Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

Kheldarn posted:

Colin Ryan voices Apollo in Hades 2, and he sounds exactly the same. Alphinaud is cosplaying as a Greek god!

I actually just got to him a couple minutes ago! Very pleased. I was a big Sam Riegel fan during ARR but Colin Ryan as Alphinaud has grown on me so so much, and during my replay of ARR I was like… “who tf is this. Give me back my boy.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MechaX posted:

I get it when people say this but like... what do they envision exactly when they ask for things like this?

Tbf, single-player gameplay in FF14 is profoundly boring (in terms of the core gameplay itself, that is - walking places and fighting things solo). Like 99% of your time is spent doing completely brain-dead things to an even greater extent than many other MMOs.

Basically the entertainment is meant to be derived almost entirely from the story/writing. It's almost like a visual novel with cutscenes and the occasional Game Activity mixed in. But this is actually a big reason I enjoy it - it's very relaxing to just walk/fly around the pretty places with the nice music and see the various stories in both the MSQ and side-quests.

It's kind of baffling to me that someone can get all the way to Endwalker and not realize that this is what the game is like, though. I know some people play the game solely for end-game raiding stuff, but in that case it's just kind of assumed that they won't enjoy the MSQ.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

The Thancred Gear Solid duty was fun and Ur dumb if u disagree

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Big agree. I think it makes sense to do a duty that's a little different (like stealth) and give you a character who's toolkit is designed around it. It certainly beats the pants off of "do this dumbed down trial with a boring 6 button kit"

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Oxyclean posted:

I'm looking at the Dawntrail special site.... and have they basically said everything is on the table for the patch content this time around? New Limited Job, BLU update, New "Lifestyle content" (presumably something akin to Island,) "New Field Operations," Hildibrand, and "New Plans for Deep Dungeons" (which the phrasing makes me wonder if they'll rework the existing ones rather then making a new one, unless it was spoken about more clearly at a fanfest?) and Variant Dungeons.

It feels wild cause it feels like the previous expansions have usually lacked one or more of these sorts of things, or had one in lieu of another, so it makes it sound like there's just gonna be a shitload of stuff in the patches.

Hunter Noventa posted:

A lot of manpower this expansion was dedicated to adding duty support to all the previous expansions, with that done they've got the energy to basically add everything this time around.

That, plus the other expansions all had them doing one of those things for the first time, which necessitates a ton of background setup that we as players never see. This time around everything's likely had (most*) of that background work done, so each needs less overall time to implement.

*(There will certainly be new stuff added to some of it as they iterate and implement improvements like the changes from Eureka to Bozja, but it'll be much less than creating everything new.)

The new lifestyle thing seems to a lot of people to be more of a large helping of Ishgard Restoration with a touch of Island Sanctuary, but there's been so little information on it that nobody knows anything for sure. We're honestly probably not going to find out much about it until the PLLs for 7.1, so I'm not expecting much about it to come out during the 7.0 hype-building over the next month and a half.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
I remember people going absolutely ballistic about In From the Cold on release, including in my own circles. I wonder what lesson CBU3 learned from that wrt to "hard" solo duties and if we'll see anything similar in DT.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

It's a shame it was recieved that way, I thought it was incredible.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

the stealth solo duty was great and nerfing it was an act of cowardice

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
It was the best solo duty in the entire game

genovefa fedelmid
Sep 28, 2016

I'd like to see the "Cat bus" do THIS

VanillaGorilla posted:

Catching up on all the post-launch MSQ for Endwalker and....man.

There's lots I like about this game but they really need to somehow make playing the actual quests and being in the world not the most boring part of the experience. Every quest is basically just "fly to point, click on NPC". You barely even engage in combat for most of the main quests, and the game hasn't fundamentally evolved in this area....since ARR, really. It's really kind of sapped a lot of my growing excitement for coming back for the expansion. Dungeons and raids continue to be very cool and the storyline is still pretty well-told, but you have to wade through way too much cruft to get to the good parts of the game.

personally I love this playable cutscene game. No sarcasm whatsoever, I'd take several hour long cutscenes where I don't lift a finger and instead just watch my WoL pal about with Alphinaud, Y'shtola etc anyday over '10 more bear asses pls' wow

the msq is what makes this game special, because once you're done and dusted with the msq then its just 2 years of MMO stuff anyway already. Raids/pvp/world content/crafting/gathering/housing/reps etc

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

It's a shame it was recieved that way, I thought it was incredible.

