Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm young enough still that my ideal bike (in my head) is a sport-tourerized literbike. I know I'm on the dadbike spectrum but I haven't been diagnosed with full-blown dadbikeism, yet.

And I never did order that giant windscreen for my MT-07...

FBS fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Mine is flat tire kit, usb power bank, masks, wet wipes for egregiously messy bug impacts, and uh I think a couple Rok straps I've never used

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

You've gotta click on them, Dad.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Somebody ought to swap an MT-07 motor into a Versys just to see what happens

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

That's even better than a cutting board skidplate

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

What fresh flavor of dadbike is this

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Is a real service manual worth $40? Somebody on the 919 forum has a couple for sale. I already have the PDF

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

God help me I'm looking at FJRs.

I'm too young! I'm too young! I continue to insist as I slowly transform into a dad

FBS fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 4, 2022

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

That's the first ad I've seen in a while where "has title" doesn't add much value

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

My understanding is that heat scales pretty linearly with power, while the distance between your nuts and the engine doesn't change much at all.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The call was too strong to ignore so today I did this:

That's right, a 24-hour Twisted Road rental of this well-used 2015. The more I thought about the FJR the more it made sense for me but I was worried the size and weight would be too much to put up with. $100 to rent this for the day seemed like a good investment.

I'm glad I did it this way because for the first twenty minutes, I didn't like it very much. All I noticed at first was the extra wheelbase and rake and how weird it steered compared to my bikes. The first ~40 minutes of the ride was stop-and-go through the outer suburbs and after that when it started stretching its legs I really warmed up to it.

It is such an exceptionally competent machine, in the best possible way, like it could cross the continent three times in a week and then go to a track day. And by body position and handling dynamics and controls it still felt like riding a regular (read: standard) motorcycle. I was shocked and quite pleased at how well it changes direction. The only time I noticed that it weighs 650 pounds was when stopped and while stopping. Cruise control is wonderful and it brings me much joy.

The worst part was learning about buffeting. This was my first experience on a fully faired bike and twice I had to stop and adjust my earplugs for a better seal because the wind noise was too loud. The windscreen worked well at the lowest setting where the air hit the top of my shoulders, but if I slid it up the noise and turbulance was too much to put up with. Obviously there are lots of aftermarket options and I think this can be resolved with some experimenting but it mildly disappointed me nonetheless.

When I got home at the end of the day I had a twelve-pack of beer in the side case and a head full of ideas of where I could ride this thing to. I think I'm going to buy one.

FBS fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 14, 2022

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I just got back from returning the FJR and I already miss it. I think my fate is sealed.

e: I didn't even mention how good the mirrors were. how's that for a dad bike post, the mirrors kicked rear end

FBS fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 15, 2022

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Jazzzzz posted:

They're good bikes, I've had two and thoroughly enjoyed them both.

Did either of yours have the electronic suspension? That's the only part I'm still undecided about.

All else equal I'd prefer to buy an A model with standard suspension but I don't know if I'd turn down an ES if the price and condition was right.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

They expect you to be wearing something with a flip-up internal sun visor like a proper dad

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

german bosozoku

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Congratulations!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Eventually I’ll stack enough boxes that they loop around and touch the windshield, thereby creating a BMW C1

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I want to put that poor gold wing out of its misery :smith:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Russian Bear posted:

I hate the waste aspect of the foamies... but glad I don't have to worry about this.

After using disposable daily contacts for a few years, tossing a couple pairs of foamies a week doesn't bother me at all. And my ears don't smell like vinegar so I'm going to keep at it

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

How risky would it be to buy a clean-looking dadbike without a test ride? In this case it's a 2015 FJR1300A with 16k miles.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Remy Marathe posted:

I went to look at that one FJR expecting a dadbike based on the very daddish text of the ad, only to find the abused and rusted results of a bad owner. That said it was way older, 60k miles, the neglect was pretty obvious in person and after talking to the guy, and the crunchy steering was hard to hide.

The more I look at the pictures in this listing the fewer doubts I have, so much that I've reserved a trailer to bring with me (it's about 2.5 hours away).

The guy's garage is immaculate which honestly scores him major bonus points. I certainly wouldn't be showing the inside of my garage in any for-sale ad I post.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

D A D B I K E V I B E S

I don't know what he was thinking with those aftermarket levers though. Both sides are adjustable from the factory.

The bike is also running Dyna Beads, which I don't have any experience with. I guess I'll stick with them on this set of tires as long as they don't give me any trouble but I already bought the balancing stand so I think I'll go back to stick on weights in the future.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Slavvy posted:

He wanted to do an 'upgrade' that didn't involve getting up off the couch for too long or using tools you can't get from harbor freight, is a common ailment

you wouldn't say that if you saw this guy's garage

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

My next dilemma is how long should I wait before dropping $900 on the OEM color-matched 50L top case

FBS fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 3, 2023

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Well Partzilla says they have both the rack and the case available to ship, at a decent discount off list price so I placed an order. Thanks for enabling me the encouragement!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The irony... Ive always wanted just enough underseat storage for a flat tire kit, and I finally get it on the bike with factory hard bags

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

updated ETA on the top case: June 15 :negative:

Looks like it's special order from Japan.

I think I'll go for a cheap Shad setup for now and sell it when the OEM kit arrives.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I'll see how I like the Shad stuff when it arrives and I use it for a few weeks, I could always just cancel the Partzilla order. I really like how the OEM setup looks but it's undeniably expensive.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Can you order it through Webike? They have a lot of stuff in stock and ship to the US in under a week.
It's been my go to supplier for OEM Monkey parts and stuff like windshields, cases, handlebars, etc

I do see that part available on Webike but it's twice as expensive and still shows a 3-4 week lead time.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I'm really proud of you, young man

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

It's only been a month and I'm already thinking about ordering an Aerostich.

e: I mean I'll probably end up with a Klim jacket and pants but a one-piece seems so bulletproof

FBS fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 4, 2023

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

This motorcycle is very good.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

:sickos:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

On a day ride I'd agree with you, but for a long trip my tolerance for substandard protection would get trumped by my desire for basic comfort and convenience

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Supradog posted:

I did a thing.

Gorgeous, congrats. A VFR800 is on my bucket list

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Who makes those risers?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Partzilla got me my replacement top case in a week, I'm genuinely impressed. Behold the glory of the hardware store parking lot.

Finally I don't have to cart my damned helmet around every time I stop someplace.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

What is it about dad bikes and post offices

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Jazzzzz posted:

I've been told they even have a 6th gear now

I haven't ridden a six speed yet but I'm sure it's entirely superfluous

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I don't use my top box much thanks to an obnoxious front-end wobble which hopefully I'll get around to fixing this winter.

Still good for a casual 200-mile ride and a stop for groceries on the way home.

FBS fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Mine came with Helibars and I couldn't get used to having the controls in my lap like that, but it was undeniably more comfortable.

I figure when I'm ready to sit up that straight I'll just buy a gold wing