Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

My dadbike is a 200cc VanVan with a 47L top case that I bought after 10 years of not riding. There is a cargo net that I like because it reminds me of Kevin Costner's badass rigging in Waterworld.

I get out-accelerated by cars and that's great because I'm working on not giving a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Holy poo poo I can pay money for a black and yellow plate?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I apologize but I unwittingly exaggerated the size of my topcase earlier by 2%. At current rate of dad, this gives me roughly 30 riding years before one of the kids finally succeeds in demonstrating my incapacity and takes the license.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I was finding that crossing town 2-up on a 200cc engine, five gears up and down every. freaking. stoplight with an anemic set of brakes is a lot of work. Work that might be avoided if I can find something with 40+hp and maybe a couple of really plush seats that are easy to climb into.

The vanvan has to stay though.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Dog Case posted:

Tiny dad bike? I also have a windshield and a diy top case that go on it sometimes

Fascination with an effectively and efficiently secured load, therefore dad, therefore dadbike.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I mean yeah, you don't just ride off all willy-nilly.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Sticking my dick in the mashed potatoes

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

You know it never crossed my mind, it's possible the PO did during the 2400 miles he had it.

e; They must've been little stick-ons on the stock mirrors. In hindsight they held up just great, but I don't think I really used them. Convex mirrors make more sense for a box truck or something where you can't just look behind you, and the view was tiny.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 16, 2022

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Took a ride, it stayed on (sorry gross phone HDR)

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 25, 2022

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Warning to Dads: It already has license plate bolt reflectors, so you won't be able to add them.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

-Tire worn to the quick, because there's nothing fun about cracking open your wallet

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Near as I can tell the 2020 Triumph T120's FSM is only available in digital format, through an $8/month subscription, in a bespoke web presentation format that doesn't let you print pages to take outside, because intellectual property.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

A screengrab process of everything in the Triumph's manual looks way too tedious for my blood, and I have painstakingly digitized and applied metadata for every single tape cassette, vinyl album and photo I owned.

Stealing it properly's over this computer janitor's head, so my current plan is to turn the subscription on and off as I need it, and the months where I subscribe I will screengrab and write tables for everything I end up referencing to my Gsheet for the T120.

vvv just a cursory search on TriumphRat.com without luck; I haven't identified the cranky old fountain of wisdom for Triumphs yet.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 7, 2022

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Well they presumably have coded so much that they think it's really easy, and would flip you poo poo for overthinking it.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Hells yes, I can't effectively drink while I ride, but I have a thermos that has to get to work every day and after a handful of failed in-topbox attachment attempts I accepted the fact that an external holster is the only way.

Mind you I'm leary of putting loose objects in front of me, and there's a zip-tie line as a failsafe to keep it from rotating down at the tire if the clamp fails. Losing the coffee would be bad.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Not in practice these last 5 months, but my ride in is only ~4 miles at VanVan speeds so I believe the bugs are being gently moved around the cylinder on clouds of air. Sooner or later I'm sure it'll pick up something unpleasant.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

That looks like the one I got, keep checking the clamp knob if you did it hand tight, I continued to get new play the first few weeks, probably till I hand tightened on a cold morning.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I am absolutely not in the market, but check out the storage
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1673881172973651

Meep Meep

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

1991 Goldwing
"Running when parked"
Has a title
$250

Surely all it needs is a topbox and an LED light bar from Amazon.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 30, 2022

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I'd certainly love a preload butan, instead of digging out a rusting metal stick whose handle gets closer to breaking off every time the passenger count changes. That and a shaft drive would be sweet, sweet motorcycling retirement.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Sweet Jesus

Full circle to a needlessly cramped car

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

My first and most critical warm weather gear is some wool and cotton longjohns. I'll live in the things till spring now.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Sadly those who scorn top cases will never understand. When the 8-piece chicken bucket with sides drops straight down into your thermal tote bag, and that nestles perfectly in the topcase, you actually touch god for a moment.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I went to look at that one FJR expecting a dadbike based on the very daddish text of the ad, only to find the abused and rusted results of a bad owner. That said it was way older, 60k miles, the neglect was pretty obvious in person and after talking to the guy, and the crunchy steering was hard to hide.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Have to travel a bit to vegas and then LA the week after that. Wondering if I should just take the interceptor as airfare is $$$ right now. 1700ish mile round trip

We've been getting unusual bouts of snow and rain in Cali, I5 was recently closed due to blizzard, though I don't get the impression anyone expects another winter storm like we just went through.
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/snow-closes-grapevine-california-interstate-5-17806954.php

Forecast aside though, what's your tolerance for long hauls and experience with the area? I rode through LA to Phoenix once, and in the words of a friend I wouldn't trade the experience for a thousand dollars, and I wouldn't pay a nickel to do it again. Crossing Arizona was... straight. Really, really straight, which made it hard to stay attentive. It was hot as a furnace at the time which didn't help. Los Angeles is stressful and best tackled while you're sharp and awake.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

I lived and commuted on a moto in LA for about 7 years, recently relocating up here to the redwood coast. Longest haul was actually my move up here, about 700 miles. So this would be my longest trip on the bike by far. Trip is late april

I say YOLO then, that loop looks like an amazing time. I've never ridden something that long either, for me it would be paramount to pace the ride out and take some whole "down days" of just chilling at the campsite or town and staying off the bike. Even in a car I'm beat after 6 hours on the road, if I tried your loop it looks like I'd need a minimum of 6 days of travel and 3 down days to not start hating it.

e; it's the dadbike thread so I feel safe admitting I would only cover another 4 hours' drive when leaving LA, maybe peel off the 101 to take 154 past Cachuma lake, consider some side roads, and end the day with an ocean-front motel with a fireplace in Pismo or Cambria. Futz around at some antique shops, hell yeah, road trip

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 28, 2023

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Maybe this is a trick question and there’s a bigger one available?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

bizwank posted:

Well, legally they have to so you have some room to negotiate price here, and if they don't want to play ball you can file a complaint with the state. Everything you need to know is here: https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/auto-rep-guide.pdf

Yeah, but won't they spit in your oil next time you need work done? Most shops are the god damned worst.

