Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

So I got up to 72 with Sage and did a few low level dungeons and a few Holminster Switch runs. I... think I like this class, but I also feel like I have a lot to learn about it.

It essentially having a Dark Arts button is weird to me, but not necessarily clunky (well, I dunno, needing 2 GCDs to put out your basic shield does feel like a little much in a clutch situation). But the few runs I did seem to really, really depend on how much the tank liked cooldowns. There was one tank who just melted in the big first pull in Holminster, while I had another one that rotated cooldowns and it was fine. I guess given how many Instant buttons this class have, you shouldn't really be shying away from using most of them even in mob situations right? Like I blow that 30 sec party-wide damage reduction ability like it's going out of style. But if the tank starts getting low in health, I've found it pretty difficult to get them back into a position where I can start DPSing again (I am too used to WHM just having a "you get one free pass" full health button). Hell, even as Scholar, Emergency Tactics + Adlo healed for some chunky amounts of HP in an absolute clutch; I don't seem to have a clutch heal button for Sage and I find myself needing to stay on top of everything at all times.

But man, the feeling when an enemy does a party-wide attack but you timed your shields and buffs just right where it does almost zero damage... that's the kind of feeling that is going to keep me playing this class.

Sage doesn't have as much in the way of instant make HP go up tons but it has so many high power shield options that you can afford to be a little slower because the enemy has to slowly chunk through what you do throw on which means your absurdly powerful HoTs or insta-heals or even your lame-rear end standard heal can do work, and of course any DPSing you do contributes as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's not 2 GCDs. Setting up the gate is a mudra style button with a 1 second GCD to follow and since the Eukrasian spells are all instant cast it's actually the same amount of time. Hell depending on how little you're prioritizing Sp. Speed it might be faster. It's just two inputs over one.

It's core class feature and meter is all about spending for 3 short cd OGCDs that make HP go big up what are you talking about? It's got more instant HP go Up than it does shields.

Compared to the other healing classes that is one area where it is probably the weakest. Every other healing class has similar or better options.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How do you even count "onscreen NPC hours" in FFXIV.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

With a stopwatch. Might be hard to count her though, never know where she might be hiding

I'm just saying she is onscreen basically 24/7 in the Doma stuff so that is technically infinite hours if you're doing Doma reconstruction!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

wizardofloneliness posted:

I am curious to learn more about the alliance raids now that we got more of a hint about Pandaemonium. Presumably there's also going to be a Four Lords/Werlyt equivalent too but I'm not sure if they've talked about that at all yet.

I wonder if this time they'll use the three trials as part of the new story instead of sidequesting them off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's not even the most hilarious MMO launch of 2021 thanks to New World.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

There is a ton of nuance and detail here, as well as a massive bucket of non-trivial problems to solve, but the solution to this is that your out-of-game infra shouldn't be self hosted. You push those pieces to AWS et al. It is bonus complex in that such a transition will take years and if such a change were to happen in time for 7.0, you'd probably have to start talking 6 months ago.

Regardless, we are talking about a game who's queue system can't handle packet loss, so...

AWS literally went down this week.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mainwaring posted:

Saying all these problems were easily fixable is dumb, bit it's also clear that there are some poor design decisions within the client that are exacerbating issues.

The main problem is this 15mim reconnect when the client is in the queue. I can think of several reasons why it might be a good idea to restart these connections periodically, but the fact that it's done with very little error handling is a problem. There absolutely needs to be some sort of automatic retry behaviour, it needs to not completely crash the client if it fails and it needs to be much better at saving your queue spot. It's exactly the sort of issue that could stay hidden until the servers get really really busy, but hopefully they're able to roll out a fix for it soonish.

Oh yeah, no, there are absolutely problems with FFXIV's spaghetti backend too that make the issues worse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

About the end of Zone 5 and the dungeon.

I don't really get how Hermes thinks this was "fair" in any way whatsoever and he isn't the greatest monster in history.

