Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

How about a neck gaiter, muscle relaxants for my back (never actually needed them while riding though), ephedrine, ear plugs, power bank, gopro, knife, a pen, and a bottle of buckfast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Toe Rag posted:

What impact does the rider make on dadbike? I mean, is every bike this guy gets on a dadbike?

yes, both because of the full hi viz suit and modular helmet and because he pays extra for a license plate that states the model of the motorcycle it's on

edit: I completely missed that he was walking into a coffee shop. jesus h

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 12, 2021

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Making a rally screen out of a trash can

thread title (need a new one for the bike pics thread too but I'mma leave that up to the pros)

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
:perfect:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honestly I get a ton of random people, men and women actually, commenting on the goldwing with some form of “I had one of those! I loved it!”, or “what year/how many miles?”

Everyone remembers their Oldwing fondly it seems.

Also they’re apparently dadbikes AND mombikes?

you meet the nicest boomers on Honda

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
if you told me your bike had a CD changer in the trunk I would've immediately assumed you were talking about a mid-90s goldwing, not one a decade older

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
What's the verdict on the faux-airhawk? I have one of these 3d mesh seat covers for the GS that actually makes a huge difference when it's hot/humid, wouldn't mind having something similar for the other dad bike

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I don't think you're really missing that much beyond a TFT in the dash, Car Play/Android Auto, and the DCT if you opted to get one. Maybe the throttle maps? Meh. Bunch of unnecessary stuff that doesn't really change the character of the bike.

The only differences you might immediately notice are 1) the suspension change up front, brake dive isn't a thing 2) the 18+ is noticeably smaller than the previous gen (while still being very large)

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm not a fan of TFT LCD bike displays. I have 2002 Accord gauges from the factory in my Goldwing, they are :kiss:

I do wish there was a way to have carplay on a normal device like a tablet however, that would rule

The latest gen still has swept-needle gauges for tach and speedo, you just get a TFT in the middle for nav/radio/etc. I keep the radio tuned to the local butt rock station as required by the goldwing ownership agreement (evidence below).

BTW, those Accord gauges, vents, etc. on your gen bike make a ton of sense since the bikes were built at the plant in Marysville, OH right next door to where they build Accords.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Strife posted:

This is probably a decent question for the Dadbike thread. How do you keep the stink out of your saddlebags? The bags on my Road Glide are air tight, and I'll occasionally use them for transporting cheeseburgers or burritos, but mostly they just contain a wind-proof longsleeve shirt, a first aid kit, and a hat (also some tools, bungie cords, etc). Despite that, they seem to always carry this kind of stale sour smell no matter how long I leave them open to air out in my garage.

Should I chuck a container of baking soda in there? This has got to be a problem someone else has solved.

Never run into that issue with saddlebags. You talking sour as in mildewed? If so, clean them out with diluted bleach and put a couple packets of silica dessicant or DampRid in there and see if that helps.

The trunk on my sidecar reeks of concentrated old lady perfume, something to do with the gel coat/liner coat that's on the fiberglass. The smell goes away if I leave the trunk open to air out but comes right back once it's been closed up for a couple of days. Baking soda helps but doesn't fix it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Who was that company in Alabama that made a $30K V4 sport tourer for a few years, then quit? IIRC they used the EU making ABS mandatory as the excuse to stop making bikes, b/c they couldn't get a 3rd party ABS system certified or some poo poo.

The Boss Hoss thing makes me think of those V4s because they were supposedly designed to be as close as possible to half of an LS(3?), including using some GM parts.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
They're good bikes, I've had two and thoroughly enjoyed them both.

There are roughly 8 million windscreen options that can help with buffeting, but getting one of those little clamp-on laminar lips can make a big difference with the stock screen and might be cheaper in the long run since you can move them between bikes.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
No, I had a Gen 1 (2004) and an earlier Gen 2 (2007) before Yamaha added the ES options, cruise, etc. The 2016+ got cornering lights, a slipper clutch, throttle by wire + cruise, a 6th gear, and the electronic suspension stuff.

