Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
all gauges is same
e: page snipe I hope clive says "this will be your final fantasy" in the event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zeruel posted:

all gauges is same
e: page snipe I hope clive says "this will be your final fantasy" in the event

Are you telling me he says this in XVI?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Electric Phantasm posted:

lmao

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Electric Phantasm posted:

it's loving great

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm still waiting for the Stranger Of Paradise crossover, so we can get a Jack Glam, and Jack Minion.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lines posted:

it's loving great

Guess I'm a "huge Clive fan excited to play his game for the first time" now.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
XVI is really good. A bit linear, its been called a bit Game of Thrones-y, but its very Spectacular and has great music. I need to play the DLC with Omega and Leviathan

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 29, 2024

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I've seen a playthrough of it, and the gameplay looks really cool, but I couldn't for the life of me give a poo poo about any of these characters.

Also Soken made the music so I don't even need to tell you how much the soundtrack rules. The music is drat good.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
forget about XVI, I need a VIIR crossover where Kyrie attempts to become a merc in Limsa

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

jalapeno_dude posted:

forget about XVI, I need a VIIR crossover where Kyrie attempts to become a merc in Limsa

We desperately need orchestrion rolls of Kyrie's theme, and the various Stamp and Happy Turtle remixes.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Go all out little Stamp...♪

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Yuffie shows up and gets furious at the pentamelders for wasting all that materia.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Rosalind posted:

Yuffie shows up and gets furious at the pentamelders for wasting all that materia.

Yuffie starts frothing at the mouth at the returning sprout somehow still pentamelded with Earth Resist materia.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

XVI is good and worth checking out once it comes to PC.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

2 weeks ago: party member's appendix pulls a surprise (he's fine, they caught it in time)
1 week ago: different party member's job has an emergency of some "things are broken and clients are mad" sort
This week: different party member's kid gets sick

I don't think we're clearing Savage before Dawntrail.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Bruceski posted:

2 weeks ago: party member's appendix pulls a surprise (he's fine, they caught it in time)
1 week ago: different party member's job has an emergency of some "things are broken and clients are mad" sort
This week: different party member's kid gets sick

I don't think we're clearing Savage before Dawntrail.

my static finally got the hang of para 3, then 3 people quit over weird interpersonal drama and we spent 2 weeks losing 75% of our raid time to PF lol.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I got until before Bahamut in XVI and just gave up on that game, poo poo's dreary and miserable and is lacking the Final Fantasy Whimsy and they killed off the only character I liked

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I really like XVI - I think in many ways its flaws might be less of an issue to XIV players (because many of them come down to "this is a CBU3 game which plays surprisingly like a single-player XIV"). I really like the characters and the setting but as you can see, mileage may vary. I think its major problem for me is that frankly it is somewhat sexist, even by the standards of a FF game, in the way it lacks many decent non-male characters. Not a dealbreaker for me but it rankled.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lines posted:

I really like XVI - I think in many ways its flaws might be less of an issue to XIV players (because many of them come down to "this is a CBU3 game which plays surprisingly like a single-player XIV"). I really like the characters and the setting but as you can see, mileage may vary. I think its major problem for me is that frankly it is somewhat sexist, even by the standards of a FF game, in the way it lacks many decent non-male characters. Not a dealbreaker for me but it rankled.

yeah that's Maehiro for you

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Runa posted:

yeah that's Maehiro for you

If they were to do a XVI-2 down the road - not that I think they will really... - the bones are there to do a lot to fix this. And I like the characters, we love our Gav etc., but this does kinda suck and it feels more egregious to me having just been playing FF7, which is by no means perfect in this regard but feels less bad.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The least surprising thing in the world about XVI is learning that it has the same lead writer as Heavensward. Before the patch series really raised the narrative stakes and delivered the big emotional payoff.

Random Encounter
Jul 19, 2007
Freeform for life
I don't understand, I'm confused. (Late EW) Did I misunderstand? The forum vote was to let the scions use the Ark AFTER they helped get it tuned up and after they shipped people to the moon. They wanted to use the teleporter in Garlemald, but it was inaccessible due to all the monsters.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

lines posted:

Like every other FF XVI is both the best and the worst FF.

I do agree that Jill was underutilised as hell, though.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Like every other FF XVI is both the best and the worst FF.

I do agree that Jill was underutilised as hell, though.

True statements. I think the crossover is probably going to slap though, and I can't pretend I'm not kinda excited to see Clive hanging out with the WoL.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Random Encounter posted:

I don't understand, I'm confused. (Late EW) Did I misunderstand? The forum vote was to let the scions use the Ark AFTER they helped get it tuned up and after they shipped people to the moon. They wanted to use the teleporter in Garlemald, but it was inaccessible due to all the monsters.

