Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Watching her continue this silly game, she just went to Dollet and I've always wondered at this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrqWmOKyT-Y

Time is hard to measure in FFVIII but at most it's only been a day or two between Dollet being besieged and occupied and when you can return to it to hear this music.

I guess being invaded and poo poo is just something you get over remarkably quickly.

I seem to recall seeing some flavor text to the effect that they negotiated an armistice whereby the Galbadians would retain control of the antenna tower but not keep an armed presence in the city proper. However, it's possible that I just made that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

aperfectcirclefan posted:

I never played 8. I would like to. What do I need to know in order to have a good time? I don't mind breaking the game either, I find that fun.

8 is the most breakable, free-form Final Fantasy game. Manipulating abstract mechanics to become very powerful is a major part of the appeal.

Repeatedly using the "Draw" command in battle is the worst, slowest, and most boring way to get magic, and many people who hated the game did so because they were the character in the black-and-white section of an infomercial who didn't realize there was a better way. Instead, get the abilities Card (which turns enemies into cards) and Card Mod (which allows you to turn cards into items), then use various Refine abilities to turn those items into magic. Play cards with many NPCs to also get more cards, if you want. You may wish to consult a guide to help you prevent the proliferation of annoying regional card game rules.

However, you should always Draw from bosses, because many of them have unique things you can get this way. There's stuff you can miss, if that bothers you, though anything significant that you do miss you'll get a second chance at... inside the final dungeon.

Enemies scale to the average level of your party, but you can become much stronger than your character level suggests by junctioning powerful magic, so some people who play like to avoid leveling up. Conveniently, enemies turned into cards yield no experience, if you want to do things that way, though it doesn't really matter. You can also get Enc-None, the ability which completely disables all random encounters, relatively early. You shouldn't feel obligated to go to such an extreme, however.

Return to your desk at the school after major plot points to read Selphie's blog. A lot of people don't even know it's there.

There's an infinite money loop you can access as early as disk 2.