Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This thread. I’m home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don’t have a tank bag on the goldwing, because it has a false tank that actually contains some storage and the air box.

In the false tank storage is one thing: painters tape so I could tape over one of the two air box intakes when the weather gets really cold and it gets super cold blooded.

Big engineering dad who works on a drafting table energy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Remy Marathe posted:

My dadbike is a 200cc VanVan with a 47L top case

Legit dadbike. Sometimes it’s about the challenge

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Possession is 9/10ths of the law.

They own those goldwings :clint:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

T Zero posted:

The paternalism of the bike increases with the number of cases.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Calligraphy-rear end bike

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You are the apex predator of the new balance section in your local footlocker

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The first gen versys is such a cool looking bike imo

That’s the dad talking, I know, but I said what I said :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, I owned one, so I know first hand how absolutely terminally boring they are. Their styling writes a check that that motor cannot possibly cash

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The extra disappointing part is the versys chassis, suspension and brakes are all really better than they have any right to be.

The chassis says “fun” and the motor says “wet fart”

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Is the Versys engine the same as the Ninja 650? For all the hate that engine gets, I can't understand why it was a favorite of stunters for a while.

It’s very reliable, torquey, compact and makes good power. It’s just boring along with all that.

ionn posted:

Idk, me being a total beginner it's enough engine to provide me with any amount of fun I have any business having. Since I can easily outrun my brothers oversized moped, I've never so far felt 60-something hp isn't fully sufficient.

It’s very reliable, torquey, compact and makes good power. It’s just boring along with all that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The ninja 650 motor was also the engine swap of choice for aprilia sxv 550’s that blew up

I want to be clear: they are very good motors. But good and fun/interesting are two different things

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Eventually you’ll get the urge to get something really sporty, engaging and quick.

So you’ll go out and get a used SV

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yo dawg

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I am loving this content

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Making a rally screen out of a trash can is peak dadbike

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Had to spice it up a bit

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Honestly I get a ton of random people, men and women actually, commenting on the goldwing with some form of “I had one of those! I loved it!”, or “what year/how many miles?”

Everyone remembers their Oldwing fondly it seems.

Also they’re apparently dadbikes AND mombikes?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ben Gay and Miller lite?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don’t track mileage on my bikes, but I can say a strong tailwind on the goldwing makes it utterly silent

Between the reduced wind noise and the reduced engine load it’s whisper quiet

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My goldwing had the CB rig, and some PO ripped it out. I was so close to glory!!!!!

Even if it didn’t work that button pod is hilariously awesome

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have that exact same bike. It’s a road couch for sure, but also pretty fun to ride and will absolutely demolish miles without complaint

I wish mine was that low mileage however, drat

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That is loving epic but I'll be disappointed if it's not the special edition EFI model

It is 100% the EFI model, because that black box with the red switch covers the area where the choke would be on the carbureted model

e: also because the seller says it is in the listing, which I didnt see

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 18, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My understanding is that honda used the same PGM-FI that they used on their cars of that time period (not sure what changes to make the transition to a motorcycle engine), and its pretty reliable

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Immerse yourself in this extreme dad energy

-disassembled goldwing
-glass of wine
-printed manual held together with 90 degree aluminum angles and c-clamps

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This guy gets it

To be fair, its torn apart to get the rear wheel off and replace the tire

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Phy posted:

Pdfs have their upsides, to be sure. If they're fully ocr'ed and searchable and have a table of contents that works on your device's pdf reader app, they're pretty decent to use.

If they're not, imagine trying to scroll through a 3000 page Mazda manual on your phone trying to visually spot the section about suspension, hidden between the 2000 page section on troubleshooting the diagnostic codes and the other 1000 pg section on troubleshooting the diagnostic codes, and then go hammer a nail through your foot because that's honestly more fun

Books are always skimmable and you don't have to keep unlocking it when you look away for ten minutes and if you get the page filthy it's not like you use the book in every other aspect of your life too

On the downside, it's a lot tougher to warez a book

Yeah it’s all of this.

Also the goldwing manual was scanned long enough ago that it probably wouldn’t OCR reliably anyway.

I have a rugged windows 10 tablet I use for google searches and YouTube tutorials in the garage, but for manuals I like paper

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Remy Marathe posted:

Near as I can tell the 2020 Triumph T120's FSM is only available in digital format, through an $8/month subscription, in a bespoke web presentation format that doesn't let you print pages to take outside, because intellectual property.

What.

Someone should rip that to PDF on principle alone.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Tesla doesn't publish or provide service manuals for their vehicles -- except in Massachusetts, where there is a state right-to-repair law that requires that automotive manuals be made available to anyone who asks. The company is still allowed to charge for them, though.

So in Massachusetts, if you own a Tesla, you can sign up for a system where they will provide you with individual sections of the manual that you request in an online viewer...and they charge you to look at them on an hourly basis. :jeb:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What.

Someone should rip that to PDF on principle alone.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would fly n ride for that bike if it wasn’t on a different continent

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Protect Ya Life - Wu-spencade Clan.mp3

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m not even sort of ashamed to admit that I have a cupholder coming from Amazon this weekend.

Today I had the good idea to grab lunch and eat by a river, which is conveniently a relaxing 20 minute goldwing ride away.

I got my food, which went in the top box and my drink, which I wound up having to stash in the fuel filler door. It worked pretty well actually, but wasn’t convenient, and it spent a solid 5 minutes being blasted by hot engine air.

Cupholder it is, then

A pic from said lunch

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I wouldn’t drink out of it, just transport. I got one that I can take off easily so it’s not on all the time

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m not even sort of ashamed to admit that I have a cupholder coming from Amazon this weekend.

Today I had the good idea to grab lunch and eat by a river, which is conveniently a relaxing 20 minute goldwing ride away.

I got my food, which went in the top box and my drink, which I wound up having to stash in the fuel filler door. It worked pretty well actually, but wasn’t convenient, and it spent a solid 5 minutes being blasted by hot engine air.

Cupholder it is, then

A pic from said lunch

This thing is so dumb but I already love it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Remy Marathe posted:

That looks like the one I got, keep checking the clamp knob if you did it hand tight, I continued to get new play the first few weeks, probably till I hand tightened on a cold morning.

I cranked it down pretty tight but I’ll keep an eye on it just in case.

I also might only put it on when I have something to carry, depending on how obnoxious it is to leave on the bar.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

New goldwing, still on that same old death stranding bullshit

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

UCS Hellmaker posted:

You do transport with your bike right? As in you use it during your job couring?

Yeah, I take customer packages to the shipping depot with it. That’s what’s on/in both bikes in both pics.

I’m not a courier but being a courier is part of my job

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If nothing else you get a 6 cylinder motor and a reduction to 2 carbs if you need to clean them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm already planning a trip to Rivco in Burlington, WI, who makes trailer hitches for Goldwings :getin:

Its also so I can do this