They abandoned the moonshot because once they found out about the Endsinger they realized there was nowhere to run to.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
EW: The vote is to let you use the Ark on what is likely a suicide mission and with the implication that the apocalypse will intensify to the point of no hope if they let you do that and it doesn't work and/or if they insist on ferrying people to the moon first.

The details are iffy but the narrative presentation makes it crystal clear that it's their ultimate show of faith in you after the conflict at the start of EW. They trust the Scions enough to give them their only hope for a long shot.

Or that's how I read it, anyway!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

How do people normally do job change stuff on controller? On PC I use a hotbar with gearset icons on - I guess I could set up something like that on the XHB but it uses a lot of slots.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

lines posted:

How do people normally do job change stuff on controller? On PC I use a hotbar with gearset icons on - I guess I could set up something like that on the XHB but it uses a lot of slots.
For me, the 8th hotbar (L2+left D-pad) is all job change buttons. And on my crafters and gatherers all have links to the other crafter/gatherer jobs on their hotbars natively.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
for a while I had one button to switch to Pugilist, and my pugilist had hotbars with all my jobs but as I kept unlocking more jobs it just got easier to go through my gearset list on the character menu

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

lines posted:

I have the jobs I swap to the most frequently on XHB 8 and otherwise use the mouse despite playing on a controller to click an expanding macro UI with all the jobs. During the times my mouse isn't connected at all, I just use the gearset menu.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

lines posted:

I'm just used to going into the menu, since job changing is never time critical.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

goblin week posted:

I got until before Bahamut in XVI and just gave up on that game, poo poo's dreary and miserable and is lacking the Final Fantasy Whimsy and they killed off the only character I liked

Really earning that clown avatar.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Sorry I'll play more of the game I don't like to bring your opinion of me up.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

lines posted:

i exclusively use the gearset menu in the character screen

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Really earning that clown avatar.

I actually agree with this assessment. Every major character is a tragic hero who is good and pure and sacrificing themselves to save all the oppressed, and it gets exhausting real quick. There's also a (early game plot hook, not a major spoiler) "magic is bad, actually" hook that feels antithetical to a series like Final Fantasy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

I actually agree with this assessment. Every major character is a tragic hero who is good and pure and sacrificing themselves to save all the oppressed, and it gets exhausting real quick. There's also a (early game plot hook, not a major spoiler) "magic is bad, actually" hook that feels antithetical to a series like Final Fantasy.

I've not played XVI yet, but that theme has been touched on before.

Magic is bad is like half the backstory to Final Fantasy 6, though. It is not something humans were meant to have, and it caused nothing but unbelievable loss for both espers and humans combined even if humans did have to use it to win the fight against Kefka. After the ancient war, magic users were hunted and killed leading to the people of Thamasa hiding their abilities.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Magic is bad is like....half of final fantasies. 5 has the void, 6's entire deal is this, 7s magic comes from mass mined and refined souls/planet blood with naturally forming materia being extremely rare, 8 its either an evil witch or actively destroying your brain to use, 12 is about getting magic nukes from the illuminati and how every part of that is bad, 13 is magic being branded onto humans by uncaring and spiteful demigods that turns you into either a crystal or a freak undead beast and 15 is all about how this is all the fault of the gods that empower you and their petty bullshit causes everyone to suffer.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 29, 2024

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've not played XVI yet, but that theme has been touched on before.

Magic is bad is like half the backstory to Final Fantasy 6, though. It is not something humans were meant to have, and it caused nothing but unbelievable loss for both espers and humans combined even if humans did have to use it to win the fight against Kefka. After the ancient war, magic users were hunted and killed leading to the people of Thamasa hiding their abilities.

It's not that magic was bad. Magic simply is.
The problem was human greed and what so many of them are/were willing to do once they got so much as a whiff of that power.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Abuse of magic is bad" is literally the plot of like half the games in the series. Magic flat-out causes serious harm or kills you in FF6, FF7, FF8, FF13, FF15 and FF16. You can toss FFX on that list if you're counting summons as magic.

Like to be clear:

FF6: Magic comes from the exploitation and destruction of other beings or, rarely, from them allowing you to use their corpses to power up but even that involves them dying.
FF7: Magic comes from the planet and is rare and unique which is why Capitalism found a way to literally stripmine it and use it to create super soldiers or monsters.
FF8: Magic is literally the legacy of an ancient wizard tyrant and corrupted by an evil sorceress from the future and human-made replicas can eat your loving memories.
FFX: Summons require people to die to power them.
FF12: Magic isn't bad but magic nukes are bad and the ancient race of super wizards are bad.
FF13: You get magic by being branded by malicious demigods.
FF14: Multiple kinds of magic are explicitly very bad to use, to the point where something like Red Magic exists because Black and White Magic both were literally destroying things.
FF15: Literally Kills You To Use.
FF16: Climate Change.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Fair enough, I haven't played very many of them. The point about tragedy still stands though; it almost feels like parody with how hard they milk it.