Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Glagha posted:

I know I'm a weirdo for this but I've still always thought clicking or mousing over for anything is insane because I never know where my mouse pointer is that thing is invisible because I'm holding right click the last thing I want is to have to find my mouse pointer and make sure to click or hover the right thing in s heated moment. It's hosed up but in my head like quickly pushing F# > Key > Tab makes way more sense than trying to click anything. Then again I use my right hand, taking it off my mouse to press rarely used keys like potions which is, apparently "serial killer behavior" so what do I know. Better than clicking anything ever

I click on everything, except when targeting the closest enemy (keybind on mouse) and some game menus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Made it to Elpis after some delays where I realized I got too many levels to actually get anything from the MSQ lol.

I am so glad all those tall bastards actually speak now instead of honking at 300% of everyone else's volume.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The technical term is "weenwoon"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I always thought it was kinda funny that Ascians talked like the parents from Peanuts. Besides all the post-sundering ones that spoke entirely in anime villain obviously

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Kheldarn posted:

Dawntrail Bingo Card
Excuse me, you're missing "Duty where you play as the Nutkin"

(Unironically give this to me, make it a platforming challenge for them to scamper up and open a door for us)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yapping Eevee posted:

Excuse me, you're missing "Duty where you play as the Nutkin"

(Unironically give this to me, make it a platforming challenge for them to scamper up and open a door for us)

Mandatory leap of faith? Devious. I think it'd replace In From The Cold as the most controversial story duty.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

The nutkin is going to be the next member of the Scions.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hellioning posted:

Mandatory leap of faith? Devious. I think it'd replace In From The Cold as the most controversial story duty.

We need to avoid mischevious fey transported from the First.

Leap of Fuath.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

the game is actually going to turn primarily into a mahjong anime for this expansion

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Professor Beetus posted:

I always thought it was kinda funny that Ascians talked like the parents from Peanuts.

They reminded me of the Twili from Twilight Princess, personally, which made an A+ contribution to the melancholy of the whole Amaurot segment.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Martman posted:

the game is actually going to turn primarily into a mahjong anime for this expansion

Which one? Because there are good and bad answers here.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

the george bush one

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Hellioning posted:

Which one? Because there are good and bad answers here.

the one whose manga is/was bogged down in an eternal tournament/match for a decade/decades following its last anime adaptation

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
So the good one then

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zeruel posted:

you can do mouse over casting can't you? that would make healing on pc so much easier

mouseover healing means macro healing, macroing any GCD is clunky as gently caress

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
I just won a house auction, huzzah!

Years ago when I had a house I dabbled in gardening, mainly making some Jute and Jute seeds. Is gardening still worth the effort or has the market cooled?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

YorexTheMad posted:

I just won a house auction, huzzah!

Years ago when I had a house I dabbled in gardening, mainly making some Jute and Jute seeds. Is gardening still worth the effort or has the market cooled?

It's still good, though I dunno about jute specifically. I've been doing onions forever. Also grats!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So I've been taking an alt through ARR to learn how to play on a controller from the ground up, and I have a couple observations. For starters, it's been like 7 years since I played through ARR, so I don't even really remember what they've cut, but drat does it feel like a chainsaw was taken to the story. And somehow the sylphs still occupy about ten percent of it. It generally just feels anemic, you barely get any context or sense of scale for the conflict between the allied nations of Eorzea and the various tribes, so much so that it feels like "wow, this poo poo was really a problem for these entire nations with armies and support from the scions, at least one of whom also has the echo?" A lot of the areas in ARR feel weirdly vestigal too, like you're only going to go there if you happen to see and/or care about the yellow quest markers on your map.

The other big thing is going through the hunting logs and many of the side quests, an alarming number of them seem to involve murdering sentient creatures on a whim. Not sentient, but there's a quest in Costa del Sol that you get from Gegerugu that's essentially yo slaughter a bunch of buffalo because he thinks they're causing earthquakes. So I guess if you do all that poo poo your WOL is a straight up murderous psycho that will do just about anything someone asks of them.

ARR has some weird vibes is what I'm saying, and I think some of the story pruning was much to its detriment. Hard not to recommend a story skip tbh.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I've also been replaying to learn controller and I think ARR actually holds up really well, though I'm probably only, like, four-ish years removed from my first playthrough. There's definitely a lot of weirdness and the 2.x parts are uneven in their pacing, none of which is not surprising but I absolutely would not recommend skipping it on a first play.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I don't really think the pruned quests introduced those issues, they were always there. Some zones did always feel vestigial to the main story outside of job quests, and ARR was generally weird about tribe stuff until patch content. Its pacing is slow with the important stuff heavily back-loaded. Would still definitely not recommend skipping unless someone finds it completely intolerable.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
TBF the hunt logs also include a bunch of imperials, too.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Even in 2.x there were a few areas that I just never had any reason to go to. A few get touched on in job quests or the like, but some are just kinda empty set dressing.