Honestly, I think it's more regarded as divisive than reviled overall. There are a lot of people that hate it, don't get me wrong, but I think there's just as many that adore it (I'm in this group) while there are of course those that fall in between. I don't think anyone is inherently correct, though. It's something that's really going to resonate with people in negative and positive ways, through both gameplay and narrative perspectives, so it's going to be a very subjective experience. It's both good and bad due to that, since it can raise the overall work for those that like it but also lower it for those that don't.

I don't see the writers taking us in a direction that could give us another In From the Cold in DT since that had a payoff that was built up through multiple expansions of prep and a more intense, slightly darker tone of subject material doesn't (yet) fit the vibes they've been giving us, even the not-so-subtle hints that this'll be more than just a vacation.

I'm sure they'll be putting in at least one slightly more complicated Solo Duty in DT, since they're proven to be popular to enough of the players in the various X.55 ones and IFtC in particular (edit: I shouldn't forget the WoL v Zenos one, either, but that's honestly more of a slightly complicated fight than overall more complicated mechanics, what with the searching for stuff while navigating truly deadly enemies), but I don't know that it'll be as emotionally impactful and mechanically complicated. I'm certainly up for being surprised, I liked it after all, I'm just not sure they'll want to do it at this point in the arc of the story.

Onean fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 7, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

New moogle event:

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/mogmog-collection/202405/nprq4eanp3

I have most of this already :(

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Besides the earring, guess it's time to farm more mounts to flip on the market board this mog tome event. :sigh:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Clerical Terrors posted:

I remember people going absolutely ballistic about In From the Cold on release, including in my own circles. I wonder what lesson CBU3 learned from that wrt to "hard" solo duties and if we'll see anything similar in DT.

the lesson they need to learn is to make more of them, and keep the easy and very easy choices if you fail it

The treasure maps from this moogle event are different from the last, these should be guaranteed portal level 90 ones

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Did they just add the rare DR mount but not the rare Dalriada mount? :arghfist::(

In From The Cold was great but for me at least it hit right because I one shot it, but just barely. So it carried a huge amount of tension the whole way through. If I had to restart it half a dozen times like a lot of streamers I've seen, it definitely would have lost the tension and become annoying.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 7, 2024

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The only person I saw be lovely about it was my friend who got into it, immediately clicked through all of the messages without reading them, died to the first dodgeable aoe, and then turned it down to Very Easy while streaming. I was not happy about it :v:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Thundarr posted:

In From The Cold was great but for me at least it hit right because I one shot it, but just barely. So it carried a huge amount of tension the whole way through. If I had to restart it half a dozen times like a lot of streamers I've seen, it definitely would have lost the tension and become annoying.

Yeah I think I'm in this boat. It pretty much lives or dies if people can pull through or not, but the tension felt pretty important for selling the moment of the story.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I loved In From the Cold but it did have some legit signposting issues where you could easily overlook where you’re supposed to go and end up wandering around wasting a lot of time

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I loved In From the Cold and the time crunch felt great finishing it on my first try but if I failed it repeating it would have made me despise it so I'm not surprised its so divisive. Its my favorite solo duty in the game but I could easily see myself hating it

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

pretty much everything about in from the cold works imo bc of unavoidable points of friction. if it were any better signposted you'd immediately and very boringly lose the tension of scrambling to figure out where you need to go and what's going on. if it's any easier, combat no longer feels interesting and tense. the very premise was (understandably) off-putting to some people. I don't think you can "fix" any of that without the whole thing losing its punch

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
you know what I'm bad at? stealth, navigating maps, and timed missions. In From The Cold was a fantastic stressful nightmare but I did have to restart once, and if I had to restart a second time if probably have thrown the controller down the stairs.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

genovefa fedelmid posted:

personally I love this playable cutscene game. No sarcasm whatsoever, I'd take several hour long cutscenes where I don't lift a finger and instead just watch my WoL pal about with Alphinaud, Y'shtola etc anyday over '10 more bear asses pls' wow

the msq is what makes this game special, because once you're done and dusted with the msq then its just 2 years of MMO stuff anyway already. Raids/pvp/world content/crafting/gathering/housing/reps etc

