Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Ngl, the new mooncat fangs are the only change I didn’t hate, they look much better, but they need to not be cowards and give us length selection. I want my chompers deadly.

The wording on the statement they put out is super confusing and vague in areas, I assume intentionally. No idea what fixes we’ll be seeing. I’d already discounted any complaint I may have had that could have been caused by lighting, so I guess I’m just going to hold my breath and see what geometry fixes we get. I’m probably gonna have to keep making noise over on the official forums if I want my cats lip gap and nose back, or these fake lashes cast into mt doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Give me your fake lashes

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i'm surprised and impressed that they're spending the time to update the benchmark at all frankly.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Replace the FFXIV character creator with the Dragon's Dogma 2 character creator.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kerrzhe posted:

i'm surprised and impressed that they're spending the time to update the benchmark at all frankly.

It's a modestly high visibility PR thing in the run up to the expansion so I can understand them wanting it to properly show off the new stuff.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cheap Shot posted:

Ngl, the new mooncat fangs are the only change I didn’t hate, they look much better, but they need to not be cowards and give us length selection. I want my chompers deadly.

The wording on the statement they put out is super confusing and vague in areas, I assume intentionally. No idea what fixes we’ll be seeing. I’d already discounted any complaint I may have had that could have been caused by lighting, so I guess I’m just going to hold my breath and see what geometry fixes we get. I’m probably gonna have to keep making noise over on the official forums if I want my cats lip gap and nose back, or these fake lashes cast into mt doom.

:same:

I feel like alot of the main problems I had with the CC and benchmark is just completely new eyebrows, chins, noses, and lips which probably are different than lighting problems :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zone into Bardam's Mettle, do the first big pull, reach for one of my mitigation buttons, and it isn't there -- my instincts were that I was still on my Paladin, not Gunbreaker.

I have never panic-slammed Superbolide so quickly, give me time to remember what job I'm actually playing.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Replace the FFXIV character creator with the Dragon's Dogma 2 character creator.

my female hrothgar looks great!

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Vitamean posted:

please don't swipe your credit card for dyes

instead i will swipe my credit card for a $12.60 pair of virtual shoes

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Cheap Shot posted:

Honestly, imagine if it turns out that the bulk of the texture issues mentioned is literally every one you chose on your character and the new benchmark fixes it.

Mostly for positive thinking, I hope your PC resembles her old self more after the tweaks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I do think it was kinda funny for Yoshi to say "hey maybe we should implement the update into the first thing a new player sees"

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

gay devil posted:

sorta 50/50 on this cause while I don't think you should swipe on glam, I can at least understand why you'd want it since it's not available in game. I've bought a few glam sets.

but dyes, man. you can buy them for gil. even the most expensive dyes are only like 500k per pot, and you're probably using those on a plate that you'll keep forever. save your money and buy a mount instead :)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I wonder how much the price of jet black will go up once people need two of them per item

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

FuturePastNow posted:

I wonder how much the price of jet black will go up once people need two of them per item

I am stockpiling black and white dyes pre-DT whenever I see them at a low price to hopefully Lolorito my way into a bunch of gil.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

gay devil posted:

I'm there are def cute boots I wanted from mog station but I can't bring myself to pay for the full price for outfits especially since I change glams with seasons and also when I feel bored with my current outfit.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

Jet Black is a trap dye anyway.

Though I should probably get a leg up on selling island dye, if I wait until too close to DT the market will probably get glutted.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

FuturePastNow posted:

I legitimately do not know what the obsession with jet black is besides being ~edgy~ because gun metal is right there and has far more depth to it.

I'll die in my hoard of metallic purple and green.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Rynoto posted:

I legitimately do not know what the obsession with jet black is besides being ~edgy~ because gun metal is right there and has far more depth to it.

Gun metal is pretty good but it doesn't really have the same feeling as Jet Black dyes imho I can't bring myself to use Jet Black on my glams since it's just way too expensive. Then I feel like I'm wasting it since I got it from the Gold/Silver feathers trade-in so I've been hoarding my 4 dyes since StB.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The trick is to dye everything you’d want to be the color to jet black before putting it in the glamour dresser. That way it becomes your reusable “base” and you dye away from it on your plates instead of burning dye on temporary glamour plates.

But also, when you get to a certain level of Gil, what else are you going to spend it on.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

seeing a lot of ninja erasure itt

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Gunmetal is imo more of a trap - it's sometimes the right choice but it can often look cheap and silvery. We'll see what the new graphics do. Jet Black just pops different but it is spenny.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Rynoto posted:

I'll die in my hoard of metallic purple and green.