When I was first thinking of getting a bike again I told myself I'd bring it in for service rather than DIY in the street. It took all of a single service inquiry to the Suzuki place here to be reminded why I don't want to bring my bike in unless it's something painful or impossible for me to do. Last week I was just trying to get some tires ordered and put on the Triumph and there were like 10 back-and-forths with their parts guy, got put on hold and hung up on, availability date estimates flip-flopped all over, was asked to confirm the desired sizes like 3 times, that in the same (and only) email chain containing those very details. I never worked so hard to pay someone money in my life and I'm not switching places because they are all the god damned worst (except this non-dealership place that was booked 9 months out last I checked, random exceptions apply).

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

But would you... pay $3750 for an '07 FJR1300 with 70,000 miles on it and the plate "BMRZMR2"?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Oh to be clear I haven't bought it, but I haven't been able to take my eyes off it for a week and keep eyeing my savings. It would be a very expensive rental and I don't really believe myself when I think I can just resell it later for that much

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

If I had to choose between an open jacket and no shoulder/spine impact protection I'm honestly not sure which one I'd pick. I mean it's the street so I sorta expect to bounce off a saab or something

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Oh that's right I forgot it's April and it's STILL loving COLD OUT

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

apropos of nothing, I just learned that Yamaha named a bike "Eluder" and had a good chortle.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Over halfway I think

Yo I just want to apologize on behalf of the central coast for the poo poo weather this week, I just spent a couple hours on the 101 today and it took three layers of wool to not freeze my balls off.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I got my Bonneville at a good price and pre-dadded, with a great big madstad windscreen and these Triumph-branded olive brown saddlebags that must've cost PO upwards of a thousand dollars all told.  They wouldn't have been my choice.  They're fiddly, aren't waterproof, don't lock or even match the chrome, silver and black bike they're on.  They fade rapidly in the sun too.  Anyway, I lost the right-hand side bag not a week after I bought the bike, just took off on a ride with it unbuckled one evening and it was gone.

So I've spent this last year with the remaining saddlebag tucked away in a closet, a topcase serving for the vast majority of rides.  The saddlebags' hangars remained nice for tie-down purposes, and I've left the ill-matching brown mounting flaps on the bike for that rare left pannier use, the right hand one just a flappin' in the wind for symmetry.  Finally a couple weeks ago, having fully accepted that I won't be touring for the foreseeable future and therefore can't justify the $600+ I would otherwise spend on some black locking hard cases, I did break down and grab a replacement right-hand british olive-which-is-brown-colored garbage rear end Triumph brand bag off of ebay for $200.

Now, I've been talking to the worms in my brain, and we're all agreed the best thing to do at this point is to learn to paint leather from the internet, paint these bags matte black with acrylic and some satin finisher, and run an elaborate cable lock system through them and under the seat when they're in use so I can relax with my bike parked unobserved for several hours.  I've used photoshop to forecast what it'll look like, and am unduly confident that it will make the bags less offensive than some of the other stuff I've got going on.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

But it locks dude. I could put your mom's purse in there.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Because if I get lucky, the black I paint the saddlebags will be a reasonable match for one of the blacks elsewhere on the bike, moving the needle toward congruity.

Between the topcase, tires, plastic side covers, and knee grips fading to brown, I've got some good options.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Two weeks, $70 in crafting supplies and some youtube videos later, I got my bags painted black without them looking like total dogshit, personally I'm pretty happy with the results. The biggest improvement is also small, the saddlebag flaps that are on the bike 100% of the time now blend in.

I'm pretty sure the ideal method for painting bags matte black would be an airbrush setup and the skill to use it. Since I have neither, I did it with brushes. Broke from my usual impatience and forced myself to slow down and practice on a spare leather flap, and had to take a couple runs at it while discovering you have to thin the acrylic paint with water so that brushstrokes aren't that visible.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

metallicaeg posted:

I'm attempting to turn the FZ6 into a dadbike, but I'm unsure if the top mount and seat for this old thing are actually still available. Yeah SHAD's storefront let me put the order through, but I could also put 99 quantity of the top rack into cart and checkout and it didn't tell me no, and I doubt they're sitting on this huge pile of racks for this old piece.

But if it all comes through, then I'll be pretty happy

I share your skepticism, love my Shad case though and it's been appropriately tough for a couple years of pretty much daily use, hope it all comes in.

I'd be curious to hear what you ultimately get with that brakelight. I was hunting a taillight kit for the red parts of my SH46 when I first got it, some pictures made it look like the right shape for that, but after emailing them it was apparently some separate light for under the box and I never did find a lighting kit- the box has cutouts and channels for wiring up brake lights, but either they never made the lighting kit or they stopped making it.

e; "explandable" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

All the built-in helmet locks I've seen are so tight that getting the D-ring over them is a pain in the rear end. If bikes had a nice long retractable cable lock in the head somehow, long enough to run through a jacket arm and the helmet, that'd be :kiss:

I'd still need the topcase for all that other stuff though.