Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Level 100 is when you finally get access to the sphere grid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

YggiDee posted:

At level 100 you get the (job mastered) star above your head and are shunted into a completely different combat system

This is almost literally what XI did.

Cap was at 75, but you still put experience into merit points.

Then when it increased to 99, you could unlock special abilities and upgrades to those abilities with capacity points.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
It would be perfectly possible for them to add a story skip later to 6.1, and I think they have deliberately set things to so that that is the obvious point if they ever did it, but I don't know that they ever would.

They will need to do a stat squish when the numbers stop fitting again, right? What was the limit last time?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They're doing the stat squish as they go now, only the latest expansion has the big numbers. At least, that's how I understood it but maybe the live letter explained it differently.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

That's cool. I wonder how that will change current content at the start of 7.0.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Kwyndig posted:

They're doing the stat squish as they go now, only the latest expansion has the big numbers. At least, that's how I understood it but maybe the live letter explained it differently.

I don't think this is true, there's been no indication of any stat squish with Dawntrail.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Has the game reached actual silly numbers before the last squish? (in WoW for ex. they waited till players were hitting for millions before squishing)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Mr. Neutron posted:

Has the game reached actual silly numbers before the last squish? (in WoW for ex. they waited till players were hitting for millions before squishing)

The squish was actually relatively modest. A quick trip to fflogs shows the best players on the higher-damage jobs were doing something like 25k dps at level 80 pre-squish, and now it's about 14k dps at level 90 post-squish

e: or is there something wonky about the reporting, that's not consistent with a 440M HP boss

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 28, 2024

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Depends on what you'd consider silly numbers. The highest HP value a boss had in 5.5 was 440,000,000 HP.
But the reason they stat squished was because they were starting to get overflow bugs, flying text was getting too lengthy, and they were pretty much at the limit of the Tank enmity formula working at all.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Yeah my understanding was that the limitation was in data packets only having room for 32 bits, so I guess it would be when numbers start to hit 2.1 million that it becomes an issue? Though that still seems pretty high.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

e: or is there something wonky about the reporting, that's not consistent with a 440M HP boss
The boss in question was Trinity Avowed (Savage) at max scaling.

lines posted:

Yeah my understanding was that the limitation was in data packets only having room for 32 bits, so I guess it would be when numbers start to hit 2.1 million that it becomes an issue? Though that still seems pretty high.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Oh I forgot about bozja bullshit

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Hogama posted:

The boss in question was Trinity Avowed (Savage) at max scaling.

Great googly moogly.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
They keep that up it will all go to poo poo, Kupo.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Increase the level cap to 9999, then introduce reincarnation back to level 1, Disgaea style :sickos:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Detheros posted:

Increase the level cap to 9999, then introduce reincarnation back to level 1, Disgaea style :sickos:
dungeons and dragons online did this, you get to level 20, you can "true reincarnate" to level 1 and get a tiny bonus depending on what your highest level class was in previous life

there's also a completionist feat, which you can get if you have all class past lives, lol https://ddowiki.com/page/Completionist

Truga fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 28, 2024

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Mainwaring posted:

I don't think this is true, there's been no indication of any stat squish with Dawntrail.

Unless they've changed their minds, that was their plan going forward after doing the first stat squish. Basically, the stats given by each ilvl in the current expansion will be squished when the next comes out, as a kind of invisible process in the background so they don't have to do a big visible squish every X expansions.

Of course, they could have changed their minds and are doing something different.

Hogama posted:

Depends on what you'd consider silly numbers. The highest HP value a boss had in 5.5 was 440,000,000 HP.
But the reason they stat squished was because they were starting to get overflow bugs, flying text was getting too lengthy, and they were pretty much at the limit of the Tank enmity formula working at all.

And yeah, numbers were getting big, but they had ways around that they could have taken if they wanted. The reason they had to do the squish was tank enmity was getting dangerously close to breaking, and not in a fun way.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Has a group ever made enmity overflow on purpose to see what happens? It should be possible even post-squish by having eight tanks go in against a non-threatening boss and provoke/shirk in a circle for the entire fight

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Qwertycoatl posted:

Has a group ever made enmity overflow on purpose to see what happens? It should be possible even post-squish by having eight tanks go in against a non-threatening boss and provoke/shirk in a circle for the entire fight

a shirklejerk if you will

RME
Feb 20, 2012

You think I don’t know this. You think that some games letting you go past 9999 stops it from being iconic as the damage cap.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

lines posted:

It would be perfectly possible for them to add a story skip later to 6.1, and I think they have deliberately set things to so that that is the obvious point if they ever did it, but I don't know that they ever would.

