Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
he only talks normal when he's stoned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
i’ve been playing ffxiv since mid-2022 on PS5 + controller and i recently tried to pick up WHM and AST. struggled immensely. got frustrated and put it down for like 6 months. friend convinced me to try using mouse and keyboard and oh my god my life has been changed

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I've been playing healer on controller for roughly a decade and find it easy to do and mostly relaxing. I imagine practice and muscle memory play into it, though.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
you can do mouse over casting can't you? that would make healing on pc so much easier

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Hogama posted:

I've been playing healer on controller for roughly a decade and find it easy to do and mostly relaxing. I imagine practice and muscle memory play into it, though.

Yeah. I’ve been playing on controller the whole time since 2021 because my brain can’t wrap itself around WASD controls in 3D games and I find healing with controller perfectly fine. I think like a lot of things it just depends on how you learn to play in the first place.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Post-post-Heavensward question.

Is the main Warrior of Darkness guy supposed to resemble the generic player-character they use in trailers?

Cause that would be kinda cool. It'd be even cooler if it was a mirror of the actual player of course, though I could see the story eventually going there now that they've set up a multiverse.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Attack on Princess posted:

Is the main Warrior of Darkness guy supposed to resemble the generic player-character they use in trailers?

Cause that would be kinda cool. It'd be even cooler if it was a mirror of the actual player of course, though I could see the story eventually going there now that they've set up a multiverse.

the whole team is lifted from the 1.0 and 2.0 trailers

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The resemblance to Meteor Survivor/John Finalfantasy/the trailer guy is not coincidental and will be explained later.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Fantastic. Thank you.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Biggest tip for controller healing is up and down on the d pad cycle through targeting your party in order on the list. Easily target the tank by pressing down twice.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Rynoto posted:

This would be legitimately a good thing.

Yeah. I trust the writers either way, but it would be funny if this expansion was just a low-stakes (by our standards at least) succession conflict and they didn't immediately give us our new overarching antagonist group that somehow poses as much of/more of a threat than the Ascians did.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

1stGear posted:

My wild speculation is that the first half of the story will be the whole "Trying to stop the Warmonger from becoming king" that we're expecting. The big halfway twist will be the Warmonger winning fair and square. Trying to figure out a way to stop him from invading without deposing a rightfully chosen monarch is what will push us towards Solution Nine and the woman in white.

How exactly that'll work, I have no idea.

The Warmonger will also turn out to be Wuk Lamat, who only threw out the invasion stuff as marketing, and doesn't really plan to invade. This leads to Wuk going, "Well now what?".

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

Waffleman_ posted:

Biggest tip for controller healing is up and down on the d pad cycle through targeting your party in order on the list. Easily target the tank by pressing down twice.

Yeeee I love this; my main issues on AST have been 1) drawing/playing cards (having to cycle up to target DPS) and casting earthly star- I don’t know why but ground targeting is nigh impossible on my controller.

I have cross hotbars set up as well (double tap triggers brings up an additional hotbar and it’s still kinda annoying.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Zeruel posted:

you can do mouse over casting can't you? that would make healing on pc so much easier
Mouseover for targeting isn't great in my experience, and I don't know anyone who uses mouseover for very much. I do it for Aetherial Manipulation but usually I'm just trying to teleport to a group of people rather than trying to pick out someone specific.

barclayed posted:

casting earthly star- I don’t know why but ground targeting is nigh impossible on my controller.
Using a macro to cast Earthly Star like

/ac "Earthly Star" <t>

will drop Earthly Star on the middle of your target's hitbox without you having to fiddle with the ground target. With Star being so drat big now, doing that will cover most-all of the arena most of the time.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

iPodschun posted:

/ac "Earthly Star" <t>

will drop Earthly Star on the middle of your target's hitbox without you having to fiddle with the ground target. With Star being so drat big now, doing that will cover most-all of the arena most of the time.
Also, if you can't get a target for whatever reason, freely-placed fields will just default back to the cast marker, so they've always been one of the best use cases for macros in combat.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Zeruel posted:

mouseover stuff kinda sucks unless you're using the plugin reaction/moaction/whatever its called these days, i understand.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Regular ol' mouseover macros suffer from the same issue as all combat macros, so you need to rely on plugins for that functionality. I do think combat speed in FFXIV is comparatively slow enough so that the dance of clicking on a party bar, healing, and then returning to your current target is fast enough to not be cumbersome, although it does take some practice.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'll just click on party members, but then I'll hit tab or my select focus target hotkey to get back to the combat target.

