Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Let’s face it, goons are olds now. There are dadgoons and momgoons, and some of them are in this forum. One by one, dadbikes are appearing and we are better for it. Let us celebrate dadbikes and mombikes. You don’t have to be a dad or a mom, and in fact you probably shouldn’t be because you’re a goon and can’t be trusted with that kind of responsibility.

What is a dadbike? A Goldwing, naturally, but that’s just kind of the pinnacle of the heap. A BMW K bike? Yes. A GS? Also yes. More important than make/model, though, is the ~aesthetic~. A dadbike is probably a little overfarkled, or known for being a favorite of retirees who watched Long Way Round too many times, or a good solution for bad knees and hips, or a bike that’s for some reason really interesting to old guys, etc ad infinitum. But most importantly, a dad bike is practical. Does your Hawk have a topbox? Dadbike. Did you trade your VStrom for a maxiscooter to ride with your spouse? Dadbike. Does your 990SM have 3 matching bags? Dadbike. Can you fit your helmet in the tailbag on your DR? Dadbike. Goldw-DADBIKE.

Post pics of your topboxes, distribution blocks, and lowering kits. Solicit suggestions for the best brand of aftermarket windshields and suspenders. Compare on-board air compressors. Roast each other about your taste in hi-viz suits.

Here is my dadbike with my dadfriend's dadbike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I think the tankbag contents determine the dadliness as Gorson says. In my permanent tankbag, I have extra earplugs, a small roll of toilet paper, and one of those single use thermacare heat therapy wrap things. Also my first aid kit tends to follow me wherever but always ends up in there.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I also carry a cargo net at all times because that poo poo is handy. Sometimes you see something neat that you need to pick up and take home.

Vanvan with a giant tail box is very dad. Anything Capt HiViz rides becomes dad.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That is a holy drat dad trifecta in that picture.

e: is that a 78ish LeBaron?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 13, 2021

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

helno posted:

89 Plymouth Caravelle.

Oh. That is less exciting but still very practical.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

A couple of my friends just bought a house in Maine that was apparently built between 1763 and 1783 and in the giant attached barn is a pair of early 80s Goldwings. They are still trying to figure out if the bikes stay with the house.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah my readers can’t make them pictures any more than a vague blur so I’ll take your word for it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I put a bunch of miles on my father in law’s NC700 today and was surprised at how much I liked it this time around. It was nice to have a big rear end windshield and the DCT was convenient.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Remy Marathe posted:

I apologize but I unwittingly exaggerated the size of my topcase earlier by 2%. At current rate of dad, this gives me roughly 30 riding years before one of the kids finally succeeds in demonstrating my incapacity and takes the license.

Thanks I love it

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Is the Versys engine the same as the Ninja 650? For all the hate that engine gets, I can't understand why it was a favorite of stunters for a while.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I am loving this content

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

After 10 days of being home with my quarantined 3 year old mostly alone, all the dadding got to my head. I made this poor man’s rally screen so my withered neck muscles and slumping shoulders don’t have to work so hard. I cut one side out of a beefy trash can, this stuff is about 3 mm thick. Mocked up a template with paper, cut it to shape, and then went to work with the heat gun and a 1x2 and wood clamps for a jig. I have it on with some 3M tape for now. If it doesn’t take any tuning, I’ll throw some bolts on to keep it snug.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oh poo poo that is good stuff Jim

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ok I’ve done another one.
The stock DR seat sucks, and I can’t afford any improvements at the moment. So I figured I’d make my own cushion from stuff I have. I get a lot of shipments of glass containers in this beefy large cell bubble wrap at work, so there’s a never ending supply. The other day I sat on some for a while on a whim and it felt great. I remembered I had some nice outdoor fabric from another project and schemed a pouch to slide some sections of this bubble wrap (or other kinds of cushioning material) into. I sewed webbing loops into each corner so the whole thing can just be bungeed around the seat snugly. I’ll finish that part tomorrow as I’ve got a bunch of shock cord and a barrel clamp or two.

Velcro closure on one end so I can replace the bubble wrap or add more or change the cushioning material.

Finished

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I had to travel out to western Colorado for some fieldwork this week so I took the bike.

