Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I don't think I've seen my accessories in years. I've got some preferences for armor style but a bunch of stuff fits them. I like plate armor and I like heavy cloth, so stuff like Ktiseos Maiming, Fierce Tyrant's, whatever. But I just switch between whole sets of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

hexwren posted:

ugh. can I pick the thread's brain about graphics issues?

I literally just upgraded my hardware like last month (2070 -> 4070) and my in-game performance is...fine? but something is clearly wrong - my wife's machine, which is like 90% the exact same hardware, is working properly. looks very nice. lots of frames, real smooth.

mine? I'm standing around in an empty corner of the gold saucer and I'm getting 65 FPS.

It's not capped in the in-game settings - in fact, when I open the config menu from the ff14 main menu, it reports 144 fps there. I've got the graphics at maximum settings, where it should be fine?

changing the graphics settings from maximum to standard doesn't give me any more fps

it's not capped in the nvidia software, I doublechecked that when I ran the benchmark.

what the gently caress am I overlooking?

What's your CPU speed? XIV is an insanely CPU-heavy game, and any player character is a pretty big load on the CPU.

With a 4070 I expect you wouldn't get much (if any) difference between everything turned all the way up vs down because you're not going to be GPU bound below like 4k.

edit: also, your actual CPU. i updated from a 5600x to a 5700x3d and my framerate in the limsa square went from a bit over 40 to right around 60, if you're on am4/am5 those x3d CPUs give a really huge boost

parasyte fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 26, 2024

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

hexwren posted:

ugh. can I pick the thread's brain about graphics issues?

I literally just upgraded my hardware like last month (2070 -> 4070) and my in-game performance is...fine? but something is clearly wrong - my wife's machine, which is like 90% the exact same hardware, is working properly. looks very nice. lots of frames, real smooth.

mine? I'm standing around in an empty corner of the gold saucer and I'm getting 65 FPS.

It's not capped in the in-game settings - in fact, when I open the config menu from the ff14 main menu, it reports 144 fps there. I've got the graphics at maximum settings, where it should be fine?

changing the graphics settings from maximum to standard doesn't give me any more fps

it's not capped in the nvidia software, I doublechecked that when I ran the benchmark.

what the gently caress am I overlooking?

turn off vsync, turn off any mods, turn off anything that might be eating frames running in the background.if you have a second monitor make sure it's running at a refresh rate that's similar to your main one. is your cpu older than hers and you're bottlenecked there?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I liked the manalis earrings enough to farm up all of them and put them on job-specific plates.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i could understand if I'm bottlenecking at the cpu, it's a ryzen 7 3700X, not the newest thing, but it's also the exact same cpu in the exact same motherboard as she has.

turned off vsync, running from the stock launcher, still 60-odd fps

i do have two monitors, but they're a matched pair, they should be refreshing at the same rate

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Question of the day - Do you have any "signature" glam items?

I mentioned this a few pages back when everyone was posting benchmark glamour shots, but if you ever see me using a glamour that does not have these glasses on send help:

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

hexwren posted:

i could understand if I'm bottlenecking at the cpu, it's a ryzen 7 3700X, not the newest thing, but it's also the exact same cpu in the exact same motherboard as she has.

turned off vsync, running from the stock launcher, still 60-odd fps

i do have two monitors, but they're a matched pair, they should be refreshing at the same rate

Do you both have the same Character and Object Quantity setting? Is there something different in the nameplate settings?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

For glams I usually go with Wayfarer's accessories as default because I like them and they're low-key so I don't need to worry about whether the chest I chose shows necklace or not. I try to be flexible inn the rest of the stuff, but for Bard glams (my main ones) I tend to lean heavily on Torrent Armguards of Aiming. They dye well enough to match most chestpieces, and add a bit of dramatic floof I enjoy.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm also a glasses enjoyer (elegant rimless) so that's what I usually roll. Some outfits need the hat though.

I hope the DT glasses slot allows us to use the actual in-game items and not the mostly ugly cosmetic accessories.

Other than that it's mostly big coats and big boots, of which there's lots of choice. .