There are a lot of design decisions that are just a product of the time. Like the quests that are just collect 10 bear asses. Why? It's an mmo, that's why.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

OddObserver posted:

TBF the hunt logs also include a bunch of imperials, too.

Yeah but those are fascists, not people

gay devil posted:

I don't really think the pruned quests introduced those issues, they were always there. Some zones did always feel vestigial to the main story outside of job quests, and ARR was generally weird about tribe stuff until patch content. Its pacing is slow with the important stuff heavily back-loaded. Would still definitely not recommend skipping unless someone finds it completely intolerable.

That's good to know I guess, it had been so long I couldn't remember if that stuff was better then or not. Stuff is getting good now that I am nearing 50 and taking the fight to the empire though, it just seemed like a weird meandering plot to get here. Story could have used a bit more focus imo.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 24, 2024

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

There's a lot of places that lost focus in the quest culling. You used to spend more MSQ in Hawthorne Hut or Highbridge for example. You have zero reason to set foot into Outer La Noscea during the 2.0 msq though.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 24, 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It gets brought up a lot, but it bears repeating that ARR was developed at a breakneck pace, so pacing, tone, and overall world design was far more ad hoc compared to their later output. Even then, Stormblood's the first expansion where it felt like they'd finally developed a good internal process for plotting and world design so that the MSQ proceeded at a good clip without leaving any area feeling devoid of context or empty of content.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Vermain posted:

It gets brought up a lot, but it bears repeating that ARR was developed at a breakneck pace, so pacing, tone, and overall world design was far more ad hoc compared to their later output. Even then, Stormblood's the first expansion where it felt like they'd finally developed a good internal process for plotting and world design so that the MSQ proceeded at a good clip without leaving any area feeling devoid of context or empty of content.

Eh, the east half of the Fringes and most of The Lochs are still pretty pointless. I'd say they didn't get it down until Shadowbringers.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm doing ARR dungeons for WAR and it's amazing how much I forgot the maps to early areas since the last time I visited when I leveled SMN in early EW time. Although it's not my first tank ever I feel bad that I'm happily going the wrong way in the last few places and it's going p slow compared to my usual path.

Also, I'm lvl 36 so I have all the DR locked and it feels weird knowing I can only do Leveling and Guildhest right now.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Ojjeorago posted:

Eh, the east half of the Fringes and most of The Lochs are still pretty pointless. I'd say they didn't get it down until Shadowbringers.

I think they intentionally throw some areas in every zone that aren't going to get much use in the planned MSQ to fill out the world and leave room for future, unplanned stuff. Anden's Airs in Il Mheg had no purpose until the Pixie quests and then got a deeper tie-in with one of the EW Custom Delivery NPCs for example. Or Heimdall's Last Sight has had very little despite being a very notable landmark of a crashed Allagan ship on the moon. Ever visited the plateau east of Yedlihmad when the Arkasodara didn't ask you to?

They've made less, but certainly better, use of it as each expansion went up to ShB, but I don't think they're going to completely stop, nor do I think they should. Having those places makes the world feel a little bigger, since they exist and can be visited irrespective of an explicit need to go there dictated by the MSQ.

Onean fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 24, 2024

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I think they've struck a good balance between MSQ-necessary locations and stuff for flavor at this point, even if there are some early zones with growing pains (looking at you, Heavensward). I think condensing zones much further would create something much more on-rails-feeling, and I appreciate that there's room to explore and screw around even if it's not particularly relevant to advancement.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Sometimes it's cool just to have some scenery or area that isn't important to the story. Or poo poo like Nyunkrepf's ark just chilling on the edge of a zone.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Silly question, but is there any reason to hang onto old moogle tomes?

e: And is there anywhere I can store outdoor furnishings without having a house? (Just FC room) Or just gotta leave them on a retainer?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 24, 2024

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

e: And is there anywhere I can store outdoor furnishings without having a house? (Just FC room) Or just gotta leave them on a retainer?

You can turn old tomes into items but otherwise, I throw them out. Yeah you can only store outdoor stuff on retainers if you don't have a house.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Oxyclean posted:

Swing by the mogtome moogle just to make sure you don't want anything, since the previous event's items remain available while older event's tomes can be traded in for a consumable (I think it's just the Job Mastery one?). After that, no, there's no reason to hang on to them. They've never repeated a tomestone, so just toss any remaining when you've spent as many as you want.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

When is the next tomestone event, anyway? Been finally getting around to my backlog of other games, so I’ve fallen behind the times

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Regalingualius posted:

When is the next tomestone event, anyway? Been finally getting around to my backlog of other games, so I’ve fallen behind the times

here's the schedule they put up at the live letter:

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Oh dang, the Yo-Kai Watch event started? I need to do that.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You don't actually.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I was watching some YT guides on the event and I realized...I kinda dislike all of the weapon designs alot. Thankfully I did buy all the minions so I bought the framer kit and now I'm free.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i really like the warrior weapon so I will be fighting for my life in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Do achievement fates do anything for the event? I’d love to cross off some achievement prompts when I get into old zones.