I've done test rides on ES-equipped bikes when Yamaha brings the trailer through town, and it's OK but not impressive. The only electronic suspension package I have ridden that I'd actually buy again in a heartbeat is Ducati's SkyHook. Everything else has just been an easy way to set and forget multiple preload settings, and maybe damping. I think the money would be better spent on some aftermarket fork cartridges and a double- or triple-clicker shock with a remote preload collar on it, unless the ES package comes with a bunch of other stuff you want.

IIRC the non-ES FJR still has a remote preload lever (you get two settings, single rider or passenger).

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The butans on the new gen goldwings look lifted straight out of a car console same as the previous gen, just a newer generation of car. They are not backlit, which is annoying when it's pitch black out and you forgot to pack a clear shield for your helmet, but apparently they don't expect retirees to be bombing around on their touring bikes after dark.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Guess I need to write another sternly worded letter to Arai to start making modulars or the same to Shoei telling them to make a long oval Neotec

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
that's riding-through-arctic-winter levels of windscreen, good god

I'm also digging the LED aux lights zip tied to crash bars and the sidecar frame, just sorta pointing in sort of the right direction

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
That vent's probably a decent compromise between switching back and forth between a short and tall windshield when the seasons change. Not sure a short windshield is going to do much for the bug situation either, unless you could find one with a lip/curve to change the airflow a bit

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Cons:
- Look completely incapable of loving

riding a dadbike cancels this out, it's simple logic

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Yesterday, for the first time ever, I adjusted the PARKING BRAKE on a motorcycle

just DCT things

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Just get a fucken car my god

Toe Rag posted:

That has to be worse than a Miata in every meaningful way.

that was my immediate reaction - just buy a loving convertible and call it a day

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
... for the CBR?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I'm not against the daddening of the CBR, I was trying to clarify if that was the intended target for those bags - I thought I remembered him posting about buying another bike but am too lazy to dig through post history

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

FBS posted:

D A D B I K E V I B E S

I don't know what he was thinking with those aftermarket levers though. Both sides are adjustable from the factory.

The bike is also running Dyna Beads, which I don't have any experience with. I guess I'll stick with them on this set of tires as long as they don't give me any trouble but I already bought the balancing stand so I think I'll go back to stick on weights in the future.

maybe the PO just likes short levers? I'm more baffled by people who do not take the warning sticker off the tank at the first opportunity

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

Yea I’d be heading east from humboldt on the 36, then probably over the sierras into Reno area, then south thru Nevada desert to vegas. Come back north on the 101

This does not seem like a great idea given the recent snowstorms - when do you need to travel? edit: duh, didn't see your other comment. Provided the mountains have cleared sufficiently by April this sounds like it could be entertaining (minus slabbing through the desert)

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 28, 2023

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

FBS posted:

updated ETA on the top case: June 15 :negative:

Looks like it's special order from Japan.

I think I'll go for a cheap Shad setup for now and sell it when the OEM kit arrives.

alternate option - get the lid to your cheap Shad/Givi/whatever top case painted to match, skip the wait time + factory accessories catalog premium. the biggest downside is needing an extra key

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Replacing zippers isn't hard for most tailors to do, but finding one who will work on leathers can be interesting, and if the garment has a bonded,seam-taped waterproof layer and the waterproof zipper failed you're probably screwed (unless it's Aerostich, just send it back and they'll fix it (for a fee))

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I've been told they even have a 6th gear now

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
it would be, mostly just gives you a gear to hit when your muscle memory from other bikes tells you to upshift from 5th at highway cruise speeds

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

are those the feelers on your goldwing?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
had the goldwing for over a year and finally made a grocery run in it today. gallon of apple cider, a pumpkin, and two full bags fit into the top box with room to spare, gotta love it

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

CongoJack posted:

Moto Guzzi it is

once a year or so when I check the local guzzi dealer's website I'm always briefly surprised at how little those bikes cost, and then I immediately remember why

unrelated, but they have a used R1200C on the floor (the BMW cruiser from the Bond movie "Tomorrow Never Dies") and I'd be hard pressed to think of a more "dad" dad bike

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
"it's 20 years old" probably means it's been sitting for that long, but who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
seconding/thirding the title thing, not sure what the process is in California to get a new title issued on a 40-year-old vehicle but I imagine it'll be more of a pain in the rear end than getting that bike running would be