Your post made me think of guilty gear strive, which I picked up a couple months ago. The "story mode" is just a series of cutscenes you watch, entirely removed from the gameplay.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

i failed it because i took my hands off the keyboard at the end and accidentally pressed a key to open the chatbox when i hurriedly put them back on to do the qte. i nearly logged out

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

aers posted:

i failed it because i took my hands off the keyboard at the end and accidentally pressed a key to open the chatbox when i hurriedly put them back on to do the qte. i nearly logged out
IIRC it was also the only or one of very few QTEs that wouldn't lock out your keybinds, so my usual way of doing QTEs (randomly spam letter keys on my keyboard) just opened a bunch of menus instead of filling the bar.

Not sure if that changed.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

aers posted:

Owned

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

What tends to bug be for those is the lack of checkpoints. I don't mind failure, but when I've just run across the entire map and lost because some enemies spawned behind me when the NPCs triggered them and I was busy fighting ones that hadn't needed a trigger at all (Nadaam and one of the Nin quests do this, I know) it's frustrating to know I'll have to run all that way again, making sure to follow the slow NPCs this time. If you're going to have the duty be slow and cinematic, add checkpoints.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Thundarr posted:

Did they just add the rare DR mount but not the rare Dalriada mount? :arghfist::(

Same, I beat it on my first try with single-digit seconds left on the clock. And before they made it easier a couple weeks in. The tension conveyed by that duty is incredible. But I can imagine it would be frustrating to replay though, but that's why you can change the difficulty after failing something (do streamers not do that? let chat make fun of you lol)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

In From The Cold is good and I hope the devs don't listen to whining westerners in regards to future content. :pray:

e: It's fine to add a Very Easy toggle or w/e at the first go instead of making you fail it first though, for people who don't enjoy them. But they should still exist.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 7, 2024

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
When I did In From The Cold, I got lost for awhile and finally found where I was supposed to be only to just barely lose. So not only was I frustrated by my first, over-long attempt, I then had to deal with the slow, boring, frustrating gameplay a second time, which completely destroyed any enjoyment I could have gotten out of the following cutscenes.

It didn't help that all the tension of that moment felt entirely fake, because (major EW spoilers) I'm the main character and this is a story being sold to me, so there's no world where this has any long-term effect on my character. The worst that could happen is that Zenos would get to cause problems while in my body, but that didn't even occur to me at the time because I was too busy being annoyed by the unfun gameplay I was slogging through.

Endwalker had a plenty of very high highs, but the lows were (IMO) the lowest since ARR. It doesn't help that Shadowbringer was all highs, and I started playing this game recently enough that I only caught up with the MSQ during mid-ShB patch content, so it was still pretty fresh in my mind.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I have no clue how you take most of the villains seriously or enjoy any of the stakes if "its an mmo, they can't really hurt me or meaningfully change the status quo" takes you out of scenes

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if i've said it once i'll say it again, you have to have the suspension of disbelief when interacting with any sort of videogame story to not go "none of this matters because i'm piloting the only playable character." it's going to be a pretty pisspoor experience if you never let story beats have impact like that

edit: ^^^ not even limited to mmos

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Noper Q posted:

It didn't help that all the tension of that moment felt entirely fake, because (major EW spoilers) I'm the main character and this is a story being sold to me, so there's no world where this has any long-term effect on my character. The worst that could happen is that Zenos would get to cause problems while in my body, but that didn't even occur to me at the time because I was too busy being annoyed by the unfun gameplay I was slogging through.

:confused:
The entire point of that sequence is that he’s going to try to use your body to kill your friends, and you’re scrambling to stop him. what do you mean it didn’t occur to you at the time?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Noper Q posted:

When I did In From The Cold, I got lost for awhile and finally found where I was supposed to be only to just barely lose. So not only was I frustrated by my first, over-long attempt, I then had to deal with the slow, boring, frustrating gameplay a second time, which completely destroyed any enjoyment I could have gotten out of the following cutscenes.

Endwalker had a plenty of very high highs, but the lows were (IMO) the lowest since ARR. It doesn't help that Shadowbringer was all highs, and I started playing this game recently enough that I only caught up with the MSQ during mid-ShB patch content, so it was still pretty fresh in my mind.

