Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
What makes a dadbiek?
Top boxes
Tank bags
Storage galore
Windscreens
Heated gear controllers
Ability to rack miles at speed in comfort

And perhaps a glovebox

(Yes its basically a tool truck with all the under-seat storage)

PO ran a tank bag, I don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
they also work drat good in klrs.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
big dumb loads?

KLR + clutch for a Jeep

KLR + DR-Z engine

DR-Z + gearbag

DR-Z fuel + gearbag

950 + gearbag

950 + second wheelset

950 + grocery run

950 + Africa twin + everything including the kitchen sink, dishwasher, and oven.

not pictured: 950 + two extra seats. dr-z + spare wheelset strapped to the rack

It fits. It ships. If it doesnt fits it ships anyway.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I'll take pgm-fi over l-jetronic any day.

Same.
Though I've logged numerous hours under the oscilloscope and pressure sensor with Kjet.

Afaik the main worry with old pgm-fi is capacitors failing. easy fix.

secondarily: unobtainable iacvs.

yummycheese posted:

hmm. i worked on some fuel injected Honda civics from the 80’s and they were a bit terrifying. single port injection. massive tangle of vacuum lines.

this was still when if you needed anything mechanically actuated under the hood. it was vacuum from the engine and a electric solenoid to turn whatever it was on or off.

worked great when they were new. but as they aged they created really fun intermittent problems to troubleshoot.

im sure its not as bad as a full on car tho

TBI!!!
Even the multiport A-series in the Accord/Prelude had a metric shitload of vacuum hoses for its various sensors/actuators.....just like its carbed sibling.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I keep printed and pdfs around.

Printed is handy to have on the bench because its battery never dies and it doesn't care if your fingers are filthy within reason.
Touchscreens and keyboards tend to mind.

a pdf on your phone is splendid for traveling with when things go wrong. If you don't own American or European you can ignore this advice.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

You just don't need them for oil changes and stuff!!!

yeah seventeen ugga-duggas il dooo er' :grin:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

moxieman posted:

Excuse me sir, this is Cycle Asylum. Please take you “car” elsewhere.

Cars are for fair weather riders that can't harden the gently caress up and embrace bike only life. Get that poo poo out of here.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Remy Marathe posted:

Sadly those who scorn top cases will never understand. When the 8-piece chicken bucket with sides drops straight down into your thermal tote bag, and that nestles perfectly in the topcase, you actually touch god for a moment.

:hmmyes:
back from the drz days

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Way to make a Honda Accord but shittier.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
lol I've had both my knees cut open by age 30 and I'm not succumbing to that bullshit

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
April is still a little early in some parts along 395.
The Bodie hotel in Bridgeport is good.

If you take 95
Mitzpah Hotel in Tonopah is also good.
Seconding to fuel up whenever possible. Expect winds.

I was camped out at DVNP for the most recent snow front. WIth the snow pack this year in the Sierras expect a slow start. It's generally well cleared by snow crews. I've ridden through there in November and February in years past but the uh snow has actually arrived this year.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

My next bike is a gold wing mark my words y’all

Same. With a tow ball for pulling 4 tons

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
a 20 year old goldwing sitting for 20 years will start with a fresh battery and maybe some fresh gas.

Bets are off for a 40 year old wing sitting for 20. The worst is probably the 4 rube goldberg carbs strewn about the apartment. There's an undercurrent of perverts that retrofit aircooled vw carbs.

That said, I'd take a free wing.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't care that it's raining with up to 45mph gusts and I've a shitload of errands to run. Absolutely wasn't in the mood to drive a car around.

200 miles on the tank repair and it's still holding. Nothing more than gravel/twin track though.
The bushing bits came in from KTM so I'll throw those on and take it out to the back 40. Few jumps/drops skill building will prove if it's trustworthy or not.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hepco & Becker Gobis. Twin wall. Doubles as a cooler. Doubles as a 1 ish gallon water tank if a ktm petcock is screwed onto the case.

They're too small for a helmet and are heavy for what they are but are practically indestructible. The dent was my fault ehhh 6 years ago on a rocky jeep trail I probably had no business being on :D

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
K1600 or bust
I rode one. Jesus what a heavy bike.

I can't flatfoot my bike with both feet. But I don't really care. Most humans cant with a 37" seat height.

Buddy/neighbor/etc has a R100gs. It's purple. I didn't know it was such. But now that I do...
I kinda gotta have it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
My impression was it's the bike to buy if I'm going cross country a couple times per week for life of the warranty.

I've done Tuscon to SF (1k-mi-ish) in a day on the old ktm. It was kind of a slog for me. The bmw would just shrug that off and you'd be up for making a return trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
The thread title was getting to me.

What's better than one old bike?
TWO OLD BIKES! AH AH AH