It isn't fair as in "This a good thing to do." It's fair as in "I want to see how this situation would actually play out without us having psychic future knowledge because I need proof that life isn't futile and meaningless." He wants that to be proven. It also has the convenient side effect of erasing his own memory so he doesn't have to acknowledge his crime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

EW PLD is amazing now that it's got some very strong self-sustain. Also big swords. The Holy Sheltron sfx might be one of the coolest in the game. You're just a slab of steel that can pretty much live forever.

EW Paladin is probably the best version yet for "you don't really NEED a healer in dungeons that often." I've had more than one situation where a Sage ate poo poo and then I just proceeded to tank-slash-heal the rest of the party through the entire fight, which was often possible but EW makes it feel extremely good since you have sustain beyond Clemency.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

The thing to note about the 7th calamity is (level 73-ish, before first ShB trial) that Louisoix managed to contain the damage. EVERY other Calamity has basically remade the world and forced mankind (in the generic all-races sense) to start from scratch,

Yeah, I think it's worth noting that the 7th Calamity was basically the least destructive calamity to date. Each previous one was basically a biblical level disaster that wiped out most civilization. Bahamut "only" created disasters and changed Ishgard into a frozen hellscape and reshaped the land as opposed to "That one time someone literally made an Ark."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am pretty much banking on something that shares Ninja gear and another Caster. I doubt they'll aid another Maiming or Striking job until they get that out of the way, and I don't expect a new Tank or Healer since they have 4/4 and can focus on the relatively easier task of new DPS instead.

Oxyclean posted:

This is where I'm at. Only downside is AST having some Timey magic aspects to them.

Other option is for them to pull another Gunbreaker/Sage and have a uniquely XIV job that only sorta borrows from classic FF aesthetics/vibes.

We didn't get it this expansion but getting Gaia style stuff as a Time Mage would kind of own. Big ol' fuckoff hammer as your weapon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

That's not what "green magic" is in FF games (it's pretty much only in Ivalice games and it's protective magic like Protect, Shell, etc.), but I could see a Geomancer, though. People always mention the geomancy stuff in the AST quests but nobody can seem to agree on whether that means Geomancers will never be in FFXIV or not so I say gently caress it, add Geomancer. Geomancer's cool.

Honestly Geomancer would work just fine as an offshoot of conjuring. (Which is basically how it functions in those quests.) Any Geomancer would start at least at level 80 and by that time White Mage has gone full-on Holy Power so it wouldn't feel too weird to have a job that instead goes full on Nature Power. The only 'problem' would be that it's difficult to imagine it not as a healer based off what they already established.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Maybe they could have decent healing capabilities like Red Mage has? It'd kinda take away some of Red Mage's uniqueness though. Or instead of healing, maybe some strong buffing/support capability, like a caster take on the Dancer "lower personal DPS but boosts others' DPS" thing.

It'd probably be OP as hell but it'd be interesting to see something like Leylines But For Other People. IIRC the quest even mentions them using leylines (as in the thing, not the BLM ability) so you could have them create patches of buff where the skill ceiling is learning when and where to use various patches both for your own DPS and for your party.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In terms of classic FF jobs, the ones we haven't gotten yet are:

Berserker (though Warrior fills this niche so hard we might as well)
Chemist (outside of the Alchemist crafter class)
Magic Knight
Mime (though Gogo shows up in the Blue Mage quests)
Time Mage
Hunter (But we already have a bow-focused class.)
Viking (Basically Warrior)
Necromancer
Canonneer (unlikely as hell)
Beastmaster/Mediator/Trainer/etc (Probably due for a Limited Job if anything.)
Oracle (probably too much overlap with Astro but maybe not?)
Geomancer
Calculator (Mathbot... THE CLASS)
Thief (Though again Ninja basically fills this role since it evolves from Rogue.)