If tab targeting feels bad, and it probably does, there are a handful of settings you can cycle through to change the targeting priorities and functionality on it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Vermain posted:

Regular ol' mouseover macros suffer from the same issue as all combat macros, so you need to rely on plugins for that functionality. I do think combat speed in FFXIV is comparatively slow enough so that the dance of clicking on a party bar, healing, and then returning to your current target is fast enough to not be cumbersome, although it does take some practice.

It's really useful to bind the 'assist target' to a button you can easily reach, so you can
Click party list / player model -> press some OGCd heal -> press assist to target the boss -> press your next damage GCD
Without losing any DPS uptime

e:

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'll just click on party members, but then I'll hit tab or my select focus target hotkey to get back to the combat target.
This works too, but it requires actually looking at the boss, which isn't always the case (especially with the big ones that hang out outside the arena) so I got used to using assist instead

Tamba fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 23, 2024

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dawntrail Bingo Card

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

YggiDee posted:

he only talks normal when he's stoned

Operation Get Urianger High

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

"tragically hot villain" should be another square, it's equally as important and likely

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Erenville my beloved...I wouldn't be upset even though I dislike playing as a limited battle system moment.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you're not supposed to make the Bingo card 75% free spaces

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
"Tataru makes a glam set that nobody will use." What the gently caress????

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What are the conditions for "Estinien suddenly shows up"? Cause he literally does that in the trailer.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The glam set Tataru gives you at the start of Shadowbringers loving slaps and if you didn't cosplay as a goth for that entire expansion you did it wrong.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

honestly if they do this a 3rd time I'm just gonna skip the remaining cutscenes

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

Dawntrail Bingo Card

What's that about Tataru glam? :( I was ecstatic getting the HW set today. The jacket rocks.

It dyes like rear end, but Dawntrail will lead it into a golden age.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

They're OK mostly I wear other all-job gear since it's easier to match :shobon:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Kheldarn posted:

Dawntrail Bingo Card

Post em

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What's that about Tataru glam? :( I was ecstatic getting the HW set today. The jacket rocks.

I love the jacket regardless, but ladies got the way cooler variation.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I definitely wore Tataru's coat to Garlemald.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

There will be an Erenville RP duty but it's basically a gathering leve without the benefit of stealth.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Thundarr posted:

There will be an Erenville RP duty but it's basically a gathering leve without the benefit of stealth.

I'd take it since I feel like IDR many male bun NPC beyond him and the New Year's guy.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Urianger will try deception again but Y'shtola will just slap him and then he spends the rest of the expansion moping that he doesn't get to spent multiple patches repeatedly mea culpa-ing.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Augus posted:

you're not supposed to make the Bingo card 75% free spaces

This time around, it's a race to see which spots fill in first!

Failboattootoot posted:

"Tataru makes a glam set that nobody will use." What the gently caress????

1stGear posted:

The glam set Tataru gives you at the start of Shadowbringers loving slaps and if you didn't cosplay as a goth for that entire expansion you did it wrong.

I didn't make the card, and I totally use parts of the Wayfarer's set all the time. I also use parts from both Scion's sets. I even use some parts from the Level 89 Gear in Old Sharlayan.

Electric Phantasm posted:

What are the conditions for "Estinien suddenly shows up"? Cause he literally does that in the trailer.

My guess is that we know he's there, but we're gonna run into a situation where, last we knew, he hosed off in the opposite direction from where we were headed, and then BAM! He's shows up. Deus Ex Estinian.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

iPodschun posted:

Mouseover for targeting isn't great in my experience, and I don't know anyone who uses mouseover for very much. I do it for Aetherial Manipulation but usually I'm just trying to teleport to a group of people rather than trying to pick out someone specific.

/ac "Earthly Star" <t>

Is <st> a thing in XIV? In XI it would let you select a target and then perform the action when you confirmed on a target.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I know I'm a weirdo for this but I've still always thought clicking or mousing over for anything is insane because I never know where my mouse pointer is that thing is invisible because I'm holding right click the last thing I want is to have to find my mouse pointer and make sure to click or hover the right thing in s heated moment. It's hosed up but in my head like quickly pushing F# > Key > Tab makes way more sense than trying to click anything. Then again I use my right hand, taking it off my mouse to press rarely used keys like potions which is, apparently "serial killer behavior" so what do I know. Better than clicking anything ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://x.com/thancredmatsu/status/1782624525911507423