The trash can rally screen is a keeper. I had a nasty headwind from about 45 degrees to head on for about 150 miles on the first day, so I'm not entirely sure how it affected things. My neck and shoulders were less sore than I expected them to be coming off a long time barely riding at all, though, so I think it handled that pretty well. On the way back home today, I had a pretty good tailwind for most of it. When I wasn't behind any vehicles making turbulence, it was pretty great. I finally understand why people always say "It gets your head into the clean air."

The seat pad is a loving winner. My butt is a little sore, but nothing like it would be on the stock DR seat. I scrapped my plans to rebuild the foam under there, this thing is just great. Fieldsheer/Cortech saddlebags are just fine for a dual sport with pannier racks. I only had a sleeping bag and clothes and food for a couple days. I estimate my surplus weight including 1 gallon of fuel in the rotopax at about 40 lbs. I had to pin it going uphill above about 8,000 feet most of the time, but was able to maintain 65ish mph without much effort. Fuel economy ranged from 43 to 50 mpg.

I love this big fat pig of a supermodad tryhard rally tourer.

Bonus pic with my friend's Himalayan.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 21, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

They’re pretty good roads outside the towns of Steamboat Springs and Craig, which was my route from Fort Collins. The towns see more snowplowing so this time of year there are some potholes and chunky parts since we’re just coming out of winter.

My experience riding in Colorado is that there are really not a lot of roads so within a couple years here you’ll run out of new places to ride for day trips. Longer trips around the region are a good way to experience it. There’s really nowhere else in the world you can get so isolated on good roads and see a ton of open sky and 100 mile views.

My favorite riding is gravel stuff up in the National Forests but there is a pretty hard May-October season for that.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I assume you’ve checked the owners’ forums? I’ve had good luck for all my bikes that way. Rarely the full FSM, but I’ve always found spec sheets and model-specific fiddly jobs. Someone even made a DR650 app with a bunch of that stuff, it’s great to have on a tablet. I can see newer Triumphs being harder to find that way. Your forum’s resident old guy is always a good place to start.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

Just laughing at the idea of an app to understand a motorcycle considerably simpler than an app

Yeaaahhh but I can’t memorize that many torque values and valve clearances and also the average person is mechanically a Neanderthal.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah I think it was just one of the enthusiasts with skills and time on their hands. A rare example of altruism.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Alls I know is it’s nice to have that app when I set my chain slack.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I’ve tucked my thermos right behind my butt on the seat and strapped it to the rack with success. There’s no wind and stuff never seems to shift around back there.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

TotalLossBrain posted:

The important thing is that the boomers are out and having fun

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

You could try these maybe

https://www.amazon.com/Loop-Quiet-Noise-Reduction-Earplugs/dp/B08MFDT65P

They are my favorite earplugs. They fit like earbuds, so if she doesn't like cramming earplugs in her ears but is fine with airpods etc she should have no trouble with these. Very soft and comfortable, they come with four different sizes of tips, they come in different colors, they don't look dorky, they don't get pulled out when you put your helmet on, and they take one second to insert.

Backroads and low revs are the way to ride, though. :cheers:

I've been getting ads for these on instagram a bunch lately. Have you used the noise filter version, like the 18 NRR? I use Etymotic ER20s for social situations because of social anxiety and hearing loss and I've been curious about how these stack up.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

If you're ever tempted to use ethanol to clean your earplugs or earbuds, make absolutely sure it's completely dry before you stick them back in your ears, gently caress me the headache I got from doing that once.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Strife posted:

I guess this could be a question for the gear thread but we're on the topic.

Nah dude, getting in the weeds over earplugs is extremely dad

Also, I've experimented with a handful of different fancy earplugs and I always come back to 3M/Howard Leight foamies when I need really consistent and good protection (e.g., shooting, motorcycles). Nothing is quite as comfortable or effective for me, except the ones made of cotton fiber and beeswax. Those are great, but enough of a hassle and not enough better for me that I don't use them much. Those work so well that not enough noise makes it in to drown out my tinnitus.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Welp, I took my last ride on the DR the other day and sold it today. No more fathercycling for me for a while. I am happy to report that the new owner was thrilled by the trashcan rally screen and told me he planned on keeping it on there. He also took my side racks and soft luggage with the plan to ride up to Alaska this fall.