Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
A dadbike is one you can take to Home Depot and buy some things not considering the fact that you brought a motorcycle, but also not having to worry about it because your bags are filled with bungies and cargo netting.

I love this fuckin' thing. My Ducati is unreliable, my Kawasaki has as much power as my vacuum cleaner, my Hellcat sometimes fails to start because the engine is so large, and my Grand Cherokee is.. actually my Grand Cherokee is fine. But I've never had a single issue with this Harley Davidson.

Actually that's not entirely true. I took it grocery shopping once and a bag of flour broke in one of my bags, so for a while everything came out looking like it was in Pablo Escobar's carryon, but otherwise it's been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Arson Daily posted:

You are all like little babies

Plus a third bag in the top case (not shown)

We can lash whatever we want to our bikes in our garages.

This is quickly turning into an episode of Pete & Pete

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Regarding service manuals, a buddy of mine spent about $500 on the first service for his Shadow, so I downloaded the service manual and had it printed and spiral bound for him.

Partially because it's so useful to have a printed manual, but mostly to make fun of him.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
This is probably a decent question for the Dadbike thread. How do you keep the stink out of your saddlebags? The bags on my Road Glide are air tight, and I'll occasionally use them for transporting cheeseburgers or burritos, but mostly they just contain a wind-proof longsleeve shirt, a first aid kit, and a hat (also some tools, bungie cords, etc). Despite that, they seem to always carry this kind of stale sour smell no matter how long I leave them open to air out in my garage.

Should I chuck a container of baking soda in there? This has got to be a problem someone else has solved.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I don't think I've done a bag dump recently, but I went to organize my poo poo and figured I'd take a photo and inventory everything so I can actually keep track of what's in there.

Right Side (photo)
Kuryakyn saddle bag organizer
Registration
AMA card
MotoMedic Instructions
Gerber Multitool
Lightning-USB Cable
USB Micro-USB Cable w/ USB-C Adapter
EZPass
Locking carabiner (for securing my helmet to the rack on the bike)
Wind-proof Harley Davidson shirt
ALPAKA Elements Hat
Saddle bag recess organizer from storagepouches dot com

Left Side (photo)
Kuryakyn saddle bag organizer
Excedrin
Motrin
USB to 12v adapter
Luggage rack key
USB wireless Apple CarPlay Adapter (seriously)
HD glasses case
Microfiber cloth
Arlen Ness air intake cover (for rain)
Kryptonite cable lock
Kryptonite rotor lock
MyMedic motorcycle first aid kit (which I'm not unpacking because getting it all back in there would be a chore; image below)
Another saddle bag recess organizer

Organizer (Right)

Zip ties
Trash bags
SAE allen wrenches
Torx wrenches
Adjustable wrench
Tiny baby SAE wrenches
Tiny ratchet with screwdriver adapter
1/2 7/8 5/16 sockets
Screwdriver bits
Disposable oil funnels
Tire repair kit

Amber glasses from.. Willy G, I think?

Organizer (Left)
A shitload of bungies and cargo nets

Since it's easy enough to just leave it in there, this is what I take with me every day. If I'm going a long distance, I'll also throw a qt of oil in there and a spare visor, as well as rain gear.

Alright dads, whats in ya bags?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Holy crap, I don’t carry nearly as much. My left bag has my toolkit and owners manual, as well as the cup holder for when I need it, my right bag has a bunch of bungee cords for carrying stuff for work. My rear box has nothing, but there is a sub-trunk in it that has my registration and insurance and stuff.

Passenger seat storage has nothing, the left side fairing cubby has the power cable for my gps, the right hand one has some cables like the headset audio cable and my phone aux cable.

I guess I travel light.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't bring nearly that much with me if it didn't fit so snugly into those storagepouches bags. There's these weird recesses in the stretched saddlebags that gently caress up anything you want to put in there, and the pouches give it a pretty uniform bottom. So most of that can be an emergency kit without robbing space that I'd otherwise take up with groceries or burritos. If I had to get rid of anything, I don't really do much with the Kryptonite locks, since I'm really only locking the rotor up if I stay somewhere overnight, but that doesn't give me a ton of space. The biggest object is the first aid kit, but that's probably the best emergency thing to have. Fortunately I've never ridden with anyone who's seriously hurt themselves (except for one dude who crashed into nothing at all in front of a Walgreens), but a kid wiped out on his bicycle as I was in a convenience store and asked if I had any bandaids, and I had to tell him no.

If I put the trunk on I don't have anything at all that goes in there, but I can fit my helmet and my wifes completely in the trunk, and I'll stick our jackets into the side bags. If I'm going to a meeting I'll usually just plop my entire work backpack into the trunk so I don't have to think about squeezing it into a side bag, which has the added benefit of not having to drag a helmet into a meeting.

Oddly I keep almost nothing in my car. I have a 14x8x6 metal box in my trunk full of emergency stuff, first aid kit and flares and whatnot, my center console has just the cable for my phone and some excedrin, and the glove box just has my owner's manual, registration, flosser toothpicks, tissues, and a mask just in case. Somehow I carry considerably more on my Harley than in my car.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Not necessarily in a Goldwing frame, but I'm surprised we haven't seen a German equivalent of Boss Hoss, with different Porsche engines.

Fake edit: my spelling correction wants to change Hoss to Hog. That is all.

"Boss Pferd" just doesn't sound good, that's probably the reason.

Edit: BOSS ROSS. Get to work.

Strife fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 1, 2022

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

FBS posted:

e: I didn't even mention how good the mirrors were. how's that for a dad bike post, the mirrors kicked rear end

It's the daddest opinion. Touring bikes have the best mirrors because nerdy looking mirrors always work better. When the rest of your bike is already pretty nerdy because it has bags and a windshield, and like.. heat, it steals the nerdiness away from the mirrors and makes them perfect.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
The next gen goldwing is just going to be a Camry.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Snapshot posted:

Don’t you mean an accord? Parts bin is always a solution.

I sure do! It's been a long exhausting week and I forgot that Honda and Toyota are different companies.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

I had a baby. My dadbike is an actual dad's bike now.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slavvy posted:

I'd argue that riding a dad bike is proof you've done all the loving you're ever going to and the stitch just makes it permanent

A one-piece Aerostitch suit is like when someone takes their old hockey stick and encases it in lucite. "I no longer have use for this tool, but remember that it was once used," basically.

Strife fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 12, 2022

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Positively fascinated by your fastening.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Gorson posted:

We managed to make sweat pants in public acceptable, we can do the same with moto luggage.

Look, New Balance makes objectively comfortable footwear, tucking your tshirt in while mowing the lawn is more efficient, and maintaining a temperature on the thermostat is good for the environment and the wallet. But wearing sweatpants in public will never be acceptable.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I've never really felt comfortable in any earplugs other than these, which I wear while playing drums, doing yardwork, shooting, and occasionally sleeping. They're disposable, so I just chuck them when I'm done, but does anyone have opinions on how they stack up against some of those fancy ear plugs? Any ones I've tried have either not blocked enough sound to make it worth it, or they've been so amazingly uncomfortable that I couldn't wear them for more than 20 minutes at a time.

I guess this could be a question for the gear thread but we're on the topic.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FabGmSITU-8

I wish I could have accomplished this with one of the 6 fake buttons on the instrument cluster, but replacing the useless cigarette lighter port is fine too.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

A MIRACLE posted:

should I get a hi vis

Yes

A MIRACLE posted:

aerostitch

Oh.

Yes.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

There's no more appropriate word to describe what's happening here than bitchin.

But every time I see this video it makes me aware of how terrible I am at riding dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
why are there two of these fuckin things