The entire sequence there is not about a threat to you personally. It is about a threat to other people that you are desperately rushing to stop.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

the cutscenes after In From the Cold were unintentionally funny for me because I had just gotten a shadowless robe from Heroes Gauntlet right beforehand, so my character shows up on the horizon wearing an Ascian robe that no one has ever seen in them in before and then Alisaie is like "uhh.. can't put my finger on it but does the WoL seem off to you guys?"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It also helped a bit that at the time I did In From The Cold I had uncommonly set a pince-nez as my head slot to go with the rest of my ensemble. So I never saw Zenos-me's eyes. The expressions under the blank pink circles made the whole thing feel that much creepier. I don't think a catgirl head can properly convey Zenos' sociopath stare so it just would have looked like me but slightly more smug.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Countblanc posted:

I have no clue how you take most of the villains seriously or enjoy any of the stakes if "its an mmo, they can't really hurt me or meaningfully change the status quo" takes you out of scenes

The onus is on the writers to establish credible stakes even under these circumstances. For example (end of shb and ew spoilers):

I totally bought in to the final sequence of shb where you're overflowing with light because even though in the back of my head it was obvious that we would ultimately prevail, how they told that section did enough heavy lifting to make that part seem horrific. Contrast this with the daisy chain of heroic sacrifices in Ultima Thule that fell completely flat to me because so few people actually stay dead in this game. Also, all of the speeches the assorted dying scions gave all seemed like they knew they'd be back too. So I was pretty blase walking through ultima thule. Zone largely saved by me being invested in the omicron and dragon lore tbh.Also the EA being delightfully weird head separatists.

Edit: I should note that I bought in on in from the cold as well, which is part of why I liked it so much. The timer and the frustration of having to search a fairly large area while be sneaky about it really ramped up the tension for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

The onus is on the writers to establish credible stakes even under these circumstances. For example (end of shb and ew spoilers):

I totally bought in to the final sequence of shb where you're overflowing with light because even though in the back of my head it was obvious that we would ultimately prevail, how they told that section did enough heavy lifting to make that part seem horrific. Contrast this with the daisy chain of heroic sacrifices in Ultima Thule that fell completely flat to me because so few people actually stay dead in this game. Also, all of the speeches the assorted dying scions gave all seemed like they knew they'd be back too. So I was pretty blase walking through ultima thule. Zone largely saved by me being invested in the omicron and dragon lore tbh.Also the EA being delightfully weird head separatists.

The entire point of that sequence is that they know they will be back if you succeed. They are gambling on you succeeding and throwing themselves into the unknown of despair. There is a reason Alisae's so upset about having to leave you alone, versus being scared of dying. She has faith in you but she hates that you're walking into the face of utmost despair alone and without support. Like the literal premise of the entire sequence is that your friends are decorporating themselves to support you by altering the world around you and the final walk is literally "You Are Not Alone."

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yeah well we know Superman is going to win but that doesn't stop comic writers from coming up with ways to threaten him (or his friends and family who are famously not indestructible)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I understand these "like they would really do it" story complaints, but at the same time, you're basically kneecapping your own story investment by constantly refusing to buy in. On some level, you need to surrender yourself to the story. I'm not saying you're wrong for being unable to do that, but I also don't think the writers are wrong for expecting you to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Failboattootoot posted:

Edit: I should note that I bought in on in from the cold as well, which is part of why I liked it so much. The timer and the frustration of having to search a fairly large area while be sneaky about it really ramped up the tension for me.

I mean yeah that was kind of the entire point of that sequence. Earlier sacrifices were made by people expecting that was the end for them, until Shadowbringers hammered home the theme of "don't sacrifice everything when you have friends to help carry the burden. You fool. You imbecile." In Ultima Thule they realize the only way to open a path for you is to basically give up existing entirely, but they go willingly because they trust you that much. They have absolute faith that you'll fix things, even if they aren't sure that fixing things means they get to come back for all the bravery they were trying to show. Plus it was the declared end of the storyline so far, so if they were going to kill people off that would have been the time to do it and that thought was at the back of my mind.

It's ok to apply some verisimilitude sometimes!