They will need to do a stat squish when the numbers stop fitting again, right? What was the limit last time?

There will be a skip to 7.0. There just won't be a free skip to 7.0.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I assume we'll get our job gear at lv99, you can tell yourself that's the same as capping if you like.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

In what world does that even make sense

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

the world that gave us our 90 job gear at 89

RME
Feb 20, 2012

You’re saying you get your af gear at 89 and call yourself level capped ?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It would be cheeky of them if you're softcapped at 99 and the MSQ has you get your potential awoken by Guru or something, allowing you to hit 100 (and beyond).

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nessus posted:

It would be cheeky of them if you're softcapped at 99 and the MSQ has you get your potential awoken by Guru or something, allowing you to hit 100 (and beyond).

You get capped at 99, but the cutscene before the final boss causes you to break your limits and hit 100. Then you can set your new capstone ability on your hotbar while you wait in the trial queue.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Nessus posted:

This is how they finally bring Maat over to 14.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Important information
https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1773280911443874018?s=19

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Rap Game Goku posted:

There will be a skip to 7.0. There just won't be a free skip to 7.0.

Story skips plop you at the expansion before, so it'll be a paid skip to 6.0. Have fun having no idea what is going on!

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I’m doing new game plus for all the arr stuff because I don’t remember any of it since I played it so long ago and it’s honestly the best possible way to experience the story. Loving just about every moment and even some of the more roundabout fetch quest bs is easy when I can fly there in seconds and one shot all the enemies.

At one point I was thinking “hey what happened to all these old scions at the waking sands, why don’t any of them show up in the expansions so it was a genuine shock when the garleans killed them because I had completely forgotten any of the story

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

inferis posted:

I’m doing new game plus for all the arr stuff because I don’t remember any of it since I played it so long ago and it’s honestly the best possible way to experience the story. Loving just about every moment and even some of the more roundabout fetch quest bs is easy when I can fly there in seconds and one shot all the enemies.

At one point I was thinking “hey what happened to all these old scions at the waking sands, why don’t any of them show up in the expansions so it was a genuine shock when the garleans killed them because I had completely forgotten any of the story

The thing I remember most is that the corpse size determines how long it takes for you to pick them up.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

The thing I remember most is that the corpse size determines how long it takes for you to pick them up.

My lalafell carrying four at a time lmao

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
I started ng+ for HW part 4 just so I could hear the Japanese VA for Arbert do his line for we did everything right, everything that was asked of us, and i learned that Aymeric stans have their cake whenever they want because the place part 4 drops you off at is right before the date with him

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

KoB posted:

they should do a level squish just because theres so many useless levels between 1 and 50. Only needs to be like 30 levels with the skills decently spaced out.

THe rate at which you get stuff would still be the same since youd still just hit 30 for ARR, but levels where you get stuff are more fun than levels where you get nothing.

Yeah, they should have had ARR cap at 30, then add 10 levels per expansion. Level Cap would match Expansion Number. So 7.0 Dawntrail would have a level cap of 70.

Too late now, though.

YggiDee posted:

At level 100 you get the (job mastered) star above your head and are shunted into a completely different combat system

Detheros posted:

I'd love to see some kind of rebirth/reincarnation/prestige system implemented. I enjoy leveling, and this would mean I don't need to make alts.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah, they should have had ARR cap at 30, then add 10 levels per expansion. Level Cap would match Expansion Number. So 7.0 Dawntrail would have a level cap of 70.

Too late now, though.

I'd love to see some kind of rebirth/reincarnation/prestige system implemented. I enjoy leveling, and this would mean I don't need to make alts.

You'd have to put ARR at 20 for Dawntrail to have 70 as the cap.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

You'd have to put ARR at 20 for Dawntrail to have 70 as the cap.

Whoops! That's right. Oh well.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

OK, so Paladin gets to keep Gauge when zoning and even logging out, but the other 3 lose theirs?

That's just wrong.

Either nerf Paladin or buff the other 3.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I think it's moreso that Paladin just starts with gauge at baseline, for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Paladin's gauge is just tied to defense cooldowns. There's no reason to compare them.