put 99 quantity of the top rack into cart and checkout and it didn't tell me no, and I doubt they're sitting on this huge pile of racks for this old piece.

But if it all comes through, then I'll be pretty happy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

that looks like a nice setup. I've been browsing Gold Wings on the Cycle Trader. The new ones are sooo nice but for $30k I should probably get a miata.. right??

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do you want a Miata or a Goldwing?

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Still stings a bit being told my Magna is more dadbike than my dads Rebel 500.

Whats more is that I don't even have kids!

I have lotsa nieces and nephews. Soooo..unclebike!

Really need to get my rear end in gear and get that clutch hose tidied better. Looks doofy.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

metallicaeg posted:

I'm attempting to turn the FZ6 into a dadbike, but I'm unsure if the top mount and seat for this old thing are actually still available. Yeah SHAD's storefront let me put the order through, but I could also put 99 quantity of the top rack into cart and checkout and it didn't tell me no, and I doubt they're sitting on this huge pile of racks for this old piece.

But if it all comes through, then I'll be pretty happy

I share your skepticism, love my Shad case though and it's been appropriately tough for a couple years of pretty much daily use, hope it all comes in.

I'd be curious to hear what you ultimately get with that brakelight. I was hunting a taillight kit for the red parts of my SH46 when I first got it, some pictures made it look like the right shape for that, but after emailing them it was apparently some separate light for under the box and I never did find a lighting kit- the box has cutouts and channels for wiring up brake lights, but either they never made the lighting kit or they stopped making it.

e; "explandable" lol

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Remy Marathe posted:

I share your skepticism, love my Shad case though and it's been appropriately tough for a couple years of pretty much daily use, hope it all comes in.

I'd be curious to hear what you ultimately get with that brakelight. I was hunting a taillight kit for the red parts of my SH46 when I first got it, some pictures made it look like the right shape for that, but after emailing them it was apparently some separate light for under the box and I never did find a lighting kit- the box has cutouts and channels for wiring up brake lights, but either they never made the lighting kit or they stopped making it.

e; "explandable" lol

Buying from Shad directly it paired me with what I'm assuming is the correct light, but looking at Revzilla (which is twice the price of Shad direct, wtf) there are two models of lights. I'd have guessed that the light is fixed to the rack rather than the case, but I could be wrong on that.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Alright so that first order fell through, they were "4-8 weeks" out on the FZ6 rack, so I had them cancel the order.

Ended up finding a used rack off of eBay, grabbed the SH48 instead of the 46 off of Revzilla, the top rack add-on, and the expandable version of the soft inner bag. Skipped the brake light. Glad I skipped the light, as I was assuming it was merely an additional light source, but with how the mounting plate is set, it would have obscured half of the factory light and it's not blocking it as-is.

Drilling out for the back pads was simple, but the paper template for the steel add-on rack on top was not the best, and had to re-drill one of the holes. Holds both of my XXL helmets when they're on their side. Still has a few inches on top of the inner bag expanded out.

Really happy with it. Will be testing out passenger comfort tomorrow

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
aw yeah shad dad club.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I freely admit that my givi-dadded bike looks like poo poo with the top case on, but man it's just so practical that it's extremely rare that I ride without it. Looking like poo poo is an integral component of dadbiking IMHO. I rarely use the panniers but they're great to have at hand for whatever needs that might arise, also long trips. I've ridden with a backpack exactly once this season when I had to transport a slab of marble that was too big to fit in the hard cases. Never doing that again though, it didn't feel very safe.

Dadbike at the easternmost foothills of the Scandinavian mountain range cheading towards Norway in July ^^^

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I don't use my top box much thanks to an obnoxious front-end wobble which hopefully I'll get around to fixing this winter.

Still good for a casual 200-mile ride and a stop for groceries on the way home.

FBS fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 6, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It looks so much better without it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Side cases only are for sure the more aesthetically pleasing choice, but being able to just plop a helmet in a locking top box is :kiss:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Side cases only are for sure the more aesthetically pleasing choice, but being able to just plop a helmet in a locking top box is :kiss:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
had the goldwing for over a year and finally made a grocery run in it today. gallon of apple cider, a pumpkin, and two full bags fit into the top box with room to spare, gotta love it

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Side cases do look better but more often than not I just run the top box. It's a billion times more convenient and my wife likes using it as a backrest.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I only take the top box because the side cases don't fit my helmet and their latching mechanism is sus.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Also heavier things haul better with less effect on the handling of the bike on the sides, lower to the ground and not as far back either. But yeah, being able to just stash the helmet is such a huge deal for me on the daily.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

All the built-in helmet locks I've seen are so tight that getting the D-ring over them is a pain in the rear end. If bikes had a nice long retractable cable lock in the head somehow, long enough to run through a jacket arm and the helmet, that'd be :kiss:

I'd still need the topcase for all that other stuff though.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Sooo there’s a tracer 9 gt on sale near me and I’m kinda wondering if it’s worth a trade in on my vfr. The vfr is of course iconic but the tracer seems really comfy lol. I don’t have the 30 grand for a gold wing. I mean I do but there’s nothing for sale here. I mostly ride on medium to very long 2000+mi trips. Next spring going to ride NorCal->Seattle->Denver->Appalachia and back

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The Sargent seats I put on the FJR did the trick, no more screaming rear end pain after a couple hours. Problem is it has me sitting further back in the seat because of the way it's shaped, so I had to lean forwards more and my lower back was not happy with that.

Went for Helibars, installed them today. Haven't ridden yet, but just sitting on it I think they'll work out great. They give one inch rise and 3 inches to the rear, nice and neutral.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Mine came with Helibars and I couldn't get used to having the controls in my lap like that, but it was undeniably more comfortable.

I figure when I'm ready to sit up that straight I'll just buy a gold wing

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I didn't think the seat was all that bad on the FZ6 until I went with a Shad one which was like the only thing I could find from any of the big names, being a 20 year old ride and all.

Stupidly more comfortable; I think I'm absolutely sold on aftermarket seats for any bike I own from this point forward

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I bought that shad comfort seat after my first weekend ride when I bought my fz6.
I also found it pretty funny that when I saw it again after the next owner had made it his own, it was more important to him to have the solo seat plastic cover thingy that only fits the stock seat..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Purchased my new Dadbike today (2001 FJR1300) will take some pics once I have de-grandpa'd it. It has a top box *and* panniers.

(The top box is a Givi, not a Shad, shadly.)