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

parasyte posted:

Do you both have the same Character and Object Quantity setting? Is there something different in the nameplate settings?

she's at work right now, so i can't check hers, but my C&OQ setting was on maximum. reducing it to normal got me to 70 fps, minimum (which is actually kind of unnerving, seeing almost everyone just vanish from the gold saucer) only got me to 80-90.

her settings are probably on the default, whatever that is

should see if I've got some other nonsense running in the background that's eating up my cpu

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mister Olympus posted:

All of my glams are completely identical save for weapon. I have a look and I’m keeping it.

:same:

I just wear all glam clothes since I prefer to be more flexible than limited stuff. I admit I skip weapon glams unless it's super ugly.

All my bnnuy really needs are rimless eye glasses instead of hats.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
No good screenies right now but my glam item of choice is the postmoogle hat. It's cute and goes with many a cool jackets

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Mordiceius posted:

Ryukamu Earrings are visible on au ra horns AND with long hair and red pairs with green skin nicely.

Griffin Talon ring on the left hand is a consistent personal belonging.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

hexwren posted:

she's at work right now, so i can't check hers, but my C&OQ setting was on maximum. reducing it to normal got me to 70 fps, minimum (which is actually kind of unnerving, seeing almost everyone just vanish from the gold saucer) only got me to 80-90.

her settings are probably on the default, whatever that is

should see if I've got some other nonsense running in the background that's eating up my cpu

How's the performance with the new benchmark (and maybe with the Endwalker benchmark as a comparison)?
Click the save button when it's done to get a text file with more details

Tamba fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 26, 2024

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Alder posted:

:same:

I just wear all glam clothes since I prefer to be more flexible than limited stuff. I admit I skip weapon glams unless it's super ugly.

All my bnnuy really needs are rimless eye glasses instead of hats.
you and i are different people

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I was thinking back to glam items I missed this expansion, and I'm still upset my group fell apart before P4S. That weapon series is sick. I gotta find a group in DT that can crush it to bits a few times.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

like 90% of my tank glams have the kirimu fending pants.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Wrestlepig posted:

like 90% of my tank glams have the kirimu fending pants.

There's a lot of really neat pants patterns hiding under full-length chestpieces or thigh-high boots.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I need to go hunting for more tanky-looking low boots; most of my tank glams just have the boots eat the pants.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

Aside from some gloves and tops that hide them, every glam I use has the Ishgardian Knight's Ring and Meteor Survivor Ring, and the crystal necklace:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Bumbling through Elpis. Met Crystal Mom. I could probably make some biting remark about how Dynamis sure is a vital concept to introduce at such a late point in the story but it'd feel disingenuous because the lykaon segment really hit me deep in the feelings.
I used to work in a laboratory animal breeding facility as a caretaker, and while I wasn't really involved in the experimentation, I took care of the rats and mice on a daily basis. I fed them, acted as the only point of socialization to the solitary ones, watched them grow from baby to adult, and, yeah, more often than I'd had to assist in putting them down. And I knew they were literally raised with that eventuality, and that only the ones with requested genetic sequences were expected to live through, lest we end up with a boatload of mice nobody can use, but it still felt so painful to watch them go just because they weren't optimized beings. Everyone told me that you just numb yourself to the feelings with time because that's just the hard reality of what needs to be done but I never did.

And I guess I didn't expect this game to capture this extremely specific personal type of sadness. Much less from the guy who's been clowning around for the first half of Endwalker

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Baron earrings and one (Eternity) ring.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Dynamis is just a scientific categorization for the poo poo you've been doing since day one: Breaking the limit like only the WoL can. Action hero emotional super powers.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, they just put a new word on it, but it's been there from the start.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

goblin week posted:

And I guess I didn't expect this game to capture this extremely specific personal type of sadness. Much less from the guy who's been clowning around for the first half of Endwalker

I think at this point they've made very clear that modern day Fancy Dan and Hermes are two different people and the former is absolutely correct in that the latter would have hated him.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, modern Fandaniel is more Amon than anyone. Hermes is essentially a mental disorder to him more than an identity.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

goblin week posted:

Bumbling through Elpis. Met Crystal Mom. I could probably make some biting remark about how Dynamis sure is a vital concept to introduce at such a late point in the story but it'd feel disingenuous because the lykaon segment really hit me deep in the feelings.
I used to work in a laboratory animal breeding facility as a caretaker, and while I wasn't really involved in the experimentation, I took care of the rats and mice on a daily basis. I fed them, acted as the only point of socialization to the solitary ones, watched them grow from baby to adult, and, yeah, more often than I'd had to assist in putting them down. And I knew they were literally raised with that eventuality, and that only the ones with requested genetic sequences were expected to live through, lest we end up with a boatload of mice nobody can use, but it still felt so painful to watch them go just because they weren't optimized beings. Everyone told me that you just numb yourself to the feelings with time because that's just the hard reality of what needs to be done but I never did.