I'm not sure if there are not any other 'big' ones that aren't variations on existing classes already (like one of the ten flavors of Holy Armored Knight or Bow-Wielding Sniper.) There are plenty of iconic characters-turned-classes they could go for, like SOLDIER or something based around Terra/Zidane/something where you can temporarily Trance into a more powerful mode like Reaper.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 17, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'm trying to think what weapons from the franchise haven't been used yet that they can use for new jobs.

Flails
Boomerangs
Bells
Brushes
Handbags

Honestly the list is basically endless. This is the franchise where you can reliably beat people to death with a sports ball.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They'll add a new class type, Ranged Melee.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zeruel posted:

how can you have a geomancer when conjurers and white mages know Stone

Geomancers canonically know Stone too!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xarbala posted:

Is there a hamsa mount and if so, how do you get it

Dodo is close but not quite

You'll almost certainly have to wait for the elephant beast tribes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

Akasa/dynamis made perfect sense to me as soon as it was brought up. you know why? because think of the 2 things you need to summon a primal: 1) a bucket of aether crystals and 2) raw emotion. emotion and prayer have always had an inexplicable power in FFXIV and now there's something to finally explain it a bit. i think it works really well.

Not just that but countless quests throughout the game. XIV has a lot of moments where courage, hot-blooded anger, rage or other strong emotions grant you power above and beyond what you 'should' have. Characters comment on it and everything. It's Anime Friendship Powerup but dynamis just codifies it as an actual thing in the setting rather than something we accept because anime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love Holy Shelltron. With the reduced numbers its heals actually feel really good even if they don't have the impact of Darkest Night

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Good ol' FFXIV names. I just got a random dungeon with Capitalism Propaganda and Communist Vanu as the tank and healer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair you can get a solid gold version of this without crafting if you're willing to shell out 50 million gil!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Personally, no, I don't enjoy a good boss fight and the Endsinger was a drag. I'm here for the story, the setting, and the characters, I actively dislike how difficult many story-mandated fights have become. I think that whole thing falls so completely flat for me because no, I don't enjoy the boss fights. I enjoy the feeling of helping people and making the world a better place.

It is not a writing flaw that the game assumes you did not hate the gameplay of the game you put 200+ hours in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

The trials and big fights are a tiny part of that 200+ hours. They're a nuisance I put up with to get at the gameplay I do enjoy.

Trials, dungeons, and duties make up a significant part of the majority of the game's story. Like if you play for just crafting that is fine but the MSQ does not let you craft through it as hilarious and rad as that would be.

It is like complaining the main story doesn't reflect the fact you only play the game for PVP.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Why are we still taking "they did it for grapes" at face value when the literal story itself makes fun of Elidibus for believing such an obviously tongue in cheek answer.

He is an Actual Factual Child idolizing Azem too much to take it for the evasion that it is and Emet all but says as much!

Because multiple other characters confirm it was for exactly that reason? Like it is stated onscreen. You even have a dialog option to confirm it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

"If I recall correctly," he began at length, with the air of one about to reveal a grave truth, "the grapes grown on that isle are particularly delicious. Or so Azem said. They must be truly remarkable."

"Indeed." I couldn't bring myself to shatter his faith. I did, however, vow to treat my "friends" to a lecture on priorities.

Blissfully ignorant of my misgivings, the young man smiled to himself again, and bade me farewell. As he wandered away, I swore I heard him murmur something about Azem's "ever refreshing perspective."

The text is blatantly making fun of Elidibus for believing this is the actual reason. You get an opportunity to make a "haha funny callback" dialogue option on your Sundered Self. At no point are we meant to believe that "grapes" is the actual reason, it is a catty way of keeping their motivations ambiguous with a tongue in cheek answer to avoid defining a character that is closely related to the protagonist.

