Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Went and did some FATES in Southern Thanalan since I picked Whisper as my first Yo-Kai. I actually had fun and ended up getting five of his legendary medals for his weapon and enough regular medals to get three Yo-Kai which I naturally used to get Jibanyan, Komsan and USApyon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
If you haven't done the event before you should do Jibanyan, Kyubi or Venoct as your first weapon because the cost goes up after the first and Central Shroud is the lowest level and thus most pain in the rear end to grind of the 5 ARR zones you need.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah if you're planning to get all the weapons / mounts there's a recommended order for zones (although thankfully the later weapons don't require quite as many medals as in the original version of the event). You want to do your first weapons in zones where it's bad to do FATEs in (low level zones and those which are split or very spread out), and finish in Outer La Noscea where you will go between the two alternatively respawning kobold daily FATEs in the mines.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ojjeorago posted:

If you haven't done the event before you should do Jibanyan, Kyubi or Venoct as your first weapon because the cost goes up after the first and Central Shroud is the lowest level and thus most pain in the rear end to grind of the 5 ARR zones you need.

Alternately, consider that every single other person has gotten that advice and is trying to do them first. Game theory is fun!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I picked the ones I thought were cute(minions or weapons) and I blindly go to zones with fates and do them until I hit 5 legendary medals for a session or get bored.

After years of WoW holidays these FF14 holidays are a breeze.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also valid, you have two months.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Does anyone here use that Hori Tactical Assault Commander controller (the FFXIV edition or otherwise)? If so, how does that work when connected to a PC, does the PC just see it as a PS4 controller with buttons mapped to the keys? (in other words does it work with any controller game?)

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
FATE grinding events are where Blue Mage shines. Level sync doesn't matter for their kit and in the lowest level zones 1000 Needles becomes god tier.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
You newcomers to the Yo-Kai Watch even have it easy!!! EASY, I TELL YOU!!!

For a look back into the past, during the original Yo-Kai Watch event in 2016, these were the requirements:

pre:
      Minion    Weapon
1st        1         7 
2nd        3         9
3rd        3        11
4th        3        15
5th        5        15
6th        5        15
7th        5        15
8th        7        15
9th        7        15
10th       7        15
11th       9        30
12th       9        30
13th       9        30
TOTAL     73       222
In comparison, now it is:

First minion - 1 Medal
Second minion onwards - 3 Medals
Total for all minions - 49 Medals

First weapon - 5 Medals
Second weapon onwards - 10 Medals
Total for all minions - 165 Medals

Originally 295 Medals for 13 weapons/minions vs the current 214 Medals for 17 weapons/minions.

it is also speculated that the drop rate is at least double what it was originally.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FuturePastNow posted:

Does anyone here use that Hori Tactical Assault Commander controller (the FFXIV edition or otherwise)? If so, how does that work when connected to a PC, does the PC just see it as a PS4 controller with buttons mapped to the keys? (in other words does it work with any controller game?)

I have a similar device and it's not quite like that, you're mapping keyboard keys to the buttons, it doesn't think it's a PS4 controller. Could be a difference between mine and Hori's version though

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

What's the best route, since reddit's apparently making GBS threads the bed at the moment?

I did the three in Central Shroud last night

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Regalingualius posted:

What's the best route, since reddit's apparently making GBS threads the bed at the moment?

I did the three in Central Shroud last night
Here is a spreadsheet someone made during ShB for the current version of the event:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v0WSYddatxopqSOIl92g1c0zdsctE5NdAL5Pe3G1wso/htmlview?pru=AAABdCr_xfU*w_jEVzr3ZlaWIkE00fbgKw

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Where does it tell you which fates for which minion? Do you just have to put on the watch? I was having blood glucose issues when I did the initial quest yesterday and kinda glossed over it (or it wasn't explained well). I picked the little snake guy because they were just random names and I had no idea what I was getting. He sure is cute though!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

They give you a book with the watch, check under Collections.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

Where does it tell you which fates for which minion? Do you just have to put on the watch? I was having blood glucose issues when I did the initial quest yesterday and kinda glossed over it (or it wasn't explained well). I picked the little snake guy because they were just random names and I had no idea what I was getting. He sure is cute though!

You need to equip the Yokai Watch to get the normal medals used for buying the minions. Then to get the Legendary [Yokai] Medals that are used for buying the weapons, you need to have that minion summoned and do FATEs in its specific zones. There's a Yokai Compendium in the collections menu that has the zone info.

