Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I did dad biking yesterday. I took my daughter to her weekend art class on the bike. I also brought back art work in the top box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Saturday there was a freak heat wave all over northern Europe. I took advantage by dadbiking for a solid hour by bringing kiddo to her art thing. She loves riding pillion but hates earplugs so it's all backroads and low revs.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Thanks, I'll try different ones, maybe those. I dislike foamies myself, they make me cough on insertion (it's a thing, bodies are weird).

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I steal a bit of soap and wash mine at work every other day.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I've been using a pair of Alpine Motosafes (touring version) for my entire riding career of two summers (most of the first one was spent getting licenced). Don't know if they're the ultimate solution but I really like the little push stick tube thing for insertion and the little zippered case they come in and how easy to use and comfy they are compared to foamies. They've swollen up a bit at the shaft and tend to get stuck in the tube now so I just ordered a new pair. They don't block sound as well as foamies but are quiet enough for my riding.

But yeah, kiddo needs to wear earplugs when we go dadbiking so I need to find something she's comfortable with. Also a better helmet for next season. Intercom would be sweet but probably a bit spendy for a good setup.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I'm really looking forward to endaddening my new-to-me SV650. All that's holding me back is I'm too broke right now to buy heated grips and luggage racks. The old CBR300R will feature such dadbike equipment when it goes on sale come spring though. Any future rider of it is likely a young person ignorant of dadbiking but I will try to argue the case of the topcase. Perhaps the young person has a dad. (I bought the Honda from the dad of a young person after all).

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I just lowballed someone item unseen who agreed to sell me a triplet of givi monokey top/side cases as well as some associated bracketry for a trivial sum. It's so cheap since all cases are locked and there's no key according to the seller. If the deal goes through, if I can replace the lock cylinders without too much destruction and if I can make the side cases fit my bike I'm going for maximum dad on the SV650.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

UCS Hellmaker posted:

shouldnt be hard at all honestly, getting it open might be the hardest (lol) part then just get a replacement cylinder of choose your poison

almost none of this poo poo is actually worth anything, its just theater to make someone less likely to attempt to try and break in.

Yeah I'm not too worried. There's youtubes of people opening these very locks using both lockpicks and drilling them out. I have access to both types of tools, though I really suck at lockpicking. I'll still try that first because why not. The brackets for the side cases won't fit my bike without modifications but I have various welders and other metal tools I enjoy using so I'll probably be able to figure something out. Otherwise I might have to splurge for model appropriate bracketry.

And yeah, the vast majority of locks are only there to keep honest people honest. They work for what they're intended to do but nothing else. The only lock on my bike worth a drat is the aftermarket disc brake lock I store under the seat.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Project dadbike is go!

I got this haul for €120. Now to try my hand at lockpicking before the drill and die grinder comes out. I have the tools to pick a double sided wafer lock, but zero skills. New cylinders should be less than €50 for a set of three, after that I can use the top case at least, just need to swap out the adapter plate on my rack since I have a monolock now and these are monokey. The side cases will take some additional doing, possibly some bracket shopping too.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I managed to drill out all three cylinders with a minimum of drama and only a broken cheap HSS drill bit. I destroyed nothing that isn't included in the SL103 replacement cylinder kit, at least judging from the product photos - one of the plastic rotating latches that do the actual locking got more than a little damaged so I hope those are really in the package I ordered.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Slavvy posted:

Lol so it charitably 'took' them 1.5 hours a lock

lol indeed. Hell I just finished replacing three case locks I had no key for as a total amateur and it probably took less than an hour's work if I ignore my futile but entertaining attempts att lockpicking. Drilling plus cleanup maybe half an hour, ordering new locks ten minutes, install fifteen minutes. I could do it all again in half an hour total now that I know what's up.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
My bike has a fat rear end now. Endaddening complete.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Thanks, my bike looks like a bunch of balls. It's probably the angle, I think it looks pretty bad especially from the rear but function over form is what dadbiking is all about and it's all relative I guess. Maybe it helps that it's all Givi stuff that's supposed to fit together. The silver trim on the topbox bothers me a tiny little bit and I'd rather it was red or black. I also think the box sits a bit too high up but whatever. It's nice to be able to fit the helmet AND the rain suit at the same time which I could only do by stuffing one into the other in my old, smaller topbox. Or even two full face helmets, imagine that.
On my first and only ride with the side cases on I smacked one of them into the end of a road boom that I've ridden past hundreds of times so I felt real dumb doing that. I haven't tried with both a passenger and side cases mounted yet but it looks like it should work. That's probably an edge case that might never need to occur anyway but options are always nice so I hope it's OK.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I had a zipper failure too on my cold weather jacket last week. The little handle thing you grab to zip just plain fell off, and I was stuck inside the jacket. Thankfully my wife who could lay eyes on the problem helped me put a little keyring inside the zippy thing instead and it works, for now. I'm not afraid of getting the sowing machine out and repairing stuff when I can, but zipper replacements are usually no fun since they more or less start with the zipper and assemble the garment around it when sowing it in the first place.
Both my jackets have pockets for spine armor but I wear a standalone back protector instead since it covers more of my spine and also I feel it sits snugger. The downside apart from extra gear faffing is I forget it at times, ride a few blocks before I notice so I have to turn back and get it and then I'm late for work or something.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I dunno, I think all zippers fail eventually, it's just a matter of time and number of zips or wash cycles or flexes back and forth they can be expected to last. I have an old army jacket (which to my mind seems like an application where you make sure to get quality zippers and buttons and fabrics and seams etc.) where the zipper is giving up the ghost. The pull tab is fine but the actual interlocking teeth have been worn down to the point where they sometimes split apart. The garment was well worn when it came into my possession and I've worn it occasionally for the past 25 years but I think my point still stands. But yeah, ideally the zipper lasts longer than the fabric itself and having to trash a garment because of the zipper is frustrating. Velcro is a different story, that poo poo never lasts and nobody expects it to but unlike zippers it's usually easy enough to replace.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
First really nice day of spring today, all the bikers were out in force, everyone was waving and happy. I dadded out the SV650 with the panniers, took a joy ride, met a prospective buyer for the learner bike but didn't sell it (the guy was really tall and didn't like the ergos of the little Honda), took another joyride, picked up kiddo from a place, fitted her out with gear from the panniers, went grocery shopping, went home. She sat on the pillion singing in her helmet happy as could be, and so was I :shobon:

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I freely admit that my givi-dadded bike looks like poo poo with the top case on, but man it's just so practical that it's extremely rare that I ride without it. Looking like poo poo is an integral component of dadbiking IMHO. I rarely use the panniers but they're great to have at hand for whatever needs that might arise, also long trips. I've ridden with a backpack exactly once this season when I had to transport a slab of marble that was too big to fit in the hard cases. Never doing that again though, it didn't feel very safe.

Dadbike at the easternmost foothills of the Scandinavian mountain range cheading towards Norway in July ^^^

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Also heavier things haul better with less effect on the handling of the bike on the sides, lower to the ground and not as far back either. But yeah, being able to just stash the helmet is such a huge deal for me on the daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

DPM posted:

what could be more dad?
Side cases mounted. Or a Goldwing maybe?
I must confess I have an increasing desire to have an FJR.