There are characters in a specific zone who bring it up. like in Ellis there are multiple references to the grapes as a sign of how incourragable Azem is. Regardless of the short story people treat it as a valid interpretation of Azem behavior

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 20, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is Nothingway Erasure and I wo-

Actually he is probably fine with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ironslave posted:

I am still furious we never got that as a mount.

Same. You gave us ONE Primal as a mount and it was the wrong one!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've only just started the raid but

I would bet anything Ericthonios is the Labahrea we ended up knowing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I was reflecting on Endwalker, as one is want to do, and I caught myself thinking I really miss job quests.

Yeah. I understand why they kind of phased them out because you were stretching some of them a bit thin and it was nice to have plots actually resolve instead of another five expansions of "Okay, but we're REALLY going to cure Tonberries eventually" but it does make things feel a bit more empty.

If they do role quests I'd like to see them feel more geared towards the classes. Like give melee DPS a fighting tournament or something, give ranged DPS some sort of traveling carnival, give healers a plague to battle, etc, etc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Savage version will be dyeable most likely, right? I like some of those designs but pure white ain't doin it for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

That's how it tends to be.

I figured but I couldn't remember and couldn't log on to check since *waves hands at queue*

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The timer is a massive non issue now since you have a comical amount of instacasts.

Also the raid thing is dumb. If you don't want to do raids don't queue for it. It isn't the best exp to time ratio and if all you want is chill easy exp Bozja is right there and fates are only slightly less while letting you grind for big money items.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 22, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't leave queue but I prefer Prae more because CM requires juuuust enough attention that I can't really zone out for long periods of time but not enough attention to be fun.

Also the magitek armor / cannon gimmick fight feels slow and boring as poo poo because nothing can actually hurt you so it's 90% waiting for the Magitek Loaders.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

Council Fights are real fun (WoW in general has neat boss fights for raiding, and I adore the whole journey into a place and fight your way through mixtures of bosses and trash packs to clear out a huge castle as far as raiding goes). Like, Castle Nathria may have a little too much trash but exploring it and killing the 10 bosses inside feels wonderful in a raid team of your friends. Basically imagine if you got 9-12 bosses in a single patch, in a zone equivalent to all 3 Alliance Raid zones packed together.

Council Fights in FFXIV would be workable in normal raids. The basic idea is three bosses, two can be tanked, one cannot, kill them in a certain order because when one dies the other two are buffer and fully healed. The closest I would say in FFXIV is the Dragon add phase from Nidhogg Extreme. Or the split phase from the final weeping city boss. Or the add phase in Titania.

There’s also Twin Emperor fights, which are split the raid in two to fight two bosses, keep them apart (or together) and kill them at the same time. Which FFXIV also does a bit with add phases, Ruby Weapon EX right at the start of the second phase has one. Hades EX has one during his phase transition.

You should do BA.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

So anyone who mains DRG on keyboard can you post your keyboard setup? I get annoyed with the class because it's both slow on gcd and fiddly on buttons having two separate 5 button combo strings is annoying especially when the last two hits double up on each other. And I have a penchant for fat fingering it in a way that I don't on SAM/MNK/NIN.

I've mostly just been playing DRG because it's convenient and the melee I have at highest level, but I'm really considering powering through monk or ninja instead at this point. Likely monk since as much as I like ninja, so much of their balance is around Trick Attack and they seemingly take a huge personal damage hit for it.

I don't main it but the people I know who do use the Combo plugin

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Tataru was an Arcanist, she never got that far along.

That we know. She has massive unbelievable aether reserves though so she could probably do it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

About Ala Mhigo

It's also worth noting that Ala Mhigo wasn't exactly a fantastic place before the Garlean invasion. They were run by a literal genocidal mad king. Him being disposed was what allowed the Garleans to easily invade. So "we're fighting to go back to what we were before", especially for someone too young to remember anything else, isn't exacty something that is easily going to draw excitement from those the citizens who don't buy into pride for the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Does anyone have a picture of what the Fae Sage weapon is?