Here's an alternate spreadsheet/checklist someone made for this run of the event.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lEIns_IivCLSuFHu_4UmmCaHqvlOq--nxe_NTLxNZPk/edit#gid=0

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

lines posted:

I got my Hori F14 TacCom today. Any thoughts on good ways to set it up? The one annoyance I have is that on this model the joystick is upright so it's kinda hard to use in a totally natural way - it would be better if you could angle it tbh. But otherwise it seems cool and I'm interested to get to grips with it, seems like it has a lot of potential.
I'm used to the upright joystick on the G13 so I'm already used to controlling it with the side of my thumb. I did stick an adhesive rubber foot on it because the concave top was annoying me.

As far as setting it up, I map the button next to the joystick to Ctrl, and use a bunch of hotbars to make two virtual keypads on the screen for with and without Ctrl.

FuturePastNow posted:

The software lets me map controller buttons to the keys, so it might be possible to set it up to work with PS4 games, but I can't actually test. It shows up in FFXIV as specifically Hori, not a PS4 controller, so how well it works might be game-specific.

My initial impression is that's it's superior to the Razer Tartarus, and more comparable to the long-discontinued G13:
- it has more buttons, which is nice because my hotbars are 2x6, not 2x5,
- the stick is analog, so I can run in smooth circles rather than octagons, and walk by not pushing it all the way, and
- I can press the bottom row of buttons with the first knuckle on my finger, unlike the Razer where there's a plastic handrest in the way so I can to curl my hand into a claw to use the tip of my finger.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

it is also speculated that the drop rate is at least double what it was originally.

I'm sure some people on a discord somewhere have got a million people to contribute to some statistically significant results, but personally I've got 25 medals in 60 fates which is about 40%

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Qwertycoatl posted:

I'm sure some people on a discord somewhere have got a million people to contribute to some statistically significant results, but personally I've got 25 medals in 60 fates which is about 40%

I don't know exactly, but I think that the original version drop rate was somewhere in the 20% range. So that tracks.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

I am thankful for the event making the ARR relic atma grind a whole lot smoother. By the time I've got all the atmas from a zone that I need, I've got more than enough medallions - I don't particularly want any of the event weapons but into the armoire they'll go!

Also I've done enough atma grinding before and during this that I've started to delude myself into seeing a pattern where drop rates increase in different zones based on real world time of day. Confirmation bias is a hell of a thing.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Staggy posted:

I am thankful for the event making the ARR relic atma grind a whole lot smoother. By the time I've got all the atmas from a zone that I need, I've got more than enough medallions - I don't particularly want any of the event weapons but into the armoire they'll go!

Also I've done enough atma grinding before and during this that I've started to delude myself into seeing a pattern where drop rates increase in different zones based on real world time of day. Confirmation bias is a hell of a thing.

Personally, it was never the atma suffering that made me quit mostly it was the cursed books and I just ended up giving up on WHM right at the EW launch after I unlocked SGE.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Staggy posted:

it may not be time of day but you get more atmas when you have a good glam

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I was going to mindlessly do fates as a tank but blu is incredibly novel in having buttons to push in sub 70 fate content. I am loaded with hydro pull, tank moves and aoes + dots instead of instant kills. :911:

Got 15 medals in the same time as 5 yesterday, riding the train is fun.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Alder posted:

Personally, it was never the atma suffering that made me quit mostly it was the cursed books and I just ended up giving up on WHM right at the EW launch after I unlocked SGE.

Yeah, I've done a couple to completion; the books are going to be a case of just little bits of progress here and there spread out over who knows how long. I've got all the turn-ins stockpiled so after that, Aurum Vale for the mahatmas. So much Aurum Vale.

blatman posted:

it may not be time of day but you get more atmas when you have a good glam

:negative:

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Staggy posted:

Yeah, I've done a couple to completion; the books are going to be a case of just little bits of progress here and there spread out over who knows how long. I've got all the turn-ins stockpiled so after that, Aurum Vale for the mahatmas. So much Aurum Vale.

burst-y classes might do better with some other things, as NIN i was able to do moggle mog and titan unsync in 15-30 seconds. if you get a good dh/crit off hyosho ranryu, and aoe down the mooglesguard, moggle mog should die the first time he tries to res everyone

whm/sch need not apply for that unfortunately

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Staggy posted:

Please save yourself a ton of time and try out a few other dungeons to see if they got the bonus event when the hour ticks over*. Even if Aurum Vale can be done the fastest, there're a handful of other dungeons that are very close in time. Getting 200% of the payout for a run that's only 150% the duration (or less, I forget which it was but I had one dungeon with the bonus that was only like 30 seconds longer than AV) is a greater investment of your time.

*Edit: I say every hour even though the cycle happens every two hours because you can't rely on other people saying it happens on odd or even hours due to time zones and DST. Once you happen to catch a change on the hour you only have to check every two hours afterwards.