If I need black, Soot Black looks good 90% of the time. The other 10% I can use either Gunmetal Black or Dark Purple if I don't want it to be shiny.

I have occasionally had to use Pure White to color match a piece with something that came in that particular bright white, but if everything is dyable I can just use Snow White or Pearl White instead.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

For real most of the time dark blue/purple/brown will do as well or better than jet black, and those are way cheaper dyes.

And yeah I prefer gunmetal if I want true black but I'm a fan of clothes with some sheen to them (yoship fix clothes with shininess on the base color so regular dyes don't turn them matte)

aers
Feb 15, 2012

i hope in DT they've randomly changed every single dye's color by 1-5 in each channel

i should note that dyes in XIV are controlled by a client file called "stainingtemplate" (dyes are stains internally) and the benchmark has a new file called "stainingtemplate_gud" and i'd guess gud means graphics update

haven't really done a comparison between them yet

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Genovera posted:

If I need black, Soot Black looks good 90% of the time. The other 10% I can use either Gunmetal Black or Dark Purple if I don't want it to be shiny.

I have occasionally had to use Pure White to color match a piece with something that came in that particular bright white, but if everything is dyable I can just use Snow White or Pearl White instead.

:yeah:

I buy 99x stacks of soot black and snow white for my most common dyed gears but I do find that a lot of default colors don't match well with available dyes too. I wonder how much 2 dye channel dyes still change this part.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I cannot wait to find out which two dyes clash the most and use them together constantly.

Glamour is a PvP mode.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Genovera posted:

That's what I've found as well. Unless I'm color-matching something Soot Black usually looks fine. If I'm holding them right next to each other Jet is noticable but just alone on a glam? Fine.

I'm really optimistic for those 2-dye channels when they get rolled out to old gear because there's some sets that are great undyed but when you dye the main channel the rest turns into a muddy version of that same color and loses all the interesting stuff. So at least being able to brighten that back up will help.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Two dye channels would probably help me save money because the times I've used Jet Black was to match the currently non-dyeable part of a glam piece. Like for the Calfskin Leather Jacket, I used Ruby Red Dye which dyes the jacket but the shirt stays black and I wanted to have pants that match that black so I had to use Jet Black. If the second dye channel lets me change the shirt color, then I could dye the shirt and pants Soot Black for the look I wanted.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Alder posted:

:yeah:

I buy 99x stacks of soot black and snow white for my most common dyed gears but I do find that a lot of default colors don't match well with available dyes too. I wonder how much 2 dye channel dyes still change this part.

Probably gonna mainly be my current problem of "the metal bits on the top aren't the same color as the metal bits on my boots" but at least the other colors will look right!

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Hellioning posted:

I cannot wait to find out which two dyes clash the most and use them together constantly.

Glamour is a PvP mode.

Can't wait to dye my AF Red Mage gear metallic green and metallic purple - no hat

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

aers posted:

i should note that dyes in XIV are controlled by a client file called "stainingtemplate" (dyes are stains internally) and the benchmark has a new file called "stainingtemplate_gud" and i'd guess gud means graphics update

what are the odds their internal repo for the update is Git-GUD :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

FuturePastNow posted:

Just use Dark Purple. It’s basically indistinguishable.

Edit: gunmetal is great for polished boot leather.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sunday Morning posted:

Can't wait to dye my AF Red Mage gear metallic green and metallic purple - no hat

Use the Darbar Hat Of Casting.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Alder posted:

I'm there are def cute boots I wanted from mog station but I can't bring myself to pay for the full price for outfits especially since I change glams with seasons and also when I feel bored with my current outfit.

lol I've been using the same glam since ARR. Onion Set and Gae Bolg Nexus for life.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I would kill for a dye inventory like other mmos have. We have one for crafting crystals which barely matter. Half my inventory is dye pots.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Reduce them down to universal dyes. EG: “Blue Dye” which can do most blues (the can easily bought for Gil from vendors), and “High Quality Blue” which can do the rarer ones you typically need to craft or get via currencies.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Cheap Shot posted:

I would kill for a dye inventory like other mmos have. We have one for crafting crystals which barely matter. Half my inventory is dye pots.

We could literally use the quest inventory and not fill up on quest items.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Just use Dark Purple. It’s basically indistinguishable.

Edit: gunmetal is great for polished boot leather.

Dark purple also pops more on pieces where you get two shades from one dye. It can go both ways, but in most cases I prefer that.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

personally i am looking forward to how the scions look with the upgrade. is it possible to make Urianger even hotter than he already is? stay tuned and find out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I wanna see Hephaistos with the new update.