Endwalker's greatest strength as a story is how deeply personal so much of the writing is, which wasn't always a note they were able to hit in past expansions. Even if you haven't had a past like that, I think a lot of people can understand that kind of deep-seated grief and frustration in seeing a world that is, to your eyes, so clearly wrong while being surrounded by people who treat it as being right, and that adds a lot of resonance to a cast of characters that they don't have a ton of time to introduce or flesh out otherwise.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

And yeah, as someone else who has some experience in animal research, I was very impressed by how well the Elpis segment reflected the complicated psychological reality of that work. It makes me wonder if someone in the writing team had that background.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Mordiceius posted:

Speaking of go-to glam items, this made me wonder. So I have a question for everyone here.

I like the Aetheryte Earring, both Moogle Masks and the Miqo'te Shoes. My glams are a bit more varied now but for a while they almost all had those three things. They're easily my three favourite items.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Been working all day and missing out on glam chat but wanted to join in as it's my fave end game activity. My go tos are the high house half boots because they are cute and go with tons of stuff and the hose of happiness, because they're great pants for pulling off a more rustic adventurer appeal that goes well with non-armor glams.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Mordiceius posted:

These are items that will appear in majority of your glams. Items that your WoL feels incomplete without.
Artisan's Spectacles, dyed metallic silver. I can't wait for Dawntrail to let me add them to my trucker glam as well.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Speaking of go-to glam items, this made me wonder. So I have a question for everyone here.

i do! i have Copper Earrings on every single glam!

they're subtle, they match my little braid wotsits perfectly, and no class requirements! they go with everything!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mordiceius posted:

These are items that will appear in majority of your glams. Items that your WoL feels incomplete without.

The Redbill Scarf. If you can see my neck, this is almost always my neck slot glam of choice 90% of the time.

Also, as of the Dawntrail preorder, the Azeyma Earrings are now my default choice of earring glam because sun cat.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

goblin week posted:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Dynamis is just a scientific categorization for the poo poo you've been doing since day one: Breaking the limit like only the WoL can. Action hero emotional super powers.

Not only this, but they introduce the concept pretty early in EW as Akasa.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I’d probably spend more time playing other tanks if I could keep wearing the Creed Wings. The other winged helmets are too floppy for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dynamis is pretty great as a semi-retcon because there's a ton of stuff in both the main and side quests that boils down to "Wow, in times of great emotion, people are able to pull out absolutely unheard of powers, usually combined with someone screaming about how that shouldn't be possible" and Dynamis just makes it clear that is an actual in-world thing and not just the power of god and anime.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mordiceius posted:

For me, it is the Cactaur Earring and the Archaeodemon Horns

With the Cactaur earrings - Cactaurs have always been my favorite FF creature. And it's a great shade of green to add a little pop of color to any outfit. The only outfit I can think of that doesn't include these earrings is my swimsuit outfit - because I swap in the Bomb Earrings for the Moonfire Faire vibes.

WIth the horns - well... I like demon girls. So that's self explanatory. I think the only outfit of mine that doesn't include the horns is my fishing outfit.

Shaded Spectacles, virtually every one of my glams uses them.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dynamis is haki, thank you for coming to my seminar.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Elegant Rimless Glasses and the Wayfarer's Earring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

The Enaretos bracelet is the one glam item I've got on permanently, because it's a kickass bracelet. Also the vast majority of my plates these days use either the Menphina or Azeyma earrings, but there's a few with flower corsages.

I'd also wear flower head accessories all the time if they weren't all on the same side of the head as my kickass earrings. I need to balance out the accessories but YoshiP says no!