Onean fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 25, 2024

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a good resource completing my fishing log? I know some of these are real pains, but it'd be nice to get some knocked out, or just start to get a better grasp of the fisher. ffxiv angler/catbecamehungry I remember being one that people recommended, but it just feels....really busy and confusing, and doesn't just say "to catch the crystal perch, use butterworm during overcast/fog, at any time of day."

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Oxyclean posted:

Is there a good resource completing my fishing log? I know some of these are real pains, but it'd be nice to get some knocked out, or just start to get a better grasp of the fisher. ffxiv angler/catbecamehungry I remember being one that people recommended, but it just feels....really busy and confusing, and doesn't just say "to catch the crystal perch, use butterworm during overcast/fog, at any time of day."

https://ff14fish.carbuncleplushy.com/

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I have been using https://ff14fish.carbuncleplushy.com

It’s pretty overwhelming at first but I just started to pin a zone or 2 and jump around. Now I’ll usually try and fill up my iPad screen with the areas I’m focusing on and add on 2 or 3 fish somewhere totally different so I don’t get too bored.

This is for big fish, but I’d say there’s a 90% chance you’ll catch the others attempting to get it. You can also click on the bait or location and it’ll show you a map point or which vendors sell the bait.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I've been using a combination of Carbuncleplushy and the Teamcraft log helper—you can export between the two but Teamcraft is really nice if you are just filling the log in a zone in for the first time since you can sort by zones and specific fishing holes in a nice view

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Mordiceius posted:

You newcomers to the Yo-Kai Watch even have it easy!!! EASY, I TELL YOU!!!

For a look back into the past, during the original Yo-Kai Watch event in 2016, these were the requirements:

pre:
      Minion    Weapon
1st        1         7 
2nd        3         9
3rd        3        11
4th        3        15
5th        5        15
6th        5        15
7th        5        15
8th        7        15
9th        7        15
10th       7        15
11th       9        30
12th       9        30
13th       9        30
TOTAL     73       222
In comparison, now it is:

First minion - 1 Medal
Second minion onwards - 3 Medals
Total for all minions - 49 Medals

First weapon - 5 Medals
Second weapon onwards - 10 Medals
Total for all minions - 165 Medals

Originally 295 Medals for 13 weapons/minions vs the current 214 Medals for 17 weapons/minions.

drop rate? it's not even guaranteed?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Zeruel posted:

:unsmigghh:

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
There's also the newly-revamped Fisher's Guide to Eorzea by Fruity Snacks, who split it into six volumes, one for the basics and one each for ARR, HW, SB, ShB, and EW: https://afishersguidetoeorzea.carrd.co

It includes specific preparation and catch advice for most big fish.

E: just look at how nicely this is formatted! a suggestion for which specific fish to surface slap (you usually want to slap either the most common bite for the hole, or a bite that overlaps in timing and bite strength with the fish you're t argeting), and letting you know which bite you're looking for and if there are any overlaping fish.

quote:

Levinlight
Fishing Hole: Everschade
Bait: Syrphid Basket
Condition: 18:00 - 23:00, Any Weather
Minimum Gathering: 338

📋Prep
Arrive early to Everschade and cast out with Syrphid Basket. Catch a Mitten Crab, then use Surface Slap and Chum and wait for the window open at 18:00 before casting back out. Make sure you have enough time ahead of the window for GP to regen to full.

🎣Catching Levinlight
Once the window opens at 18:00, cast out. Levinlight is the only !!! bite in the hole, and so you should only attempt to hook !!! bites. This saves time and GP because we don’t have to reapply Surface Slap after each cast.

Once you get a !!! bite, use Hook to catch Levinlight.

🎣Levinlight Rarity
It is possible to go many windows without seeing Levinlight (I’ve seen some chains of 8 windows without seeing even a bite). It’s one of the rarest biting fish in the game! Please set expectations accordingly.

parasyte fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 26, 2024

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The regular medals for the minions are a guaranteed drop if you're wearing the watch. The legendary medals for the weapons are a pain in the rear end

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zeruel posted:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

look I'm no stranger to a grind. I completed eureka and bozja and I'm a casual big fisher. but for a temporary event this sucks kupo nuts.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I figure it'll be easier in a couple weeks

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

casual... big fisher...?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i was kind of wondering why i only got five of the minions and none of the weapons last time around, i can see why now that I've been reminded of the scaling costs - along with the fact that i was probably still leveling in ARR or something at the time and couldn't fly

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

sometimes I get the itch to catch a big fish or two. so I catch a big fish or two, then call it a day for a few months. the fish aren't going anywhere they can wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

To add my anecdata to the pile, 40% drop on legendary medals seems about right. It's not a punishing drop rate, but it can still run hot or cold, and it's also frustrating if there are shenanigans going on and you can't reliably get silver/gold on every FATE that spawns.